PDA

View Full Version : Hurrikane Kingcole---Race Timed In 1:46:1?

Sea Biscuit
06-21-2012, 03:55 PM
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/secretariat3/hurrikane-kingcole-1461.jpg

It was amazing, the people from the track told me that on the transponder they timed him in 1:46.1 and his last three-quarters in 1:18.3. Tim (Tetrick) never popped the earplugs or touched him."

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/6-20-12/race-timed-1461.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0knvf5Ndoq8&feature=player_embedded

Overcall
06-21-2012, 07:02 PM
And to come home in 25.4 not touched....he could win the next triple crown?
Is he eligible to the Jug and Messenger?
Seems the best horse was not at the final.

harness2008
06-21-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't know, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions over this. He indeed paced the last 3/4s in 118-3 but with the first quarter break his own time was run in the neighborhood of 30 seconds. Does anyone here agree or disagree that the majority of this field could have done exactly the same thing if allowed to run only 30 seconds to the first quarter? A back 3/4s such as this one is only possible with a tardily run first quarter. Without it, it's just not within the realm (at least now) of current harness horses.

He was able to brush basically for the rest of the race free and clear of any traffic issues which helps any horse. A projected time of 146-1 is all well and good but implies that he would have dusted this field by about 8 lengths which I can't believe. Also the clocking for his actual final quarter was 26.52 according to Trakus.

Sea Biscuit
06-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Transponder or not, I for one am having a tough time in believing he paced the mile in 1:46:1.

Can anyone out there explain how this was calculated.

toetoe
06-22-2012, 01:52 AM
... Does anyone here agree or disagree that the majority of this field could have done exactly the same thing if allowed to run only 30 seconds to the first quarter? ...

Glad you brought this up. I guess I believe that not all could do this. Check out these fractions from the following trotting qualifier on May 12 at Meadowlands:

31 ... 1:01.2 ... 1:28.4 ... 1:55.3. Third quarter of 27:2 and fourth of 26:4 ( :eek: ) add up to 54.1, geologically slow former half and all. The winner was Uncle Pete, and because he lost only two lengths to the aforementioned winner through that latter half, I think Money on My Mind is ready to roll Friday night at Meadowlands.

Sea Biscuit
06-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Hurrikane Kingcole is entered to race again in the Hempt eliminations at Pocono Downs on Sat June 23 in the 10th race.

Lets see what he does there.

harness2008
06-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Glad you brought this up. I guess I believe that not all could do this. Check out these fractions from the following trotting qualifier on May 12 at Meadowlands:

31 ... 1:01.2 ... 1:28.4 ... 1:55.3. Third quarter of 27:2 and fourth of 26:4 ( :eek: ) add up to 54.1, geologically slow former half and all. The winner was Uncle Pete, and because he lost only two lengths to the aforementioned winner through that latter half, I think Money on My Mind is ready to roll Friday night at Meadowlands.

Yes and no. I don't have the chart in front of me so I can't make an informed comment here. However it depends on how he ran this qualifier. If Money on my Mind made these fractions on the front end, then yes I believe he's ready to roll. If he was behind the leader on the pylons or further back with no outside moves, then I have my reservations about this. I'd be worried that being sucked along drafting behind other horses, not cutting his own wind and recording a time and back half which on the surface looks brilliant, is not really a time that can be recorded by him either on the front end or on the outside. Just a thought.

Oskar
06-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Hurrikane Kingcole hasn’t been blessed with a lot of good luck during his brief racing career. His only open stakes win was the Nassagaweya, which was raced in two divisions. He left from the two. Luc took him right to the front, and then backed the second quarter down to 29.3. HK was the 4-5 favorite and raced like it.

Aside from that, he had a good win over Heston Blue Chip in his Matron elimination. He was the 3-5 favorite out of the three for David Miller. HK jumped HBC approaching the half and the race was over. Tetrick turned the tables on him in the final, brushing to the top at the 3/8 and leaving Kingcole in his wake. HK was first up at the half, never got up to the leaders and dropped anchor in mid-stretch. He finished fifth. HK was 1-2 from the three and HBC 6-5 from the six.

In the Rooney, as the second choice from the five, he wound up sitting fourth and had to go first up at the half. He just couldn’t make a dent in the lead held by Bolt The Duer and Pet Rock. As was the case in the Matron final, first up at the half is not his strength.

In his Metro elimination he was 4-5 out of the eight. Luc left a ton with him and had him going three deep into the turn. He hit the quarter in 26. That was pretty taxing for a green two-year-old. Rocknroll Dance equaled the WR in that race, thanks to the hot half handed him by Luc and Kingcole. HK had trouble staying straight in the stretch. He finished third in the 49.1 mile.

Kingcole was on the rail near the front throughout the Metro final but was no match for the others at the end and finished fifth. Simply Business won the Metro, followed by Rocknroll Dance, Speed Again and I Fought Dalaw. Kingcole has had a nasty blast of speed in him from the start, but it was September and these other colts were improving at a faster rate than he was.

Kingcole drew the ten in the Champlain. Luc hit the rail and was never part of the race. He finished last.

There was more bad luck with the draw in his BC elimination. He drew the nine. Luc sat at the back and started to come wide into the stretch when a breaking horse scattered the field, leaving the inside open. Luc yanked Kingcole over to the rail and flew up the inside to get third. That was the luckiest thing to happen to him all year. That brush up the inside at the end is something we’ve seen from Kincole on several occasions. He was third in the BC final, losing by eight lengths.

The public loves Kingcole and he’s always been an object of their betting affection. The break prior to the start of his Cup elimination seems to fit the pattern of his racing. Maybe when his connections decided he should simply hit the rail at the back in the Champlain and his BC elimination it signaled that they want to make a stone closer out of him. That first up at the half stuff we saw in the Matron final and the Rooney sure doesn’t work for him at this level. In his win in the second leg of the NJSS at M1 this year,Tetrick hit the rail eighth at the start and finally joined the flow to the half. The colt passed seven others (Social Network broke at the start) as he unleashed a vicious kick down the stretch. It seems like that’s his niche. In his previous start they went a half in 57.3 so his rush up the inside, as exciting as it was, was to no avail. He’ll always be at the mercy of the pacesetters.

harness2008
06-23-2012, 09:33 PM
52-4 last half for the Hurricane. I don't think he's 146-1 fast, but he can definately go faster than this 148-1 clocking at Pocono tonight wrapped up at the end. This one's a monster when he stays out of trouble.

grant miller
06-23-2012, 11:33 PM
:jump: + 1 for harness 2008! man he looked awsome tonite:)

Sea Biscuit
06-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Hurrikane Kingcole is entered to race again in the Hempt eliminations at Pocono Downs on Sat June 23 in the 10th race.

Lets see what he does there.

You can describe Hurrikane Kingcole's performance at Pocono on Sat in just 3 words only.

Crushed the field

He took charge of the race at the 1/2 mile call and won going away in 1:48:1 by 7 3/4 lengths with fractions of 26:1--55:2--1:21:3--1:48:1.

Congratulations to the connections. Must have been a real thrill for them to see the horse win the race by the margin he did. He paid only $2.80 to win.

This horse is the real deal. Its truly sad he did not make the NA cup final as he would have been a major player in the race. The future looks very bright for this horse.

Oskar
06-24-2012, 07:39 PM
One thing to remember about the three Hempt eliminations is that Kingcole and Bolt The Duer both brushed to the top during slow second quarters, 29.1 in Kingcole’s case and 29 in the case of Bolt The Duer. Kingcole was gapped much of the way to the 26.1 opening quarter and sat fourth until Tetrick made his move at the 3/8. BTD also sat out the opening quarter in 26 and had an easy time of it until MacDonald moved him 3/8 into the race. Again, that second quarter was very slow in both of those races. Sure, Kingcole and BTD went up the back in 26.1 and 26.3 respectively, but they should have had plenty of go in them at that point.

Dalaw’s elimination—the slowest of the three—was different. The opening quarter—26.2—was similar, but they went a 27.4 second quarter here, and Dalaw jumped to the top between the ¼ and the 3/8. The second half was slower in that he went up the back in 27.2 and came home in 28. However, although One Through Ten made an impressive push at the end, the race was over early.

There will be no 29 plus second quarter in the final. Can’t see any of them brushing to the top before the half and blowing the rest of the field away up the back. It’s more likely that the winner will be required to race all four quarters. Those colts won't have an opportunity to swell up from making that big push to the top while the field is crawling along.

Historically Kingcole’s problem is coming out early and getting stuck out there. McErlean, Mortal Zin and Hillbilly Hanover were the three colts he blew by last night. It could be I Fought Dalaw, Bolt The Duer and A Rocknroll Dance in those spots next week.

Oskar
06-28-2012, 08:14 PM
McDermott Says “Kingcole” Worked

Lightly Before Hempt

John McDermott believed that if Hurrikane Kingcole put it all

together on the racetrack, people would see a very fast horse.

Hurrikane Kingcole had it all together in his elimination for

Saturday’s $300,000 Max C. Hempt Memorial for 3-year-old

pacers at Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs. And he was fast.

Driven by Tim Tetrick, the colt posted a 7 3/4-length win

over I Like Dreamin in 1:48.1—a time that equaled Custard

The Dragon’s world record for 3-year-old colt pacers on a

five-eighths-mile oval. It was the second win of the season

for Hurrikane Kingcole, who went offstride behind the starting

gate two weeks prior in his elim for the Pepsi North

America Cup and failed to reach the final despite a furious

rally that some railbirds clocked in 1:46.1, the last three

quarters in 1:18.3.

“I was expecting him to be big,” McDermott said. “He’s a

very special horse. I said at the beginning of this year when I

trained him at the Meadowlands in (1):51 that this will be the

fastest horse that ever lived. He’s got all the ability. When his

brain is working he’s scary good. His speed is just ridiculous.”

McDermott worked Hurrikane Kingcole lightly in preparation

for the Hempt. “I joked with Timmy (after the elim) that

he should be tight now,” McDermott said.

Hurrikane Kingcole, who has benefited from chiropractic

work to help straighten out some steering issues, has won

two of five races this season and seven of 18 in his career.

He has earned $322,157 lifetime for owners McDermott, Jeffrey

Kuhen, John Levy Racing and the group of Jonathan

Klee, Mitchell Cohen, Arthur Brewer II and Jeffrey Gordon.

(harnessracing.com)

Oskar
07-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Once again Kingcole got cooked going first up against top tier colts. Last week he brushed to the top in that 29.1 second quarter, but he had McErlean, Mortal Zin and Hillbilly in front of him. The first two weren't in the final and Hillbilly raced in seventh throughout the mile and finished fifth at 70-1.

He got nowhere going first up against Heston Blue Chip in the Matron and the same thing happened in the Rooney with Bolt The Duer cutting the mile.

All that talent, all that speed, and one major open stakes win to show for it--not good. Time to find another way to the finish line.

Oskar
07-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Hurrikane Kingcole Tries To Regroup

Published: July 5, 2012 8:23 pm ET

With Dapper Dude and Warrawee Needy already taking a pass on this year’s Meadowlands Pace eliminations due to their respective health issues, trainer John McDermott wasn’t far away from finding himself in a similar situation with Hurrikane Kingcole.

“I don’t think he’ll be 100 percent on Saturday. One of this week’s goals is to get him in the big dance. I’m not going to tell George [driver George Brennan] what to do, yet it would be nice to kick home with one of his :25 and change final quarters, and pass some horses. He could win it, but only if everything falls together for him.”

Trainer John McDermott has his fingers crossed that Hurrikane Kingcole is well on the recovery trail from recent health issues heading into the eliminations for the $600,000 Meadowlands Pace.

The Cams Card Shark colt drew post eight [program number seven] in the first of two $50,000 eliminations on Saturday’s 13-race program at the Meadowlands Racetrack, carded as races five and six. The top five finishers from each split advance to the final on July 14, and elimination winners pick their post positions.

As the heavy favorite in the $300,000 final on June 30, Hurrikane Kingcole got parked through a torrid pace and finished sixth. It was discovered after the race the colt was under the weather.

“He came out of the Hempt on Saturday and scoped four-out-of-ten sick,” McDermott continued.“He went on antibiotics on Sunday, and that’s the first time this year he has had to do that. On Monday morning he was quite drained, and it was the first time I’ve seen him dull in his life. I was really quite concerned, but he’s definitely made a turn for the better. Tuesday was a better day. He was starting to come back around. I’m hoping he can improve each day, and I’m just glad the [Pace]final is not this week.

“He had never been sick in his life and was so good the week before,” McDermott said. “I scoped him twice during the week. I saw a little trace out of his nose one day after he jogged. I blew him out last Thursday before the [Hempt final] and he was clean. You roll the dice in how he actually catches something, but stress has a lot to do with it. Running back and forth to Canada [for the North America Cup in June], it’s very easy for a horse to get stressed. It also doesn’t help going from 70-degree days to 100-degree days.”

McDermott is cautiously optimistic Hurrikane Kingcole can bounce back in time.

McDermott is confident Hurrikane Kingcole can bounce back in time, and clearly he has the talent to be a top colt - he only needs a fair chance to prove it.

“I keep telling everybody his story has to have a happy ending. It seems we’re having some regular bumps in the road. People have been saying he’s all speed and can’t race from off the pace. Plus, he hasn’t won for big money yet, but I feel he will eventually will.

“It would be awesome if he were to win the Pace. The Meadowlands is where he grew up. He lived there everyday of his life before they closed the backstretch. We’ve got a nice group of horses for the Pace this time, and I’m just hoping to be dancing with a fair shot.”

(Meadowlands Racetrack)