PDA

View Full Version : Lindsey Graham

jdhanover
06-12-2012, 11:08 AM
I read today that Lindsey Graham has publicly stated that the 'No New Taxes' pledge needs to be modified (that tax revenue from closing some of the loopholes should go to deficit reduction versus other tax cuts). His comment (paraphrased) is that there needs to be some compromise of strict idealogical beliefs in light of the current situation.

I have always had a great deal of respect for him even when I disagree (which is somewhat often as I am a centrist - left on some issues, right on others). I hope other Republicans and Democrats follow suit. We can't afford either side to dig their heels in so deep as to not compromise.

Blame etc gets us nowhere. Nor does screaming. Rational thought and LISTENING to the other side of a debate leads to workable compromises to resolve problems.

Kudos to you, Senator Graham.

ArlJim78
06-12-2012, 01:51 PM
the devil is in the details. nobody is against closing loopholes.
it becomes all about semantics. most of them talk about keeping the Bush tax rates as a tax cut, when its not. the rates have been in place for 10 years. the question now is do we raise the rates or maintain them where they are at.

I don't see how you avoid placing blame, insanity has ruled the day for the past 6 years in congress. what rational idea has been offered by the democrats that we need to listen to in order to craft a rational plan? Whenever Republicans propose even the most minor change they're called as evil, heartless, racist folks who want to kill old people and starve children. only one side is even trying to address the problem. the other side is mired in the past, thinking that we can keep borrowing, spending and taxing our way to prosperity.

nothing whatsoever will come from this president and congress. nothing but demagogeury and class warfare.
our only hope is to throw out the democrats and begin some reforms next year.

jdhanover
06-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Well, the blame, I think goes to both sides. There are MANY arguments that show both sides created and fueled the current issues/problems.

To say its the Dems fault, alone, is to me missing half the problem...the Repubs.
Remember, the collapse of 2008 was on Republican watch so to say that everything wrong now is the Democrats fault is, to me, off. That is NOT to say that the Dems dont have a lot to answer for as they do.

I see it as 50/50 in terms of blame' and 'fault'. Both have lost sight of governing, they prefer to try to score 'points'. In fact, I think the biggest problem in Congress is the lack of centrists.

But blame isn't the answer to fixing. Both sides need to compromise - there was that commission that did so to some extent but neither side embraced it - else more trouble will be had.