PDA

View Full Version : Paramutuel's(PM) pet peeves

StormChaser
06-09-2012, 12:00 PM
These aren't in any order. But they will help make everyone's wagering experience go smootherKnow your bet when you get to the window or call your bets in. There are so many times that I find, we are at post and someone calls to wager and they haven't got a clue what they are going to bet on. This is very unfair to other bettors who are waiting in the queue.

Use the correct order. I have worked for several companies as a paramutuel and they all require the same order. I have wagered at the local track which also requires the same order. Name of the track, Number of the race, type of bet, horse NUMBER.
Don't call at post if you are wagering on a race in the future. For example, race one Belmont is at post, do not call in a wager for race 2 or beyond at that moment. Wait until the race has gone off.
If you don't know, ask we are happy to help.
If you call at post, yelling at the PM will not get your wager in any faster. Spitting out your account number as fast as you can, will not get your wager in any faster. More often then not, the PM will have to have you repeat it because they can't understand you.
If the PM has made a mistake, and they are fixing the mistake. Be patient, and be quiet. They can fix it faster, if you aren't yelling.
If it is a big race day, get your bets in as early as you can. Understand that there are going to be ALOT of green bettors calling in, and they require a lot of help to get through wagering.
Know you scratches. It saves everyone time.
Enunciate.

JustRalph
06-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Enunciate.
[/list]

:lol: Now that is funny!

StormChaser
06-09-2012, 12:49 PM
:) Trust me, it is the key!!

LottaKash
06-09-2012, 01:13 PM
This is very unfair to other bettors who are waiting in the queue.

It's been that way, since my first nite of racing some 50-odd yrs ago...

I doubt if it will ever change, human nature being what it is....

best,

FenceBored
06-09-2012, 01:30 PM
:lol: Now that is funny!

"No no, Miss Lamont. Round tones, round tones."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4esKWTBxU

Tom
06-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Couple of things, if people are calling in bets, it may be they call when they can, ie, lunch time, break, between classes.......so post times may not be known precisely, and if you are taking multiple tracks, no one would know but you, and scratches may never be known.

nearco
06-09-2012, 02:23 PM
People wager by phone? in 2012?
They must be the last of a dying breed.

StormChaser
06-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Couple of things, if people are calling in bets, it may be they call when they can, ie, lunch time, break, between classes.......so post times may not be known precisely.

While they might not be known percisely,the post times are available online and in several newspapers. So if you can use that as an estimated time.. and go from there, you should be fairly safe.

and if you are taking multiple tracks, no one would know but you, .

We don't expect you to know all the tracks. But if you are aware of the tracks you are better, that would be amazing.

scratches may never be known.

the way to fix that is : "Hi, can I have the scratches for track "blah blah"
:) we are always happy to give them when asked. We are even willing to hang on for a moment if your horse is scratched.

But I stick by the "ENUNCIATE" :) you can never go wrong there.

StormChaser
06-09-2012, 02:49 PM
People wager by phone? in 2012?
They must be the last of a dying breed.

We take an average of 18k calls a day between our two call centers.

We took over 36k during the Kentucky derby. (it was insane!!)

our call center alone is at 6k calls today.

Tom
06-09-2012, 03:52 PM
If I had access to post times or scratches on line, I wouldn't be making a phone bet. I would have a note in my pocket with my plays and that is all.

StormChaser
06-09-2012, 04:17 PM
If I had access to post times or scratches on line, I wouldn't be making a phone bet. I would have a note in my pocket with my plays and that is all.

But you do have access to a friendly PM who would be more than happy to give you this information at the beginning of the day when it's quiet. :)

But there are some who are beyond help. Had a call this morning from someone who wanted to box Bodemeister and IHA, for the Belmont in race 13.:eek:

Robert Goren
06-09-2012, 04:29 PM
But you do have access to a friendly PM who would be more than happy to give you this information at the beginning of the day when it's quiet. :)

But there are some who are beyond help. Had a call this morning from someone who wanted to box Bodemeister and IHA, for the Belmont in race 13.:eek: Not necessarily! If you are at work, you may be only to call in your bets during lunch when you off the clock. Several companies I worked for took a very dim view of a person devoting any of his working time to gambling. They weren't even too fond of me calling in my bets at lunch, but since I was off the clock and using my own phone, there wasn't much they could do about it. That did stop them from expressing their displeasure to me about it.

Tom
06-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Scratches, early in the day???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

StormChaser
06-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Not necessarily! If you are at work, you may be only to call in your bets during lunch when you off the clock. Several companies I worked for took a very dim view of a person devoting any of his working time to gambling. They weren't even too fond of me calling in my bets at lunch, but since I was off the clock and using my own phone, there wasn't much they could do about it. That did stop them from expressing their displeasure to me about it.

Ah, whadda they know??? :) We understand that there are those who can only call in a certain times. But if at all possible.. it would be spectacular if it could happen. Call me a dreamer. :)