PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: July 1

Teach
07-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone…no time for thorough analysis today. So, I’m going - to take a phrase out of ice hockey - and handicap “on the fly”. Today, you’ll get my abridged version. I welcome your thoughts. I’d like nothing better than to make “a bob or two” for the upcoming Fourth of July. I’ve already done a cursory “gliming” of the form, but I’ll approach this on a race-by-race basis. If you wish, we can compare notes. I’ve already jotted down some thoughts for each race; however, per usual, I’m going to tune in to “Talking Horses” at 12:05 to see what Messrs. Serling, Blewitt, Donovan, or any combination of the three, have to say. They offer insightful comments. I’ll be back about 12:35 with my opinions on Race One. As my French grandmother used to say: “A bientot”.

Teach
07-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Race One:

Two horses: :9: Carson Hall with Javier Castellano. High percentage jockey, high percentage trainer: Chad Brown. Off over two months, a concern; yet decent morning works. Should stalk from outside post. Needs trip. Needs to be ready. Other possible: :5: Top Surprize. Must admit…not a big Jose Espinoza adherent, one win in 92 tries. Yet, his mount is the class of this race: Fort Marcy, Jamaica… Gee, just let the horse run his race. This horse has primo turf pedigree. If he gets the trip? Others, :7: Isn’tlovejustgrand gets Ramon Dominguez (big jockey switch). Looks like he can hit the board. Also, :6:Freshman Dorm. The horse has an incredible record at this distance: 5: 4-1-0. Alan Garcia for Kiaran McLaughlin.

Teach
07-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Race Two:Make no mistake :6: Mulheeb is a very well-bred horse, e.g., A.P. Indy, Alydar, etc., His maiden-breaking win was most impressive - the early fractions were more sprint-like than route. He now shortens up a tad, a plus factor. Should be “on the engine” and playing catch-me-if-you-can. Alan Garcia for trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. :4: Love To Run also recently broke his maiden. He got the mile distance in his last, a perfect trip; yet, I’m a little suspect. Yes, I think he can be there and hit the tote, but “buy insurance”. Junior Alvarado is a solid jockey and John Kimmel is having an excellent meet. :2: Worth A Buck is four for 7 lifetime at the distance, two wins and two seconds. The ever-improving Jose Ortiz rides for the trainer and former jockey, Mike Miceli (he saddled a winner, yesterday). Finally, a gambler’s throw, :7: Divine Child. This Pleasant Colony-bred grey gelding has a solid lifetime record: 19: 5-1-3. Jose Lezcano, a high percentage jockey is in the irons for trainer Jason Servis.

Teach
07-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Race Three:

:10: Vendor Financing won at five furlongs on the turf back in March. I like both the fact that there should be some speed upfront and the fact that the filly should get a stalking-position trip from her outside post. Rajiv Maragh for the razor-sharp Terri Pompay, Others worthy: :8: Princess Malia should also be right there. The filly is cutting back a furlong; she should be on or near the lead as they turn intro the stretch. Also, :9: Stay Composed will be another front runner. I’m looking here for a minor award, but surprises do happen. Can certainly be used in gimmicks. :6: Resoundly hasn’t been out since the end of last year; yet, the Storm Cat-bred filly has a solid turf record and is shortening up to a six-furlong sprint. Cornelio Velasquez rides for Linda Rice.

Teach
07-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Race Four:

It’s “Bombs away!”. Ready on the left…ready on the right… Oh, I’ll lead off with the “The Logical,” :4: Pianist. The fact that the Southern Halo-bred filly is shortening up a “teenth” helps. She does look solid; but her maiden-breaking win occurred last September at “The Spa”. That was 10 months ago. Yet, the morning work-tab is good. Javier Castellano - he already has one win on the race-card - is in the irons for Chad Brown. Underneath, it’s telephone-numbers time. Either I’m going to be hero, or a goat. Here we go. Let’s start outside with :13: Praise Band. I have two words: Joel Rosario. This horse can be there. I repeat: This horse can be there. Another out-in-leftfield pick is :9: Picture Book with Rrramon Dominguez. Yes, a first-timer. But with very solid turf breeding and some decent morning works. In this wide-open race, I’ll take my chances. Finally, :6: Conquesta. Yes, the trainer’s done little. But, Alan Garcia’s a solid jockey. This horse looks like a loose-on-the-lead type. You know what they: “speed is dangerous,” that is unless you’re flying an airplane. Can this horse surprise? Do bears hibernate and sleep in the woods?

Teach
07-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Race Five:

My pick here is :7: Scat’s Lassie. The Johannesburg-bred filly has a better starting post in which to operate. The filly has tons of speed and with careful handling she can be first under the wire. :10: Margaret Lilian won her last, a maiden-breaking effort. She’s had a “bullet” work since then. Very much a factor here with Javier Catellano for Gary Contessa. :8: Lisini is my add-value-to-your-exotic pick. Ramon Dominguez rides for “Team Bond”. Finally, :9: Barrel of Joy is another “bomb” attempt. At her best, this Broad Brush-bred filly can be there.

Teach
07-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Race Six:

In this wide-open turf race I’m giving my lukewarm nod to :7: Missymoonlightmagic. This alliteratively-named Storm Cat-bred filly has been facing better. Her only win came at this distance on the grass late last August at “The Spa”. She can reprise that victory here at Belmont with proper handling. David Cohen rides for Dan Conway. Underneath: :10: Night Brigade with Javier Castellano is the logical choice. The horse has faced better in the claiming ranks. I’m think that this Unbridled’s Song-bred filly may be more suited for a bridesmaid’s role. Dom Galluscio trains. :4: Luck In The City was bumped at the start in her last; that compromised any chance of victory. A cleaner trip would put this Broad Brush-bred filly in the thick of things. Wilmer Garcia rides for Steve Jerkens. :11: Alex’s Buck has hit the tote three times in nine turf tries. She has one second in three tries at the distance. The “Panamanian Phenom,” Eddie Castro rides for George Weaver.

Teach
07-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Race Seven:

Here we go again. Looking for longshots in all the right places! I’m going to cast my lot with :3: Bonita Sonata (I was going to type Bonita Springs). Again, the cry of the horseplayer: Joel Rosario (Not to be confused with the cry of the Marne “On Les Aura!”). Quite a jockey switch for the “007”-trained A.P. Indy-bred 3-year-old filly. “Rallied” in her last. Decent morning work-tab. We shall see. Yes, :9: Cinematize with Ramon Dominguez is logical, but I’m not quite sold. Tony Dutrow’s a solid trainer and the morning works have been good, but one robin doesn’t make it spring. However, should be good enough to hit the tote. Talk about lighting up the tote (how’s that for a segue) I like :2: She Gets It. Yes, a first-time starter but with a decent pedigree. And a dam who had 10 winners from 11 starters. Junior Alvarado for Gary Contessa. I’m going to toss in a horse I think might complete a solid exotic, that’s :7: Erin Enchanted. The horse has hit the board twice in five tries. She’s had a troubled trip and an inconsequential turf try. Maybe, just maybe she can complete a gimmick.

Teach
07-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Race Eight:

I like “The Outside”. :8: World Premier is cutting back to six and one-half furlongs. That should help this Mr. Prospector-bred filly be more competitive in this 15K claimer. Ramon Dominguez rides for Gary Contessa. :7: St. Jean broke her maiden last time on a sloppy track. If today came up sloppy, I’d be all over this horse, but it’s bone dry. Yet, I still think the Holy Bull-bred filly can be right there in this field. The very capable Javier Castellano rides for Ken McPeek. Another horse to consider is :9: Ashcraft Silver. Frankly, I’m looking for this horse to earn a minor award. Yet, I believe this Carson City-bred filly can be competitive in this field. Irad Ortiz, Jr., for Enrique Arroyo. Finally, :1: Deflate The Bubble can be part in this field. I would have preferred it if the lightly-raced Carson City-bred mare were starting from an outside post; yet David Cohen should be skilled enough to angle this five-year old to the outside.

Mr G
07-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Race Seven:

I’m going to toss in a horse I think might complete a solid exotic, that’s :7: Erin Enchanted. The horse has hit the board twice in five tries. She’s had a troubled trip and an inconsequential turf try. Maybe, just maybe she can complete a gimmick.

Congrats on that bomb 7 !!

Teach
07-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Race Nine:

:7: C C’s Pal won her last, the Grade 2 Vagrancy. Any repeat of that effort and she can make it two in a row. Junior Alvarado rides for Rick Dutrow. :4: Derwin’s Star just missed at Philly in the My Juliet Stakes back in May. The Forest Wildcat-bred mare had a recent “bullet” work. Ramon Dominguez rides for Steve Klesaris. :2: Island Bound was last seen winning at Churchill Downs about a month ago in a Grade 3 Stakes. The Gone West-bred mare has been either first or second in her last six. Finally, :6: Catinatree is the early speed. The Storm Cat-bred filly won about a month ago at Phillie in optional claiming company. Mike Luzzi rides for Mike Hushion.

Teach
07-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Race Ten:

In the finale, I like several “outside” horses. I’ll start with :14: Cape Cod Carol with Jose Lezcano for Jim Ryerson. The Unbridled’s Song filly was steadied at the start in her last. She now draws outside; that should help. Another horse to consider is :13: Desert Bliss with David Cohen for Jeremiah Englehart. The Forty Niner-bred filly finished a fast-closing third. :12: Drinks On The House is shortening up a furlong. That should help. Eddie Castro rides for Mike Trombetta. Finally, “the logical,” :4: Ornellia with Javier Castellano for “Team Bond”. The Unbridled-bred filly has hit the tote in both her turf tries. She should be on or close to the lead.