PDA

View Full Version : Books to read while on vacation

Oaklawn John
06-28-2012, 12:04 PM
I'd appreciate some help from the group. I'm going on vacation next month and my beach time is about the only time I take to read a book. What suggestions do you have for "do not miss" horse racing books to help fill my time?

PhantomOnTour
06-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Harvey Pack's May The Horse Be With You is a funny and enjoyable "non handicapping" book about racing.
Seems perfect for the beach...especially the Jersey shore

MaTH716
06-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Captain obvious books are Secretariat (Bill Nack version) and Seabiscuit, both excellent reads.

Jane Schawartz's Ruffian was also excellent.

Not by a Long Shot: A Season at a Hard Luck Horse Track (T.D. Thornton) was a very entertaining read as well.

cj
06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Native Dancer is a good one.

thaskalos
06-28-2012, 12:56 PM
One of the best horse racing books ever written:

Laughing in the Hills...by Bill Barich

Also...Andy Beyer's book, My $50,000 year at the Races.

QuarterCrack
06-28-2012, 01:39 PM
"Horseplayers" by Ted McClelland is a very good one also.

I also liked Harvey Pack's book a lot.

Cholly
06-28-2012, 02:12 PM
"The Wrong Horse" by William Murray This is the book that hooked me on horse-gambling. Check out the reader reviews on Amazon--they sum it up well.

"Bred to Run" by Mike Helm A fascinating inside look at how race horses come to be, based on an extended visit by Mr. Helm to Claiborne Farm.

David-LV
06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
An excellent and entertaining read is a title called:

"WOULDA, COULDA, SHOULDA"
By Dave Feldman with Frank Sugano

Bought my copy on Amazon.

_______
David-LV

Grits
06-28-2012, 03:30 PM
There's so many.

Ruffian .... it goes without saying.

As mentioned, The Wrong Horse by William Murray. The Right Horse, equally as good.

Whittingham, A Thoroughbred Racing Legend by Jay Hovdey

Stud by Kevin Conley. Inside the breeding industry, parts of it are hilarious.

Dirt Road To The Derby by Bob Baffert. Again, at times hilarious.

Northern Dancer, The Legend and His Legacy by Muriel Lennox.

Finally my favorite of all that I've read:

Dark Horse, Unravelling the Mystery of Nearctic by Muriel Lennox. Its an incredible and touching chronicle of a great champion and the one trainer who cared so much for him, for his well being when others pushed for more.

Lennox worked for Canada's breeder, E.P.Taylor's Windfields Estates for over 12 years. She's a Sovereign Award winning journalist. You'll enjoy her writing.

PhantomOnTour
06-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Agree with Grits about Stud...excellent book.
You get to know Storm Cat really well

Wagergirl
06-28-2012, 03:47 PM
I am gonna have to make a trip to the library!!

Oaklawn John
06-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks, guys. Given all the suggestions, I may need to take off for two weeks.

dnlgfnk
06-29-2012, 12:23 AM

Also...Andy Beyer's book, My $50,000 year at the Races.

Yet the two authors would probably question each other's work.

Kevroc
06-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Not by a Long Shot: A Season at a Hard Luck Horse Track (T.D. Thornton) was a very entertaining read as well.

This one was really good in my opinion as well.

I'd add Lord Of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon.

tzipi
06-29-2012, 01:42 AM
A Breed Apart by Mike Helm. Great book.

http://www.amazon.com/Breed-Apart-The-Horses-Players/dp/0805023798/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340948476&sr=1-1&keywords=a+breed+apart+horse

Paseana
06-29-2012, 02:12 AM
If you're interested in horse biography....

"KELSO...The Horse Of Gold" by Linda Kennedy.

One of the greatest biographies of a thoroughbred racehorse that I've ever read. Kelso was before my time in this game, but this book helped me to learn what an incredible horse he was.

It's a terrific read!

nijinski
06-29-2012, 03:00 AM
If you're interested in horse biography....

"KELSO...The Horse Of Gold" by Linda Kennedy.

One of the greatest biographies of a thoroughbred racehorse that I've ever read. Kelso was before my time in this game, but this book helped me to learn what an incredible horse he was.

It's a terrific read!
Did they devote any time on his Sire , Your Host ? Some eye popping stories about him.

pele polo
06-29-2012, 07:48 AM

I picked this up from the library when I was about 10 years old (if only my mother knew of these 'innocent' horse books), though I may have not gotten all of the adult humor back then, I later read it as an adult and it should be considered a classic among anyone interested or involved in horse racing.

Thirty Tons A Day, is a recent read that is another good one.

I've read plenty. Beware of some of the autobiographies, like Baffert's Dirt Road To The Derby and some of the horse biographies as they can come off rather amatuerish.

Countless others, if I remember I'll post a list but both of those mentioned should occupy your interests.

Grits
06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
I've read plenty. Beware of some of the autobiographies, like Baffert's Dirt Road To The Derby and some of the horse biographies as they can come off rather amatuerish.

Countless others, if I remember I'll post a list but both of those mentioned should occupy your interests.

Of the titles mentioned .... yes, one may consider some amateurish. But, at the same time they are interesting and entertaining. Baffert's, particularly so. Then, too, he possesses a terrific sense of humor and the ability to laugh at himself.

This gentleman (the original poster) is on vacation, he may not be in search of Tolstoy or Michener. JMO.

pele polo
06-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Grits,

Very true.

I did enjoy William Murray and Stud, a couple you mentioned.

I just wanted to give my opinion as I have dissapointed by certain books in the past, not for the story they gave, but how it was presented.

jorcus99
06-29-2012, 09:23 AM
This one was really good in my opinion as well.

I'd add Lord Of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon.

I like the Lord of Misrule as well, although it might not be for everyone.

A biography that is a must read is the Black Maestro by Joe Drape. It's about the life of African American Jockey Jimmy Winkfield. The story of his life is amazing.

the little guy
06-29-2012, 09:33 AM
There is a great book about the painter Robert Irwin called " Seeing is forgetting the name of the thing one sees " which, while a very interesting biography of the artist, also talks a great deal about him as a horseplayer.

I highly recommend it.

Jay Trotter
06-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Not by a Long Shot: A Season at a Hard Luck Horse Track (T.D. Thornton) was a very entertaining read as well.This book is about "Sufferin' Downs" and was an excellent read. I "stupidly" gave away my copy as a contest prize!:bang:

pandy
06-30-2012, 10:15 PM
If you didn't read Sea Biscuit, it is a great book.

Cardus
06-30-2012, 11:26 PM
"Black Stallion, Sulky Colt" was a favorite of mine. Just finished it last week.

On another note, the ability to laugh at oneself -- not taking yourself too seriously -- is a terrific attribute to possess.

Some have it, some don't.

Fox
07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Steven Crist, "Betting on Myself"

Not horses but gambling, "Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People".
It is a great book for the crapper as I remember because it is full of short anecdotes.

toetoe
07-01-2012, 12:15 AM
... it goes without saying.

Would that it indeed should so go. 'Tis my fondest dream. One can dream, can one not ?. Oh wait ... perhaps dreaming would not seem to favor ... :confused:

Nevertheless, all is well. Pseudolinguistic wishes and crotchkicking dreams to you, fellow Terrans.

Sysonby
07-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Seabiscuit by Laren Hillenbrand was great, agreed!

Grits
07-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Would that it indeed should so go. 'Tis my fondest dream. One can dream, can one not ?. Oh wait ... perhaps dreaming would not seem to favor ... :confused:

Nevertheless, all is well. Pseudolinguistic wishes and crotchkicking dreams to you, fellow Terrans.

Go to hell.

Grits
07-01-2012, 07:58 AM
On another note, the ability to laugh at oneself -- not taking yourself too seriously -- is a terrific attribute to possess.

Some have it, some don't.

Keep quoting me. Only two spineless nothings here that insist on trolling my posts; both of you, same direction .......

Go to hell.

Bullet Plane
07-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Let's be civil people!

Grits
07-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Let's be civil people!

You're quite new to PA, first, learn the history of these two following my posts, then come back and speak with me in a pm.

Have a good Sunday!

Oaklawn John
07-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Who'da thunk that my innocent request for reading material would degrade in to this!? Grits - I'm on your side!