PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sandusky

horses4courses
06-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Reports say that the prosecution may have their case presented as soon as Friday. The testimony has been emotional and graphic.
The defense, obviously, has a very tough task ahead of them.

Do you think Sandusky has any chance of avoiding a lengthy prison term?

Grits
06-13-2012, 09:59 PM
If this man does not go to jail for the rest of his life, I'm sorry, there is no justice in this world. None.

Tom
06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
They should take a rock and bash his stinking head in over and over.
There is nothing worse than what this POS is. He is entitled to nothing but pain the rest of is miserable life.

When he goes to prison I hope he is naked and has his wrists handcuffed to his ankles. May he suffer every day he has left - and hopefully, a shank will find him in prison - in an appropriate place.

They should even lock up his lawyer for defending this scum bag.

bigmack
06-13-2012, 10:13 PM
You're gonna tell me the wife had no clue? BS.

Lock her up as well.

Grits
06-13-2012, 10:20 PM

Lock her up as well.

I wasn't gonna add that. But as we know, I've felt from day one there was no way on earth this woman didn't know this. I have as much loathing for her as I have for him.

..... I feel like Tom. I hope he get his--all he can handle--in prison, until it kills him. (Don't care how horrible I sound, I hope this.)

Greyfox
06-13-2012, 10:57 PM

Lock her up as well.

:ThmbUp: From the evidence so far.....what planet was she on?

He's
http://www.coldtoast.com/images/toastSliceWhiteBkgd.jpg

horses4courses
06-13-2012, 11:17 PM
I can't disagree with anyone's wishes for this guy.
Hopefully, he gets all that's coming to him.

In addition to that, I want to see everyone, EVERYONE , at Penn State held responsible for shielding him.
If it puts their athletic program in the sh**ter for the next 20 years, who gives a rats? Football is just football....this is life.

newtothegame
06-13-2012, 11:20 PM
NO....he should NOT get life in prison.
That's way too good for him in my opinion.
Now I know there are those opposed to the ultimate penalty. And there will be some who say life in prison and he will "get" what he deserves.
But, we should not pay one extra dime as tax payers for this scums life.
One time fee and he should get DEATH on the next available chair, gurney, chamber...whichever it may be!

pktruckdriver
06-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Look what happened to OJ, yes he can avoid jail time, I hope not , but yes he very well could.

Patrick

ElKabong
06-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Life sentence, or death penalty. No way this POS gets off free

pktruckdriver
06-13-2012, 11:27 PM
I can't disagree with anyone's wishes for this guy.
Hopefully, he gets all that's coming to him.

In addition to that, I want to see everyone, EVERYONE , at Penn State held responsible for shielding him.
If it puts their athletic program in the sh**ter for the next 20 years, who gives a rats? Football is just football....this is life.

This will not happen, look at the Catholic Church, who is ever really held responsible, same here with Penn State Officals , the local Police, even the Parents all kept quiet and would it have happen sooner if Joe Pa retired years ago, not sure, but his being there seemed to make sure it was attempted to be kept quiet, thank God it did get out.

May he rest in hell (not Joe Pa ) Jerry

patrick

Steve 'StatMan'
06-13-2012, 11:28 PM
I think he's toast. However, I thought Michael Jackson and R. Kelly were really guilty but they got got off in different technical ways on the main parts of the case as presented by prosecuters - although their reputations were damaged and people saw through the failed cases but know the real story - just couldn't get a legal conviction in court on what they prosecution based their cases on.

Now that they're starting to name the act's he coerced them to do, he's guilty as hell. More than just a touchy/feely creep - looking more and more like the serious pedifile/rapist.

ArlJim78
06-14-2012, 07:42 AM
I don't think the "it was just some horseplay in the shower " defense is going to convince many jurors of his innocence.

horses4courses
06-14-2012, 08:39 AM
May he rest in hell (not Joe Pa ) Jerry

patrick

We differ there.
I have a problem with Paterno in all of this.
He's just one part of the problem, but a big one.
Football took precendence over a heinous crime, and that's wrong.
Too many people, Paterno included, turned a blind eye and hoped it would go away. They are, in my opinion, nearly as guilty as Sandusky.

Sandusky was banned from the Penn St campus for years before all of this blew up.
How, in the name of hell, can you take steps against a person to that degree, and not involve the police?
More heads should roll........

Ask yourself this question:
Would you cover for someone at work in a similar situation?
I very much doubt it.....

melman
06-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Horses--I have a slightly different take on this than you. IMO it is NOT football it's MONEY. That's the real problem. Football was just a means to cash and PSU football pays for all the other sports. Same thing with almost any NCAA school. I would like to see Sandusky go to jail for the rest of his life, however if OJ can get off maybe even Sandusky can too. Since some people have such ill will towards Paterno, how about the ex-prisident of PSU Graham Spaner?? That great "educator". Jail term for him also? Plus horses this brings up another interesting point. Among FAR TO MANY people today the thinking is "never snitch". Never help "the man" or the police. No matter the crime. Example---people KNOW who the drug lord is and who is running the junk, but do they help police? No way it's "never rat out" anyone. This dispite the fact that drug kingpins take people children, yes very young children and turn them into "lookouts" for drug buys. If they or the parents do not go along they get them hooked on the drugs. And still "don't ever drop a dime" seems to be the "cool" thing to believe.

Tom
06-14-2012, 09:44 AM
This slimeball who saw the shower incident and did nothing - that spineless coward.

He needs some jail time as well.
And a good beating.

HUSKER55
06-14-2012, 09:46 AM
There are a lot of people involved in that cover up. There is no-way this "is just new". What is happening at pen state and that community is no different than "small town bull shit USA". Those kids were considered expendible.

Think about it. There is a sex club for everyone. Wife swaps, bi-couples, kiddie sex and any fetish you can think of.

These sex clubs are extensive and run deep in some communities. Sex and its perversions are all acceptable ,"in certain clubs".

What makes you think Sandusky is any different from the people he lived with? Nobody is that good. They all knew and they did not care. Why do you think that is?

That community might convict Sandusky now that Joe Paterno is dead, but don't bet on it, and don't bet these type of clubs in that community will stop anytime soon.

Just because I am curious, how many of you think Sandusky operated alone?

melman
06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Tom--Interesting points. How about this, you see a drug deal going down. You see young children in the area being used as lookouts. If you do not make a call to the police should you be locked up? or given a good beating? And it's not just the kids being used as lookouts. Think of all the young people buying this junk, getting hooked and ruining there lives. I think Huskers makes good points also as many people just do not WANT to know. Or when it comes to sex with children or kids on drugs "it's not my problem". Plus it's my understanding that the laws on what a person has to report can be quite tricky. Vary from state to state. I know that after what happened at PSU many new reporting laws were put in place in my state of Penna. My next door neighbor used to be the chief of police of my town. He told me of a couple of rape cases where they knew there were people in the area of the rape. At the time of the rape. Which happened in a public park. No one came forward.

Grits
06-14-2012, 11:41 AM
I think Huskers makes good points also as many people just do not WANT to know. Or when it comes to sex with children or kids on drugs "it's not my problem".

Its not???? Watch me make it mine. :ThmbUp:

Melman and Huskers, I don't agree with either of you. I believe that you're both mistaken. You're making this about something that its not. Something it never was. So why go there? Why even compare this to other crimes?

It wasn't a drug deal down the block. It wasn't couples swapping partners. It wasn't couples doing one another in one happy bed. Forget it. It was none of this. And you know it.

No one stands by and sees, or watches, a grown adult male do this to small boys. NO ONE remains quiet, NO ONE that is human, says and does nothing. NO ONE. Male or female including a damn spouse.

Huskers, all of your "club thinking"? ..... I'm no prude, I've been around the block a few decades, but the clubs have had no appeal. I believe I'm still in what may qualify as "the norm". Since you're curious, though, so am I. Do you have children, particularly a son?

horses4courses
06-14-2012, 11:55 AM
NO ONE remains quiet, NO ONE that is human, says and does nothing. NO ONE.

Unfortunately, they did at Penn State. :ThmbDown:

boxcar
06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
There are a lot of people involved in that cover up. There is no-way this "is just new". What is happening at pen state and that community is no different than "small town bull shit USA". Those kids were considered expendible.

Think about it. There is a sex club for everyone. Wife swaps, bi-couples, kiddie sex and any fetish you can think of.

These sex clubs are extensive and run deep in some communities. Sex and its perversions are all acceptable ,"in certain clubs".

What makes you think Sandusky is any different from the people he lived with? Nobody is that good. They all knew and they did not care. Why do you think that is?

That community might convict Sandusky now that Joe Paterno is dead, but don't bet on it, and don't bet these type of clubs in that community will stop anytime soon.

Just because I am curious, how many of you think Sandusky operated alone?

I would suggest that those "sex clubs" are not peculiar to just certain small towns or institutions. Just ask Planned Parenthood or schools that teach sex ed to young kids, etc. Perhaps the more perverted versions of sex in the good ol' U.S.A. are all part of the same malignant cancer of what so many in this society consider to be normal, healthy sexual liberation -- or revolution.

Maybe just a little bit of leaven really does leaven the entire loaf, or in today's vernacular -- the ripple effect.

Boxcar

StormChaser
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
I hope he get's what is coming to him.

But I think that anyone who knew anything about this should have to do time as well. You don't keep this quiet.

Do I think that is enough?? NO I think they should cut their penis off. and tack it to the wall so they can watch it shrivel and rot.

I'd ask that they put him in a cell with "BUBBA" but he is such a deviant.. he might like that too.

melman
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Grits---You did not understand my post. I agree with you 100% but let's be real. There is a large group of people who would not "rat out" No matter the crime. Here in Philly we had a Hall of Fame sportswriter who turned out to be a child molestor. ALL of his friends in the newspaper industry said they had no idea. Dispite spending a lot of time with him. That case now gets no attention or mention in the media. Again for me I WOULD make it my problem. However there are many who say "it's not my problem",

Grits
06-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Storm Chaser, I hope someone has supported you. :(

horses4courses
06-14-2012, 12:22 PM
I would suggest that those "sex clubs" are not peculiar to just certain small towns or institutions. Just ask Planned Parenthood or schools that teach sex ed to young kids, etc.
Boxcar

Oh, brother......can't pass up the slightest opportunity for a spin, can you?
No matter what the circumstances are. :mad:

StormChaser
06-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Thank you Grits.

We had an amazing support system. It has been a long road the last 5 years. But we are pulling out of it.

I would say that people can really not know what is happening around them. They can know someone for years but not really know "them" and children who are being abused will hide it.. they are ashamed and frightened.

But in Sandusky's case, people KNEW and did nothing. In my book that makes them just as bad.

Grits
06-14-2012, 12:25 PM
All any of us can do, Melman, is in some wild way, try (and I have a difficult time and always will) to feel for the individual that has so little courage that they would remain quiet.

I should be quiet, too, now. This stuff devastates me. Hell wouldn't hold me.

Grits---You did not understand my post. I agree with you 100% but let's be real. There is a large group of people who would not "rat out" No matter the crime. Here in Philly we had a Hall of Fame sportswriter who turned out to be a child molestor. ALL of his friends in the newspaper industry said they had no idea. Dispite spending a lot of time with him. That case now gets no attention or mention in the media. Again for me I WOULD make it my problem. However there are many who say "it's not my problem",

melman
06-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Grits--Again I agree with you. But it's not just a matter of lack of courage or had no idea. Among too LARGE a group it's a "culture" thing. Never rat out never help "the man". I find that very sad but is real. Far to real.

boxcar
06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Oh, brother......can't pass up the slightest opportunity for a spin, can you?
No matter what the circumstances are. :mad:

What can I tell you except the bible covers all of life's circumstances -- much to your chagrin, I see.

For a liberal, you are so intolerant of diverse views, aren't you? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Boxcar
P.S. Watch your blood pressure. You look a little red in the face.

Tom
06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
If you know that children are being abused and do not report it, you are as damn guilty as the one doing it and should share their punishment.
Everyone of us has a God-mandated responsibility to protect our kids.
Any one who fails to do so , yes, needs a good beating. If people are scared to do the right thing, then give them a damn good reason to be more scared not to.

melman
06-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Tom--Don't think for a second I do not agree with you. But what I have pointed out is real. And goes far beyond scared or lack of courage. No matter the crime some people still insist "don't be a snitch" "don't rat out" "NEVER help "the man". It's in many parts of Philly. Don't believe me? Ask cj's Dad about it in Baltimore. IMO we have far to large a minority of people who think that way. I am NOT one of them. Plus as Storm Chaser said there is a difference. If you SEE a child molestor in the act or KNOW he is one from first hand knowledge that's one thing. But even the abused victims have kept quiet on the child molestor. For far to long. Where it does get tricky is when you do NOT know for sure. Or hear that "so and so" is a molestor. But yes the person who sees the act first hand MUST come forward.

Dave Schwartz
06-14-2012, 02:09 PM
I would like to tell you guys a true story that actually happened to me.

About 25 years ago, I was at a Sunday BBQ when a friend's 14yr old daughter comes up to me and begins chatting. I barely knew her, but she seemed to need to talk so I sat down at a picnic table in the middle of the festivities and listened to her.

Ultimately, the conversation got around to her being suicidal. I located the mother and, in a calm fashion explained what her daughter had said to me. Her response was very matter-of-fact, "Oh yeah, she says that stuff all the time. Just forget about it."

Well, I couldn't. I mean, here is a 14 year old girl who is contemplating suicide. What if she does? How will I sleep at night?

About 3 days later I called the parents and asked to meet with them. I told them the situation; that I was not sleeping well because I felt they needed to take it more seriously. "What would you have us do?"

I asked if she had seen a counselor and they said no. The whole thing felt a little hinky. I pressed them a third time, asking "Why do you not want to send her to a counselor?" They told me it was none of my business.

All I can say is that it felt like SOMETHING had to be done. Two weeks later I went to her school and spoke with the principle about a "mystery student." Imagine my surprise when, after playing a few word games with initials and such, it became obvious that they knew who I was speaking about.

Seems she had never actually used the "S" word but was a very troubled girl. At this point they created an official record of our conversation - which was very one-sided (me). They are required by law to contact the necessary authorities (Child Protective Services, etc.).

I also called the parents and told them what I had done. They complained that I had probably ruined their lives. I apologized but said that I had no choice but to do what I felt was right.

The girl has a counseling session. 10 minutes into the session, she says, "My step-father has been molesting me since I was 9. We take showers together." Two hours later he is arrested.

This story does not have a happy ending (and has gone on long enough). Here are the high points of the future:

* Turns out the father had been arrested when she was 9 for molesting her. He pled guilty and received counseling, along with an order to never live with the child again. That was in California.

* After 6 months of separation, they moved to Nevada and continued to live together as a family. BTW, there is a second, younger daughter.

* This time the court went after him with a vengeance. Husband and wife lost everything they owned defending him. Meanwhile, they sent the girl to live with her grandmother in Ohio.

* The girl took a huge emotional hit because (again) her mother chose her molester over her.

* At Age 16 she recanted the entire story, asking if she could please come home. The parents told me, "See? We told you so. We hate you."

* At age 18 the girl committed suicide.

The result of the story is that it I really do not know if she was being molested or not. If her story is false, I am sorry that they lost everything.

My point to all of this is that we all must do what is required of us, even if it is difficult.

MY part of that was to force action; to not allow a cry for help to go unheard.

The parents had a part, too. They could have gotten that girl the help she needed long before I came into the picture.

I believe that the girl was molested, but even if she wasn't I sleep just fine with this.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

StormChaser
06-14-2012, 02:49 PM
[

The result of the story is that it I really do not know if she was being molested or not. If her story is false, I am sorry that they lost everything.

My point to all of this is that we all must do what is required of us, even if it is difficult.

The parents had a part, too. They could have gotten that girl the help she needed long before I came into the picture.

I believe that the girl was molested, but even if she wasn't I sleep just fine with this.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz[/QUOTE]

You did what was right. I believe that if she was not being molested, something was still happening that she needed help with. The sad thing about children who are molested, they think it's their fault. They don't want to break up a "happy home" they just want it fixed. Suicide is always serious, never ever ever should a parent not take that as a serious threat.

boxcar
06-14-2012, 03:12 PM
I would like to tell you guys a true story that actually happened to me.

About 25 years ago, I was at a Sunday BBQ when a friend's 14yr old daughter comes up to me and begins chatting. I barely knew her, but she seemed to need to talk so I sat down at a picnic table in the middle of the festivities and listened to her.

Ultimately, the conversation got around to her being suicidal. I located the mother and, in a calm fashion explained what her daughter had said to me. Her response was very matter-of-fact, "Oh yeah, she says that stuff all the time. Just forget about it."

Well, I couldn't. I mean, here is a 14 year old girl who is contemplating suicide. What if she does? How will I sleep at night?

About 3 days later I called the parents and asked to meet with them. I told them the situation; that I was not sleeping well because I felt they needed to take it more seriously. "What would you have us do?"

I asked if she had seen a counselor and they said no. The whole thing felt a little hinky. I pressed them a third time, asking "Why do you not want to send her to a counselor?" They told me it was none of my business.

All I can say is that it felt like SOMETHING had to be done. Two weeks later I went to her school and spoke with the principle about a "mystery student." Imagine my surprise when, after playing a few word games with initials and such, it became obvious that they knew who I was speaking about.

Seems she had never actually used the "S" word but was a very troubled girl. At this point they created an official record of our conversation - which was very one-sided (me). They are required by law to contact the necessary authorities (Child Protective Services, etc.).

I also called the parents and told them what I had done. They complained that I had probably ruined their lives. I apologized but said that I had no choice but to do what I felt was right.

The girl has a counseling session. 10 minutes into the session, she says, "My step-father has been molesting me since I was 9. We take showers together." Two hours later he is arrested.

This story does not have a happy ending (and has gone on long enough). Here are the high points of the future:

* Turns out the father had been arrested when she was 9 for molesting her. He pled guilty and received counseling, along with an order to never live with the child again. That was in California.

* After 6 months of separation, they moved to Nevada and continued to live together as a family. BTW, there is a second, younger daughter.

* This time the court went after him with a vengeance. Husband and wife lost everything they owned defending him. Meanwhile, they sent the girl to live with her grandmother in Ohio.

* The girl took a huge emotional hit because (again) her mother chose her molester over her.

* At Age 16 she recanted the entire story, asking if she could please come home. The parents told me, "See? We told you so. We hate you."

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Kudos to you, David. You did the right thing according to 1Thess 5:14 and Ps 41:1. :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

HUSKER55
06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
GRITS, just so we are clear on this, YOU BELIEVE that Sandusky did this all on his own and that no one suspected him of anything what-so-ever from the very beginning?

Grits, I DO NOT BELIEVE Sandusky is that smart. I BELIEVE a whole lot of people enabled him.

But, in your defense, sometimes I am wrong. I just don't think I am on this.

As always, I enjoy your input.

Tom
06-14-2012, 03:31 PM
melman, I know you are just reporting it, not supporting it!

Valuist
06-14-2012, 03:32 PM
GRITS, just so we are clear on this, YOU BELIEVE that Sandusky did this all on his own and that no one suspected him of anything what-so-ever from the very beginning?

Grits, I DO NOT BELIEVE Sandusky is that smart. I BELIEVE a whole lot of people enabled him.

As far I'm concerned, there's only one enabler that mattered: Paterno. He was God there. Whatever he said went. He chose football over doing the right thing. And to think those a$$holes at Penn State may name a stadium after him. Forget all the other bull$hit. Paterno could've done the right thing. Instead he showed what a cowardless asswipe he was. Good thing he's dead.

Grits
06-14-2012, 04:12 PM

Husker, don't put words in my mouth, please. I've said nothing of the kind. You are asking a question that has already been answered by firings and investigation. Did these people turn their backs, yes. This was not the greater part of your post.

The part of your post that concerned me is the notion that you imply more people are taking part in "sport sex", "criminal sex", or sex outside of what usually dictates normal relationships, etc. I'm sorry, I ain't buying it.

I'm not convinced that State College, Pa. has any larger number of issues than any other community as far as what is seen as moral or immoral.

What they did have? A bunch of men who shouldn't have been placed in charge of a city's garbage collection much less a university academic program and sports program. Including the late Joe Paterno and law enforcement that was notified as well.

AGAIN. Do you have children?

PhantomOnTour
06-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I predict the shortest jury deliberation ever...about as long as it takes them to vote once...let's say 5mins...GUILTY

JustRalph
06-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Who is Jerry Sandusky? And why is he Bread?

just a little joke

iceknight
06-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Dave Schwartz. said: The result of the story is that it I really do not know if she was being molested or not. If her story is false, I am sorry that they lost everything. You did the right thing and kudos to you for that. You also mentioned that in this case, in California, the stepfather had pled guilty, so the probability of it having restarted was quite high. It's too sad that the girl eventually committed suicide. But you still gave her an opportunity to try to escape that hell in the name of a family.

Coming to the Sandusky case, if you want to read the comments by the local population check out the Centre Daily Times pages and comments. (CDT (http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/15/3229857/judge-jurors-should-disregard.html)). Most of the local community is still blindly holding on to the notion that Joe Paterno did everything right and he is unfairly being vilified etc. Denial.

iceknight
06-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Who is Jerry Sandusky? And why is he Bread?
Check out http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-november-15-2011/jerry-sandusky-phone-interview

since you like humor! (old)

Dave Schwartz
06-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Coming to the Sandusky case, if you want to read the comments by the local population check out the Centre Daily Times pages and comments. (CDT). Most of the local community is still blindly holding on to the notion that Joe Paterno did everything right and he is unfairly being vilified etc. Denial.

Ice,

That was kind of my point: There is a pretty clear right-and-wrong in these situations when it comes to discovery. IMHO, the only way to come down on the side of "right" is to ALWAYS work to protect the weaker, younger, more innocent.

How many children were hurt through these actions? How many of the abused went on to be abusers themselves? How many of those abusers will go on to perpetuate the abuse into another generation?

As I understand it, educators have a public responsibility to report possible crimes of this nature when there is any report made. To not do that is to become complicit in the crime. Again, as I understand it, that is the law.

There is no way to whitewash this with decades of wins or a lifetime of service to a school. IMHO, the final truth made JP's life a fraud.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Dahoss9698
06-15-2012, 12:12 PM
I would suggest that those "sex clubs" are not peculiar to just certain small towns or institutions. Just ask Planned Parenthood or schools that teach sex ed to young kids, etc. Perhaps the more perverted versions of sex in the good ol' U.S.A. are all part of the same malignant cancer of what so many in this society consider to be normal, healthy sexual liberation -- or revolution.

Maybe just a little bit of leaven really does leaven the entire loaf, or in today's vernacular -- the ripple effect.

Boxcar

This post is why you are so great. So afraid and so clueless.

Dave Schwartz
06-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Ice Knight,

Just watched the Daily Show clip. Funny. And accurate.

iceknight
06-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Ice Knight,
Just watched the Daily Show clip. Funny. And accurate. Several times John Stewart gets to the gist of the matter fast. Anyhow, this Sandusky case is hard to tell how it will play out when twelve people get to decide the fate of 51 counts of abuse. I can't even tell if they would have unananimous agreement on even one of the charges. That is the tough part.

Coming to a slightly nuanced point, the news site (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57456342-504083/jerry-sandusky-trial-dottie-sandusky-takes-the-stand/) reports this from the trial:

"One witness has already testified (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57453538-504083/jerry-sandusky-trial-victim-9-testifies-he-was-raped-recalls-screaming-in-coachs-basement/?tag=mncol;lst;1) that he was attacked the Sanduskys' basement and once tried to cry out for help when she was upstairs but that she couldn't hear because the basement was soundproof. But Dottie Sandusky said that the basement where the boys would stay wasn't soundproof. " Is it harder to prove that a place is not sound proof or is it harder to prove it is soundproof (even at the maximum limit of human decibel shouting? If the witness testimony on soundproofness (or lack thereof) can be challenged - can that be considered perjury?

HUSKER55
06-20-2012, 05:51 PM
on one of the talk shows today the topic came up. It seems 7 jurors are from penn state and 2 are alumni.

is that true?

Robert Fischer
06-21-2012, 04:58 PM
article says one of the adopted children was a victim:

Not fair to judge him, but he really should have testified. Would have been a major part of the case IMO.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/attorney_for_jerry_sanduskys_a.html

iceknight
06-21-2012, 07:59 PM
article says one of the adopted children was a victim:

Not fair to judge him, but he really should have testified. Would have been a major part of the case IMO.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/attorney_for_jerry_sanduskys_a.htmli think the prosecution said they would have called him ONLY if Jerry Sandusky himself to the stand on the other side earlier. Since that did not happen, they decided not to call upon the adopted son.

Anyhow, if you want to read about the immune sports culture at penn state, this pdf tells a LOT.... (look out esp for the part where they talk about Joe Paterno's comments in 1991.

http://now.org/press/11-11/PANOW_PSUletter_111211.pdf

Rookies
06-21-2012, 09:16 PM
I voted in favour of the lengthy prison term, of course.

But, that's not my real choice; the Death Penalty is...:mad:

Rookies
06-21-2012, 09:21 PM
But in Sandusky's case, people KNEW and did nothing. In my book that makes them just as bad.

I don't believe that; but I sure as hell don't think they're far behind in the pecking order and I do believe they should ALL be charged right up to the PSU Pres.

I don't believe for a millisecond that they all, incuding Jo Pa, didn't know about it for years.

DISGUSTING.:ThmbDown:

HUSKER55
06-21-2012, 10:08 PM
after 7 hours and no verdict. the longer this drags out the better his chances for acquittal. Does anyone have an idea of how long is normal in a trial like this?

Beachbabe
06-21-2012, 10:29 PM
after 7 hours and no verdict. the longer this drags out the better his chances for acquittal. Does anyone have an idea of how long is normal in a trial like this?

In Phila. right now, the jury in the case against two priests for child abuse & cover-up have been out for over a week. They say they're hopelessly deadlocked, but the judge has ordered them to make every effort to come to a decision. It probably wont happen and it will be declared a mis-trial.

Anyway, remember the O.J. trial. Just about everyone thought he was guilty & when the jury came back with a verdict in very short order, people were positive of it.
Never over-estimate the intelligence and/or fairness of a jury.

tzipi
06-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Who voted YES!? :bang:

No defense could save this animal.

Shelby
06-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Nothing surprises me after the Casey Anthony verdict.

I followed that case from day one and I could not have been more shocked when the jury spoke.

tzipi
06-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Nothing surprises me after the Casey Anthony verdict.

I followed that case from day one and I could not have been more shocked when the jury spoke.

I will not watch or bet horses for 10 years straight if that jury votes Sandusky innocent :D . That's how sure I am that they know what to do here in this case. Nobody dropped the ball in the prosecution here, like other cases. So I'm 110% sure Sanduscky is gone forever.

Track Collector
06-21-2012, 11:40 PM

You have an unrealistic expectation of how the system is supposed to work.

The large number of counts will ensure that a quick decision is not forthcoming. As is proper and right, each and every one of the counts must be discussed in detail and voted on separately.

We all want justice, but it should not be at the expense of hasty and half-hearted deliberations.

TJDave
06-22-2012, 12:10 AM
We all want justice, but it should not be at the expense of hasty and half-hearted deliberations.

Justice is far to important to be decided by amateurs. The jury system is outmoded and should be replaced. By what, I have no idea.

cj's dad
06-22-2012, 08:09 AM
One of his seven adopted children, Matt, has now accused him of sexual abuse.

Shelby
06-22-2012, 09:47 AM

I wondered how long it would take before this happened.

cj's dad
06-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Upon further review, I smell a rat here. The jury is sequestered. If news of this newest accusation reaches one juror (purposely somehow) the defense team would ask for and be granted a mistrial. Hmmm.....

horses4courses
06-22-2012, 09:37 PM
NBC local news reporting a verdict upcoming within 30 minutes

mostpost
06-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Guilty on 45 of 48 counts.

Tom
06-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Now HE can be the boy the rest of his miserable life.
No soap n a rope for him.

Burn in HELL, cretin, but not before you suffer long and hard here on earth.

Long, and hard.

mostpost
06-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Now HE can be the boy the rest of his miserable life.
No soap n a rope for him.

Burn in HELL, cretin, but not before you suffer long and hard here on earth.

Long, and hard.

Child molesters are not regarded fondly by the other inmates. I think your wish will be granted.

iwearpurple
06-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Child molesters are not regarded fondly by the other inmates. I think your wish will be granted.

According to news report, this pervert will be kept in solitary confinement.

Too bad

horses4courses
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
According to news report, this pervert will be kept in solitary confinement.

Too bad

In local jail - yes. He'll be on suicide watch.
When he's booked into state prison, he'll just be another inmate.
He deserves to suffer the rest of his life.

I really hope Penn State do the right thing here.
They need to rid themselves of anyone responsible for not blowing the whistle on this monster over the years.

Greyfox
06-23-2012, 10:13 AM
When he's booked into state prison, he'll just be another inmate.

Really?
I would think that his life would be at high risk in a regular prison population.

Tom
06-23-2012, 10:52 AM
That is a good thing.
He should have thought of that before he did what he did.

Wagergirl
06-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Really?
I would think that his life would be at high risk in a regular prison population.

You would think that, however in some states, they actually have their own building to keep them out of regular prison population. Sad but true.

Though I don't think Penn does.

Rookies
06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
One day, I'll post the Rookies' Criminal Code with what I believe are the approriate punishments that justice should meet out.

With the Sanduskys & pedophile priests and coaches of the world, sexual abuse of the vulnerable, including small children, the elderly and those with special needs equals automatic death penalty.

Because these are some of the most heinous crimes performed, I prefer the Muslim method of meeting out the punishment. That is, following an air tight case and conviction, a date and time is set for public guillotining in the public square.

On a lower level, there was this recent story from your neck of the woods- Tommy. While, the impetus for a nice ending for the victim was initiated by a Canadian, what should happen to those little bastards that caused it?

Hmmm...

Immediate expulsion from the school district would be a start; so that their parents would be forced to move to take up residency in another town. I have some other suggestions... but...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/world-22186928/bullied-bus-monitor-29755955.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Fworld-22186928%252Fisrael-gaza-border-violence-escalates-29769321.html

Tom
06-23-2012, 11:25 AM
On a lower level, there was this recent story from your neck of the woods- Tommy. While, the impetus for a nice ending for the victim was initiated by a Canadian, what should happen to those little bastards that caused it?

I assume you mean the bus driver, or monitor?
First of all, the kids should be banned from that bus forever - walk, you little piss ants.
Then, take them out back of the bus garage and wail the ever-loving crap out their bottoms - shame the misfits.

That old women has gotten over $600,000 in internet donations so far, and the city held a rally for her last night, where she was declared a hero and everyone says this is a teaching moment, and somehow this will help heal the community.
Typical liberal BS, you know - :rolleyes:

What we have is a bunch of mis-fit kids who need to get a beat down and some serious consequences, an old lady obviously not fit to do her job, a school system wandering around clueless, and a whole lot of intern idiots with more money than brains.

The whole thing is a travesty of reality.

btw.....you coming for ribs this year? :p

Marshall Bennett
06-23-2012, 11:48 AM
In a perfect world, he'd be tossed in with the general prison population and dealt with accordingly. Unfortunately, they're secluded with others of their own kind and pampered, carefully monitored so they're not abused, and probably have it much better than others in prison. They're given all the rights they never gave their victims.

Wagergirl
06-23-2012, 11:50 AM
In a perfect world, he'd be tossed in with the general prison population and dealt with accordingly. Unfortunately, they're secluded with others of their own kind and pampered, carefully monitored so they're not abused, and probably have it much better than others in prison. They're given all the rights they never gave their victims.

I believe they should be put in the cells with the biggest and meanest inmates. Or left alone with the mom's of the children they abused.

Tom
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
The inmates - Jerry's future bunk-buddies - have started chanting Pink Floyd's "Teacher, leave those kids alone." Repeatedly.

All in all, he's not just another brick in the wall.

so it goes......

Dave Schwartz
06-25-2012, 12:07 PM
They're given all the rights they never gave their victims.

As much as pedophiles deserve it, what kind of a society would we be if we actually allowed them to be abused?

While I could certainly support execution, I do not think that tying them to a post and allowing inmates to sodomize them regularly fits in with the model of an "enlightened" society.

Personally, I think that every convicted criminal should be given the opportunity for legal suicide as an alternative.

Robert Goren
06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I believe it was either CNN or Fox News that reported that after sentencing, he will be sent to a facility that houses sex offenders. They gave a name which I don't remember. I would think even there there is special wing for child molesters. There is no way he goes into the general prision population although that is what I would like.

Wagergirl
06-25-2012, 12:27 PM
I believe it was either CNN or Fox News that reported that after sentencing, he will be sent to a facility that houses sex offenders. They gave a name which I don't remember. I would think even there there is special wing for child molesters. There is no way he goes into the general prision population although that is what I would like.

Most states from what I have learned have special housing for their child sex offenders. Personally I think they should also be in general population, with something akin to a scarlett letter sewn into their clothes.

I know someone who is doing 36 years in Washington State Penn, He is currently in general population but because his case wasn't all over the news, he is lying about why he is there. Shame. I was hoping someone would leak it out by now..

Tom
06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
As much as pedophiles deserve it, what kind of a society would we be if we actually allowed them to be abused?

A better one?

Marshall Bennett
06-25-2012, 03:49 PM
May even serve as an example and save a few kids.

Valuist
06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
While the media often doesn't always do their job right, in this case, I believe they did an excellent job. I'm sure the locals all hate them for exposing the cancer that IS Penn State, but it had to be done.

iceknight
07-01-2012, 12:19 AM
While the media often doesn't always do their job right, in this case, I believe they did an excellent job. I'm sure the locals all hate them for exposing the cancer that IS Penn State, but it had to be done. Not "all" the "locals" hate them..

More of this (see link below) needs to come out. Penn State top adminstration is still trying to cover up and hide stuff like crazy. All these top admins were drawing million dollar or upwards of 750k a year... and only concerned about money and fame.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/david_jones_joe_paterno_fans_m.html

Tom
07-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Penn State should be banned from college sports.

Greyfox
07-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Penn State should be banned from college sports.

Yeah. Punish hundreds of young people across various sports and thousands of their fans for the stupid actions of a few. :rolleyes:

lamboguy
07-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Penn State should be banned from college sports.for the next 25 years. that would send a good message.

sometimes when a defendant has a trial and is convicted there might be still some doubt about him committing the crime. in the sandusky case, i see no doubt at all, and not only that, i see no doubt that the college was looking the other way while he was abusing kids.

a 25 year ban might not be enough of a penalty for this crime. arguably the college was more at fault than sandusky.

Greyfox
07-01-2012, 09:48 AM
a 25 year ban might not be enough of a penalty for this crime. arguably the college was more at fault than sandusky.

Yeah. Arguably the college was more at fault than Sandusky. Give them a 1000 year ban.
Surely you can trace this back to Bush too. :rolleyes:

lamboguy
07-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah. Arguably the college was more at fault than Sandusky. Give them a 1000 year ban.
Surely you can trace this back to Bush too. :rolleyes:you obviously have a much different view on things than most of the people that inhabit this world. you obviously must think that its alright for a college to know what is going on, and the right thing for them to do is to protect the faculty and coaching staff and not the kids that go to that school. i am very sorry, i think much differently than you do, the parents that send their kids to that school expected more out them than you think they need to do.

good luck

Greyfox
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
you obviously have a much different view on things than most of the people that inhabit this world. you obviously must think that its alright for a college to know what is going on, and the right thing for them to do is to protect the faculty and coaching staff and not the kids that go to that school. i am very sorry, i think much differently than you do, the parents that send their kids to that school expected more out them than you think they need to do.

good luck

99.999 % of the Administrators, Staff, Faculty, Janitors, Students and Alumni did not know what was going on.
They are the College - not the less than a handful of individuals who allegedly hushed things up.

My view is more in line with most of the people who inhabit the world than your Draconian vision which would punish hundreds of thousands of innocent people at that fine institution over a 25 year period.
Give your head a shake.

lamboguy
07-01-2012, 10:54 AM
99.999 % of the Administrators, Staff, Faculty, Janitors, Students and Alumni did not know what was going on.
They are the College - not the less than a handful of individuals who allegedly hushed things up.

My view is more in line with most of the people who inhabit the world than your Draconian vision which would punish hundreds of thousands of innocent people at that fine institution over a 25 year period.
Give your head a shake.no offense but i don't think you have a complete view of what went of in this fiasco. according to the centredaily newpaper the president of the university knew about alegations and chose not to investigate them. these guys are no janitors like you think. this whole episode is no joke. i have no idea why you are blaming bush for this either.

http://www.centredaily.com/sandusky-scandal/

Beachbabe
07-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Why should the athletes; the new coaching staff; the incoming freshmen; the students who take pride in Penn State athletics (not only football) be punished (for 25 years, yet :eek: ) for the actions of the administration.
Get rid of the administrators who looked the other way; bring criminal charges against them if you may. But to smear the whole student body & those who knew nothing about the goings-on is overkill in the extreme sense.

Dahoss9698
07-01-2012, 11:11 AM
arguably the college was more at fault than sandusky.

The college definitely should shoulder their fair share of blame here, but they are arguably more at fault than Sandusky? Really?

I must look at things differently because I don't see how anyone in this horrible case is at fault more than the monster who committed the acts.

lamboguy
07-01-2012, 11:35 AM
The college definitely should shoulder their fair share of blame here, but they are arguably more at fault than Sandusky? Really?

I must look at things differently because I don't see how anyone in this horrible case is at fault more than the monster who committed the acts.if it was only 1 or 2 incidents, i would agree. president Graham Spanier knew about the allegations, and he chose to sit on them instead of investigating them. if he had done something he might have prevented the next 8 incidents that we know of now.

even though Spanier won't be spending time behind bars, he is not immune from civil litigation's to follow.

Dahoss9698
07-01-2012, 11:39 AM
if it was only 1 or 2 incidents, i would agree. president Graham Spanier knew about the allegations, and he chose to sit on them instead of investigating them. if he had done something he might have prevented the next 8 incidents that we know of now.

even though Spanier won't be spending time behind bars, he is not immune from civil litigation's to follow.

why does it matter how many incidents there were? One is bad enough.

I just can't fault anyone in this case more than Sandusky. Others deserve blame, but no one more than the person who did it.

Greyfox
07-01-2012, 11:49 AM
. i have no idea why you are blaming bush for this either.

http://www.centredaily.com/sandusky-scandal/

Duh. That's exactly my point. You might as well blame Bush too as he knew nothing about it.
Your 25 year penalty would punish hundreds of thousands of Penn State students, faculty, maintenance, etc. who knew nothing about it.
Of course this was a horrible crime.
Of course Sandusky is a monster.
Of course the Penn President was moronic, if he was part of a cover up.
But the people you would punish had nothing to do with it.
I don't think that you get that.
If the school system you attended for several years didn't get through to you about the value of capitalizing the start of sentences, then I don't think that I can get through to you on this matter either.

Robert Fischer
07-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Just give them 5 years with no TV money and no corporate sponsors or endorsements.

That rules out bowl games.

Let them work on the basics and in 5 years start over.

Obviously there is no chance of this happening. The reason things were covered up in the first place is the money and power were more important.
Wouldn't want to disrupt that now...

lamboguy
07-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Duh. That's exactly my point. You might as well blame Bush too as he knew nothing about it.
Your 25 year penalty would punish hundreds of thousands of Penn State students, faculty, maintenance, etc. who knew nothing about it.
If the school system you attended for several years didn't get through to you about the value of capitalizing the start of sentences, then I don't think that I can get through to you on this matter either.that's because you are a legend in your own mind

Greyfox
07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
that's because you are a legend in your own mind

A comment with no relevance to the discussion at hand.
Never mind. So long.

Valuist
07-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Not "all" the "locals" hate them..

More of this (see link below) needs to come out. Penn State top adminstration is still trying to cover up and hide stuff like crazy. All these top admins were drawing million dollar or upwards of 750k a year... and only concerned about money and fame.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/david_jones_joe_paterno_fans_m.html

Absolutely. No doubt Paterno and other top administrators were covering the whole thing up. Thats why a death penalty for the football team is not too severe. And Paterno's image will be tainted forever.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Its gotten so embarassing, the people of Sandusky, Ohio want to improve their town's reputation by changing the name to Toxic Waste!

Marshall Bennett
07-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Can't imagine anyone wanting to send their kid to school there now. Just saying. "Oh, your kid goes to THAT school".

iceknight
07-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Can't imagine anyone wanting to send their kid to school there now. Just saying. "Oh, your kid goes to THAT school". Well, the PR machine used to spin the football+paterno way too much. However, the education at penn state is considered good in several circles. So, that might still survive if the football program is curtailed and the superhero status afforded to football on campus is curbed.

Rookies
07-02-2012, 05:28 PM
If the school system you attended for several years didn't get through to you about the value of capitalizing the start of sentences, then I don't think that I can get through to you on this matter either.

As many of us hypothesized months ago, the highest PSU officials were in on this sordid, despicable tale. All of THEM, including the President and the AD need to be charged...as their conduct was designed to avoid a black eye for Penn State- not to ensure that a child molesting monster was brought to justice, charged and convicted!

As for sanctions against the school, something minimal should certainly happen to advise any educational institutuon that a football program is never, ever more important than critical life decisions.

Tom
07-02-2012, 10:29 PM
They are not fit to operate a sports program.
Close it down.
If it kills the school, TFB.

Robert Fischer
07-02-2012, 10:45 PM
They are not fit to operate a sports program.
Close it down.
If it kills the school, TFB.

ESPN has them scheduled for Sept 1st on TV.

guess this makes for good programing..

Marshall Bennett
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Hope they lose every game. :)

newtothegame
07-03-2012, 12:08 AM
For my two cents, Sandusky is a freaking animal who needs to DIE! I am all for the death penalty is cases such as this. Kids have no choices. As guradians of them, adults do! And he should be held accountable to that.
As to the institution, I am going to ride the fence on this one. I fully understand those that say PSU should lose many years of football and possibly even harsher sanctions. After all, it was the administration (which is PSU) that covered this up. Joe Pa knew...and he chose to protect his football program and cover for PSU versus doing the right thing. So yes, I understand that argument.
But, on the other hand, there are thousands of kids who enroll in PSU who had absolutely nothing to do with this. I have a hard time punishing them (even if it is indirectly) as they had no involvement. They are being punished enough just being enrolled there.
Maybe the school loses its scholarships....
I don't know for sure. But, I find it hard to think I would be willing to punish kids and their families for decisions that were out of their control.

iceknight
07-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Paterno knew - in 2001 of the 1998 incident. As did Spanier, Schultz and Curley (AD - who played for Paterno long ago).

They were also more interested in "putting it behind them".

Read the full report of the independent Judge Freeh and team here:

http://media.centredaily.com/smedia/2012/07/12/09/17/1svCth.So.42.pdf

Page 21-24 then 26-28 tell a lot.

At the end are the Appendices that show actual email exchanges or notes.

Grits
07-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Tonight's newscast was devastating. All four, certainly including Paterno, I hope, will rot in hell. Fourteen years of knowing what this monster was doing and covering his every sick move. These men should face charges for aiding and abetting. And Jay Paterno should shut up about his glowingly innocent father. He, like his father, is a liar.

I hope the NCAA sanctions the Penn State athletic program. I'm sorry for the the students today who are not in any way involved, but this atrocity cannot be ignored. Time cannot move forward without punishment to this University, without support shown for these young men and their families. :(

horses4courses
07-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Tonight's newscast was devastating. All four, certainly including Paterno, I hope, will rot in hell. Fourteen years of knowing what this monster was doing and covering his every sick move. These men should face charges for aiding and abetting. And Jay Paterno should shut up about his glowingly innocent father. He, like his father, is a liar.

I hope the NCAA sanctions the Penn State athletic program. I'm sorry for the the students today who are not in any way involved, but this atrocity cannot be ignored. Time cannot move forward without punishment to this University, without support shown for these young men and their families. :(

I fully agree.
Said something similar in post #7.

Tom
07-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Rot in hell.......fitting.
I hope there one there now is burning.

magwell
07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Think these guys would have let this devil get away with it, if it was one of their kids or grand kids that got raped ? :rolleyes:

Wagergirl
07-13-2012, 11:18 AM

I agree 100%

iceknight
07-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Think these guys would have let this devil get away with it, if it was one of their kids or grand kids that got raped ? :rolleyes: If it had been one of Paterno's 17 grandkids that Sandusky had even showered with.. it would have been a different story in 1998.

lamboguy
07-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Rot in hell.......fitting.
I hope there one there now is burning.rot in hell is about right. 25-50 years no sports in penn state sounds right too. those people in penn state are at best just as responsible as the culprit if not more so. they should really send those guys in the can too.

Marshall Bennett
07-13-2012, 03:56 PM
They can shut the university down and turn it into a huge parking lot for all I care.

bigmack
07-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Heard someone say, pedophile enabling Paterno showed thousands of students how to play football and millions how not to be man by refusing to come forward and stop the abominations before they continued. FOR 14 YEARS!

Pearly gates sent Pateno subterranean.

ldiatone
07-13-2012, 05:42 PM
gee, Penn state university is still a top notch university. 5 men caused this scandel. yes what ever happens to them is deserved. joepa is dead and his legacy will be tarnished forever. what ever the NCAA and the BIG TEN do is for the sports of the school. but not all students go for the sports. there are other professors and teachers that are there to teach for degrees in many areas. im not a PSU fan(pitt here) but its these 5 men who caused this scandel not the students who just want a education. some people support the school...reported on the news PSU had it 2nd highest contributions of 2.4 mil. this year.

Marshall Bennett
07-13-2012, 06:47 PM
The footnote in history has Penn St. branded on it. Enough said.

iceknight
07-13-2012, 07:09 PM
gee, Penn state university is still a top notch university. 5 men caused this scandel. yes what ever happens to them is deserved. joepa is dead and his legacy will be tarnished forever. what ever the NCAA and the BIG TEN do is for the sports of the school. but not all students go for the sports. there are other professors and teachers that are there to teach for degrees in many areas. im not a PSU fan(pitt here) but its these 5 men who caused this scandel not the students who just want a education. some people support the school...reported on the news PSU had it 2nd highest contributions of 2.4 mil. this year. I understand that.. not all students do sports. but football was a religion here.. when I started my masters there, I avoided it for over a year But eventually i was assimilated and was a fan (but not a fanatic) for sometime. While they kept all this hidden, there were lot of positives which everyone got out of the football fame, etc etc and the networking. So, now the shame also will go along. What to do? if there is one thing to be learned it is that few people (or one person) should not be given sooo much power..

Rookies
07-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Consistency in stance and position is a constant virtue for many conservatives on this Forum. I've always want to make sure that this trait was tempered with being correct. I say this, because my position from the time the charges against that monster Sandusky came out was that:

a) He should (if convicted) get the Death Penalty for his crimes;

b) Those at the highest levels of PSU ( including Paterno, the President, V.P. and Athletic Director) likely participated in a coverup of the worst sports/crime scandal of all time (with the notable exception of the Munich Massacre) and if convicted, they should all be jailed.

The foundation of fact has now clearly come to pass and for the obvious reason of money, big money, tied to careers and reputations of the culprits, the football program and the entire PSU.

The only thing I am not certain or consistent about is what should be the penalty for the University and its disgraced football program; whose primacy trumped any remote concern/ justice for vulnerable children.

I believe that it should clearly be suspended for at least a couple of years by the NCAA. I also believe that any monies coming to it for those years should go in trust to the victims.

However, given the unequivocal damning report, I don't think the victims will have to worry about money, since they'll own most of PSU once all the litigation is finalized. The monterary aspect, of course, could never make up for the atrocities committed.

A truly awful saga, with several sad and angry chapters to come.:mad:

andtheyreoff
07-13-2012, 10:44 PM
rot in hell is about right. 25-50 years no sports in penn state sounds right too. those people in penn state are at best just as responsible as the culprit if not more so. they should really send those guys in the can too.

1. By banning sports @ Penn State, you'd be punishing thousands of people who had ZERO to do with this. Obviously the higher ups who allowed this to happen will be kicked out and deserve prison time IMO, but the fencing coach or the guy there on a golf scholarship would be screwed by something they had absolutely nothing to do with this tragedy. Not to mention the fact that the school gets a lot of money from sports. No sports, and you ruin the academic part.

2. I certainly think Paterno and the other guys who knew (but especially Paterno) are a bunch of POSs that deserve to burn in hell, but ultimately, Sandusky was the one who did it. He is the one who is the most responsible for what happened. Both parties are to blame, of course, but the guys who knew are not as responsible as Sandusky.

This whole episode reminds me of this quote:

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Marshall Bennett
07-14-2012, 06:56 AM
There will almost always be many punished by the actions of a few. When SMU received the "death penalty", the students that suffered had nothing to do with the scandal.

lamboguy
07-14-2012, 10:04 AM
1. By banning sports @ Penn State, you'd be punishing thousands of people who had ZERO to do with this. Obviously the higher ups who allowed this to happen will be kicked out and deserve prison time IMO, but the fencing coach or the guy there on a golf scholarship would be screwed by something they had absolutely nothing to do with this tragedy. Not to mention the fact that the school gets a lot of money from sports. No sports, and you ruin the academic part.

2. I certainly think Paterno and the other guys who knew (but especially Paterno) are a bunch of POSs that deserve to burn in hell, but ultimately, Sandusky was the one who did it. He is the one who is the most responsible for what happened. Both parties are to blame, of course, but the guys who knew are not as responsible as Sandusky.

This whole episode reminds me of this quote:

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
i have no argument with all that you have said, but i don't ever want to see any other kid have to go through this ordeal. in the racing game trainers give their horses drugs these day's knowing that the penalty's are small even if they get caught. but they know they are going to make money by tampering with the system. if they were going to go to jail, those trainers might not cheat. if colleges know how stiff the penalty's might be, they will not allow another jerry sandusky to run around abusing kids.

jerry sandusky has a sick mind, joe paterno and the president of penn state knew better.

elysiantraveller
07-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Looking like the death penalty for Penn State...

Tom
07-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Statue of Joe is down - being dismantled today.
Good.

iceknight
07-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Statue of Joe is down - being dismantled today.
Good. Attached is a picture from last night with a little bus from "Freedom excursions" and a bunch of people milling about.

I also see this link reporting about a wider scandal.. not sure how much to believe or not..or how much would really come out..

but thought I would share it anyway.

http://americanfreepress.net/?p=5116If

Ocala Mike
07-22-2012, 04:20 PM
They'll stop short of the death penalty, IMO. Loss of scholarships, loss of bowl game appearances, etc., etc.

I like the idea put forth by some coach, I believe, that they should be forced to divert revenue received from their games to a special fund designed to protect and aid abused children. (NO, NOT "SECOND MILE"!)

Valuist
07-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Watching the baseball game on ESPN, at the bottom, in "the crawl", the headline was PATERNO STATUS.

Guess what guys in Bristol, he's still dead.

Tom
07-22-2012, 09:32 PM
The should make the PS football team wear pink uniforms for the next 20 years.

iceknight
07-23-2012, 08:47 AM
The should make the PS football team wear pink uniforms for the next 20 years. It was Pink and White in 1890...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_Nittany_Lions_football#Uniform

iceknight
07-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Penn state banned from NCAA football, scholarships removed for 4 years. Transfers allowed to incoming Athletes. Vacates wins from 1998.

Shelby
07-23-2012, 09:27 AM
It's pretty bad when a $60 million dollar fine is the least of your worries......

iceknight
07-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Penn state banned from NCAA POSTSEASON football, scholarships removed for 4 years. Transfers allowed to incoming Athletes. Vacates wins from 1998. Forgot to add postseason there.

Also the good thing is the fine is to be used to fund EXTERNAL PROGRAMS to combat child abuse/help victims.. Not to be used internally,,

wisconsin
07-23-2012, 11:17 AM
I can understand much of the penalty, but vacating the wins? Does nothing but take more of the spotlight away form the actual person who directly caused the harm. It is now more about the university while Sandusky simply fades into memory.

Valuist
07-23-2012, 12:29 PM
The peripheral fallout will be interesting. How many players will leave the program? Supposedly they had the # 1 QB recruit. No way that kid stays. Will enough leave that they will be completely irrelevant?

iceknight
07-23-2012, 01:52 PM
The peripheral fallout will be interesting. How many players will leave the program? Supposedly they had the # 1 QB recruit. No way that kid stays. Will enough leave that they will be completely irrelevant? Irrelevant in what.. college football? I think the NCAA statement should serve as a message to ALL college sports in all universities. Syracuse.. others etc.. Education needs to come first. Then the economy would improve too.. Maybe this is the change we were all looking for .. and one we did nt get from Obama..

Valuist
07-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Irrelevant in what.. college football? I think the NCAA statement should serve as a message to ALL college sports in all universities. Syracuse.. others etc.. Education needs to come first. Then the economy would improve too.. Maybe this is the change we were all looking for .. and one we did nt get from Obama..

Yes, college football. This was a problem related to the football program. Not lacrosse, not gymnastics, and not Obama.

Pace Cap'n
07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Just figured out what the "PA" in "Joe PA" means...Pedophile Abetter.

Rookies
07-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm very comfortable with the penalties meted out to PSU; those being in addition to the individual criminal charges of all those pedophile criminal abetters.

My only wish is that PSU had the cajones to have done it themselves. Of course, they've had since last November or 1998 (take your pick:rolleyes: ) to do the right thing and we would have waited until hell froze over before they did!

Some have argued that the innocent are being punished for the actions of a few and the "football" program shouldn't suffer or be penalized as the Football Program wasn't responsible. In my opinion, it was EXACTLY the Football Program which benefited over all these years due to the criminal behaviour of those at the highest level of the University who ran it and ensured that nothing of a negative nature befell it.

Did any of those miserable bastards ever once ask: "What happened to those little boys? ":mad:

F Them.

Tom
07-23-2012, 11:25 PM
F Them.

Very well put.
Penn should be forced to disband it's athletic program completely.
As a school, they are not fit to participate.

iceknight
07-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Yes, college football. This was a problem related to the football program. Not lacrosse, not gymnastics, and not Obama. Football yes in this case.. But I think it is a broader "cash rich sports" problem. Syracuse Basketball...? You know what is really odd to see... A penn state alum donated 108 mil last year to build a brand new ice hockey rink and an eventual entry into D1 hockey programs. So now they have a different sports to go ape sh1t about.

However, this punishment did not go far enough. They SHOULD have cancelled the football ncaa program or banned it for 4 years. but no, I think they worried more about the season that is already going to be played... "the opposing teams" 9-10 whose revenues would be hurt etc. etc..

newtothegame
07-24-2012, 12:04 AM
On a local radio station, here in southern louisiana, they were talking about why the football program was allowed to remain intact. Not sure where they got the info, but there reasoning was the PSU would be allowed to play football so that the penalty would stay in the fore front of America. basically saying that child abuse would be in the media everytime PSU played. I took it as a way to bring more attention to an ongoing problem across america (not only at Penn state). This was mentioned also as to why there T.V. contracts were not taken away...
Just one radio stations opinion but it seemed to make sense when it was mentioned.

Valuist
07-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Football yes in this case.. But I think it is a broader "cash rich sports" problem. Syracuse Basketball...? You know what is really odd to see... A penn state alum donated 108 mil last year to build a brand new ice hockey rink and an eventual entry into D1 hockey programs. So now they have a different sports to go ape sh1t about.

However, this punishment did not go far enough. They SHOULD have cancelled the football ncaa program or banned it for 4 years. but no, I think they worried more about the season that is already going to be played... "the opposing teams" 9-10 whose revenues would be hurt etc. etc..

I agree the punishment did seem a bit lighter than anticipated, but we don't know how many players will transfer. It is possible the team will be relegated to garbage the next few years. I heard an analyst talking about the $60 million fine. That's the amount of revenue the PSU football program generates every year. So financially like a one year death penalty without penalizing the athletes, or the opponents.