PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs fire

plainolebill
06-27-2012, 12:41 AM
My daughter and granddaughter are headed there to stay while her husband is deployed to Afganistan. She called tonight to say that they may just drive to Oregon and stay with us for a few weeks.

Check this out, fire jumping the over the hill, taken from a mall in the North area of CS.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b318/plainolebill/CSFire.jpg

Grits
06-27-2012, 09:22 AM
Does anyone recall if Game Theory has posted in recent days? (I've not been here a good deal.) He's the only one I can think of that lives in Colorado. At least, I believe he does.

Tom
06-27-2012, 09:59 AM
He posted Monday.

Grits
06-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks, Tom. Hope Game and others here that may be in Colorado are all safe.

GameTheory
06-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Tom. Hope Game and others here that may be in Colorado are all safe.Denver hasn't burned down yet. Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Boulder, etc are all on the edge of huge forests. Although I suppose the hills to the west and south could decide to go up, which would be pretty close, it is safe where I am and will remain so (from fire) -- just damn hot and dry and the air is a bit ash-ridden at times. A lot of this stuff *needs* to burn at some point -- decades of fire suppression causes a lot of this, in addition to the beetles that have been killing all the trees in the state for the last 10 years (and the beetles are able to spread because the forests are too dense from never having been allowed to burn -- nature will do what it needs to one way or another like it or not). I'd like to get up into the mountains where it is cool but can't find the time. I am planning to do some backpacking this summer, but have to find somewhere that is unlikely to go up in flames, but I'm not sure where that is!

Grits
06-27-2012, 05:08 PM
I hope all of this is, somehow, contained. These firefighters are exhausted. I saw another photo today online of homes ablaze. I saw livestock on highways, etc. All much worse than the photo above; it was terribly sad.

You and your family stay safe. The 100+ temps, as I'm sure you know, are heading east in a hurry. But heat? It ain't nothing when those to the west are facing what you all are.

Man against nature seldom, if ever, wins.

GameTheory
06-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I hope all of this is, somehow, contained.Pretty much zero containment on these things. Is likely we'll see another one or two fires spring up somewhere. I expect some areas to be at least smoldering for the entire summer, but maybe we will get some precipitation at some point. Like a lot of places, there was basically no Winter here this year, at least in the foothills. Humidity is lower than ever...

Tom
06-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Glad to hear you are ok! :ThmbUp:

johnhannibalsmith
07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Denver hasn't burned down yet. Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Boulder, etc are all on the edge of huge forests. Although I suppose the hills to the west and south could decide to go up, which would be pretty close, it is safe where I am and will remain so (from fire) -- just damn hot and dry and the air is a bit ash-ridden at times. A lot of this stuff *needs* to burn at some point -- decades of fire suppression causes a lot of this, in addition to the beetles that have been killing all the trees in the state for the last 10 years (and the beetles are able to spread because the forests are too dense from never having been allowed to burn -- nature will do what it needs to one way or another like it or not). I'd like to get up into the mountains where it is cool but can't find the time. I am planning to do some backpacking this summer, but have to find somewhere that is unlikely to go up in flames, but I'm not sure where that is!

Pretty wild now with quite a few of the local Arapahoe horsemen having family or farms or homes or a combination in some proximity to the fires and having to go back and forth and haul horses and whatnot out of danger. I feel like a veteran of wildfires having lived in AZ for the last decade or so, but this is pretty nuts here even a safe distance away in Aurora.

I'd recommend coming to the track to go backpacking, but my tickets keep going down in flames lately.

rastajenk
07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Humidity is lower than ever...I wish I could send you some. We got plenty here in the Valley this week. :faint: