PDA

View Full Version : US Tax $$$ Buying Cigarettes & Alcohol

cj's dad
06-28-2012, 08:31 AM
PETERBOROUGH — Jackie R. Whiton of Antrim had been a six-year employee at the Big Apple convenience store in Peterborough until a single transaction sent her job up in smoke.

The store clerk was fired after she refused to take a customer’s Electronic Balance Transfer card to pay for cigarettes.

My comment: Yes, I read in the article that there are 2 types of EBT card and that one can be used to buy food only and the other the card holder can purchase virtually anything. Still, ii's US tax$$$ involved.

Why am I still working ?

Link:

http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/local/clerk-loses-job-over-stand/article_87627ed5-5d4e-5ff0-a781-f14deb034771.html

Robert Goren
06-28-2012, 09:08 AM
PETERBOROUGH — Jackie R. Whiton of Antrim had been a six-year employee at the Big Apple convenience store in Peterborough until a single transaction sent her job up in smoke.

The store clerk was fired after she refused to take a customer’s Electronic Balance Transfer card to pay for cigarettes.

My comment: Yes, I read in the article that there are 2 types of EBT card and that one can be used to buy food only and the other the card holder can purchase virtually anything. Still, ii's US tax$$$ involved.

Why am I still working ?

Link:

http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/local/clerk-loses-job-over-stand/article_87627ed5-5d4e-5ff0-a781-f14deb034771.html (http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/local/clerk-loses-job-over-stand/article_87627ed5-5d4e-5ff0-a781-f14deb034771.html) Good Question, Why are you still working?

WaHoo
06-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Good Question, Why are you still working?

to support people like YOU :lol:

Robert Goren
06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
to support people like YOU :lol:I paid into SS security my whole life so I could collected it. I am now collecting it. I am 64 years old. So get over it!

Robert Fischer
06-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Was an unfortunate incident, but it really sounds like the clerk Whiton was well meaning. Apparently Whiton did not know the policy and took it out on the customer.

Those type of jobs can be stressful, and it's hard to know if the customer had been instigating a problem as well.

In the end, the article says that the clerk decided to change jobs, rather than work for a company with a policy he or she could not agree with, and that takes a strong person.

bigmack
06-28-2012, 03:11 PM
From my understanding, those cards are like debit cards. They're given PIN'S and they can withdraw lettuce like a regular bank card. What's to stop them from buying crack, smokes & a bottle of MadDog? That's right, the honor system. :jump:

What a country.

Robert Fischer
06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
From my understanding, those cards are like debit cards. They're given PIN'S and they can withdraw lettuce like a regular bank card. What's to stop them from buying crack, smokes & a bottle of MadDog? That's right, the honor system. :jump:

What a country.

Not sure if cash can be withdrawn.

Hopefully law enforcement would prevent illicit drug sales, as it is meant to do to prevent addicts with varying income streams from buying drugs. This would hold true with a variety of blackmarket contraband.

The "smokes", and "MadDog"(or at least other alcoholic beverages) would not be illicit, as they are purposely sold to these people to collect that revenue. It is a deliberate design.

bigmack
06-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Not sure if cash can be withdrawn.

Hopefully law enforcement would prevent illicit drug sales
They can withdraw cash and the likelihood of law enforcement preventing drug sales is laughable.

A surcharge is a service fee that some stores and banks MAY charge you each time you withdraw cash benefits using your EBT card.
http://www.ebtproject.ca.gov/WordsToKnow.aspx

Robert Fischer
06-28-2012, 04:00 PM
They can withdraw cash and the likelihood of law enforcement preventing drug sales is laughable.

http://www.ebtproject.ca.gov/WordsToKnow.aspx

My point was meant to criticize your scenario. The addition of the illicit drug "crack"(in your scenario) is a red herring. The other two other items(alcohol&tobacco) would legally like as much of the ebt-cash money as possible.

The issue here is that these businesses and industries of these types are willing to accept(and target) the ebt-cash program.

bigmack
06-28-2012, 04:04 PM
My point was meant to criticize your scenario. The addition of the illicit drug "crack"(in your scenario) is a red herring. The other two other items(alcohol&tobacco) would legally like as much of the ebt-cash money as possible.

The issue here is that these businesses and industries of these types are willing to accept(and target) the ebt-cash program.
I haven't the slightest idea what you're yappin' about.

Fact is, you can get cash with the card. With cash, anything can be bought.

Crack, Ho's, CrackHo's, whateva.

Bettowin
06-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Grocery store owner here got busted buying the grocery only cards from people for 50-60 cents on the dollar. Going to jail now and it was over $1 million worth.

Robert Fischer
06-28-2012, 04:20 PM
I haven't the slightest idea what you're yappin' about.

Fact is, you can get cash with the card. With cash, anything can be bought.

Crack, Ho's, CrackHo's, whateva.

ok you got a laugh out loud there

Guess what I am asking, is - whether deviant scenarios like that are a significant problem with the ebt-cash program?, and whether the solution is to eliminate the ability to withdraw cash?.

Robert Fischer
06-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Grocery store owner here got busted buying the grocery only cards from people for 50-60 cents on the dollar. Going to jail now and it was over $1 million worth.

wow.
I've heard of similar, but not on this scale...