PDA

View Full Version : Beavers keep flooding my yard! anyone have this problem?

Zippy Chippy
06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
I have a small lake/pond in my backyard. Beavers keep building dams causing my yard to flood. It's against the law to catch and relocate the beavers so unfortunately they are trapping and killing them. We took a kayak out to the dam and its unreal what theae animals use! There was trash, a shopping cart LOL, sticks, trash bags, golf clubs, ... All creating the dam.

Greyfox
06-24-2012, 05:35 PM
I have a small lake/pond in my backyard. Beavers keep building dams causing my yard to flood. It's against the law to catch and relocate the beavers so unfortunately they are trapping and killing them. We took a kayak out to the dam and its unreal what theae animals use! There was trash, a shopping cart LOL, sticks, trash bags, golf clubs, ... All creating the dam.

Who is trapping and killing them?

A temporary solution is ----dismantle or .....blow up the dam.
They'll rebuild it again though at some point.

FantasticDan
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
zhyCL-ELRxg

Zippy Chippy
06-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Who is trapping and killing them?

A temporary solution is ----dismantle or .....blow up the dam.
They'll rebuild it again though at some point.

Ya that doesnt work too well. It's someone that works foR the state. I have to pay for each beaver they trap. These suckers are enormous. The guy got bit by a beaver on day and it went thru his glove and broke skin

iceknight
06-24-2012, 06:57 PM
zhyCL-ELRxg That was irrelevant but super funny. :lol: thx.

sammy the sage
06-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Beaver is GOOD eat'n...just say'n ;)

boxcar
06-24-2012, 07:43 PM

Wow! Isn't that something? Can't catch 'em. Can't trap 'em. Can't kill 'em either, I suppose? Those beavers sure do wield a lot of power over mankind thanks to human idiots, who aren't as smart as the beavers. :rolleyes:

Do you know what they eat? If you know what they eat, set "food" traps for them and spike their favorite dish with some sleeping pills. Once they're conked out, they are yours to do with as you see fit. In the wee hours of the dark of night, you could smuggle them off 15 miles down the road or so and they'll probably never find their way back to you.

Boxcar

GameTheory
06-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Wow! Isn't that something? Can't catch 'em. Can't trap 'em. Can't kill 'em either, I suppose? Those beavers sure do wield a lot of power over mankind thanks to human idiots, who aren't as smart as the beavers. :rolleyes:

Do you know what they eat? If you know what they eat, set "food" traps for them and spike their favorite dish with some sleeping pills. Once they're conked out, they are yours to do with as you see fit. In the wee hours of the dark of night, you could smuggle them off 15 miles down the road or so and they'll probably never find their way back to you.

Maybe 150 miles. 15 miles may well be within their dam-material-gathering-terrority. Beavers are fantastic creatures -- hate to see anything happen to 'em.

Zippy Chippy
06-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Maybe 150 miles. 15 miles may well be within their dam-material-gathering-terrority. Beavers are fantastic creatures -- hate to see anything happen to 'em.

I agree I don't like to harm animals I wish they could toss them
On a plane to another state or something. Unbelievably smart. I guess the reason for dams is because they hate the sound of running water I've been told.

boxcar
06-24-2012, 10:07 PM

Okay...so you do overnight drive to get rid of the critters. :D And you're right, I would not advocate hurting them. But not being able to legally trap them and relocate them is patently absurd.

Boxcar

Zippy Chippy
06-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Okay...so you do overnight drive to get rid of the critters. :D And you're right, I would not advocate hurting them. But not being able to legally trap them and relocate them is patently absurd.

Boxcar

I agree. I was so sad when I heard this stupid law. The only other option is for me to live underwater.

Producer
06-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Call "Turtleman" from the Animal Planet show!! He'll surely know what to do.

Dave Schwartz
06-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Zippy,

How about some pictures?

Dave

Pace Cap'n
06-25-2012, 07:30 PM
I agree. I was so sad when I heard this stupid law. The only other option is for me to live underwater.

Maybe you could work a trade with the beavers. :)

Shemp Howard
06-25-2012, 08:38 PM
I've had a beaver problem for years. Can't live with them, can't live without it.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I've had a beaver problem for years. Can't live with them, can't live without it.

Amen!

Although as I'm getting older, and poorer, that living without it getting taken care of for me.

Canarsie
06-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Beaver*Damage Control

http://dnr.wi.gov/waterways/factsheets/beaverdamage.pdf f

MSU professor outwits beavers after 10-year struggle against dams

http://www.msstate.edu/web/media/detail.php?id=3162

A New Way to Solve Beaver Problems

http://www.wildlifehotline.org/Frame-22-beaverspage22.html?refresh=1161806802816

Good luck and here's hoping the Beavers find a new home far away from yours.

GameTheory
06-27-2012, 05:28 PM
The links above look interesting. Relocating beavers is tough because you'd just be shifting the problem to somebody else, and new beavers just move into the old areas as stated above. They modify entire ecosystems -- that's what they do. So you could take them into the national forest or something where there are other beavers but most likely it would be in a place where the territory is already claimed. We have lots of beaver ponds in Colorado, mostly in the middle of the wilderness. But you can't just go dumping new beavers in those areas and expect them to thrive.

Rookies
06-27-2012, 07:49 PM
"Ward, You Were Awfully Hard on the Beaver!"

Nobody went there thus far and a majority of this site would no doubt, like to go back to live in the year! :lol:

sammy the sage
07-23-2012, 09:51 PM
At least your Beaver ain't a crocodile...like the daffy Germans thought :lol:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/a-crocodile-terrorising-a-german-town-turns-out-to-be-a-beaver/story-fnd134gw-1226427671355