PDA

View Full Version : The greatest of all time

Vengeance of Rain
05-31-2012, 05:59 PM
... and by that I mean greatest losing streaks.

I read about this a couple of weeks ago and thought is was a very cool thing for Glen Boss to do.

http://www.countryracing.com.au/news/crv/n_Superstar_Jockey_Glen_Boss_to_Ride_Australias_Wo rst_Racehorse.aspx

(For the sake of updating this the horse kept his record in tact and didn't win).

It got me thinking about losing streaks.

Everyone knows Zippy Chippy and his female counterpart, Dona Chepa.

Who else is there? Anyone know of great losers throughout history?

ArlJim78
05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
I went 12 years without cashing a ticket on the Kentucky Derby. Not sure how that ranks historically, it didn't feel that great to me I can tell you that.

HuggingTheRail
05-31-2012, 09:49 PM
In my 25+ years of following the races at Hastings, I think the current "streak" held by Action Thriller is the longest I have seen. This 8 year old maiden makes career start number 49 on Saturday... One of the amazing things about this horse is the odds it has gone off at in some of its races - can't believe its not 99-1 or more every time...

I know for a long time they wouldnt accept maiden entries over the age of 5 at Hst, but that fell by the wayside in favour of getting any entry they could....

wisconsin
05-31-2012, 10:22 PM
The Vainer lost 82 consecutive races in Chicago during the '80's.

BombsAway Bob
05-31-2012, 10:35 PM
... and by that I mean greatest losing streaks.

I read about this a couple of weeks ago and thought is was a very cool thing for Glen Boss to do.

http://www.countryracing.com.au/news/crv/n_Superstar_Jockey_Glen_Boss_to_Ride_Australias_Wo rst_Racehorse.aspx

(For the sake of updating this the horse kept his record in tact and didn't win).

It got me thinking about losing streaks.

Everyone knows Zippy Chippy and his female counterpart, Dona Chepa.

Who else is there? Anyone know of great losers throughout history?

Suffolk Downs had a longtime maiden,
aptly named TOUGH NUGGETS. Pretty Sure
was in the 0-for-60something territory.
DAN BUCCI used to do Suffolk Downs SPORTSCHANNEL RECAPS
(along with Mike Welsch), Nuggets was so bad he would joke,
"and $264 was thrown away on Tough Nuggets", when showing
full field by name & connections, BEFORE replay was shown!

sandpit
05-31-2012, 10:40 PM
Steve Cauthen lost 110 races in a row in California, less than a year after winning the Triple Crown.