PDA

View Full Version : Love and racing

Vengeance of Rain
06-13-2012, 05:32 PM
For the people who have a wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, mistress, lover or whatever... does you significant other enjoy racing? Hate it? Bear with it? Make an effort to understand it?

Do you hide pp's or lie about how you're spending the day?

Do you hope they don't say yes if you ask if they'd like to go to a special race day or do you wish they'd say yes more often and share your interest?

How does this work in your relationship / life?

For the currently unattached what do you think... could you only be with someone who has some interest? Total interest? Does it not matter at all? If you're on a date and you bring it up does the other person look at you like you've just grown two extra heads? If they start with any PETAesque stuff is that the end? Do you give it the old college try or walk away? Do you attempt to set them straight or smile, nod and pretend to listen while really going through entries for the following days card in your head?

Tell ua a story about your best or worst experience related to racing and a date or your significant other.

RaceBookJoe
06-13-2012, 06:37 PM
For the people who have a wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, mistress, lover or whatever... does you significant other enjoy racing? Hate it? Bear with it? Make an effort to understand it?

Do you hide pp's or lie about how you're spending the day?

Do you hope they don't say yes if you ask if they'd like to go to a special race day or do you wish they'd say yes more often and share your interest?

How does this work in your relationship / life?

For the currently unattached what do you think... could you only be with someone who has some interest? Total interest? Does it not matter at all? If you're on a date and you bring it up does the other person look at you like you've just grown two extra heads? If they start with any PETAesque stuff is that the end? Do you give it the old college try or walk away? Do you attempt to set them straight or smile, nod and pretend to listen while really going through entries for the following days card in your head?

Tell ua a story about your best or worst experience related to racing and a date or your significant other.

My wife doesnt mind me enjoying and playing the horses. She even likes to watch the big races with me, but otherwise she isnt much of a fan. She has gone to Saratoga with me twice. She has no clue what it takes to find a playable horse, but she knows just by watching me that it takes a lot of work/study. Besides her, i never took a date to the races.

Mike at A+
06-13-2012, 09:38 PM
My wife (and kids) all love racing. We go to Saratoga every year and have been staying at the same motel for about 30 years. We look forward to August to hook up with the same old friends we see there every year. I bet every day we're up there, many times on the computer and instead of hitting the track we go to the many places the Adirondacks has to offer. When we do hit the track, we're in the picnic area with a cooler full of beer, wine, soda and sandwiches from a local deli. Lake George or the strip in Saratoga at night. The good life. And we have 4 parties every year here in PA for the 3 Triple Crown races and the Breeders Cup. My dad (God rest his soul) turned me on to racing when I was a young kid and our entire family has kept the tradition. My wife is with me 100%. She's a saint to put up with me.

DigitalDownsJoe
06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
My wife doesnt enjoy racing at all. Taking her is like pulling teeth. So I generally do not. She only will go if i take her to the restaurant and wine her dine her. LOL

Overlay
06-14-2012, 02:32 PM
My wife has never shared my interest in racing/handicapping (which I had long before I met her, and which I was up front about with her before we got married). However, she doesn't mind it as long as I cover my own expenses or bring money in. She has other hobbies/pursuits of her own. (I will say, however. that by the time we got married (when I was 32), the more obsessive -- and expensive -- phase of my involvement (where I collected consecutive back issues of the Form and racing magazines, and bought every new book that came out on the subject) had already passed.) My son (who just graduated from law school) may turn out to develop an ongoing recreational interest in handicapping, and I always enjoy discussing races with him.

StormChaser
06-14-2012, 02:56 PM
I take wagers over the phone, I really love the older couples who call in with their bets and you can hear her telling him what she wants to bet on, or the other way around. Some of them seem to be having a great time!
Much better than the ones where you can hear the spouse in the back ground yelling at them to hurry up and get off the phone....