PDA

View Full Version : High Fructose Corn Syrup -- Alcohol with the Buzz

highnote
06-21-2012, 11:01 AM
I think I posted this before, but what the hell, I'll post it again:

Sugar: The Bitter Truth by Robert Lustig, M.D., UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

It's lengthy and scientific at times, but worth viewing. You will think twice before you drink a can of Coke or Pepsi. You might want to choose Fizzy Izzy instead.

Here is a summary of his presentation:

1. Fructose consumption has increased in the past 30 years, coinciding with the obesity epidemic

2. A calorie is not a calorie and fructose is not glucose. (They are not used the same way in the body.)

3. You are NOT what you eat, you are WHAT YOU DO with what you eat and fructose can NOT be utilized like glucose.

4. Hepatic (liver) fructose metabolism leads to all the manifestation of the Metobolic Syndrome:
■hypertension (high blood pressure due to increased uric acid created from breaking down fructose)
■inflammation
■hepatic insulin resistance
■obesity
■CNS leptin resistance promoting continuous consumption (our brain doesn’t tell us we are full)
■lipogenesis, dyslipidemia, hepatic steatosis

5. Fructose ingestion interferes with obesity intervention

6. Fructose is a chronic hepatotoxin (it’s alcohol without the buzz) and the FDA can’t and won’t regulate it.

LottaKash
06-21-2012, 11:22 AM
John, I am glad you posted this...HFC is becoming the scourge of our lifetimes...

The "lady on tv" representing the corn people, would have us believe that, "sugar is sugar", but it taint so.....America is being duped, and we are beginning to pay for that swindle now....

Thx for the post....

ArlJim78
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
but the friendly commercial put out by the corn growers said its a scientific fact that your body can't tell the difference. I never believed that because I can taste the difference.
in any case you can get soda with sweeteners other than HFCS.
around here you can get "Mexicokes" which use the good stuff.

wisconsin
06-21-2012, 11:35 AM
but the friendly commercial put out by the corn growers said its a scientific fact that your body can't tell the difference. I never believed that because I can taste the difference.

Those Cokes are available here as well, but I really find them to be less carbonated.

Wagergirl
06-21-2012, 11:36 AM

And it tastes better. (just saying)

ArlJim78
06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Those Cokes are available here as well, but I really find them to be less carbonated.
yeah maybe they are a little less carbonated now that I think about it.
but they taste great imo.

I like to mix it up, some of the HFCS, some cane suger, some sugar free.
I get bored sticking with the same thing.

sammy the sage
06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
And it tastes better. (just saying)

I like mine w/a straw :p

DJofSD
06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Regardless of scientific backing or industry research on either side of the issue, all that I know from personal experience is by dropping added sugar, especially soft drinks with HFCS, I have been able to lose weight and maintain it for a number of years.

As a teen ager, my weight was about 155. About 20 years ago, when learning to cross country ski and getting set up for back country skiing, I discovered I was 165. That lasted until the end of that relationship.

Then about 10 years ago I joined some coworkers in a social endevour walking up and down stairs between floors (5 stories). As a part of that I was shocked to learn I had balloned to close to 190. The social activity morphed into a weight loss program. Over 6 months I lost close to 20 pounds, and, about that same time, had an annual check up. My doctor was satisfied with my weight (yes, I did tell him the whole story) and said as long as I did not gain any of it back, it was good, around 173-175.

However, I remembered my prior weight of 165. First thing I did was to drop the added sugar and the soft drinks as stated above. Limit the number of meals at fast food restaruants and increasing my exercise has allowed me to get to the 165 level. Just checked it yesterday and still at 165.

HFCS: the industry would have you believe there is no difference between what they produce v. other types of sugar. Really? Does any one remember the claims of the tabacco industry in the 1950's and into the 1960's?

BTW, the YT video is a production of UCSF. There is a lot of good lectures and seminars from the UC campii and I find the medical and psychological presentations very good.

Robert Fischer
06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
4. Hepatic (liver) fructose metabolism leads to all the manifestation of the Metobolic Syndrome

The most under-emphasized part of the obesity epidemic (and some would say because of the BIG money in sugar foods and carbs) is the role of the LIVER.

The liver basically has a gas-tank for sugars.

We eat sugar or carbs or veggies --->digested---->Insulin takes it to the gas-tank

not only is the insulin response an addictive cycle, the gas-tank tells the body when to burn fat or store fat.

Once we've had a coca cola and our liver fills up, additional sugars are stored as fat. Body fat use for energy virtually stops.

When we have a relatively empty(of sugars) liver our fat gets used for energy at a much higher rate.

We need a small amount of sugar for our brains to function. Beyond that it goes into our survival gas-tank.

Robert Goren
06-21-2012, 01:05 PM
We can get Pepsi made with sugar here. I like the corn sweeten stuff better which surprised me. I was sure I'd like the sugar stuff better. I am trying to wean my self off Pepsi and only drink it on special occasions. It is tough, I used to get up to a can. I just not that much into coffee, but I am trying.

rastajenk
06-21-2012, 01:51 PM
If you can't get up to the can, sometimes a tree or well-placed bush will do.

Tom
06-21-2012, 02:37 PM
I like mine w/a straw :p

ME too...a flavor straw!

http://www.magicstraws.com/

wes
06-21-2012, 05:30 PM
I like mine with stump water,

wes