06-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Here's the totals Wednesday for the two teams combined:

0 runs
5 hits
3 errors

Shamefully bad.

horses4courses
06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I haven't followed Chicago baseball closely since I left the area as a kid in the late 60s. Was a Cub fan back then.
The results were always mixed, but there was plenty of talent on most of those Cub teams.

Seen them in a few games on TV recently.
You can only describe the current team as "pathetic".
Terrible defense, no hitting, and a pitching staff not likely to improve as the season goes on.

Cub's fans are very resilient, and it's a party at Wrigley no matter what.
But this is going to be one long, ugly season for the Northsiders.

:bang:

Valuist
06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I haven't followed Chicago baseball closely since I left the area as a kid in the late 60s. Was a Cub fan back then.
The results were always mixed, but there was plenty of talent on most of those Cub teams.

Seen them in a few games on TV recently.
You can only describe the current team as "pathetic".
Terrible defense, no hitting, and a pitching staff not likely to improve as the season goes on.

Cub's fans are very resilient, and it's a party at Wrigley no matter what.
But this is going to be one long, ugly season for the Northsiders.

:bang:

I've been watching since 1970 and this could be the worst Cub team I've seen. They had a real bad year or two in the mid 70s and a few real bad teams in the 90s. But we pretty much expected a minimum of 95 losses. Its all about 2014 and beyond. We will see if Theo can work his magic.

OTM Al
06-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I've been watching since 1970 and this could be the worst Cub team I've seen. They had a real bad year or two in the mid 70s and a few real bad teams in the 90s. But we pretty much expected a minimum of 95 losses. Its all about 2014 and beyond. We will see if Theo can work his magic.

Those mid seventies teams were hideous. I refuse to believe this team is really worse regardless of what their record ends up being.

Striker
06-07-2012, 12:27 PM
This Cub team is very, very bad and any true fan had to know that this would be the most probable outcome this year. Fans are taking a little bit of a stance with not going to games as not every game at Wrigley is a sellout. But what is really noticeable is the fans at away games, take the latest brewers series in wisky. I used to go to at least one of these games a year and I would have gone this year but the game times didn't allow me to do it this year. Miller Park was virtually empty for 1 of the games in that series and that would never happen as that is like Wrigleyville North with lots of Cub fans making the drive up there for the games but not this year. Theo and the staff haven't exactly impressed me so far especially with the guy they drafted with the 6th pick who is represented by Boras. This kid already was playing media games saying he is going to college but he says he is ready for the majors if it came down to that. There were many other players they could have selected with that pick and the research wasn't obviously done on this kid imo.

Valuist
06-07-2012, 02:07 PM
This Cub team is very, very bad and any true fan had to know that this would be the most probable outcome this year. Fans are taking a little bit of a stance with not going to games as not every game at Wrigley is a sellout. But what is really noticeable is the fans at away games, take the latest brewers series in wisky. I used to go to at least one of these games a year and I would have gone this year but the game times didn't allow me to do it this year. Miller Park was virtually empty for 1 of the games in that series and that would never happen as that is like Wrigleyville North with lots of Cub fans making the drive up there for the games but not this year. Theo and the staff haven't exactly impressed me so far especially with the guy they drafted with the 6th pick who is represented by Boras. This kid already was playing media games saying he is going to college but he says he is ready for the majors if it came down to that. There were many other players they could have selected with that pick and the research wasn't obviously done on this kid imo.

I am a Brewer (20 game) season ticket holder and we can pick the games to make up the 20. The past 3 years, I selected all nine games the Cubs would visit Milwaukee. I only took 6 this year because I knew the Cubs would be bad. For Tuesday night's game, my tickets (200 level between home and first) sold for $20 on Stub Hub. I went to the game last night and there had to be at least 15,000 empty seats at Miller. Regarding those seats I sold for $20, those would've gone for $70-$75 each in 2009 and 2010. Of course the Brewers have been a disappointment this year also but the White Sox, currently in first place, can't give their tickets away. It is a real bad secondary market for sporting events, and from what I hear, concerts also.

Striker
06-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Love Miller Park. As far as the Sox, it just goes to show you that the product doesn't matter as much as location and surroundings. I would love to be able to tailgate before a Cubs game instead of going to the Cubby Bear or Murphys. At Sox games you can do that in certain parking lots. I know the Sox are currently offering some of their Upper Deck seats at $5 and cannot get people to come out. Being in 1st place doesn't matter.

Robert Goren
06-07-2012, 06:42 PM
When the ownership of the Cubs changed a couple of years ago, they went from really bad to God Awful. The Cubs now have the worst ownership this side of the Clippers of the NBA.

Valuist
06-07-2012, 11:39 PM
When the ownership of the Cubs changed a couple of years ago, they went from really bad to God Awful. The Cubs now have the worst ownership this side of the Clippers of the NBA.

Why do I sense this was based on the political leanings of the Ricketts and not their baseball operations?

wisconsin
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM

No, it was really bad under the Wrigley ownership. They made the playoffs 6 times under Chicago Tribune ownership. The new owners went in the right direction when they hired the GM who turned the Red Sox into WS champions. Every Cub fan knows that this is going to take a couple of years, but personally, I expect big things within several years.

Robert Goren
06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
No, it was really bad under the Wrigley ownership. They made the playoffs 6 times under Chicago Tribune ownership. The new owners went in the right direction when they hired the GM who turned the Red Sox into WS champions. Every Cub fan knows that this is going to take a couple of years, but personally, I expect big things within several years.We shall see. I expect that Cubs will have a big payroll and a lousy record for many years to come.
The Rickets are from Nebraska. The old man made a lot of money with TD-Ameritrade. There is no way the cubs become anything resembling a good team unless the old man becomes involved with it. So far he has not done that. Although I don't agree with Joe Rickets politically, I will say this. He knows how to make money hand over fist. His kids are a different story entirely. One of them, Pete, ran for senate here 6 years ago. He outspent his democratic opponent, Ben Nelson, by nearly 4 to 1 and lost by 28% points. You have to look long and hard to find a republican who ran in a statewide election in Nebraska and lost by 28%. I am not sure it has ever been done before. Unless the old man gets involved with the Cubs, you can expect similar performance from the Cubs's ownership. The Rickets kids have a proven track record of ineptitude.

Valuist
06-08-2012, 12:52 PM
We shall see. I expect that Cubs will have a big payroll and a lousy record for many years to come.
The Rickets are from Nebraska. The old man made a lot of money with TD-Ameritrade. There is no way the cubs become anything resembling a good team unless the old man becomes involved with it. So far he has not done that. Although I don't agree with Joe Rickets politically, I will say this. He knows how to make money hand over fist. His kids are a different story entirely. One of them, Pete, ran for senate here 6 years ago. He outspent his democratic opponent, Ben Nelson, by nearly 4 to 1 and lost by 28% points. You have to look long and hard to find a republican who ran in a statewide election in Nebraska and lost by 28%. I am not sure it has ever been done before. Unless the old man gets involved with the Cubs, you can expect similar performance from the Cubs's ownership. The Rickets kids have a proven track record of ineptitude.

Theo is running the operations, not the Ricketts family. They are shedding payroll; not adding to it. Garza and Dempster will be next to go. If they could get a taker for Soriano, he'd definitely be gone. They will add to payroll down the line, but not for several years.