PDA

View Full Version : DOG INFO. PLEASE

canleakid
06-19-2012, 03:23 PM
yesterday my 3 yr. Maltese had a seizure, the blood work came in today all is normal (the vets. are great one is a LSU grad. the other an A&M AGGIE) think he might have canine epilepsy. I take him back in a few days for a follow up, having been reading up on the subject, just wondering if any of you have had any experience with canine epilspsy?????????? thanks

DJofSD
06-19-2012, 03:38 PM
A long time ago, my now ex-wife, had a sheltie that had siezures on occasion. It would some how know slightly in advance and would give us a look and then lay down. It would recover and we'd let it rest until it was ready to resume normal activity which it always did. It lived well into it's expected adult life span -- 12, 13 or more years.

TJDave
06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
We had a Dalmatian who exhibited symptoms of epilepsy so I did quite a bit of research. There is medication available that will enable your pet to lead an extended although less active life.

As it turns out, Ruby's epilepsy was caused by a brain tumor and we had to put her down. Horribly sad day for us.

I'd ask the vet for an x-ray.

JustRalph
06-19-2012, 04:16 PM
We had a Dalmatian who exhibited symptoms of epilepsy so I did quite a bit of research. There is medication available that will enable your pet to lead an extended although less active life.

As it turns out, Ruby's epilepsy was caused by a brain tumor and we had to put her down. Horribly sad day for us.

I'd ask the vet for an x-ray.

Had a friend with same scenario. Rule out the tumor.

My dog as a kid had k-9 seizures, as they called it in the 60's-70’s. he lived a very long life with occasional seizures.

Btw, veterinarians are a pet peeve of mine. Good ones are worth their weight in gold. Young inexperienced, hands off, read me the test results types are to be avoided.

Just Friday I lost one of my cats to CRF. He was 15. They rely on us. Make sure you are working with a hands on experienced vet.

ldiatone
06-19-2012, 05:51 PM
daughter is a vet tech. loves animals(oh brother). when she moved out on her boyfriend she "gave" us a pup who was a seizure dog. had many seizures while we had her. gave her phenobarbitol.
twice a day. lasted a few mos. till she fell out of bed(only way to keep her calm at nights) and had a stroke . could not use her back right legs and draged them down the steps. went back to the vet and she mentioned she saw no response in the pups eyes. had to put her down :( :( she was very protective. good dog.......although always hungry..until i blocked the basement steps, i never had to change the cat boxes.. :blush:

so.cal.fan
06-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Canleakid:
Our precious rat terrier Girly, had canine epilepsy, first discovered at age 3.
She had infrequent seizures until about age 10, didn't have any the last three years of her life.
I was a member of an online canine epilepsy group Guardian Angels.
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/
I have several friends who are experts in this subject.
I would like to help you and your dog.
Please send me a private message if you are interested in my experience.
There are plenty of good tips, my best one is to keep a small ice pack, a pack of frozen veg. will do, or a baggie with ice cubes. When you little dog starts a seizure, place the ice pack on her mid back....hold it there.
It always stopped Girly's seizures.
There are many good tips, please feel free to write me. We would be more than happy to help you and your little dog.

So.Cal. Fan/ Diane

atlasaxis
06-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Marty, look for a chiropractor or veterinarian that does spinal manipulation on animals. If you need help finding someone just let me know. Tom

Wagergirl
06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Our dog has seizures now and then, We took her to the vet and he also suspected that she has epilepsy. He gave us some options of medication, but he felt that since she was such an active dog, that the meds would do more harm then good. She has them about once every 5-6 months. Usually 2-3 in a day, then none for a long period of time. She is 6 now. The vets expect her to live a long life. They did do xrays to rule out a brain tumor as well.

so.cal.fan
06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
I agree with wagergirl.
We also had a dog who had seizures from age 4 to age 10, she never had a seizure her last 3 years of life. I would estimate in her lifetime she had less than 2 dozen seizures. Only one was moderately severe. I always found the ice back on their back was a very good way to stop a seizure.
We never put her on meds. Used other home remedies. Unless a dog has cluster seizures that are life threatening, meds are not the best idea.
PB can be very hard on their liver.

xtb
06-20-2012, 05:19 PM
My sister's 8 yr old Scottie had two seizures and all blood work was normal. He then started throwing up occasionally and was treated for an "ulcer" for several months, even after having an ultrasound of his stomach. When he stopped eating, she took him to another vet who immediately diagnosed his stomach cancer. The vet said seizures can be a symptom of cancer. Have your dog's sedimentation rate checked, it's usually not included in blood work.

We had a greyhound mix who began having seizures and took her to a vet neurologist. He said 50% of the time it's inflammation of some kind (infection, cancer), 45% of the time a brain tumor and 5% of the time epilepsy.

canleakid
06-20-2012, 05:22 PM
got him off the PB today, :) thanks too All for ALL the info. will stay in touch with so.cal.fan (got your phone#)

so.cal.fan
06-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Canleakid:
I'm so glad you got Sooner off PB. That is a very, very dangerous drug.
There is a chance that Sooner ate some toxic plant or got an insect bite which caused his seizure.
If he has another one, treat it with Rescue Remedy (buy at health food store), you mix it with a little honey or cream, he'll take it after the seizure, it will help him. Also if you see him start a seizure, use the little baggie of ice on his back.
They have some very useful tips on Canine Guardian Angel website.
You can always call John or me, anytime, if you're worried about Sooner.
The very last resort should be PB or other strong drugs.
Don't worry about Sooner, the good chance is he'll be just fine, and if he has a few seizures a year, it's not going to be a serious problem.
Thank you for questioning this.
This PA board is a wealth of information from some wonderful people who are more than willing to help others.
When my husband John was nearly killed in March of 2011 at Santa Anita, he received dozens and dozens of messages from the Pace Advantage members. We still have them.
People here are very good people.
:)

Valuist
08-03-2012, 05:34 PM
A few weeks ago I posted a You Tube bit about the dog my daughter adopted. And like Canleakid's dog, this dog had a seizure last night. The dog started shaking and lost control of its bowels. He just came back from the vet and will be ok but is on medicine for them. Apparently this isn't all that uncommon.