View Full Version : I’m a Mormon, Not a Christian

TJDave
06-14-2012, 04:47 PM
New York Times

Op-Ed Contributor
I’m a Mormon, Not a Christian
By DAVID V. MASON
Published: June 12, 2012

THANKS to Mitt Romney, a Broadway hit and a relentless marketing campaign by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Mormons seem to be everywhere.

This is the so-called Mormon Moment: a strange convergence of developments offering Mormons hope that the Christian nation that persecuted, banished or killed them in the 19th century will finally love them as fellow Christians.

Read the rest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/opinion/im-a-mormon-not-a-christian.html

Overlay
06-14-2012, 06:26 PM
For the curious, the dispute can be reduced to Jesus. Mormons assert that because they believe Jesus is divine, they are Christians by default. Christians respond that because Mormons don’t believe — in accordance with the Nicene Creed promulgated in the fourth century — that Jesus is also the Father and the Holy Spirit, the Jesus that Mormons have in mind is someone else altogether. The Mormon reaction is incredulity. The Christian retort is exasperation. Rinse and repeat.
It would help to be able to have a dialogue with Mr. Mason about his (and/or Mormonism's) understanding of the Trinity, as compared to that of the Nicene Creed, which (at least in my opinion) Mr. Mason has misinterpreted above.

Tom
06-15-2012, 08:04 AM
And this fixes the economy how?