PDA

View Full Version : Brain surgery...

sq764
01-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Ok, it's 16 degrees and 0 wind chill and it took 4 races to decide to cancel?? Were they expecting it to warm to 60 today or something??

Aqueduct cancels after four races
By KAREN M. JOHNSON
OZONE PARK, N.Y. - After four races, Friday's card at Aqueduct was canceled because of the extreme cold.
With the temperature hovering at 16 degrees and a wind chill of zero, the jockeys decided not to ride the five remaining races.

Jockey Mike Luzzi said, "It's not that it's dangerous [to ride]; it's just not possible. Shaun [Bridgmohan] has welts on his face from the dirt hitting him."

Richard Migliore, the meet's leading rider, said he couldn't feel his fingers because of the cold.

The forecast for Saturday was for continued frigid temperatures with increased winds. Dave Hicks, a steward for the New York Racing Association, said the stewards would meet with the jockeys Saturday morning to determine the status of Saturday's card.

Friday's card featured a pick 6 carryover of nearly $98,000. The law requires that four races must be run in the pick 6 for the money in the carryover to be distributed. Racing was canceled after one race in the pick-6 sequence, so the carryover is rolled over to the next racing day. The money wagered in Friday's pick 6 pool was paid out based on one actual winner, American Comedy. Each of the 42,374 winning tickets returned $7. The takeout on the winning tickets was 20 percent, rather than the customary 25 when a carryover is in effect.

O Jeff Farrell, an assistant starter, was struck in the forehead by one of American Comedy's hooves before the start of the fourth race. Farrell was sent to the hospital for stitches.

Valuist
01-09-2004, 05:19 PM
They actually cancelled when it was 16 ABOVE?? I'd be pissed if I had planned on betting that card. Most tracks will not consider cancelling until it gets south of the zero marker.

Figman
01-09-2004, 05:37 PM
You can't go strictly by the temperature....it's the wind chill that kills 'em. And on Long Island the wind off the water is sometimes brutal!

JustRalph
01-09-2004, 06:30 PM
the pick 6 payout

4-all-all-all-all-all $7.00

PurplePower
01-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Just got stopped by one of our major players and asked about this. Said they keyed #7 in first leg and their multiplies in final five races totaled just over 2000 on one ticket. They got back $7.00. This player's impression is that the track knew that was the rule (it is state law) and made sure they ran the 4th race so that they could pocket the 20% takeout (estimated at about $70,000 based on the payout). Definitely doesn't sound like the most fair way to distribute the spoils.

JustRalph
01-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by PurplePower
Just got stopped by one of our major players and asked about this. Said they keyed #7 in first leg and their multiplies in final five races totaled just over 2000 on one ticket. They got back $7.00. This player's impression is that the track knew that was the rule (it is state law) and made sure they ran the 4th race so that they could pocket the 20% takeout (estimated at about $70,000 based on the payout). Definitely doesn't sound like the most fair way to distribute the spoils.

they should have received $7 back per ticket. am I right? I guess if you didn't have the first horse you were screwed since there was no 5 of 6 today. Ouch!

Speed Figure
01-09-2004, 08:23 PM
What if your ticket cost $144 do you only get $7 back. How does this work?

shots
01-09-2004, 08:44 PM
6 of 6 paid $7.00

PurplePower
01-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Speed Figure
What if your ticket cost $144 do you only get $7 back. How does this work? Joe said they only got back $7.00 -- not $7.00 per combination. HOWEVER, I am inclined to believe that each ticket that had 7 in the first position was a winner so if a player had 7 with 2,3,4 with 1,2 with 5 with 5 with 5 for example he actually had 7-2-1-5-5-5; 7-2-2-5-5-5; 7-3-1-5-5-5; 7-3-2-5-5-5; (and 2 more with 4 in secon leg) for a total of 6X$7 or $42. Joe said they ONLY got $7.00. A player using ALL in first leg would only have one $7 ticket if he played singles in the rest of the races. I went looking for Joe and haven't found him in his usual seat so I'll check with him again later this evening. Sounded to me like he had cashed the ticket and only received $7.00 however.

Buddha
01-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Yea, I think that was a bad call. Why not cancel after 3 races, or why not just refund all pick 6 wagers. Like someone said, NYRA got their take, and distributed the rest. I had played a $2 ticket, so I wasnt too upset, but what if you played a couple thousand dollar ticket, and for some reason didnt have the winner in the 4th, you just donated that money to NYRA and the winners who had the 8, i think it was that won the 4th.

Speed Figure
01-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys,

That's bull $hit with what they did. They should have just gave the money back! :mad: :mad: