PDA

View Full Version : River Rush -- was he bettable?

Meunuco
06-03-2012, 07:48 PM
21:1 2nd time starter maiden winner, in going away fashion, of the Plate Trial. Did this one figure for anyone?

lamboguy
06-03-2012, 07:55 PM
i bet out on that horse the time before in maidens, the horse was training lights out, i looked at the race today for 5 minutes and thought it was a big question whether he could step up after losing his last and just to let you know how stupid i really am, the clincher for me not to bet the horse was the jockey went to a Todd Pletcher horse whom i thought has no business being in the race to start out. so i went along with the jockey and probably her agent and thought he was over matched. that is how you miss a $45 winner.

Meunuco
06-03-2012, 08:02 PM
It'd be interesting to find out why Emma decided to take the Pletcher mount. Did she like RR but still decide to go with Pletcher for longterm possibilities (rare as these might seemingly be) or did she not give the horse a shot.

JustRalph
06-03-2012, 08:04 PM
That trainer is almost always bettable at woodbine in my opine.

I didn't like the jock or the switch. I figured it was a closer's race, but I bet the :2: . He ran like a dog and didn't close at all. The other horse was ridden out perfectly. So much for me taking points away from the jock.

maclr11
06-03-2012, 08:11 PM
He was the 4th of 5 I used in the pick 3s

Hard to throw reade baker out
Liked the breeding, distance and race style
I had class questions

2,6,9/3,7/1,3,6,10,11

jerry-g
06-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I missed winning this 8th race by a mile and an eighth. However, I would like to offer my post race analysis. What I missed seeing before the race was that River Rush had finished 2nd his last out beating 10 horses at Keeneland. I tossed him due to the jockey change from high % to a low % Jock. We now know that horses can win in spite of who's on top of them. I also did not follow my own logic which tells me that in races of a mile and 1/8, distance plays a more important role than in all of racing. Horses that have not competed well at or near that distance are not likely contenders. As a no brainer on my part and coupled with a brain infart occurring somewhere between my synapses and my dangling participle, I bet on the 8 to win. He had never raced a route since last October and last race was a 7F and he got beat by more than half of the field. How I thought he might win today is still a mystery to me. The change to a low % jock does not mean they didn't want to win the race with half a million cestersies as a prize. I believe they got 60% of the purse. Perhaps not a race for traditional handicapping.

Some_One
06-03-2012, 10:36 PM
OG NewPace had him (late)

cnollfan
06-05-2012, 12:07 PM
The favorite had never run past seven furlongs and did not figure to get an uncontested lead, so the race was very bettable and tailor-made for a horse like River Rush. I did not have him, though looking back he makes sense.