PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting Quote From Bailey (conveyed by Layden)

Meunuco
06-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Frank Layden, with the following in his SI article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20120607/belmont-stakes-preview/):

"Not every expert is raving about Gutierrez's work. Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey, who is providing analysis for NBC, told me Thursday morning on the Belmont backside: "I was impressed with his ride in the Kentucky Derby. In the Preakness? I was not impressed. He misjudged the pace and the horse bailed him out.'' I suggest to Bailey that maybe Gutierrez simply had confidence in his horse and Bailey said, "That might be true, but it was perilous to let Bodemeister open that kind of lead at a comfortable pace."

This was such an incredible ride by Gutierrez, letting Creative Cause do all the work chasing Bodemeister, not coming out on the turn but drafting behind that one, until they entered the stretch and he angled IHA out to launch his bid. Only way he gets Bodemeister. Incredibly well timed ride.
I hope the connections realize that this jock won them the Preakness. Clearly, Bailey doesn't. I read where they had Bailey tutoring him, so I would tend to doubt it.

nijinski
06-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Frank Layden, with the following in his SI article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20120607/belmont-stakes-preview/):

"Not every expert is raving about Gutierrez's work. Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey, who is providing analysis for NBC, told me Thursday morning on the Belmont backside: "I was impressed with his ride in the Kentucky Derby. In the Preakness? I was not impressed. He misjudged the pace and the horse bailed him out.'' I suggest to Bailey that maybe Gutierrez simply had confidence in his horse and Bailey said, "That might be true, but it was perilous to let Bodemeister open that kind of lead at a comfortable pace."

This was such an incredible ride by Gutierrez, letting Creative Cause do all the work chasing Bodemeister, not coming out on the turn but drafting behind that one, until they entered the stretch and he angled IHA out to launch his bid. Only way he gets Bodemeister. Incredibly well timed ride.
I hope the connections realize that this jock won them the Preakness. Clearly, Bailey doesn't. I read where they had Bailey tutoring him, so I would tend to doubt it.

Bailey certainly is qualified to make that judgement with his career records. IMO .

Dahoss9698
06-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Bailey certainly is qualified to make that judgement with his career records. IMO .

He might be qualified, but he's wrong here.

bks
06-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Dead wrong. Bailey's mistake comes from his overestimation of Bodemeister. Gutierrez rode a great race.

JustRalph
06-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Bailey always seems to be a story sometime during the triple crown

thaskalos
06-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Surprising comments by Bailey...and without merit whatsoever, IMO.

You could not have expected two better rides on the game's biggest stage...especially considering that Gutierrez was a previously unknown 25 year-old rider.

He deserves praise for the composure that he displayed...not criticism.

Bailey is just trying to impress with his knowledge of the sport, IMO...and, in this case, he failed miserably.

nijinski
06-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Not being race riders , can we say he is absolutely wrong ? He praised him
for his Derby ride and thought the horse bailed him out in the Preakness
and or that he may have taken a risk considering the pace.
I have given the young Jock credit for his deeds and his composure but I think Bailey may have been preparing him for the big task ahead. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism coming from someone who was as highly regarded when he rode as JB .

plainolebill
06-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Bailey always seems to be a story sometime during the triple crown

I'm sure Bailey misses the limelight.

Track Phantom
06-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Bailey's comments are ridiculous for this simple reason. Had he ridden a similar race, he would have defended himself by saying he knows (from his experience) when he has a lot of horse under him and when to move into the pace. He would have been offended had someone criticized a winning ride and said the horse won despite him.

He may believe what he said but he's an grade 1 a*shole for saying it publicly.

nijinski
06-09-2012, 03:11 AM
"I thought he did a phenomenal job in the Kentucky Derby and I had to tip my hat to him," he said. "The pace did help him out to some extent because it spread the field out so that he could be only two wide from the 19 post. But it took a lot of finesse and a lot of cool to be that far back on a horse that had been tactical most of his life and a stalker. I was a big fan of his Derby ride.
"I can't say the same thing for the Preakness, though. He was cool, but giving Bodemeister that easy a pace and being three lengths off of him was a big risk. But he got the job done. He showed coolness in the Derby, but I thought he was too cool in the Preakness."

This is how it was worded on ESPN.com by Bill Finley .
It really isn't that bad .
In fact O'Neill called Bailey to see if he would jog around the Belmont oval with
Mario , before the scratch of course . Never happened anyway . NBC balked
noting conflict of interest.

Pace Cap'n
06-09-2012, 06:27 AM
I'm surprised Bailey didn't come out of retirement for one more chance at screwing someone out of a Triple Crown.

Dahoss9698
06-09-2012, 10:08 AM
"I thought he did a phenomenal job in the Kentucky Derby and I had to tip my hat to him," he said. "The pace did help him out to some extent because it spread the field out so that he could be only two wide from the 19 post. But it took a lot of finesse and a lot of cool to be that far back on a horse that had been tactical most of his life and a stalker. I was a big fan of his Derby ride.
"I can't say the same thing for the Preakness, though. He was cool, but giving Bodemeister that easy a pace and being three lengths off of him was a big risk. But he got the job done. He showed coolness in the Derby, but I thought he was too cool in the Preakness."

This is how it was worded on ESPN.com by Bill Finley .
It really isn't that bad .
In fact O'Neill called Bailey to see if he would jog around the Belmont oval with
Mario , before the scratch of course . Never happened anyway . NBC balked
noting conflict of interest.

Regardless of how it is worded, he's still wrong. I do wonder who actually has the correct quote and why the other isn't correct. I mean are horse racing journalists just flat out making up quotes up now?

Had IHA been closer, he wouldn't have had the same closing kick he had. Mario knew just how much horse he had. And as the tread starter mentioned, letting Creative Cause be the one to pester Bodemeister, and drafting on the turn, instead of rushing up prematurely like a lot (most) of riders would have showed great poise. He did everything right.

ronsmac
06-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I loved Bailey's ride on cigar chasing the Mandella horse in ridiculous fractions only to be caught by the other Mandella. Or better yet, Skip away in the Breeders cup , when earlier on the card he said you had to be on the outside only to get Skip Away trapped on the rail and then say he just didn't like Churchill. Of course my favorite , is the one year at Keeneland when he lost on over 20 favorites in a row.

Shemp Howard
06-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Maybe Bailey's been drinking again.

nijinski
06-10-2012, 12:08 AM
I loved Bailey's ride on cigar chasing the Mandella horse in ridiculous fractions only to be caught by the other Mandella. Or better yet, Skip away in the Breeders cup , when earlier on the card he said you had to be on the outside only to get Skip Away trapped on the rail and then say he just didn't like Churchill. Of course my favorite , is the one year at Keeneland when he lost on over 20 favorites in a row.

The loss may have been an error in judgment on my part," Mott said. "I knew when they went 45 [seconds] and change for the half-mile, that was too fast. . . .

"But I don't think any less of the horse. I don't think any less of Jerry. I hope I have the same thoughts about myself afterward."

Bailey answerd every question at the conference after Cigar's loss. He took
the blame . The above was from Mott . He spoke with Bailey pre race and instructed him to go after the frontrunner.
I see all the love here for Bailey. I happen to like him . some here don't , we don't have to agree .
I was rarely disappointed on his rides .