PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEMS WITH COMPUTER

HUSKER55
06-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Lately I have been having a problem with ie9. the message says IE9 stopped working and restarted again.

I tried using chrome but it got worse.

I tried resetting default settings and it still doesn't work right.

I feel like something is running in the background but I have no idea how to tell for sure.

I finally decided to reformat my hard drive and now the damn thing is back.

I called microsoft and they are aware of the problem. What they did was send me 134 patches for windows. It took my computer almost 2 hours to download. still get the same message.

has anyone run into this? any ideas?

I am leaning toward buying a new hard drive but then I thought if something is on my computer then AVG didn't catch it. Maybe I have more problems than I thought.

My computer still runs slow.

HoofedInTheChest
06-11-2012, 05:38 PM
What kind of hardware are you running? You need to provide more info like the processor and the amount of ram and so on......

Are you running Windows XP?

Download CrystalDisk and run a scan to check out the health of your hard drive before upgrading to a new hard drive.

You might be infected, download HitmanPro and run that after you check out your hard drive.

Upgrade to a better Anti-Virus/Security, AVG isn't the greatest, it has backdoors that are penetrable.

Canarsie
06-11-2012, 06:36 PM
How to Fix “Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working” Issue in Internet Explorer 9 Beta

http://www.webtlk.com/2010/09/16/how-to-fix-internet-explorer-has-stopped-working-issue-in-internet-explorer-9-beta/

tupper
06-12-2012, 04:01 AM
It's probably not your hard drive.

Boot a small, free Linux live CD, such as Parted Magic (http://partedmagic.com/doku.php). If Firefox runs faster in Parted Magic than IE runs in your Windows install, you might have a virus, or your hardware might not be powerful enough to run your Windows/IE/Chrome upgrade.

Canarsie
06-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Did you try to completely and securely wipe all the data off your hard drive?

Try one of these and start over again. A virus could be eliminated after this step.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/5-free-programs-to-completely-wipe-a-hard-drive/

I already mentioned this with no reply either way but here is the MS site.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/tips-for-solving-problems-with-internet-explorer

HUSKER55
06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
i am working on all of your ideas. it seems to happen most when I try to access a web page and then move inside of it.

tupper
06-12-2012, 10:29 AM
it seems to happen most when I try to access a web page and then move inside of it.
Disable java and javascript in your browser, then see if there is a speed improvement. You might temporarily lose some functionality with the javascript off, but you can always re-enable. Javascript is sometimes needed for some web pages full functionality. Java is almost never needed.

In addition, clear your browser cache and delete any other browser cruft (cookies, active logons, browsing history, download history, offline website data, etc.). If you know how to delete Flash cookies, do that, too.

HUSKER55
06-12-2012, 10:41 AM
i forgot to download java.

my hard drive is operating at 44 degrees celcius the operation speed and condition level is 9.5 out of 10 and the transfer rate is 5.7 of 5.9.

good news: not my hard drive

HoofedInTheChest
06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
That's good news your hard drive is ok, if you re-formatted the system it should be clean and no need to clean your cookies or cache. Did you do a soft format or a complete format with a fresh install of Windows?

The next thing i would investigate would be your Ram, do you know how much Ram is inside your puter? By today's standards you should be running atleast 4G of ram, if it is a older system you might not have enough horsepower to run IE9. You can get away with 2G of ram but at times it will be overwhelmed.
You can use CPU-Z to check out your hardware...
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I would install Firefox and see if you can function with that browser, i normally run Firefox but i have IE9 on my puter and it works just fine, so it probably has something to do with your system.

HUSKER55
06-12-2012, 01:39 PM
i GOT 4G OF RAM. i HAVE TRIED ALL OF YOUR RECOMENDATIONS AND WE WILL SEE HOW IT GOES.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR INPUT. i APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS.

tupper
06-15-2012, 06:07 PM
i forgot to download java.
BTW, Java and javascript are two completely different things.

One doesn't usually download "javascript" -- a browser is usually javascript capable or not. Of course, if javascript is enabled in one's browser, the compatible scripts are "downloaded" from the web page one visits and then the scripts are "run" (which can slow things down tremendously).

It is more important to try to disable javascript to gain browser speed, rather than futzing with Java.

njcurveball
06-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I would make sure Adobe Flash is updated to the latest version. Also make sure that your video driver is updated to latest version.

HUSKER55
06-16-2012, 11:08 AM
I thought I should thank all of you again. So far,....so good. the "stopped working" problem seems to have been fixed.

I got rid of a bunch of programs that I had but didn't use, and I update all my drivers myself. Those programs that do it for you don't seem to work,...at least not for me.

I tried a couple but when I went to the web page, NVIDIA for example, it said I needed to update my card. So I trash canned all of those kinds of programs.

Good, bad, right or wrong,...I am on this kick right now that if it is not from microsoft or adobe I am not interested.

Thanks again. Appreciate it!
:)