PDA

View Full Version : Best Harness Handicapping Software

JoeLong
01-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Hello,

Can anyone here recommend a quality Harness program? Are there any of the same caliber of programs that are available for thoroughbred racing?

Thanks in advance,

JoeLong

P.S. Has anyone also experienced any good results using the TrackMaster FlashNet files for Harness racing?

sq764
01-10-2004, 04:43 PM
I have yet to see any consistently solid harness handicapping software out there.

Because of that, I started to work on my own using data files and have used it for over a year now..

norm f
01-10-2004, 05:20 PM
Pandys diamond system is pretty good...as long as you use it as a tool, and not the almighty

sq764
01-10-2004, 05:46 PM
In all fairness, most software should be used as a tool..

I know Pandy has made some improvements in his latest release (I have never seen them, so I cannot comment)

RERACING
03-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Let's up date the software we are using. Good or bad. As of today i use simubet which is service not software. Looking into software options. Is anyone using software they like or dislike? does anyone know if there is a watch horse list for harness on internet?

andicap
03-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm trying the Diamond System and it's pretty good if you model what's winning at the different tracks, search for value AND use common-sense handicapping.
So it's not unlike every other piece of software on the market for harness or t-bred: it's a tool, but a good one. Uses TM cheap files which cost $35 a month unlimited. So you can print out a PP program too. (Usually I just buy the $2 Daily Harness Eye so I don't have to bother printing)

For example, you should know enough about harness racing to discount a high figure earned where a horse was merely "sucked along" the rail and give more credit to those who had no cover.
There is a way to adjust the figures for those trips or you can just adjust them mentally.
You can look at a horse's last two or three pacelines if you wish or choose them manually. (there might be one other automatic PL selector, but I don't use it. )
Mile track races like the Big M tend to favor the factors dealing with closers. Some tracks have aberrant nights for some reason and it pays to know when that happens.
The Diamond system is a good tool for that.

time permiitting I would model each race using either best of last 2 or last 3 PL (and account for horses who have had layoffs so their paceline was 3 months ago -- I'd throw those out in the model). You can break them up into categories of age trot-pace or sex or whatever you want and track the half dozen or so (i think there's more now) categories each night.

There is no comma-delimited file so there's no database capabilities but since I don't know how to use one and can't bother with maintaining it, it doesn't matter for me.

melman
03-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Also for harness info trackmaster does provide a no charge "horses to watch" list. You must register but the service is no charge.

sq764
03-15-2005, 02:51 PM
There is no comma-delimited file so there's no database capabilities but since I don't know how to use one and can't bother with maintaining it, it doesn't matter for me.
You can use the TM exe file for databasing.. I use it to run my own figures in Excel.. It's a nice tidy comma delimited file that TM offers... Not bad for the price.. And with only a few macros, you can just make your own spreadsheet..

RERACING
03-15-2005, 04:01 PM
The only database i ever used was dBase. I think it is in dos not windows.

sq764
03-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Does anyone use their own software? Or own spreadsheet? Or manipulate data files in any way??