PDA

View Full Version : Sat Coffee Break 06-02

wilderness
06-02-2012, 07:48 AM
http://www.mi-harness.net/eur/coffeebreak.html

wilderness
06-02-2012, 01:59 PM
I was positive that many would get the Lake Placid photo.
The mountains and valley were plastered on photo's across the world.

Any Ohioan that did recognize Doc Parsahll from his frame, hat and hidden face, should be embarrassed to call themselves an Ohioan.
There's still a stake raced in Parshall's honor.

Volo Song (Volomite-Evensong) was a Hambeltonian winner (died an early death as a 4YO and was a great loss to the breeding world) and Ben White (nothing more needs be said of Mr. White).

The boy on the pony at DuQuoin would be impossible. I don't believe I've seen another DuQuoin photo with those types of fences.

001 location?
BenUbbengahWatchingRace
from Jan 1944 Hoof Beats:
Tummy full of hamburgers, popcorn, coke, n'everything and a grandstand seat aboard the motive power that brought twelve-year-old Ben Ubbengah of Hartstburg, Ill., to the Du Quoin State Fair. At left, shown watching the second heat of The Spentell Free-for-All Trot, won by His Excellency in 2.07.
The other was taken unknown to Ben whose Interest then was completely in the stretch finish.

002 location?
LakePlacidTrackBarns
From Jan 1944 Hoof Beats:
The race track picture shows the racing oval being prepared for the winter season, the bleachers having been removed. The stables are fitted with hot water, electricity, large heaters for the patrons, who require an occasional "shin warming" between races, and about everything else necessary to the comfort of horses and people attending. The Winter Matinee season starts December 26 and will continue until the latter part of February, 1944—possibly later. The grounds are entirely surrounded by lofty mountains, the one in the background being the famous Sentinel Range.

003 location?
Race1
Freehold
from June 21, 1944 Harness Horse Advertisemnt.
Date, horses and drivers unknown.

004 Horseman?
Symbol Prince (Doc Parshall)
from Mar 1944 Hoof Beats:
Despite opinion to the contrary expressed at North Randall last July, horses do clear the ground beyond "just an inch or two," according to the contention of a follower of the sport for a quarter century or more. Herewith is shown Symbol Prince 2.033/4 at least twelve inches above terra firma, and not unlike the character who "floats through the air with the greatest of case." There is enough of the driver shown to identify him as Dr. Hugh Parshall. The photo was taken by Dick Case at Good Time Park, Goshen.

005 Horse and driver?
Volo Song (Ben White)
from Feb 1944 Hoof Beats:
VOLO SONG
The Hambletonian Hero of 1943
UNDOUBTEDLY, one of the greatest trotting juveniles of all time, Volo Song, 3, 2.021/2 is regarded by many as much more of a speed phenomenon than mere official figures have yet shown, Those who recollect his mighty display of speed in the Hambletonian Stake, when over a track accounted far from fast, he manifested two-minute ability, are quick to believe that the son of Volomite and Evensong is due to delve deep into the two-minute zone, when after the proposed deferment of his further track career he comes back to add to that part which has reflected so brilliantly thus far, in his campaigns as a two-year-old and three-year-old. Always in this connection there will be deserved praise turned to Ben White, his veteran mentor and driver, who in scoring the 1943 Hambletonian triumph provided the fourth of such honors for himself, his previous victories in the famed premier event being with Mary Reynolds in 1933, Rosalind in 1936, and The Ambassador in 1942. Thus in scoring his last two victories, the great trainer further gave to one owner, William H. Strang, the glory of owning Hambletonian victors in as many years.

LottaKash
06-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Don, a nice thx for the photo's of Harness Americana in Yesteryear....

I don't say it as often as I used to, but, I always read your Coffee Stuff, as well as all the other memorabilia and usuful to know facts about harness racing...I don't always say as much, so again, thx for "all" of it...

BTW, when I saw my first harness race, they were wearing those "silk-caps"....Soon after tho, they went to the MC racer type of headgear....

I miss the early days of harness racing the most....It was so exciting to me, just imagining that I was at the track, gambling on my opnion, whatever it was in the day...

best,

wilderness
06-02-2012, 02:23 PM
BTW, when I saw my first harness race, they were wearing those "silk-caps"....Soon after tho, they went to the MC racer type of headgear....

Your an old Geezer Kash ;)

The last year of the "soft hats" was 1957.
Beginning in 1958 Helmets were required.

Do you recall what track you saw the soft hat races at?
Any of the drivers?

LottaKash
06-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Your an old Geezer Kash ;)

The last year of the "soft hats" was 1957.
Beginning in 1958 Helmets were required.

Do you recall what track you saw the soft hat races at?
Any of the drivers?

Wow Don !...I ain't that old, am I ?....I guess it would depend on who is doing the counting, hunh ?...

I wasn't to get into into hoss' racin' for another 4years or so @17yrs, so now that I think of it, it wasn't at any major track....But, what I did see tho were guys wearing those silk hats at Goshen Historic Track, when we went "upair" from Jersey, for the 2-week annual stint of races featuring horses of the "Roaring Grand Circuit"...Plus the NY Sires Stakers....

Beer out of the galvanized tub n' all....right there at trackside...

Miss those journeys up the "Quickway"...

best,

wilderness
06-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I wasn't to get into into hoss' racin' for another 4years or so @17yrs

I'm just behind ya.
Saw my first races as a 14YO in 1965.

Miss those journeys up the "Quickway".

They'll be having their annual bash up there in less than 30 days.
Ya still have time to make plans.

LottaKash
06-02-2012, 11:04 PM
They'll be having their annual bash up there in less than 30 days.
Ya still have time to make plans.

Don, I would sure like to....Not this year, "again"....I just spent a month in Europe last month, and I'm still bearing the financial burden from it....

I had to "completely" drain my betting fund to accomplish the trip....Still, it was a hoot....Just about the best time anywhere from my life....Well worth the account depletion....I am glad it was there to take....

I've gotta save up now to get back on track....It is hard when you are on a fixed income....And, the missus just retired 2-mos ago, so we are adjusting to the changes...haha....

best,