PDA

View Full Version : Idiosyncrasies of the forum

Vengeance of Rain
06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Forums are, I think, misunderstood by people who don't use them. To the outsiders they're a paradox. From conversations I've had I think they think something intended for interaction increases social isolation.

I've only been on racing forums and so those are the only ones I can comment on but I naturally think they're great. If they didn't exist I'd probably have to start talking to myself.

Every racing forum seems to have their own distinct personality, does it not?

Thoroughbred Champions for example... I don't post there but will look on occassion.

I would guess the make up of that board has more women then men and a younger crowd than most boards. This is just a guess though.

If I'm in a rush and looking for results and a quickie account of the race a lot of members of that board seem to watch and post simultaneously. Yes there's twitter but sometimes I want to hear a couple of opinions after the fact.

For some the banter might be a little over the top while others may find it cute. I'm fine with it. To use a tres annoying phrase it is what it is.

I am not at all insulting this or any board. Just trying to look at what makes them distinct.

PA seems a very smart place and yet it has peculiarities.

So lets talk about this place. Does anyone notice anything here that doesn't exist elsewhere?

There is a kind of loose social order as is true on other forums. It's indefinable but if you're around for long enough you just know it, understand it, become a part of it. The who's who is not only tolerated but respected.To me the hierarchy is pretty clear... those who have been here the longest, those who are well respected or appear to be and so are never questioned or crossed. I'm not insinuating they should be, for the record.

There are the usual funny types and their sidekicks the wish they were funny types.

There is a small group of women who seem to be very vocal about just that. (I was about to qualify my statement but there's no way around it coming off as rude so forget it).

There are the attention seekers, quiet types, there is the big middle class of which most of us are a part of...

... and then there is something very strange.

I am continually surprised by certain interactions... the dichotomy between what I will term the intellectuals and the, well... for lack of a better word (stalkers would sound mean and groupies might imply a kind of sexual attraction) Group X.

Watching a couple of members of the Group X crowd trying to match wits with some of the more eloquent board members is painful.

More often than not these obsessive types throw themselves at one or two of the more passionate members only to be joined by assorted posters (who, a lot of the time, aren't thugs or anything but) who do seem to conveniently appear for these assaults... for these verbal gang bangs.

It's interesting and yet uncomfortable.

Theree's no shortage of said events.. they seem to go on and on and on.

So that's what I see anyway and am in no way insulting this forum, any moderator (CJ is one of the nicest people on any forum, period. He is all class) or anything like that. It's just what I notice and really the ones who are subjected to KGB-esque interrogation - their manner, humor, wisdom and at times biting remarks and rebuttals make them some of the best parts of this forum.

I see most people here as highly intelligent and enjoy the way issues are discussed in such detail.

What is it you all notice about this forum? Other forums? Forums in general?.

What do you applaud? Dislike? What would you change?

What do you think of the fights? Am I banned for asking (hope not!)?!

LottaKash
06-02-2012, 11:33 PM
No Soup for you....Come back, 1-year...:kiss:

best,

Dave Schwartz
06-03-2012, 01:21 AM
A very interesting, astute, and diplomatic post.

HUSKER55
06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
just so we are on the same page,......

if you want to improve your game betting horses, where do you go? There are alot of good handicappers here and the knowledge base runs the gamit.

as for the dicotomy,..do you have any idea how boring life would be if everyone was the same?

spirited debates, verbal volleyball games and, (my personal favorite) shooting from the hip. (us redneck bastards tend to do that alot). it is fun to run into others who do the same.

if you need info on your computer, software, satelite or what ever you can come here and get honest info and good places to start to fix the problem. What is not to like about that?

Want to blow off steam, there is a forum for that. what is not to like about that?

just jump in, both legs, arm and an elbow. The more the better. The greater the difference in people the better.

what is not to like?

fast4522
06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
"Want to blow off steam, there is a forum for that. what is not to like about that?

just jump in, both legs, arm and an elbow. The more the better. The greater the difference in people the better.

what is not to like?"

Put so well! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

ElKabong
06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
"Want to blow off steam, there is a forum for that. what is not to like about that?

what is not to like?"

Put so well! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Definitely true. So many people want a homoginized environment, it's as if they never set foot out of a door.

At work we deal with difficult personalities

On the street & in stores we deal with difficult people

When dealing with local, state, fed gov't we deal with uncaring, incompetent people

Get off the "prozac life" merry go round. It's a big world out there. Deal with it, and live a life