PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Selections: Sat., June 2, 2012

Teach
06-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Race One:

My pick in this state-bred allowance sprint is along shot try, #5 Silver Over Gold. The Mr. Prospector-bred filly tried allowance company a few weeks ago and finished fourth. He‘s now back at it again on a wet track. I think he‘ll benefit from the “off“ surface. Although the filly is winless in two wet-surface tries, she did do well back in November in 25K claiming company. The filly led the field to the top of the stretch in a sloppy-track route race. This proves she can handle the surface; she shortens up here to suix furlongs. If she breaks from the gate alertly, she can be a factor. Taylor Hole rides for Gregg Matties. #4 Lenders Way last ran in the 100K New York Stallion Park Avenue for fillies and mares on May 6. The 3-year-old Dixieland Band-bred filly finished third in that one. She was leading as the horses moved to the top of the stretch but faded to the show position. The filly now cuts back a half-furlong. This filly has hit the tote in eight of ten tries. Jose Lezcano retains the ride for trainer Jim Ryerson. Another distaffer to be reckoned with is #6 My Girl Gracie, with the teen-age apprentice Richard Canchari (he’s been riding at Arlington and Oaklawn, and most recently at Monmouth and Delaware), has been “the fave” or second-choice in all six of her recent races. In seven lifetime tries she has won once and finished second three times. The 4-year-old Personal Flag-bred filly now shortens up a half-furlong. Another horse to consider is #2 Karma Police with Ramon Dominguez in the irons for trainer Richard Signore. The Storm Cat-bred filly has hit the tote in 7 of 9 lifetime starts. The horse has a first and a second in two tries on an “off” track.

Race Two:

I like #6 Cybertron in this seven furlong state-bred maiden-claiming race. The chestnut gelding has solid wet-track breeding, e.g., Whywhywhy, Mr. Greeley, Cryptoclearance. Up until his last race, the horse had been racing in maiden special weights before dropping in for a tag; he finished third in his last effort. Any slight improvement and this Jose Lezcano-ridden/Phil Serpe-trainee can be right there at the wire. #8 Cameron Canyon finished second to It’s Truly Ahvee as an MTO in a six furlong sprint that was taken off the grass last Saturday. This is the horse’s third start back off a layoff. This Forty Niner-bred colt is taking a slight class drop. The razor-sharp Rosie Napravnik is riding for trainer Dominic Galluscio (saddled two winners yesterday). Another horse worthy of consideration is I see #4 Why Argue as “the sleeper” here. I watched this horse’s last race at Belmont. What struck me is that Why Argue seemed to be finding his best stride in mid-stretch in that six-furlong sprint. He now stretches out an extra furlong. I think the 3-year-old Mark Hennig-trained colt is coming up to a big race. #5 El Cuardo hasn’t shown much lately, but he’s been competing in turf racesw where he’s 0 for 5 lifetime. He’s now back on the main track and sprinting seven furlongs. He did finish third in better company in an off-the-turf route back in February. The horse might wake up and add value to an exotic.

Race Three:

I’m assuming this 50K OC route race that was scheduled for the Inner Turf will be run instead on the main track. I have to say that on paper #8 Acting Happy’s racing resume is most impressive: the 2010 Alabama at Saratoga (she finished third); the 2010 Breeders Cup at Churchill Downs (she finished sixth); the 2010 Grade 2 Black-Eyed Susan at Pimlico (she won); the CCA Oaks at Saratoga (she finished third). However, there are gaps in this mare’s racing appearances. Since campaigning in prestigious company as a three-year old, this now 5-year-old Unbridled-bred mare has only graced the racetrack three times. Well, to a handicapper gaps in racing performances are similar to gaps in a resume to a Human Resources Director. You’re asking: “Why”? “Where have you been?” Her last race was at Pimlico in April in OC company; she finished third as the odds-on favorite. As far as this race is concerned, I‘m picking her; yet this horse “remains a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.” Ramon Dominguez rides for Rick Dutrow. I see the main competition coming from another MTO, #9 PleasantFriday. The Mitchell Friedman trainee has won five-straight races. Javier Castellano rides. This 4-year-old chestnut filly has wet track breeding on her sire’s side (Pleasant Colony). Lifetime, the horse has hit the tote in 9 of 15 tries. Yet, another MTO is #10 Harbor Mist. The Unbridled’s Song-bred filly won her last at a mile on a muddy track by nearly five lengths. Edgar Prado again gets the call for trainer Phil Serpe. Finally, the last of the MTOs, the Brad Baker trainee, #11 Truth Will Tell. This Valid Appeal-bred mare has won her last two. The five-year old mare has solid wet-track breeding. She’s most capable of adding value to an exotic.

Race Four:

In this seven furlong maiden claimer I like #2 Dr. Wesley. This three-year old Fappiano-bred gelding could do little in a route race in mid May at Philadelphia. The horse finished sixth in a field of seven. But a picture - or better said, replays - are worth a thousand - well, maybe not that many - words. In looking at the replay, the gelding was forced wide into the four or five path on the first turn. He then settled down on the backstretch and made a solid move into the third position as the horses rounded the bend near the head of the stretch. However, the gelding - who has wet-track breeding written all over him - flattened out in the lane. Well, the horse is turning back into a one-turn race on what appears will likely be a sloppy track, a surface that should be to this horse’s liking. The horse comes out of the maiden special weights and into the selling ranks. New-to-the-NYRA scene, apprentice jockey Alex Canchari gets the call for trainer Steve Klesaris. #4 Six Peaces has solid wet-track breeding on both his sire’s and dam’s side. He should move up on an “off” surface. In addition, this 3-year-old Afleet-bred gelding is trying blinkers for the first time. That could make a big difference and enhance the horse’s chances. When last seen in a pari-mutual race this past April at Gulfstream, the gelding finished third in 50K claiming company. This seemingly softer field should also help. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons for trainer Joe Orseno. Another horse that merits consideration is #8 Horseshoe Lake, The horse is owned by the Marylou Whitney Stables and trained by Nick Zito. Rosie Napravnik is in the irons for this Grindstone-bred gelding. The horse could do little in his last as he was swung five-wide in the stretch and finished up the track. The gelding now turns back a furlong and drops down into slightly softer company. I think the outside starting post should help this horse’s running style. Another horse who could benefit from both turning back a furlong and a wet surface is #6 Karma Shield. The horse is leaving the maiden special weight category and dropping in for a tag. The horse also gets a high percentage jockey in the person of Javier Castellano. The ever capable Ken McPeek trains this four-year old Seeking The Gold-bred colt.

Race Five:

My pick here in this turf race is #5 Crypto Kitten. I must say almost by default. The mare has a serious case of second-itis. Is this the day that she breaks her maiden? She's been second in five of seven lifetime turf tries. Javier Castellano rides for Mike Maker. #4 Katie Malone looms as as a possibility here. The Tale Of The Cat-bred filly has a third in three tries on the grass. Yes, the horse has been away from the track for sevedral months, yet her morning works are decent. She should not be overlooked. Apprentice Alex Canchari rides for Jane Cibelli. Also in the mix is #3 Proud Dame with David Cohen riding Barclay Tagg. The filly has a third in two turf tries. In her last, a maiden special weight turf race, the filly finished fourth
at a mile. Any slight improvement would land this filly's number up on the tote. Finally, #1 Hlao Roo is another filly that fits in this company. The Forty Niner-bred filly is ridden by Junior Alvarado and trained by Leah "The Parson" Gyarmati. The horse has a second and third in five turf tries.

Race Six:

#10 Ventura Bar

is an MTO Bertrando-bred colt who finished third in his last race, an OC sprint in late April. The horse‘s breeding says he should be able to handle an “off“ dirt surface. The colt has hit the board in seven of ten lifetime tries. The horse has had two recent “bullet“ works which bodes well for his return to the races. Maylan Studart rides. #3 Voter has been racing in maiden special weight, allowance and OC company; he now drops in for a tag. Junior Alvarado, who rode the horse back in April, retains the ride for Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott. The colt has solid wet-track breeding in both Cryptoclearance and Victory Gallop. #5 Rally Point gets the services of the red-hot Javier Castellano. The horse’s only win came in a route race on the synthetic surface at Keeneland in late April. Ken McPeek trains this Gulch-bred colt. This colt can get the distance; he may add value to your ticket. #7 El Corriente is a horse that can surprise. He’s hit the tote in four of nine lifetime starts. The 5-year old gelding who’s ridden by Eddie Castro and trained by Phil Scott has wet-track breeding in Mr. Greeley. The horse should be able to get the distance.

Race Seven:

#8 Salsa Kitty

is my pick in this 50K claiming sprint. The Storm Cat-bred filly broke her maiden at first asking. She was claimed out of that race and became a Joe Orseno trainee. In her last race on a sloppy track at Churchill Downs, the horse was a step slow coming out of the gate but quickly moved into contention on the outside down the backstretch. As the horses made the turn, the filly was looming boldly on the outside. She quickly collared the front-runners in the stretch and easily pulled away under restrained urging (talk about oxymorons). If she repeats that effort, she can make it two wins in two tries. #4 McCarren Park has been facing tougher competition in recent tries. She now drops in for a tag. In her last, the Silver Deputy-bred filly finished third in a six and one-half furlong race run on a muddy track. She now turns back a half-furlong, that should help. So too should the services of jockey Ramon Dominguez who is riding for trainer Steve Asmussen. The filly has hit the tote in six of nine lifetime efforts; she’s one for two on a wet track. #7 Catalonia has been “A Tale of Two Cities.” (both in “The Big Apple”). In her first race, the Gone West-bred filly broke her maiden at first asking in a 25K claimer. Yet, in her second race, a race in which she went off as the odds-on “fave,“ the horse alertly left the gate only to be eased. Which Catalonia do we get? If she returns to the form the she displayed in her first race, she has a chance of being a factor here. However,… I will say this: the filly’s work-tab has been most solid. Jockey Jose Lezcano rides for trainer Robert Barbara. Finally, #3 Union Boss has a first and fourth place finish in two lifetime starts. The Dixieland Band-bred filly has not raced in over two months, yet her morning works are very good. She “drilled” a “bullet” a little over a month ago. She got five furlongs in :59.3, handily. Edgar Prado rides for Carl Domino.

Race Eight:

In a claiming sprint scheduled to be contested on the Widener turf but likely to be run on the dirt, I like #13 Maggie’s Hadder is an MTO who last competed in the New York Stallion Series - Times Square Division. In that May 6th race, the three-year old Dixieland Band-bred colt finished seventh after taking the lead down the backstretch. The horse’s connections may have been a little bit too ambitious in that last start; the horse is now entered in a field where he has good chance of competing. The colt did break his maiden at first askin g in a 20K claimer. Abel Lezcano rides for Dominic Galluscio. #15 Warrior From Above is an MTO who will draw in in this race now being run on the dirt. Wilmer Garcia rides for Rodrigo Ubillo. Although the horse has won only one race in 15 tries (his last one). The race he won, against slightly softer, was a six furlong sprint on a muddy track. The A.P. Indy-bred gelding might just make it two in a row. #2 Nonno’s Boy has not won in two wet track tries; yet the three-year old colt has wet-track breeding on both his sire’s (Valid Appeal) and dam’s Storm Cat) sides. The Rosie Napravnik-ridden horse has faced better; Dom Galluscio trains.

Race Nine:

The ninth race on the afternoon’s card is the six and one-half furlongs Grade 2 Vagrancy. It’s a wide-open affair where a case can be made for several horses. My tepid nod goes to the #1A C C’s Pal. The mare ran a game second in the My Juliet at Philadelphia last Saturday. In her current sharp form - she hit the tote in all seven of her recent races - I’m giving my lukewarm edge to this Alex’s Pal-bred five-year old mare. Oh, she’s also hit the tote in all four of her wet-track tries. Junior Alvarado rides for Rick Dutrow. Another horse to consider is #7 She’s Cheeky. She was second in her last at Keeneland back in April in the Grade 1 Vinery Madison. Her morning works leading up to the Vagrancy have been decent. Yet, I believe the mare will benefit from the wet surface and an outside post. Also in the mix is #5 Kid Kate. The 5-year-old Lemon Drop Kid-bred mare has hit the tote in 13 of 18 lifetime tries. Yes, she’s been off since last October when she competed in the Miss Golden Circle at Belmont; yet, her morning works have good and she’s trained by the most capable Chad Brown. Eddie Castro “The Panamanian Phenom” is in the irons. Finally, last but not least, #3 Nicole H. She disappointed as the favorite last Saturday at Philadelphia in the My Juliet. In that race, she appeared to loom on the far turn but then hung in the stretch to finish fourth; yet she was less than a length off the winner. Prior top her two recent fourth place finishes, the mare had been either first or second in seven straight races. She has one second in one trry on a wet surface. Ramon Dominguez rides for Mike Hushion.

Race Ten:

The finale is a maiden route turf race on the Inner Turf Course. I give my tepid nod to #7 Bundestag. The bred-for-the-turf five-year old gelding has been second in his last two efforts. My only concern is that the gelding hasn’t raced in over two months and there are no recorded morning works to judge his progress. The most capable Cornelio Velasquez rides for trainer Jim Day. ##9 Astonish. The A.P. Indy-bred gelding looks like one of the few horses in the field who should be able to get the mile and on-sixteenth distance. Jockey Rosie Napravnik rides for trainer Roy Lerman. The gelding has been competitive at this level while racing down in Tampa. The horse’s turf record is a second and two thirds in four tries. The gelding has, however, been the beaten favorite in his last two tries. Another caveat: the gelding’s morning works have been mediocre; yet, on his best this horse can be right there Another horse to consider is #6 Go For Two. This is the “mystery” horse in this race. In his only start, this 3-year-old Giant’s Causeway-bred gelding fought his rider, Junior Alvarado, and had to be eased. Off his last effort, a 65K Claimer, the horse was claimed by trainer Rudy Rodriguez (the trainer and his connections must have thought highly enough of this horse’s potential that they would claim him, unraced, for 65K). The horse could be a “surprise” factor. Finally, #4 Magic Middleton has hit the tote in all three of his turf tries. The “hot as a petardo,” Javier Castellano rides for trainer Bruce Levine. Yes, the Seattle Slew-bred gelding has gone off the favorite in his last two, but he has disappointed in both efforts; he finished fourth and third. Maybe, today is the day the horse “gets off the schneid”.