PDA

View Full Version : this is koo-koo

lamboguy
06-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Mountaineer runs turf races their first 4 races of the night. the weather was great tonight. after the second race they decided to take the remaining 2 races off the turf.

people played the pick 4 before they knew of the cancellation. people who are pick 4 players handicapped for TURF. those handicappers just got penalized for paying more takeout to play that wager and just got screwed.

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2012, 08:20 PM
So what you're saying is, they just arbitrarily decided to take those races off the turf for no reason, just to screw with bettors like you?

Maybe something was wrong with the turf course. Maybe the jockeys came back and alerted management to a potentially dangerous situation.

You don't think management just sits upstairs in their cushy chairs, stroking their handlebar mustaches, thinking of ways to screw you out of money, do you?

This is a game played outdoors. Sometimes shit happens...

lamboguy
06-03-2012, 08:24 PM
So what you're saying is, they just arbitrarily decided to take those races off the turf for no reason, just to screw with bettors like you?

Maybe something was wrong with the turf course. Maybe the jockeys came back and alerted management to a potentially dangerous situation.

You don't think management just sits upstairs in their cushy chairs, stroking their handlebar mustaches, thinking of ways to screw you out of money, do you?

This is a game played outdoors. Sometimes shit happens...i am sure it wasn't arbitrary. it might have been something like the grass was to high and the jockey's decided not to ride the remaining races on the turf. it certainly wasn't the weather.

i am saying that the customer took a back seat on this matter. they should have got paid for the first race and cancel the pick 4.

every other race track has rules in place. if this had happened in new york, there would have been a riot as i am sure you know.

no one wants to bet a turf horse on dirt.

tzipi
06-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah I can't see Mountaineer just taking the turf races off for no reason at all. They had to have had their reasons and I'm sure a good one. They always do a fair job there for the bettors in my opinion.

proximity
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
mr secret workout inside information didn't have the inside information this time?
sounds more like boo hoo than koo koo.
and your "best" rebates should have covered the takeout situation so you weren't paying more than normal win takeout.

5k-claim
06-03-2012, 08:44 PM
i am saying that the customer took a back seat on this matter. Hey, if the riders did not like the course then they didn't like it. Pretty simple.

It's not as if any trainer that shipped in to Mountaineer wanting to run on the turf is thrilled with the races coming off, either. But that's the way it goes.

Are you sure "they" (meaning the riders) were not trying to "screw" the trainers, instead of you?

lamboguy
06-03-2012, 08:46 PM
mr secret workout inside information didn't have the inside information this time?
and your "best" rebates should have covered the takeout situation so you weren't paying more than normal win takeout.
you might have been born at night, but not last night. no great opportunity to snipe at me gets past you.

good luck to you

lamboguy
06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Hey, if the riders did not like the course then they didn't like it. Pretty simple.

It's not as if any trainer that shipped in to Mountaineer wanting to run on the turf is thrilled with the races coming off, either. But that's the way it goes.

Are you sure "they" (meaning the riders) were not trying to "screw" the trainers, instead of you?i didn't get screwed, i don't bet pick bets. i just thought they should have taken it off the turf before they started the pick 4. i think that the bettors are important to the game. i would like to know what the rule in new york is for a situation like this one.

5k-claim
06-03-2012, 08:53 PM
i didn't get screwed, i don't bet pick bets. i just thought they should have taken it off the turf before they started the pick 4. i think that the bettors are important to the game. i would like to know what the rule in new york is for a situation like this one.You mean before they even ran any races? (I thought you said the Pick 4 had started with the first race?)

The jockeys gave it two races. I don't think they walk the course as a group before the first race.

speed
06-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Priceless!

proximity
06-03-2012, 09:14 PM
you might have been born at night, but not last night. no great opportunity to snipe at me gets past you.

good luck to you

it's nothing personal as you are obviously a good man. you do have access to all the best though. workout info, direct lines to trainers, matties ratings, adw ownership,.... so one time something goes wrong. i'm just pointing out how the post reads to your average railbird here.

duncan04
06-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Hope Mountainman can shed some light on this!

Dahoss9698
06-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Seems like West Virginia has the same rules as Florida. I have brought up instances similar to this in the past that have happened at Gulfstream.

It was unfair to bettors then and it is now.

mountainman
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
The jocks deemed the grass unsafe. They are super-cautious here concerning slick turf. Citing dew that sets in after dark, they several years back nixed turf racing under mountaineer's new bank of lights, which were installed at considerable expense for that very purpose.

As to wagering protocols, I'll convey the concerns expressed here to my boss, mnr's director of racing. I'll also check the rulebook. I do wonder, however,-and i did field several complaints this morning-if affected players would be quite so irate had a sudden downpour, rather than that belated change of heart on the rider's part, necessitated the switch.

iceknight
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
This is a game played outdoors. Sometimes shit happens... Slightly off-topic but still relevant to your quote.. they play football indoors, show horse indoors... how come indoor horse racing never caught or even started (1958 clipping (http://goo.gl/eB1OG) )

lamboguy
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
The jocks deemed the grass unsafe. They are super-cautious here concerning slick turf. Citing dew that sets in after dark, they several years back nixed turf racing under mountaineer's new bank of lights, which were installed at considerable expense for that very purpose.

As to wagering protocols, I'll convey the concerns expressed here to my boss, mnr's director of racing. I'll also check the rulebook. I do wonder, however,-and i did field several complaints this morning-if affected players would be quite so irate had a sudden downpour, rather than that belated change of heart on the rider's part, necessitated the switch.i am fine with that, and we all appreciate your efforts in this matter.

LottaKash
06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Slightly off-topic but still relevant to your quote.. they play football indoors, show horse indoors... how come indoor horse racing never caught or even started (1958 clipping (http://goo.gl/eB1OG) )

Horse-Pee n' Plop and Linament makes for an interesting aroma...:D

best,

mountainman
06-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I consulted both our chief steward and director of racing and can't add much that you guys didn't know. Although nothing in the rulebook/gaming regulations specifically covers such belated transference of turf races to dirt, state policy makes no provision for revising the format once a single leg (of a horizontal gimmick) has been run. Sorry to be of such little assistance.

lamboguy
06-10-2012, 03:29 PM
i think this is the first year that you have carried pick 4's. i am sure they used races 2-5 because there are people that are attracted to turf races and love the idea of playing 3 out of the 4 races on turf. i know thats the case because i have a friend that never played mountaineer in his life and all of a sudden started playing early pick 4s there because of the turf. my friend was the reason i posted this, after the change he called me to complain.