PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day 2012 - True Story at Trader Joe's

Dave Schwartz
06-04-2012, 09:24 PM
This story is absolutely true, told to me by someone who experienced it first hand.

On memorial day, the Trader Joe's in Carson City, NV, was not flying the U.S. flag. Apparently, it had been put up and someone of non-American lineage told the supervisor on duty that they were offended by the flag. The supervisor quickly responded by taking the flag down.

A short while later, an employee came in and saw that the flag was not flying. He asked why and when he was told the reason, he became very (shall we say) displeased with the supervisor's decision.

He said that he had served in Afghanistan, and had recently attended a funeral for a friend who lost his life there while serving our country. He went on to say that he could not stand by and allow this to continue.

Then he went to where the flag was stored, grabbed the flag, walked through the store with it and put it on the pole himself.

There is (ultimately) a happy ending to this story.

Apparently, a short while later, the store manager found out about what had occurred. He called the parties in - counseled the supervisor, and apologized to the other employee(s) who had stood up for the flying of our flag.

Today I called him (the manager) and congratulated him for his actions.

We live in the age of hyphenated Americans. While I respect the right of a person to refer to themselves as African-American, Mexican-American or any other of a myriad of labels that allows them to retain their culture and background this is the United States of AMERICA.

If you are offended by OUR flag, maybe you should consider a change of location. If you do not feel it is worthy of your salute, fine - don't salute it. But do not expect me to take it down.

I will never apologize for being an American. Either should you.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Vengeance of Rain
06-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Un*******believable.

JustRalph
06-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Holy hell!

delayjf
06-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Can't make up my mind at whom I'm angrier with, the one who is insulted by the flag or the POS supervisor that gave in to the insulted worker. I'm leaning towards the supervisor.

BlueShoe
06-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Must say that I admire the vet's self restraint. Had I been in his place my response would have been, shall we say, more spirited. If the party that objected was also an employee or a customer that I could identify, things would have gotten very frisky. My defense would have been that I was defending the Constitution from a domestic enemy, under an obligation to an oath that I swore to long ago and am still bound to, having never renounced it. While I was at it, would probably also go after the supervisor that took the flag down.

mostpost
06-04-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't think this ever happened. I tried to find any story such as this online and found nothing. Surely this would have been reported somewhere. It does not make any sense that someone would go to a Trader Joe's and complain about a flag. It makes even less sense that an employee at Trader Joe's would take down the flag on a complaint of a single person or any number of persons.

Anyone with any sense would realize that a lot more people would object to the flag being taken down than might object to it being flown.

Dave Schwartz
06-05-2012, 12:09 AM
I don't think this ever happened.

I assure you it did.

1. I spoke to one of the employees involved.
2. I spoke to the manager of the Trader Joe's.

mostpost
06-05-2012, 12:31 AM
I assure you it did.

1. I spoke to one of the employees involved.
2. I spoke to the manager of the Trader Joe's.

I thought it was the person who told you the story saying that he talked to the manager.
Now instead of saying I don't think this happened, I have to say, I can't believe this happened. :rolleyes: :eek:

Dave Schwartz
06-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Trader Joe's
3790 U.S. 395 Carson City, NV 89705
(775) 267-2486

I spoke with him today.

mostpost
06-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Trader Joe's
3790 U.S. 395 Carson City, NV 89705
(775) 267-2486

I spoke with him today.
Let me clarify. I believe you. I believe the supervisor took down the flag. I am astounded he would do such a thing.

Dave Schwartz
06-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Posty,

I did not mean to infer that you did not believe me.

Rather, I wanted anyone who wish to follow up to have the capability.

canleakid
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
"I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

now if this offends you, YOU got a big problem with me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the person who was offended, has the right to walk out 'cause this is AMERICA
the supervisor, should be reminded this is AMERICA
the employee who did the right thing, "I got your 6 ;)"

iceknight
06-06-2012, 04:13 AM
Wow, that's pretty wild. How can someone *infringe* upon the right of someone/a business to fly THE US flag and complain to the supervisor about it? They (the complainer) were lucky not to have been booked under a legitimate charge in trying to suppress free expression of speech.

Robert Goren
06-06-2012, 04:45 AM
All this proves is that there is at least one idiot in managerial position at Trader Joes. As for the original complainer, he should renounce his citizenship and move to Singapore where he can join the former facebook guy. We can get along just fine without people like them.

HUSKER55
06-06-2012, 06:03 AM
AMEN TO THAT ROBERT!

GaryG
06-06-2012, 06:44 AM
If you're runnin' down my country, man, you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.

Merle Haggard

BlueShoe
06-06-2012, 09:17 AM
If you're runnin' down my country, man, you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.

Merle Haggard
One of my all time favorite patriotic songs. Have that CD in the car and play it often on long trips. Also on it is "Okie From Muskogee", which I like perhaps even better. After 40 years, both songs are still relevant.

toetoe
06-06-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't think this ever happened. I tried to find any story such as this online and found nothing. Surely this would have been reported somewhere. It does not make any sense that someone would go to a Trader Joe's and complain about a flag. It makes even less sense that an employee at Trader Joe's would take down the flag on a complaint of a single person or any number of persons.

Anyone with any sense would realize that a lot more people would object to the flag being taken down than might object to it being flown.

I must agree with mostpost. This is a myth. It's hilarious that Big Wave Dave prefaces his story with "... absolutely true (second hand)." :lol:

toetoe
06-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I must agree with mostpost.

What have I done ?!? (:Cue Prof. Weirdo voice.) :eek: ... :D

toetoe
06-06-2012, 10:46 AM
One of my all time favorite patriotic songs. Have that CD in the car and play it often on long trips. Also on it is "Okie From Muskogee", which I like perhaps even better. After 40 years, both songs are still relevant.

That's fine. Please do not bring Toby Keith into this discussion. P.U. (:Holding nose.)

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2012, 11:21 AM
I must agree with mostpost. This is a myth. It's hilarious that Big Wave Dave prefaces his story with "... absolutely true (second hand)." :lol: Why would you continue to think it's a myth?

BlueShoe
06-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I must agree with mostpost. This is a myth. It's hilarious that Big Wave Dave prefaces his story with "... absolutely true (second hand)." :lol:
What motive would Dave, or for that matter, the store personnel, have in fabricating such a disturbing story? As for Mosty's comment about lack of coverage, this was a very localized incident, restricted to one business location. Why should there have been any publicizing it to any outside media, it was a private matter? Tell you what, later this month my annual trip to South Lake Tahoe is coming up. While had not planned to visit Carson this trip, can easily do so. Would the doubters like me to visit that Trader Joe's, talk to people, ask a lot of questions, and post my findings upon my return?

JustRalph
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM

Merle Haggard

I was not schtupping my private pilot

John Travolta