PDA

View Full Version : If someone asks you to repeat your wager

Wagergirl
06-15-2012, 03:03 PM
you can almost guarantee it has nothing to do with them being a "%$^&*(*&^% retard" as much as it has to do with we can't hear you because

Your tv/radio is too loud, turn it down before you call.
The bar you are in is too loud, step out side before you call
or our accent is diffferent then your accent. speak slowly...

but if we are asking you to repeat it. Don't be mad.. we are doing it to make sure we have your wager right.

but calling me a "^&*()(*& retard" is not going to get your wager in.

ok.. I'm done venting. :)

JustRalph
06-15-2012, 03:04 PM
This is great. I like hearing the other side :lol:

thaskalos
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Maybe the horses were already in the gate...and the customer was afraid of being shut off.

Personally, I don't mind getting shut off, because I figure it saves me money in the long run.

But some players are more optimistic than I am...

Wagergirl
06-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Maybe the horses were already in the gate...and the customer was afraid of being shut off.

Personally, I don't mind getting shut off, because I figure it saves me money in the long run.

But some players are more optimistic than I am...

That can be the case, but yelling at the wager taker.. isn't going to help. repeat, and then yell at them after the wager is in. :)

I have found that the people with the most money in their accounts are the ones who are the most laid back. It is kinda funny to me to be yelled at at someone who has 76 cents in his account and he is trying to get his ten cent supers in.

Zydeco
06-15-2012, 04:03 PM
good info. thanks

Grits
06-15-2012, 07:46 PM
you can almost guarantee it has nothing to do with them being a "%$^&*(*&^% retard" as much as it has to do with we can't hear you because

Your tv/radio is too loud, turn it down before you call.
The bar you are in is too loud, step out side before you call
or our accent is diffferent then your accent. speak slowly...

but if we are asking you to repeat it. Don't be mad.. we are doing it to make sure we have your wager right.

but calling me a "^&*()(*& retard" is not going to get your wager in.

ok.. I'm done venting. :)

Please, if possible, can you use another term. My son is Down Syndrome, he's "special needs", the proper term used today. Though grown, he's my only child. Its hurtful to read anyone being called a "retard", when through no choice of his or her own, one is born mentally handicapped. Its equally so to read "the normal population" called the same.

I don't mean to be a problem, but I wouldn't be the mother I am, if I didn't ask. I hope you'll understand. This is the second time this one's been rolled out this week. :(

Meunuco
06-15-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't mean to be a problem,

Which reminds me of that classic line, in one of my favorite movies, "Shag, the movie", where the dude says to Phoebe Cates' character something like: "you sure do have a lot of rules for yourself, Miss Carson."

Luckily, she relaxed a bit. But that's the movies.

ElKabong
06-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Grits,

I think she only used the phrase b/c she was called that, on the phone. At least that was how I interpreted her post. I could be wrong

Being guilty of using that phrase here, mostly in jest, I'll stop at your request.

Wagergirl,
sorry you have to suffer that abuse, but don't take it personally. Looking at folks at the simo, they're not the most polite beings alive. It's basically a reflection on their personality, not the person taking the bet....Just be glad you're not them. Anyone flying off the handle to a person on a phone they've never met has deeper issues than impatience

Rookies
06-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Grits,

I think she only used the phrase b/c she was called that, on the phone. At least that was how I interpreted her post. I could be wrong

I think that's probably a correct interpretation; however she could have eliminated the word entirely as the message was already clear.

As someone in an identical situation, I second Grits.

Wagergirl
06-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Please, if possible, can you use another term. My son is Down Syndrome, he's "special needs", the proper term used today. Though grown, he's my only child. Its hurtful to read anyone being called a "retard", when through no choice of his or her own, one is born mentally handicapped. Its equally so to read "the normal population" called the same.

I don't mean to be a problem, but I wouldn't be the mother I am, if I didn't ask. I hope you'll understand. This is the second time this one's been rolled out this week. :(

I was just quoting what the person on the phone called me. I agree Grits, i would never use that word to describe anyone. I also have a son who is special needs. I am sorry if it offended you, that was my point though, that those words do not need to be used.

Rookies is right. I should have also used cartoon cussing to include that word. Again, I am sincerely sorry for offending. :(

Ocala Mike
06-15-2012, 11:50 PM
This is wandering away from the thread, I know, but the discussion about using the word "retard" brought something to mind for me. I heard the word "cripple" used today to describe an Alzheimer's patient confined to a wheelchair and needing constant supervision by his caretaker. Interestingly enough, the person who used the word WAS the caretaker, a loving family member.

I was about to say something to the effect that the word "cripple" went out with FDR, I thought, and another term such as "mobility-impaired" or just "disabled" is now used. Has anyone heard the word "cripple" used much lately? Would I have been out of line to criticize the person who is, by all accounts, providing excellent care for the patient (who happens to be her father). Just thought it sounded so over the top and wrong.

KingChas
06-16-2012, 12:16 AM
This is great. I like hearing the other side :lol:
Here's another side.
This whole thread is the reason I use the machines.
Don't want to see tellers replaced but I don't need the BS.
Most players I know with the most money in their accounts do not need these problems nor do they take large cash wagers to the windows.
I screw up with the machine,(SAM) it's on me,
now cashing out and tipping is another story. ;)

If you are talking about phone wagering, here in PA., that is virtually obsolete,with an internet connection and betting account.

Grits
06-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Wager, it doesn't offend, what it does is harm. I'm seasoned with 35 years of experience in dealing with incidents like this one and I handle it with grace for the most part. Still, its like a knife, its a slur towards one's child and it causes harm for the reason I stated.

We'll be fine, here at PA. We'll be fine. This is behind us. ;)

One's not paid to be called such names as you were while taking wagers. Me? I'd hang up in their face, right after I softly told them, "honey, let me show you how one gets shut out!"

Elka, thank you for your kindness and thanks to others here that stop, that think, that choose another way to express themselves, or their point. Rookies and I are always together on these things. Its our children.

As for you, Mr.Meunuco, I'm not ever more relaxed than when addressing special needs. It, and how to deal with the many aspects of it, are what I KNOW and what I DO better than anything else. And this includes, tonight, and earlier this week, when I asked you to "please, use another phrase." You wanna keep following my posts, and smarting off, you do so. At the same time, I'll keep in mind, comedian Ron White's best line, ever. It describes your dilemma.

"You Can't Fix Stupid."

Grits
06-16-2012, 01:05 AM
This is wandering away from the thread, I know, but the discussion about using the word "retard" brought something to mind for me. I heard the word "cripple" used today to describe an Alzheimer's patient confined to a wheelchair and needing constant supervision by his caretaker. Interestingly enough, the person who used the word WAS the caretaker, a loving family member.

I was about to say something to the effect that the word "cripple" went out with FDR, I thought, and another term such as "mobility-impaired" or just "disabled" is now used. Has anyone heard the word "cripple" used much lately? Would I have been out of line to criticize the person who is, by all accounts, providing excellent care for the patient (who happens to be her father). Just thought it sounded so over the top and wrong.

OMike, in answer to your question. No, I haven't heard this word used in many, many years. For the family member, though, the caregiver, who is taking care of that patient? No, I wouldn't have said a word to correct him or her. That daughter is doing the most difficult work of her life. The stress that she is under is monumental. My parents are in their mid 80s, my dad has this disease. He's still doing some things for himself. He dresses like he just stepped out of GQ every morning. But, he can't find the milk in the refrigerator, put sugar in his coffee, or remember anything said to him longer than 5 to 10 minutes. He spends most of his time in his rocking chair. Today, we spent the afternoon at Duke seeing his doctors. I hate this disease. You watch your loved one die one day at a time. Its heartbreaking. And crippling, too.

Wagergirl
06-16-2012, 11:09 AM
If you are talking about phone wagering, here in PA., that is virtually obsolete,with an internet connection and betting account.

I actually work for one of those "internet connection/betting account" places. we average about 8k calls a day. I am very thankful that it is not completely obsolete. :)

Shelby
06-16-2012, 02:31 PM

Grits, I don't think I've ever seen you "be a problem". I have the utmost respect for you.

Next door to our plant (we own a lumber company) lived a special needs man named Roy for many years. He had the mentality of a 15-16 year old. He made his own meals etc. and was fine living on his own --with us checking on him frequently. He was known all over our small town and everyone kind of took care of him in their own ways. He dubbed himself the "night security guard" of our business--and he did a good job. Foiled some would-be robbers!

He called me, and the other girls at work, his "sisters". 'Course, at times he demoted one of us if he got cross-ways --often after one of us insisted he have a shower before eating lunch with us lol. He helped his dad during the day and his dad unclogged toilets etc. for a living. In some ways, Roy was actually a bit smarter than his father. I was floored the day I found out that Roy wrote up the invoices that they sent out.

Christmas was always a big deal. Around September he would begin making his list for us. Page after page of cut-out pictures from various catalogs glued with a glue stick. In order of importance lol. All of us at work would pool together to get him as much as we could. I think his favorite gift was a keyboard. It drove us nuts lol.

Grocery shopping with him was....interesting... My husband always watched the fliers and when something went on sale that Roy liked, we'd load up and make a shopping trip. We would get two carts. Roy pushed his own. It always came back filled with two liters of Coke, Ding-Dongs, Twinkies and Hostess pies. Ours was filled with frozen meals and healthy things to try to balance all that junk out lol.

I have a zillion stories I could tell...I don't think I've ever shared all of this with anyone and I'm sorry to have injected myself, but I couldn't help but share this one story:

My husband and I were discussing the movie "Titanic" and debating on whether to go see it when it hit the theater. Roy was listening and he rolled his eyes and said "Why in the hell would you want to go see that? You know how it ends!"

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life.

Roy passed away a few years ago. He broke his ankle and we took him to the hospital. He ended up staying a couple of days just to make sure everything was alright. When he got home, he was sitting on the couch and stood up and then fell to the floor. A blood clot had formed due to the ankle and it went straight to his heart.

I miss Roy every day--even though at times he made me crazy. I hope he knows how special to us he was. :(

Wagergirl
06-16-2012, 02:40 PM
I agree. Grit is never a problem. :-)

Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry for your loss.

Dave Schwartz
06-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Shelby,

What a wonderful story!

Thanks.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

KingChas
06-17-2012, 06:25 AM
I actually work for one of those "internet connection/betting account" places. we average about 8k calls a day. I am very thankful that it is not completely obsolete. :)

Well then you are kinda in a catch-22 situation............ :D

Grits
06-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Shelby wrote:

I have a zillion stories I could tell...I don't think I've ever shared all of this with anyone and I'm sorry to have injected myself, but I couldn't help but share this one story:

Shelby, I would've missed much had you not injected yourself into this thread. You're a born storyteller. This one is a joy to read.

Most often we think people come in and out of our lives by chance, and many do. But not always.

Now and then, they come for a reason. Sometime that reason is revealed to us early on. Other times, its not. It may take years for us to realize the impact a person has had on our life.

Roy was family. You and your husband felt it, and so did he. He was blessed beyond measure. I'm grateful to you for sharing such a wonderful story.