Hmmmmm.

It's Thursday's card that's cancelled.

Forecast 106 degrees

PhantomOnTour
06-26-2012, 11:21 PM
This oughta be fun...

BillW
06-26-2012, 11:27 PM
We're looking for triple digits here on Thursday through the weekend.

nijinski
06-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Oppressive heat , the horses come first . It's the right decision.

Robert Fischer
06-26-2012, 11:52 PM
This oughta be fun...
i predict 6 pages of debate before closure, with some serious CDI bashing going down...

racingfan378
06-27-2012, 12:48 AM
i dont disagree with this decision one bit, I see many more tracks pulling the plug too with this heat wave looming

Dahoss2002
06-27-2012, 01:05 AM
I know its hot for the horses but Louisiana Downs in Bossier City has the coldest AC in town. :) http://youtu.be/h-Cvinp1-jU

Robert Goren
06-27-2012, 03:27 AM
Strange! another cancelation on a thursday. Lets see if they run on saturday.

David-LV
06-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Strange! another cancellation on a Thursday. Lets see if they run on Saturday.

If the heat wave continues, CD will cancel no matter what the day.

_________
David-LV

Kevroc
06-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Run under the lights!

Good call on the cancellations, imo.

Horses should come first, just schedule a "snow day" as it were.

Robert Goren
06-27-2012, 04:15 AM
I believe that Saturday is a "Downs after Dark" day. Post time 6 pm local time. right in the hottest part of the day. I am sure that by the time last race is run, it be 5-10 degrees cooler.

ArlJim78
06-27-2012, 08:59 AM
they're saying it will get up to 102 in Chicago tomorrow.
I'm guessing they won't run at Arlington either.

Valuist
06-27-2012, 12:11 PM
they're saying it will get up to 102 in Chicago tomorrow.
I'm guessing they won't run at Arlington either.

I don't recall Arlington ever cancelling. I remember some 100 plus days in 1995 and they didn't cancel then.

ArlJim78
06-27-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't recall Arlington ever cancelling. I remember some 100 plus days in 1995 and they didn't cancel then.
we'll never know because after I posted I recalled that AP is dark on Thursdays this month anyway.

Robert Goren
06-27-2012, 12:18 PM
At least CD gave the bettors plenty of notice.

Valuist
06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
If this weather moves eastward, what is the likelihood Belmont cancels Friday?

Race: +125
Cancel: -135

MaTH716
06-27-2012, 12:20 PM

Really, does it ever stop?

Robert Goren
06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Really, does it ever stop? Not until they change their ways.

MaTH716
06-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Not until they change their ways.
Ok I'll bite, what's your list of demands?

Tom
06-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Who, and what ways?

Saratoga_Mike
06-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Who, and what ways?

Starts with N, ends with A...four letters...guesses?

BetCrazyGirl
06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Its good they canceled. Racing in that type of heat is just stupid, don't care if it's dumb before. Three digit figures is nothing to mess around with for animal or human.

Dahoss9698
06-27-2012, 03:28 PM
As a bettor, it's very reassuring to know Goren won't stop until NYRA changes their ways. Finally, someone with the knowledge, expertise and experience to lead us bettors towards a new day.

Canarsie
06-27-2012, 03:51 PM

Talk about CREDIBILITY problems who SAID this?

Thread=What tracks do you avoid betting at and why?

I am looking at something right now, so only tracks with very limited handles are off limits. But generally I avoid tracks that run at night or who try to capitalize on monday and tuesdays. I am not to fond of 3 day-a-week tracks either. Although I have nothing against the track itself, CD's announcer drives me up the wall, so it would be on the list too.

BillW
06-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Friday, Saturday and Sunday post times will be moved to 6:30 PM

Robert Goren
06-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren

Talk about CREDIBILITY problems who SAID this?

Thread=What tracks do you avoid betting at and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
I am looking at something right now, so only tracks with very limited handles are off limits. But generally I avoid tracks that run at night or who try to capitalize on monday and tuesdays. I am not to fond of 3 day-a-week tracks either. Although I have nothing against the track itself, CD's announcer drives me up the wall, so it would be on the list too.

I currently am betting Belmont and CD. I still feel the same about the CD announcer as I did back then, so I turn off the sound during running of their races. As I have said I am a very small bettor. Belmont for its faults, still has a one of best takeouts for win bettors like me. I will probably bet Saratoga although I do not bet turf races. I will bet Ellis when it starts. Right now I do not bet plastic dirt. I like to have 2 tracks going. So after Ellis I do not know where I will go. I would like to find a major or second level dirt track that didn't run as many turf races as Saratoga.

Grits
06-27-2012, 04:53 PM
i predict 6 pages of debate before closure ....

You're probably correct.

Robert Goren
06-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Ok I'll bite, what's your list of demands?You can search my posts if you really want to know. I am not bashful about when it comes to posting what I see as problems. On the heat issue, I just want them to be upfront about when and why they will cancel. In other words just treat their bettors with a little respect. We will see if NYRA will cancel if the heat comes back this Sat and Sun as is forecast.

Saratoga_Mike
06-27-2012, 05:00 PM
You can search my posts if you really want to know. I am not bashful about when it comes to posting what I see as problems. On the heat issue, I just want them to be upfront about when and why they will cancel. In other words just treat their bettors with a little respect. We will see if NYRA will cancel if the heat comes back this Sat and Sun as is forecast.

Again, I'll ask you (as I did in the NYRA thread): why do you think they canceled? Was it something besides heat? Please be specific. And your answer should have nothing to do with weekend days.

Fred
06-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Hmmmmm.

They say it's not the heat, it's the hummidity....well, when it's 117 degrees, IT'S THE HEAT!

Freddy

andtheyreoff
06-27-2012, 05:56 PM
You can search my posts if you really want to know. I am not bashful about when it comes to posting what I see as problems. On the heat issue, I just want them to be upfront about when and why they will cancel. In other words just treat their bettors with a little respect.

Last Thursday, Belmont announced they were cancelling because of the fact the temperature would be about 103*F. They announced this at 9:49 AM EST- three hours before the card would have begun, and before anyone put in any bets. I thought the situation was handled quite nicely.

And, honestly, I have no idea why everyone is getting so freakin' uptight about tracks cancelling cards. I mean, it's ONE DAY of racing!! ONE DAY!!!!!

We will see if NYRA will cancel if the heat comes back this Sat and Sun as is forecast.

Temperatures are not expected to go above 93*F this weekend, so the racing will be OK.

Dahoss9698
06-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Last Thursday, Belmont announced they were cancelling because of the fact the temperature would be about 103*F. They announced this at 9:49 AM EST- three hours before the card would have begun, and before anyone put in any bets. I thought the situation was handled quite nicely.

And, honestly, I have no idea why everyone is getting so freakin' uptight about tracks cancelling cards. I mean, it's ONE DAY of racing!! ONE DAY!!!!!

Temperatures are not expected to go above 93*F this weekend, so the racing will be OK.

He's not really uptight about this. Goren has figured out that he can get attention if he posts certain things. He's more interested in the attention more than anything.

Robert Goren
06-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Again, I'll ask you (as I did in the NYRA thread): why do you think they canceled? Was it something besides heat? Please be specific. And your answer should have nothing to do with weekend days.It has everything to do with weekdays. They probably make very little or maybe lose money on weekday racing. It is easy to cancel under those circumstances. If they won't cancel on big day like I suspect then is disingenuous for then to claim they are canceling for the horses when in fact they are looking for an excuse to cancel because economics. I think they cancel because on a hot and muggy thurs because they thought they were going to a very poor crowd and were going to lose money. I hope they prove me wrong by canceling sat if the heat shows up again as predicted. I guess we will known by saturday night.

Saratoga_Mike
06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
It has everything to do with weekdays. They probably make very little or maybe lose money on weekday racing. It is easy to cancel under those circumstances. If they won't cancel on big day like I suspect then is disingenuous for then to claim they are canceling for the horses when in fact they are looking for an excuse to cancel because economics. I think they cancel because on a hot and muggy thurs because they thought they were going to a very poor crowd and were going to lose money. I hope they prove me wrong by canceling sat if the heat shows up again as predicted. I guess we will known by saturday night.

Poor crowd - what % of the handle is generated on-track on a Thursday? Even if you adjust for the superior on-track economics, I can't imagine it's a a big number. But I'd like to see the actual numbers.

David-LV
06-27-2012, 06:46 PM
It has everything to do with weekdays. They probably make very little or maybe lose money on weekday racing. It is easy to cancel under those circumstances. If they won't cancel on big day like I suspect then is disingenuous for then to claim they are canceling for the horses when in fact they are looking for an excuse to cancel because economics. I think they cancel because on a hot and muggy thurs because they thought they were going to a very poor crowd and were going to lose money. I hope they prove me wrong by canceling sat if the heat shows up again as predicted. I guess we will known by saturday night.

Sorry Robert,

Your theory and thinking in this case is way off base and just wrong and does not make sense.

Racing will start at 6:30 PM Eastern time at Churchill on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this week because of the heat wave.
_________
David-LV

duncan04
06-27-2012, 06:48 PM
As a bettor, it's very reassuring to know Goren won't stop until NYRA changes their ways. Finally, someone with the knowledge, expertise and experience to lead us bettors towards a new day.

Lol obviously you cant be serious!! :p

Dahoss9698
06-27-2012, 07:04 PM

So NYRA closed because they figured they were going to have a small crowd on track?

Let's think about this for a second. You think they willingly gave up an entire day of handle (off track and on track) because of the possibility of poor attendance at the facility?

On what planet does that make sense?

Beachbabe
06-27-2012, 07:47 PM

First off, you are assuming that they wouldn't cancel on a "big" day, but you have no proof they wouldn't or didn't.
Secondly, if it's handle they're worried about, how many times has NYRA (as well as other tracks) cancelled turf racing (including turf stakes races) on a saturday after saturating rain, again for the safety of the horses & riders. How much handle do they lose when they have depleted fields because of it ?

garyscpa
06-27-2012, 07:53 PM
How much would a roof cost?

Robert Goren
06-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Sorry Robert,

Your theory and thinking in this case is way off base and just wrong and does not make sense.

Racing will start at 6:30 PM Eastern time at Churchill on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday this week because of the heat wave.
_________
David-LVBut they canceled on thursday rather than change the time. That proves my point.

PhantomOnTour
06-27-2012, 08:22 PM
i predict 6 pages of debate before closure, with some serious CDI bashing going down...
Halfway there :D

Dahoss9698
06-27-2012, 08:25 PM
But they canceled on thursday rather than change the time. That proves my point.

Imagine if you put all of this time to good use?

Robert Goren
06-27-2012, 08:37 PM
First off, you are assuming that they wouldn't cancel on a "big" day, but you have no proof they wouldn't or didn't.
Secondly, if it's handle they're worried about, how many times has NYRA (as well as other tracks) cancelled turf racing (including turf stakes races) on a saturday after saturating rain, again for the safety of the horses & riders. How much handle do they lose when they have depleted fields because of it ?They cancel turf racing after a big rain to prevent damaged to the turf course. As for the safety issue, How many time have we seen the jockeys refuse to ride because of unsafe conditions when mangement want to race anyway? I would have no problem if NYRA and/or CD ( or anybody esle for that matter) cancel because unsafe conditions, I just do not believe that is the reason they canceled in this case. I have been following racing for 45 years and I don't recall a saturday card ever being canceled because heat. If anyone can call that happening at NYRA or CD, I will gladly eat crow.
PS Anytime they cancel turf racing, it is good thing in my book. Off the turf races are my most profitable bets.

PhantomOnTour
06-27-2012, 08:38 PM
I applaud CD for taking action now (and switching to evening post times) to save their business from losing possibly four straight days of revenue.
They close their spring meet on Sunday so there's no time to make up these races.
Good move

PaceAdvantage
06-27-2012, 08:56 PM
At least CD gave the bettors plenty of notice.Weathermen are so inaccurate, even two days out, why would any track cancel so early?

If it turns out to only be 90, and NYRA cancelled two days out, you'd be here railing against them for jumping the gun... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
06-27-2012, 08:59 PM
They cancel turf racing after a big rain to prevent damaged to the turf course. As for the safety issue, How many time have we seen the jockeys refuse to ride because of unsafe conditions when mangement want to race anyway?Wait...I thought management is just itching to cancel at the drop of a hat because of poor attendance.... :rolleyes:

Tom
06-27-2012, 09:09 PM
They say it's not the heat, it's the hummidity....well, when it's 117 degrees, IT'S THE HEAT!

Freddy

Now that is profound......mind if I use it? ;)

Tom
06-27-2012, 09:12 PM
But they canceled on thursday rather than change the time. That proves my point.

What point?
Was there a point in there?
I missed it.

Dahoss9698
06-27-2012, 09:35 PM
I applaud CD for taking action now (and switching to evening post times) to save their business from losing possibly four straight days of revenue.

This is the point being missed by some here. No business likes to lose days of revenue....period.

That is what cancelling does.

BlueShoe
06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Friday, Saturday and Sunday post times will be moved to 6:30 PM
Not too bad schedule wise. CD will carry over into the Fri night card at HOL and hold the fan's interest during what would have been a dead spot. Had already been set for twilight on Sat, so they will go way after HOL and the Fair ends on Sat and Sun, into the harness and Q horse cards.

MaTH716
06-27-2012, 10:39 PM
They cancel turf racing after a big rain to prevent damaged to the turf course. As for the safety issue, How many time have we seen the jockeys refuse to ride because of unsafe conditions when mangement want to race anyway? I would have no problem if NYRA and/or CD ( or anybody esle for that matter) cancel because unsafe conditions, I just do not believe that is the reason they canceled in this case. I have been following racing for 45 years and I don't recall a saturday card ever being canceled because heat. If anyone can call that happening at NYRA or CD, I will gladly eat crow.
PS Anytime they cancel turf racing, it is good thing in my book. Off the turf races are my most profitable bets.

What about the time NYRA cancelled a Wednesday card up at the Spa due to the heat? Are you telling me that was really an economic move? Also when was the last time that the jocks refused to ride due to track/safety concern? NYRA always seems to err on the side of caution when it comes to their turf courses. I don't know if it's been discussed here, but I have seen it discussed other places when they take races off the turf on closing weekends at NYRA tracks. At that point what could they be saving the course for, so of course it's for saftey reasons.

If you are so unhappy with NYRA, why do you continue to play their races? This whole bogus crusade against them is beyond ridiculous. I think DaHoss is right, you just like the attention.

Robert Goren
06-28-2012, 04:03 AM
What about the time NYRA cancelled a Wednesday card up at the Spa due to the heat? Are you telling me that was really an economic move? Also when was the last time that the jocks refused to ride due to track/safety concern? NYRA always seems to err on the side of caution when it comes to their turf courses. I don't know if it's been discussed here, but I have seen it discussed other places when they take races off the turf on closing weekends at NYRA tracks. At that point what could they be saving the course for, so of course it's for saftey reasons.

If you are so unhappy with NYRA, why do you continue to play their races? This whole bogus crusade against them is beyond ridiculous. I think DaHoss is right, you just like the attention.In answer to the question on why I play NYRA tracks. They have one of the lowest takeout on win betting in the country. I thought I made had made that clear. As I said before when have canceled a Saturday card because of the heat? It is always a weekday card when they do that.
I am not going to do search for them, but there have been plenty of threads on jockeys refusing to ride on this forum. You can do a search as well as I if you really don't believe me. I will give you this, I don't remember any of them being at a NYRA tracks. One of things that NYRA does well is track maintenance with possible exception of the AQU inner track last winter. Even then they switched over to main track early when it became obvious they had a problem. I give them a lot credit for that. I also liked the changes in purse structure for bottom claiming races they did at same time. NYRA can act quickly when they have a problem. They just don't always do it. I have and will continue to give them credit when I feel they deserve it. Unlike a lot of posters here, I am not convinced they deserve it for canceling that card because I do believe they did it for the reasons they stated.

Robert Goren
06-28-2012, 04:10 AM
This is the point being missed by some here. No business likes to lose days of revenue....period.

That is what cancelling does.No business like to be open on days they lose money. Revenue is one thing, profit is another. If you had ever ran a business like I have, you would know that.

Tom
06-28-2012, 07:32 AM
And you think that the revenue from off track wagers would not be profitable?

And yes, sometimes you do run at a loss in order to pay the fixed costs.
Sometimes not running is more costly.

Dahoss9698
06-28-2012, 07:55 AM
No business like to be open on days they lose money. Revenue is one thing, profit is another. If you had ever ran a business like I have, you would know that.

If I have ever run a business like you have? Seriously?

Running a racetrack is a bit more complex than you make it seem. It's not a snack bar at a community pool that you don't want to open because you don't want to pay the teenager working because it's raining.

I will say this....good idea you have ignored the responses to your ridiculous (even for you) thought that they cancelled because attendance was going to be small. If you had ever run anything other than a lemonade stand in your front yard you would realize just how silly that comment was.

Serious question...do you notice no one seems to be agreeing with you here? even the guy who wondered about heat indexes smartened up (or they put him in a padded cell based on his nonsense last week) because this stuff is just dumb.

It was too hot and they cancelled. End of story.

lamboguy
06-28-2012, 08:02 AM
i just spoke to a guy this morning in texas that trains horses. he said it was already 102 and he didn't train today. he walked his horses around the shed row and put them back in the stall's that have air conditioner's and fans.

if he doesn't train babies in the morning, how can you expect a race track to run races in the afternoon in worse heat with the sun beating down on them?

Robert Goren
06-28-2012, 09:22 AM
i just spoke to a guy this morning in texas that trains horses. he said it was already 102 and he didn't train today. he walked his horses around the shed row and put them back in the stall's that have air conditioner's and fans.

if he doesn't train babies in the morning, how can you expect a race track to run races in the afternoon in worse heat with the sun beating down on them?We will see if Lone Star cancels tonight. I am guessing not. Remember that at 6:30 pm post time it still within 2-3 degrees of the high of the day.

Robert Goren
06-28-2012, 09:28 AM
If I have ever run a business like you have? Seriously?

Running a racetrack is a bit more complex than you make it seem. It's not a snack bar at a community pool that you don't want to open because you don't want to pay the teenager working because it's raining.

I will say this....good idea you have ignored the responses to your ridiculous (even for you) thought that they cancelled because attendance was going to be small. If you had ever run anything other than a lemonade stand in your front yard you would realize just how silly that comment was.

Serious question...do you notice no one seems to be agreeing with you here? even the guy who wondered about heat indexes smartened up (or they put him in a padded cell based on his nonsense last week) because this stuff is just dumb.

It was too hot and they cancelled. End of story.So you run a race track. Which one?

rastajenk
06-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Man, you're tenacious. A track cancelled...some others will, some won't. Let it go. :faint:

Dahoss9698
06-28-2012, 10:52 AM
So you run a race track. Which one?

The same racetrack where you "bet".

Make Believe Downs....thanks for the business.

MaTH716
06-28-2012, 10:56 AM
No business like to be open on days they lose money. Revenue is one thing, profit is another. If you had ever ran a business like I have, you would know that.

If it was really a buisness decision not to run, how much money would they really save by cancelling one card? Wouldn't there be much bigger issues and better ways to save money? This would be like salvaging a deck chair from the Titanic.

More importantly, why would they still keep the Belmont Cafe open for simulcasting? They still have to pay employees and prepare food. Not to mention all the free vouchers they ended up giving out for parking, programs and admision.

They canceled the card because it was too damn hot and they were concerned about the horses. Your twisted economic notions had nothing to do with it.

Robert Goren
06-28-2012, 11:55 AM
If it was really a buisness decision not to run, how much money would they really save by cancelling one card? Wouldn't there be much bigger issues and better ways to save money? This would be like salvaging a deck chair from the Titanic.

More importantly, why would they still keep the Belmont Cafe open for simulcasting? They still have to pay employees and prepare food. Not to mention all the free vouchers they ended up giving out for parking, programs and admision.

They canceled the card because it was too damn hot and they were concerned about the horses. Your twisted economic notions had nothing to do with it.The simulcasting made money. Simulcasting is such a good deal it is nearly impossible to lose money doing it. The same is true for their first cousins OTBs. Only in NY could an OTB lose money. The Lincoln track has run simulcasting in the middle of bizzards and made money for the day.
It is purses that they lay out for the races run that causes a track to lose money. The money from the takeout ( and other horse race day sources minus expenses) would not equaled the purses paid out. Outside of Sat, very few race days make make money for the track. Just try doing the math some time. Even if you figure a high 6% for out of state handle, the numbers don't add up. If they had been required to payout the purses whether they ran or not, I believe they ran no matter what heat was like.

Dahoss9698
06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
The simulcasting made money. Simulcasting is such a good deal it is nearly impossible to lose money doing it. The same is true for their first cousins OTBs. Only in NY could an OTB lose money. The Lincoln track has run simulcasting in the middle of bizzards and made money for the day.
It is purses that they lay out for the races run that causes a track to lose money. The money from the takeout ( and other horse race day sources minus expenses) would not equaled the purses paid out. Outside of Sat, very few race days make make money for the track. Just try doing the math some time. Even if you figure a high 6% for out of state handle, the numbers don't add up. If they had been required to payout the purses whether they ran or not, I believe they ran no matter what heat was like.

Honestly....unless this is an act you're the dumbest person on this website, which is REALLY saying something.

I just hope Thaskalos is reading this so he can see what a genius he defends.

Valuist
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
I wonder if NYRA would be less likely to cancel if it was Saratoga. You have people coming in from out of town to go to the Spa. I doubt there's many out of towners who wanted to come to NYC to specifically bet Thursday's Belmont card. But imagine if you had made arrangements for a long weekend at Saratoga and they cancelled a day or two. I certainly would not be pleased about that.

David-LV
06-28-2012, 12:51 PM
The simulcasting made money. Simulcasting is such a good deal it is nearly impossible to lose money doing it. The same is true for their first cousins OTBs. Only in NY could an OTB lose money. The Lincoln track has run simulcasting in the middle of bizzards and made money for the day.

Robert where do you get this hard to believe information from????

_________
David-LV

Valuist
06-28-2012, 01:13 PM
I wonder if NYRA would be less likely to cancel if it was Saratoga. You have people coming in from out of town to go to the Spa. I doubt there's many out of towners who wanted to come to NYC to specifically bet Thursday's Belmont card. But imagine if you had made arrangements for a long weekend at Saratoga and they cancelled a day or two. I certainly would not be pleased about that.

My mistake getting CD and Bel mixed up. Still wonder if the cancellation criteria would be different at a track with a large attendance.

Robert Goren
06-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Robert where do you get this hard to believe information from????

_________
David-LVThe 6% figure as a max has been tossed around on this forum for quite awhile. Lesser tracks have been said to get less. If you have different numbers, please share them. What else don't you believe? That simulcasting isn't very profitable? I was told by a former simulcast manager at the Lincoln track, Leo Scherer, that it was and that the Lincoln track would not be able to run a live meet if weren't for simulcasting revenue. Since almost nobody takes lincoln's signal( maybe nobody outsde of Nebraska), he was talking about revenue from other tracks signals. With the exceptions of a few racinos, Saturday is is a race track best day. A quick check of the attendence and handle numbers will confirm that.

Canarsie
06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Honestly....unless this is an act you're the dumbest person on this website, which is REALLY saying something.

I butt heads with Mr. Goren at a minimum rate of 90% and try to post something he has said in the past to back my point up.

He certainly has the right to post whatever he feels like as long as its within the TOS. Mike stated one of his primary objectives is to stroke people numerous times and he readily admitted to it. Just look at the replies to him in this one thread including yours and mine.

David-LV
06-28-2012, 02:20 PM

This is totally uncalled for.

cj
06-28-2012, 02:22 PM

There are moderators here, but thanks for the input.

Dahoss9698
06-28-2012, 02:29 PM

So is your signature.

David-LV
06-28-2012, 02:34 PM
So is your signature.

Is this the best you can come up with. Must be a slow news day.

________
David-LV

Bettowin
06-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Here is the the list. Gotta be another heat related closing and I would think at least one was on the weekend.

Cancelled Races

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date Track Races Cancelled
06/22/12 Belmont Park Races: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Equipment Malfunction
06/21/12 Belmont Park Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
06/21/12 Fair Meadows Tulsa Races: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Reason: Management Decision
06/16/12 Indiana Downs Entire Card, Races 1-12. Reason: Management Decision
06/15/12 Indiana Downs Entire Card, Races 1-12. Reason: Management Decision
05/27/12 Pocatello Downs Entire Card, Races 1-6. Reason: Weather
05/26/12 Fair Hill Races: 1, 2, 3, 4. Reason:
05/26/12 Pocatello Downs Races: 3, 4, 5, 6. Reason: Weather
05/12/12 Charles Town Race: 7. Reason: Management Decision
05/05/12 Lethbridge Race: 5. Reason: Track Conditions
04/28/12 Indiana Downs Races: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. Reason: Track Conditions
04/23/12 Finger Lakes Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
03/27/12 Mountaineer Park Races: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Reason: Equipment Malfunction
03/22/12 Fair Grounds Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Weather
03/20/12 Turf Paradise Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Track Conditions
03/20/12 Will Rogers Downs Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Weather
03/19/12 Turf Paradise Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Track Conditions
03/18/12 Turf Paradise Races: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Management Decision
03/11/12 Louisiana Downs Races: 7, 8, 9. Reason: Weather
03/02/12 Turfway Park Entire Card, Races 1-12. Reason: Weather
02/29/12 Charles Town Race: 9. Reason: Weather
02/25/12 Penn National Races: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Weather
02/24/12 Penn National Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
02/18/12 Fair Grounds Races: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Reason: Weather
02/13/12 Louisiana Downs Races: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Track Conditions
02/12/12 Parx Racing Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
02/11/12 Charles Town Races: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Weather
01/25/12 Delta Downs Races: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Reason: Weather
01/21/12 Aqueduct Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
01/21/12 Parx Racing Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
01/15/12 Parx Racing Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Track Conditions
01/14/12 Penn National Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Weather
01/13/12 Penn National Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Weather
01/10/12 Louisiana Downs Races: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Track Conditions
12/31/11 Gulfstream Park Race: 1. Reason: Management Decision
12/30/11 Los Alamitos Races: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Reason: Weather
12/13/11 Turf Paradise Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Track Conditions
12/07/11 Charles Town Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
12/07/11 Penn National Races: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Weather
11/20/11 Hollywood Park Races: 7, 8, 9. Reason: Track Conditions
11/03/11 Charles Town Race: 1. Reason:
10/30/11 Belmont Park Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
10/30/11 Charles Town Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
10/29/11 Belmont Park Races: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Reason: Weather
10/29/11 Charles Town Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Track Conditions
10/29/11 Finger Lakes Races: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Track Conditions
10/29/11 Parx Racing Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
10/29/11 Penn National Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
10/20/11 Hoosier Park Entire Card, Races 1-11. Reason: Track Conditions
10/20/11 Woodbine Entire Card, Races 1-8. Reason: Track Conditions
10/19/11 Hoosier Park Races: 7, 8, 9, 10. Reason: Track Conditions
10/14/11 Hoosier Park Races: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Reason: Track Conditions
10/04/11 Finger Lakes Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
09/30/11 Hoosier Park Races: 10, 11, 12. Reason: Weather
09/29/11 Lone Star Park Races: 8, 9. Reason: Weather
09/09/11 Hoosier Park Races: 9, 10, 11. Reason: Management Decision
09/08/11 Hoosier Park Races: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Track Conditions
09/08/11 Penn National Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
09/07/11 Penn National Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
09/07/11 Suffolk Downs Races: 9, 10, 11. Reason: Track Conditions
09/04/11 Saratoga Race: 12. Reason: Weather
09/03/11 Evangeline Downs Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Weather
08/30/11 Suffolk Downs Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
08/29/11 Delaware Park Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Management Decision
08/29/11 Suffolk Downs Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
08/28/11 Monmouth Park Entire Card, Races 1-11. Reason: Weather
08/28/11 Parx Racing Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
08/28/11 Saratoga Entire Card, Races 1-11. Reason: Weather
08/28/11 Timonium Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
08/27/11 Monmouth Park Entire Card, Races 1-12. Reason: Weather
08/24/11 Woodbine Races: 5, 6, 7. Reason: Weather
08/21/11 Ajax Downs Races: 8, 9, 10. Reason: Track Conditions
08/18/11 Columbus Races: 5, 6, 7. Reason: Weather
08/18/11 Evangeline Downs Races: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Reason: Management Decision
08/12/11 Penn National Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
08/09/11 Ajax Downs Races: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Reason: Track Conditions
08/07/11 Oneida County Races: 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. Reason: Track Conditions
08/06/11 Columbus Races: 6, 7, 8, 9. Reason: Weather
08/06/11 Marquis Downs Race: 10. Reason: Equipment Malfunction
08/06/11 Oneida County Entire Card, Races 1-8. Reason: Track Conditions
07/29/11 Emerald Downs Race: 8. Reason: Equipment Malfunction
07/23/11 Delaware Park Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Weather
07/23/11 Monmouth Park Entire Card, Races 1-12. Reason:
07/23/11 Mountaineer Park Races: 9, 10. Reason: Management Decision
07/23/11 Parx Racing Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
07/23/11 Penn National Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
07/23/11 Suffolk Downs Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
07/22/11 Monmouth Park Entire Card, Races 1-12. Reason: Weather
07/22/11 Penn National Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
07/22/11 Presque Isle Downs Entire Card, Races 1-8. Reason: Weather
07/22/11 Thistledown Entire Card, Races 1-8. Reason: Weather
07/21/11 Colonial Downs Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
07/21/11 Finger Lakes Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
07/21/11 Presque Isle Downs Entire Card, Races 1-8. Reason: Weather
07/21/11 Woodbine Entire Card, Races 1-8. Reason: Weather
07/19/11 Prairie Meadows Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Weather
07/17/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
07/16/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-11. Reason: Management Decision
07/15/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
07/14/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
07/10/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Management Decision
07/10/11 Grande Prairie Entire Card, Races 1-6. Reason: Track Conditions
07/09/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Management Decision
07/09/11 Grande Prairie Entire Card, Races 1-6. Reason: Weather
07/08/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
07/08/11 Grande Prairie Entire Card, Races 1-6. Reason: Track Conditions
07/07/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
07/04/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-10. Reason: Management Decision
07/03/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-12. Reason: Management Decision
07/02/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision
07/01/11 Canterbury Park Entire Card, Races 1-9. Reason: Management Decision

duncan04
06-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Tracks cancel sometimes. Is someone going to start a new thread for each cancellation? :rolleyes:

Robert Fischer
06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
My mistake getting CD and Bel mixed up. Still wonder if the cancellation criteria would be different at a track with a large attendance.

Sure.
If the price were high enough the criteria could shift. There isn't a set heat index or temperature as far as I know.

Hammerhead
06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
I have 3 horses and 3 goats with 4 dogs and when it gets over 90 they tend to not being thrilled with being out in the sun. Most animals prefer 35 to maybe 60 degrees. When the heat is up and there is no breeze I am fairly cautious with them. Vet bills can get outrages. I applaude the tracks that shut down at these times. Not worth ruining a animal so some jerk can get there jollys on a 10 cent super.

Bettowin
06-28-2012, 02:52 PM

Saratoga cancelled last year on Sunday of the Travers weekend just because of a little rain:)

Al Gobbi
06-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Delaware Park has cancelled racing for this Saturday.

bigmack
06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Delaware Park has cancelled racing for this Saturday.
On a weekend? This is sure to strike a major blow to the dunderheaded theorem from Goren about weekday cancellations. Stay tuned though, he'll conjure up another slice of wackiness for all to marvel.

gillenr
06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Here in Chicagoland burbs, I just walked out of the OTB to go home & was hit in the head with 111 heat index which dizzied me. Anyone who would race a horse & jockey in that deserves a whack across the head. I dont think CD is much cooler.

duncan04
06-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Here in Chicagoland burbs, I just walked out of the OTB to go home & was hit in the head with 111 heat index which dizzied me. Anyone who would race a horse & jockey in that deserves a whack across the head. I dont think CD is much cooler.

Here in Northern KY its about the same.

mostpost
06-28-2012, 05:44 PM
global warming. hehehehehe.

Bettowin
06-28-2012, 05:52 PM

I hope your air conditioner breaks:) Not really......... have a friend who had to sleep in his house last night with no air conditioner (went out) and the temp at 10pm was still in the mid 90's.

tzipi
06-28-2012, 06:37 PM

What happened to Global Cooling of the 70's? :D

Robert Goren
06-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Delaware Park has cancelled racing for this Saturday.Good for them! Now lets see who else cares about the horses and not their bottom line. I will have no problem eating crow if NYRA cancels on a sat, but they have cancel first.

horses4courses
06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Good for them! Now lets see who else cares about the horses and not their bottom line. I will have no problem eating crow if NYRA cancels on a sat, but they have cancel first.

It's interesting that Delaware cancels Saturday two days in advance, when they ran the other day that Belmont cancelled.
Me thinks Delaware took a little flack for running that day.....

thespaah
06-28-2012, 10:33 PM
I think you are full of crap.
I cannot understand why anyone who posts on a racing forum that is supposed to support the sport can be so cynical about the sport.
Economics, my fanny.
Tracks managements do not have to prove anything to you.
Time for you to stand down from your soap box, sir.

bigmack
06-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Me thinks Delaware took a little flack for running that day.....
Flack from who, NYRA? :D

Stunning, really, the degree of psychosis people live with. Now we have a bonafide nutjob advancing a theory about DEL being bitch slapped.

It's UNBELIEVABLE in 2012 they're able to predict (with a large degree of accuracy) what the temperature will be, with hoomidity, in Wilmington, a whole two days in advance.

Modern science at its bestest.
--
And for the record, anyone who uses 'methinks' is a stone cold goof.

With love & affection,

Ronald P. Jeremy
Interim Acting President
Kielbasa Trucking Corporation

thespaah
06-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Weathermen are so inaccurate, even two days out, why would any track cancel so early?

If it turns out to only be 90, and NYRA cancelled two days out, you'd be here railing against them for jumping the gun... :lol:
Weather buff here. I have been checking the National Weather Service website following this heat wave for about a week.
I can tell you that this is the real deal.
The system responsible for the extreme heat basically covers the eastern 2/3rds of the US.
SO this time, the weather guys hit it.
The only parts of the US that will not be affected are the west coast, south Florida and later this week, the North East and New England states.

Robert Goren
06-29-2012, 04:42 AM
I think you are full of crap.
I cannot understand why anyone who posts on a racing forum that is supposed to support the sport can be so cynical about the sport.
Economics, my fanny.
Tracks managements do not have to prove anything to you.
Time for you to stand down from your soap box, sir. You must be in track management or a horseman. Your response is typical of how horse racing feels about its customers. You can disagree(and most do) with me, but as a customer I deserve respect even if I am wrong. Race track management could learn a thing or two from my step father who once said "The customer may not always be right, but they are still a customer and should be treated as such. Your job depends on them continuing being a customer". Attitudes such as yours is the reason that racetracks need slots in order to survive.

Robert Goren
06-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Weather buff here. I have been checking the National Weather Service website following this heat wave for about a week.
I can tell you that this is the real deal.
The system responsible for the extreme heat basically covers the eastern 2/3rds of the US.
SO this time, the weather guys hit it.
The only parts of the US that will not be affected are the west coast, south Florida and later this week, the North East and New England states. It has been damned hot and humid here for few days now and is suppose be until at least the fourth. It is raining as I type and it is going be 100 latter in day. At some point at least part of the east coast generally gets our weather. Get ready for the furnace blast.

Tom
06-29-2012, 07:30 AM
"The bad news is, we lost four horses due to heat stroke today.
But at least Goren had a good day. That is all that matters." :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
06-29-2012, 09:23 AM
"The bad news is, we lost four horses due to heat stroke today.
But at least Goren had a good day. That is all that matters." :rolleyes:I never said they should run in the heat. What I did say was that I thought the heat wasn't the real reason they canceled. The real reason I think they canceled was economic. Please don't put words in my mouth. I actual do think tracks should cancel when the weather is bad. I applaud Delaware for biting the bullet and canceling on a sat and also for giving its bettors plenty of notice.
For the record, could you please post a link to that story. Google could not find it for me. That just means I am not good with Google.

Saratoga_Mike
06-29-2012, 10:05 AM
I never said they should run in the heat. What I did say was that I thought the heat wasn't the real reason they canceled. The real reason I think they canceled was economic. Please don't put words in my mouth. I actual do think tracks should cancel when the weather is bad. I applaud Delaware for biting the bullet and canceling on a sat and also for giving its bettors plenty of notice.
For the record, could you please post a link to that story. Google could not find it for me. That just means I am not good with Google.

I'm surprised you aren't claiming DEL cancelled on a weekend day b/c they have a casino and want to funnel as many patrons to that side of the business as possible. I really expected you to go there.

Tom
06-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Please don't put words in my mouth.

Isn't that exactly what YOU are doing to NYRA?
Can't take your own medicine?

Robert Goren
06-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm surprised you aren't claiming DEL cancelled on a weekend day b/c they have a casino and want to funnel as many patrons to that side of the business as possible. I really expected you to go there.Casino gambers and horse race gamblers are two distinct and seperate groups when both methods of gambling are available. If Delaware has a simulcast center, its business might go up a little. The closing of the race track for a day will not effect their casino business much. The heat might though.

Robert Goren
06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Isn't that exactly what YOU are doing to NYRA?
Can't take your own medicine?No, I am not. I am just doubting their words when they said they were canceling because of the heat. To put more bluntly, I think they lied. You may or may not think so. I guess we know whose right if NY ever gets the same weather on a Sat.

Wagergirl
06-29-2012, 11:48 AM
just an FYI

Tom
06-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Fire, meet gasoline!
:lol:

rastajenk
06-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Pussies

MaTH716
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
With Penn cancelling Goren, if you ever wanted to make the buisness decision arguement, this would probably be a better spot.

Belmont twilight card, Churchill 6:30 card leading into Hollywood.

I might be a little more open to your argument in this case versus the NYRA case. Obviously Penn's buisness will probably suffer tonight going aginst such stiff competition.

I want to believe that they are cancelling for the right reasons, but like I said, I could understand the buisness argument a little better in this case.

Wagergirl
06-29-2012, 04:15 PM
:(

Grits
06-29-2012, 04:24 PM
It is 103 in Louisville right now. It is 106 in Baltimore, 105, here, where I live in Carolina. ( My deck thermometer says 109.)

NO HORSES should be running. Not tonight, not tomorrow, tomorrow night, or anytime until this lets up. This is unreal. This heat is unprecedented.

For SPORT, for PROFIT, nothing involving any animal should be put to task in THIS KIND OF HEAT. No way. No how. Heat exhaustion, stroke and death is too great a risk. Will it be much better, much lower, temp and humidity wise, two hours from now at 6:30pm?

NO!

Canarsie
06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
It is 103 in Louisville right now. It is 106 in Baltimore, 105, here, where I live in Carolina. ( My deck thermometer says 109.)

NO HORSES should be running. Not tonight, not tomorrow, tomorrow night, or anytime until this lets up. This is unreal. This heat is unprecedented.

For SPORT, for PROFIT, nothing involving any animal should be put to task in THIS KIND OF HEAT. No way. No how. Heat exhaustion, stroke and death is too great a risk. Will it be much better, much lower, temp and humidity wise, two hours from now at 6:30pm?

NO!

Never argue with a female especially an intelligent one. I second her motion.

Robert Goren
06-29-2012, 05:21 PM

NO!It is darn hot and some places will set records for the date, but I seen this kind of heat before. You are right that no horses should be running it. But we know they will be running in a lot places that shouldn't be because the economics in those places will over rule horse safety. As I have said it easy cancel on a Thursday, but a Friday night with a band hired or Saturday is different. I expect a few racinos will cancel, but the big money tracks will run and the horses be damned. I hope I am wrong.

bigmack
06-29-2012, 05:31 PM
I hope I am wrong.
No need for hope, your 'wrong' record stands at around 98%.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2qclrXUQT1qe0eclo1_r8_500.gif

Robert Goren
06-29-2012, 05:35 PM
No need for hope, your 'wrong' record stands at around 98%.
So you are saying that 98% of the race tracks in the heat effected areas will close tomorrow?

bigmack
06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
So you are saying that 98% of the race tracks in the heat effected areas will close tomorrow?
Not even close but with that wrong guess you just bumped up to 99%.

Mighty impressive. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
06-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Not even close but with that wrong guess you just bumped up to 99%.

Mighty impressive. :ThmbUp:I am saying that very few tracks will close tomorrow. If I am wrong 98% of the time then most of them will close. That not going to happen as you well know. As usual you typed a smart aleck remark without thinking. The least you could do is own up to it and admit that I will not be wrong on this 98% of the time. I will make this deal. I will agree to quit posting for a month if 98% of the track cancel tomorrow if you will do the same if 98% don't cancel. If I am wrong 98% of the time, you should jump at that deal. Othewise you have shown yourself to be a fool. :D

duncan04
06-29-2012, 06:27 PM
The only fool is the one that thinks a track cancelling due to heat has a hidden agenda for the cancellation. :p

horses4courses
06-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Flack from who, NYRA? :D

Stunning, really, the degree of psychosis people live with. Now we have a bonafide nutjob advancing a theory about DEL being bitch slapped.

It's UNBELIEVABLE in 2012 they're able to predict (with a large degree of accuracy) what the temperature will be, with hoomidity, in Wilmington, a whole two days in advance.

Modern science at its bestest.
--
And for the record, anyone who uses 'methinks' is a stone cold goof.

With love & affection,

Ronald P. Jeremy
Interim Acting President
Kielbasa Trucking Corporation

That the best you can come up with, lil Jagoff?
You really need to get some better material.

Robert Goren
06-29-2012, 06:50 PM
The only fool is the one that thinks a track cancelling due to heat has a hidden agenda for the cancellation. :pOnly fool thinks that economics is not the major driving force behind any decision by a successful business that concerns its bottom line. I suppose you could make the argument that most race tracks are not successful businesses.;)

Grits
06-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Never argue with a female especially an intelligent one. I second her motion.

Scratches at DRF for tonight's CD card at around 23 horses. Wonder what tomorrow's will be, if their temps, like ours, are expected to be higher than today's 105? This is harmful.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Race Changes

1.Frances Gardner scratched
Right Sassy scratched

2.Kujaa scratched
Yuckon Dance scratched

3.Crimson's Roar scratched

4.Exploring scratched
Pass the Pico jockey changed to Lanerie C J

5. No Changes

6.Bobs Funny Roar scratched
Key to Luck scratched
Pavati scratched
Strawberry Quake jockey changed to Court J K

7.Ride the Lightning scratched

8.Billybillwillywill scratched
Bluegrass Bull scratched
Hewillglittrnshine scratched
Lemon Juice scratched
Red Ace scratched

9.Closerwalk scratched
Red All Over scratched

10.Daddy's Rose scratched
Even Forest scratched
Soul of Hollywood scratched

11.Deed It Is scratched
Jolly Ol' Nick scratched
Rip and Roll scratched
Stew Boy jockey changed to Vergara R

Wagergirl
06-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Current Conditions
Churchill Downs
Updated: 6:45 PM (local time)

https://www.twinspires.com/resources/shared/images/weather/current/02.GIF 104 °F
feels like:103 °F
Mostly Sunny
Hi / Low:104 / 78 °F
Humidity:27% Wind Speed:
13 mphWind
Today's Forecast

This Afternoon
Sunny with the temperature breaking the record of 102; extreme heat can be dangerous

This Evening
Partly cloudy, warm and humid

Extended Forecast

SaturdayHi of 104 °F, Low of 77 °FAfternoonPartly sunny, the temperature breaking the record of 99 set in 1959 and humidEveningPartly cloudy, warm and humid
SundayHi of 104 °F, Low of 76 °FAfternoonPartly sunny, the temperature breaking the record of 99 set in 1991 and humidEveningPartly cloudy and warm with widely separated thunderstorms

thespaah
06-29-2012, 07:29 PM
You must be in track management or a horseman. Your response is typical of how horse racing feels about its customers. You can disagree(and most do) with me, but as a customer I deserve respect even if I am wrong. Race track management could learn a thing or two from my step father who once said "The customer may not always be right, but they are still a customer and should be treated as such. Your job depends on them continuing being a customer". Attitudes such as yours is the reason that racetracks need slots in order to survive.
Not racing because of extreme heat is NOT a personal affront to anyone.
It is for the safety of the humans and animals. PERIOD.
Did it ever occur to you , Mr I only care about myself, that maybe, just maybe the track management is not only looking out for the horses, horsemen, track workers as well as the PARTONS who venture out to the track in these dangerous heat conditions?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....You're pissed off because you cannot get the response you want to your inane query regarding your theory as to why tracks NEVER cancel on important days....
Have you asked yourself why nearly every response you've gotten to your posts here has been negative? :faint:

thespaah
06-29-2012, 07:32 PM

NO!
:ThmbUp: :1: !!!!!

Al Gobbi
06-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Parx cancelled for tomorrow too.

Robert Goren
06-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Not racing because of extreme heat is NOT a personal affront to anyone.
It is for the safety of the humans and animals. PERIOD.
Did it ever occur to you , Mr I only care about myself, that maybe, just maybe the track management is not only looking out for the horses, horsemen, track workers as well as the PARTONS who venture out to the track in these dangerous heat conditions?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....You're pissed off because you cannot get the response you want to your inane query regarding your theory as to why tracks NEVER cancel on important days....
Have you asked yourself why nearly every response you've gotten to your posts here has been negative? :faint: It should be and maybe some cases it is. The fact remains that yesterday most track cancel even though the heat was unbearable. CD ran at night, but the temperature for the post time according to the weather channel was 101. I checked. How was that safe for the horses running in that race? Did CD care about the safety issue then? The answer is clearly no or they would have canceled or delayed the race. Let see how tracks cancel on Sat in the heat belt. As I said before there will be a few racinos cancel, but most tracks will run because of the economics of canceling.

BetCrazyGirl
06-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Weathermen are so inaccurate, even two days out, why would any track cancel so early?

That is so true, on Thursday evening around 9pm I had checked the weather from where I was for Friday since I was going to do a lot of walking. It said Friday would be 81 degrees as its high. I check it again Friday morning, it had changed to 88 degrees. Felt like freaking 90 something though midday.

Robert Goren
06-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Corrected text It should be and maybe some cases it is. The fact remains that yesterday most tracks did not cancel even though the heat was unbearable. CD ran at night, but the temperature for the post time according to the weather channel was 101. I checked. How was that safe for the horses running in that race? Did CD care about the safety issue then? The answer is clearly no or they would have canceled or delayed the race. Let see how tracks cancel on Sat in the heat belt. As I said before there will be a few racinos cancel, but most tracks will run because of the economics of canceling.

Grits
06-30-2012, 09:32 AM
:ThmbUp: :1: !!!!!

Jeannie Rees reported that during the races last night, there was plenty of hosing off, there were blankets and alcohol soaking in ice water after races for any horses coming back in distress, horses were due in the paddock a bit quicker between races than usual, and there were 55 gallon drums of ice water at the midway point back to the barn for horses that might be in need. So, CD is taking added precautions, its obvious.

..... Still, I'm not able to watch them. I can't watch horses running in this kind of heat. I just can't, nor can I bet on them. Let's hope that all goes well today and tomorrow, these last couple of days of the meet.

BetCrazyGirl
06-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Jeannie Rees reported that during the races last night, there was plenty of hosing off, there were blankets and alcohol soaking in ice water after races for any horses coming back in distress, horses were due in the paddock a bit quicker between races than usual, and there were 55 gallon drums of ice water at the midway point back to the barn for horses that might be in need. So, CD is taking added precautions, its obvious.

..... Still, I'm not able to watch them. I can't watch horses running in this kind of heat. I just can't, nor can I bet on them. Let's hope that all goes well today and tomorrow, these last couple of days of the meet.

I agree with this. The horses shouldn't be put in that kind of risk with the heat.

Al Gobbi
06-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Monmouth is a total joke of a track. Running today but no water available or used. Charles Town cancelled tomorrow.

tzipi
06-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Totally agree :ThmbUp:

Wagergirl
06-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Monmouth is a total joke of a track. Running today but no water available or used. Charles Town cancelled tomorrow.

Monmouth responded by curtailing training on Saturday morning. The track leased a pair of 18-wheel tankers to haul in water for track maintenance and to bathe horses.

Potable water was also distributed throughout the backstretch for human and equine consumption.

thespaah
06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
It should be and maybe some cases it is. The fact remains that yesterday most track cancel even though the heat was unbearable. CD ran at night, but the temperature for the post time according to the weather channel was 101. I checked. How was that safe for the horses running in that race? Did CD care about the safety issue then? The answer is clearly no or they would have canceled or delayed the race. Let see how tracks cancel on Sat in the heat belt. As I said before there will be a few racinos cancel, but most tracks will run because of the economics of canceling.
Oy vey....

BIG49010
07-01-2012, 01:00 PM
I was told several horses died at Arlington on Saturday from heat related issues. The first one was on the way to the winners circle for Charlie Bettis, can anyone confirm this?

Grits
07-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I was told several horses died at Arlington on Saturday from heat related issues. The first one was on the way to the winners circle for Charlie Bettis, can anyone confirm this?

Who could you ask this of? If speaking of the horses that raced at Arlington, there's not one in the charts that's DNF. Not yesterday, not back through the 24th.

Even standing still throughout the day and night, with only a fan in a stall, in this kind of heat, this could be possible, but nothing is indicated in the charts for those running.

You may want to go back to your source to confirm this as factual. Surely trainers and grooms are doing everything they possibly can to help the horses. And too, the backside workers, themselves, are trying their best to somehow tolerate the heat.:(

therussmeister
07-01-2012, 04:09 PM
BRIS charts for the seventh race at Arlington mention the winner was vanned off apparently suffering from the effects of heat.

illinoisbred
07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
The winner of yesterday's 7th DID die on the turf course. Heard there was also a death this morning after workouts back at the barn.

Wagergirl
07-01-2012, 04:29 PM
This is so sad. Needless waste of life.

bigmack
07-01-2012, 04:29 PM
BRIS charts for the seventh race at Arlington mention the winner was vanned off apparently suffering from the effects of heat.
Silken Dandy collapsed in cool down.

Striker
07-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Stewards confirmed that the horse died after collapsing. Cause of death unknown. Necropsy will be done at University of Illinois.

castaway01
07-02-2012, 11:06 AM

I've been trying to get some sense into this guy for years, but it just doesn't do any good. I don't care if he bets or not---it's just a fundamental misunderstanding of what he's talking about.

Tom
07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Canterbury is cancelling it's HOLIDAY program due to extreme heat!
A HOLIDAY card.

Guess they thought they would lose money.

duncan04
07-04-2012, 02:00 AM
A HOLIDAY card.

Guess they thought they would lose money.

:D That made me laugh.

Robert Goren
07-04-2012, 02:52 AM
A HOLIDAY card.

Guess they thought they would lose money.They probably would. It is a racino. They lose money almost every time they run. Check the handle numbers and the purses, if you don't believe me. Very seldom does a racino make money on live racing. You better believe they didn't cancel any of their table games because of the heat.

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2012, 04:33 AM
You better believe they didn't cancel any of their table games because of the heat.Ummmm...just forget it...you're helpless.

vikingrob
07-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Ar least it is the weather; given the heat and humidity, I think it is reasonable.

It is certainly better than last year, when Canterbury had to cancel 12 cards due to a state government shutdown.

andtheyreoff
07-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Ar least it is the weather; given the heat and humidity, I think it is reasonable.

It is certainly better than last year, when Canterbury had to cancel 12 cards due to a state government shutdown.

That's what they say it was, anyway. I'm sure RG thinks it was all a big conspiracy by Canterbury (and the harness track, Running Aces) to have the government shut down so that they'd have an excuse to cancel cards.

Not having the card tables open was a small price to pay to avoid running the races.

BTW, it's gonna feel like 106*F in Shakopee, MN in the heat of the day. Smart move by CBY.

Robert Goren
07-04-2012, 11:55 AM
That's what they say it was, anyway. I'm sure RG thinks it was all a big conspiracy by Canterbury (and the harness track, Running Aces) to have the government shut down so that they'd have an excuse to cancel cards.

Not having the card tables open was a small price to pay to avoid running the races.

BTW, it's gonna feel like 106*F in Shakopee, MN in the heat of the day. Smart move by CBY.The shutdown of racing due to political haggling over the state budget did not effect Canterbury's bottom line. Their profits were up for 2010 despite/because of the the shutdown.
It is just as hot here but the Lincoln track is running because they don't have a casino to cover their loses. They have to at least break even break even on their live racing and simulcasting. It will be at least monday before we get a break from the heat so they will run this weekend too just like last weekend. Even though the horses that run here are cheap, they are still horses. It is too bad that they have to run in this weather.

Saratoga_Mike
07-04-2012, 12:29 PM
The shutdown of racing due to political haggling over the state budget did not effect Canterbury's bottom line. Their profits were up for 2010 despite/because of the the shutdown. It is just as hot here but the Lincoln track is running because they don't have a casino to cover their loses. They have to at least break even break even on their live racing and simulcasting. It will be at least monday before we get a break from the heat so they will run this weekend too just like last weekend. Even though the horses that run here are cheap, they are still horses. It is too bad that they have to run in this weather.

That statement is incorrect.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/926761/000089710111000551/cphc111612_10k.htm --see page 21

2010 (first column) 2009 (second column)
Net (loss) income* $(992,206) $60,970
Interest income, net (12,913 ) (35,583)
Income tax (benefit) (272,000 ) 199,800
Depreciation 2,043,758 2,094,174
EBITDA $766,639 $2,319,361
Loss on disp of assets 906,940 —
Adjusted EBITDA $1,673,579 $2,319,361

*net income is still lower in 2010 even when the loss of asset sales is added back, which is the proper way to look at things.

Saratoga_Mike
07-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Ummmm...just forget it...you're helpless.

Don't let him in on a little thing called air-conditioning

Robert Goren
07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
That statement is incorrect.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/926761/000089710111000551/cphc111612_10k.htm --see page 21

2010 (first column) 2009 (second column)
Net (loss) income* $(992,206) $60,970
Interest income, net (12,913 ) (35,583)
Income tax (benefit) (272,000 ) 199,800
Depreciation 2,043,758 2,094,174
EBITDA $766,639 $2,319,361
Loss on disp of assets 906,940 —
Adjusted EBITDA $1,673,579 $2,319,361

*net income is still lower in 2010 even when the loss of asset sales is added back, which is the proper way to look at things.I miss quoted the year.:blush: The year of the shut down was last year 2011. I am sorry. Thanks for numbers anyway.

cj
07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
The shutdown of racing due to political haggling over the state budget did not effect Canterbury's bottom line. Their profits were up for 2010 despite/because of the the shutdown.
It is just as hot here but the Lincoln track is running because they don't have a casino to cover their loses. They have to at least break even break even on their live racing and simulcasting. It will be at least monday before we get a break from the heat so they will run this weekend too just like last weekend. Even though the horses that run here are cheap, they are still horses. It is too bad that they have to run in this weather.

Why are you using Lincoln as a comparison to anything? This is akin to comparing what the New York Yankees do to what their A affiliate the Charleston River Dogs do.

Al Gobbi
07-05-2012, 09:03 PM
NWS reporting temps at Belmont between 97-100 degrees are possible for Saturday, not including heat index.

Robert Goren
07-06-2012, 04:54 AM
Why are you using Lincoln as a comparison to anything? This is akin to comparing what the New York Yankees do to what their A affiliate the Charleston River Dogs do.Heat is heat, whether it is in Lincoln or Charleston or NYC. If you are going to use heat as excuse, it should apply everywhere. With a hot day predicted for tomorrow, NYRA will get their chance to prove me wrong if the heat does show up.

cj
07-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Heat is heat, whether it is in Lincoln or Charleston or NYC. If you are going to use heat as excuse, it should apply everywhere. With a hot day predicted for tomorrow, NYRA will get their chance to prove me wrong if the heat does show up.

Maybe Lincoln shouldn't be running. Each place makes its own decision. It has been very hot in NY for a while now, so comparing what they did over a week ago to this weekend seems a little silly to me. Acclimatization, look it up.

Wagergirl
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Heat is heat, whether it is in Lincoln or Charleston or NYC. If you are going to use heat as excuse, it should apply everywhere. With a hot day predicted for tomorrow, NYRA will get their chance to prove me wrong if the heat does show up.

you just can't let this go can you?? Just like Trolling???

Robert Goren
07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
you just can't let this go can you?? Just like Trolling???You are right. I will try not post on this subject again (but no promises if somebody gets me stirred up).

Wagergirl
07-06-2012, 12:13 PM
You are right. I will try not post on this subject again (but no promises if somebody gets me stirred up)

I won't hold you to it. I know some bait is just too tempting to pass up. :D