PDA

View Full Version : We Can Make Something Happen

rrbauer
01-09-2004, 12:36 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=19953

If you ever felt like it didn't matter whether you complained or not, here's your chance to change all of that.

www.boycottmagna.com

I just sense a lot of ticked-off players around the country. If that's you, please join me.

so.cal.fan
01-09-2004, 04:35 PM
RB:
Check out this thread and my thread on Santa Anita rumor on the DMFF:
http://www.dmtc.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=117022&t=117021

People are noticing your boycott!

trying2win
01-09-2004, 05:12 PM
--Good for you Richard for taking a stand. I'm pondering to quit betting Santa Anita myself, only for different reasons. Some of them are:

1. Too many 5 and 6 horse fields (caused by a lack of entries, or a multitude of scratches every race day).

2. RESULTS - There seems to be too many races where the winners are going from one extreme to the other...i.e. the winners are either hot favorites or left-field longshots (you know the ones that look terrible on form, and have a "sudden display of outstanding form!"

--I don't like betting to win short-priced favorites. Also, it goes against my natural inclinations to bet on a longshot that looks real bad on the form. If I'm going to bet on some longshots, I'm looking for at least some evidence that a horse has something going for it. I'm having better success lately betting horses at Turf Paradise, Delta Downs and Turfway Park, than I am at Santa Anita. Try and figure that one out!

Thanks,

Trying2win

so.cal.fan
01-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Not too hard for me to figure out T2W.
I know two or three regular paddock guys, at SA everyday, making big bets.......they have expressed the same complaints as you have, nearly word for word.
No, it's not just you.

howardjim
01-10-2004, 11:32 AM
I have gladly joined the Magna boycott.Stronach's tactics are a grim reminder of the racing industry's disdain for bettors.It is easy to be cynical about the effectiveness of this effort but it feels better to be part of it.

Figman
01-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Magna's Gulfstream Park expecting a big handle increase today with NY's Aqueduct & Maryland's Laurel Park closed for weather conditions and FUNNY CIDE on the GP card. Boycotters.....Fair Grounds is the best alternative.

Tom
01-10-2004, 12:43 PM
...the OTHER Palm-treed track.
Full fields.
Turf racing.
No Magan-morons
Bet Tampa, send a message to Frankie

(I heard Tam and TVG were in negotiations...MAJOR potential if it bears fruit)

BillW
01-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Tom
...the OTHER Palm-treed track.
Full fields.
Turf racing.
No Magan-morons
Bet Tampa, send a message to Frankie

(I heard Tam and TVG were in negotiations...MAJOR potential if it bears fruit)

Re. TAM and TVG - after Magna offered to raise their rates to TAM and pay less for TAM's signal, this may happen.

I'm playing TAM now ... full fields. Dirt and turf both GD.

Bill

trying2win
01-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Not too hard for me to figure out T2W.
I know two or three regular paddock guys, at SA everyday, making big bets.......they have expressed the same complaints as you have, nearly word for word.
No, it's not just you.

So Cal Fan,

--More scratches in the early races at Santa Anita today. These short fields got even shorter!

--I took a day off from playing Santa Anita on this week's Thursday card. Found one playable race on Friday....S.O.S. (SAME-OLD-STORY) or back in L. A. (LOST AGAIN)! So, in conclusion, nothing's changed.

--The good news is, I just started playing Turfway Park this week for the first time in ages. Have been getting excellent results so far. Thanks to the Turfway Park results, I won't have to read the "shirt sale" ads in the newspapers just yet! LOL.

--Hope you had the winner of the first race at Santa Anita this Saturday...THAMES at $26.60 to win. I sure didn't have it.

Regards,

Trying2win

so.cal.fan
01-10-2004, 05:04 PM
I just got back from there, T2W.
No, I didn't have Thames. This was not a good field, at least 4 of these horses never look good in the paddock and never pull up well after races, Thames tends to warm up, rather poorly I might add with no pony, which indicates to me he is not so sound, but I guess it didn't matter, he was the best of a bad bunch.
I left after the race. Believe it or not, for the first time in 40 years 12 days have gone by of the start of a Santa Anita meet and I have not made even ONE BET. I wonder if we will ever bet another horse at Santa Anita, T2W....LOL

linrom1
01-10-2004, 07:10 PM
The decrease in handle at GP has nothing to do with any boycott just like it has nothing to do with the small fields at SA. Is the handle up at Tampa? Have you watched the races at FG? The quality of racing is just atrocious everywhere.

Figman
01-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Linrom:
Can't but the small fields non-effect part! Today's wagering is upwards of 70% on combined multiple and exotic bets across the country. Small fields mean less available combinations available to be bet. Wagering is maximized by full fields. Small fields "hurt" handle (period!).

This is similar to the result from a decrease in takeout. Any one individual could state that "the amount of takeout doesn't hurt my individual bankroll!" But the effect on the aggregate of all bettors wagering into an increased takeout has just one effect....more money is taken out of circulation. With a decrease in takeout, winners win larger amounts over a period of time and subsequently wager larger amounts with those larger amounts coming from their increased winnings.

Here's a question about that NY handicapper, Nick Kling, that made a flat bet profit picking every race all year long in 2003 at the three NYRA racetracks. Would there have been any profit if NYRA did not have the lowest win takeout in the nation at 14% giving Nick an aggregate higher monetary return for all his 2003 winners?

trying2win
01-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Figman
Linrom:
Can't but the small fields non-effect part! Today's wagering is upwards of 70% on combined multiple and exotic bets across the country. Small fields mean less available combinations available to be bet. Wagering is maximized by full fields. Small fields "hurt" handle (period!).

This is similar to the result from a decrease in takeout. Any one individual could state that "the amount of takeout doesn't hurt my individual bankroll!" But the effect on the aggregate of all bettors wagering into an increased takeout has just one effect....more money is taken out of circulation. With a decrease in takeout, winners win larger amounts over a period of time and subsequently wager larger amounts with those larger amounts coming from their increased winnings.

Here's a question about that NY handicapper, Nick Kling, that made a flat bet profit picking every race all year long in 2003 at the three NYRA racetracks. Would there have been any profit if NYRA did not have the lowest win takeout in the nation at 14% giving Nick an aggregate higher monetary return for all his 2003 winners?

Figman,

--I can't figure out what you meant in your first sentence (must be some typos in there), but I sure agree with you on the rest of what you say about small fields(and disagree with linrom) and also agree with your comments about increased takeouts.

Trying2win

trying2win
01-10-2004, 11:10 PM
So Cal Fan,

--That's amazing patience you have there. Not one bet yet at this Santa Anita meet! Wish I had that kind of patience!

--I had another losing day at Santa Anita. So, I've decided to quit betting there and take a hiatus from that track for awhile. On the bright side, I had another winning day at Turfway Park, so everything isn't gloomy.

--May your patience at Santa Anita reward you with a good four-figure win mutuel.

Trying2win

breakage
01-11-2004, 04:10 AM
(1) T2W....Make Figman's "but" into a "buy" in his first sentence. (2) The takeout at Tampa Bay is awful...not as bad as last year, but still awful. (3) Santa Anita and Gulfstream handle will decline even further after Monday as I believe both tracks will make their website video "pay per view".

so.cal.fan
01-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Damn it, you guys. Do you think they will make Lone Star a pay per view when that track opens?
This is not a good thing.

trying2win
01-11-2004, 07:18 PM
--Well, I sure won't he sending Frank a cheque for $4.99 U.S. per month to watch the Santa Anita live video. I'm too much of a cheapskate trying to keep my overhead expenses down.

--As for Frank charging a fee for watching the Santa Anita live video, it reminds me of that amended version of the Golden Rule...I think it went something like:

"Those who have a lot of gold make the rules"

--A progressive track like Del Mar is more generous, and provides a lot more free information for handicappers.

--Some PA members will say it's okay to pay the extra $4.99 U.S. per month, because it's just part of the cost of doing business as a handicapper. Nothing wrong with that outlook. Freedom of choice.

--I'm thoroughly dissatisfied with Santa Anita already, what with the abundance of short fields, then when you get some full fields...10 out of 12 entries are first-time starters, 8-race cards on weekdays, too many winners that are either hot favorites or left-field longshots. No wonder I quit betting Santa Anita again starting today. Judging by the early results today, some of the horses I picked would have been losers. So, as they say "nothing's changed". I don't even know if using an ouiji board to try and pick winners, would help at Santa Anita!...LOL...

--Anybody having a good meet so far at Santa Anita?. If you are,
congratulations. I don't know how you do it.

Trying2win

Tom
01-11-2004, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't play Santa Anita with your money and Suff's balls!
:eek: