PDA

View Full Version : Why that name?

mostpost
05-31-2012, 12:00 AM
I have been curious for some time about the rationale behind the user names on this board. Some of them seem obvious, but the reasons behind them may not be what I suppose. I would be interested in hearing from some of you as to why you chose the name you did. Did it come to you right away or did you have to think about it? Do you wish you had chosen a different name? Respond even if you think the reason is obvious.

I'll start.
"Post" is for the fact that I was employed at the United States Postal Service. It is not for posting as on an internet board. And despite what the conservatives believe it is not because I think like a post. I added "most" simply because it rhymes with post, not because I think my posts are the most. Although they are. :lol:

Dave Schwartz
05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
I always wanted to be named Hugo Dittfach.

mostpost
05-31-2012, 12:14 AM
I always wanted to be named Hugo Dittfach.
Ok wise guy some of them are obvious. :lol:

Dave Schwartz
05-31-2012, 12:15 AM
I knew you'd like that.

mostpost
05-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Talk about a guy without a life. I actually googled Hugo Dittfach. Did you know this?
http://www.horseracinghalloffame.com/jockeys/1983/Hugo_Dittfach.html
Imagine my surprise. :eek:

newtothegame
05-31-2012, 03:52 AM
~~~~~~another of the obvious ones here......:lol:

so.cal.fan
05-31-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm obvious.
I call myself So.Cal.Fan because bet only in So. Cal. at So. Cal. TB tracks.
Most So. Cal. Fans are college football fans.
I am also a U.S.C. fan.
I live in So. Cal. but often wish I did not! I'm no longer a fan of the place...Southern California. ;)

Tom
05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
I needed a name that was easy to spell.

It's me,

Alphonsislaus Dekewskivich!

TJDave
05-31-2012, 12:38 PM
It's me,

Alphonsislaus Dekewskivich!

Weren't you the governor of Illinois?

Lefty
05-31-2012, 12:49 PM
I was a left handed pitcher in school, so my friends called me Lefty. Pig simple.

Tom
05-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Good thing they didn't call you Homer! :D

Lefty
05-31-2012, 02:47 PM
:D :D :D
I did hit a few of those too.

Valuist
05-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Weren't you the governor of Illinois?

I don't believe Tom ever went to jail.

Robert Goren
05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Robert Goren is the main character in my favorite TV show, Law and Order Criminal Intent. The character is almost as crazy as I am.

ldiatone
05-31-2012, 03:18 PM
"ldiatone" im a chef. my hero Louis Diat chef of the carlton ritz hotel NYC wrote cookbooks and one for Gourmet years ago.
the inventor of "vichyssoise" most enjoy this soup hot.

badcompany
05-31-2012, 06:37 PM
I originally wanted to go with the nick "Dave Schwartz" but that was already taken;) , so I went with Bad Company because Paul Rodgers is my all-time favorite musical artist. The old timers have Sinatra. I have this guy:

tP4i8s76W4U

Marshall Bennett
05-31-2012, 08:00 PM
First and middle name. :cool:

RaceBookJoe
05-31-2012, 08:13 PM
My name is Joe and at the time i was at the racebook a few days a week.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-31-2012, 08:35 PM
i'm Steve. Back when Scott McMannis had his classes and the Handicapping Center at Hawthorne and Sportsmans (RIP), I used to attend his classes. I would bring my own trainer and or trainer/jockey stats to the center on the wekends, often in 2 5" binders, and would share the info with Scott and the gang. Later when I finally bought a laptop PC, I was able to gernerate stuff on the spot. That's why Scott decided to dub me the Stat Man. I also joined forces with him and am one of his stat men.

ElKabong
05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
always wanted to beat certain posters over the head with a guitar or somethin....

Red Knave
05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
It's the name of the first real longshot ($60+) that I ever sniffed out of the PP's. This was at WO in the early 70's and I had just moved 'up' from harness racing to t-breds. I think he moved back and forth from FL so Tom may remember him too (although I'm much older than Tom is ;) ).

Ocala Mike
05-31-2012, 09:42 PM
I was born in Brooklyn, but Greenpoint Hospital Mike doesn't seem to work.

nijinski
05-31-2012, 10:36 PM
I started on another board before I found PA , as Terpsichorist . I got too many pm's asking who it was. I actually met her in my teenybop years lol . Meadowlands backstretch.
Came here and took her sire's name , loved that crazy horse and the ballet dancer too. Just tweaked the spelling .

BTW many more know who Terpsichorist is now , thanks to Union Rags . But I'll keep Nijinsky.

BlueShoe
06-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Actually, I wanted to use my real name, Gaius Julius Caesar, but I was afraid that if I did people might think that I was nuts. :( ;) :)

JustRalph
06-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Whenever my wife would have her friends over i was always making some weird noises in the basement or doing something outrageous. My wife kept sayng to her friends

"that's just ralph"

One of my police buddies heard her say it a few times and the nick stuck

Dahoss9698
06-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Whenever my wife would have her friends over i was always making some weird noises in the basement or doing something outrageous. My wife kept sayng to her friends

"that's just ralph"

One of my police buddies heard her say it a few times and the nick stuck

Cool story bro.

riskman
06-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Cool story bro.

Who do you like in the Belmont bro ? Oops, sorry for the thread drift.
Whats your icky... nick name name derive from ? Com-on bro tell us a tail...tale.

Grits
06-02-2012, 12:06 AM
The description fit well and I've been one all my life.

http://www.gritsinc.com/GRITSexcerpt.html

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Cool story bro.Dahoss is too cool for school...

Dave Schwartz
06-02-2012, 01:47 AM
I originally wanted to go with the nick "Dave Schwartz" but that was already taken

I get that a lot.

:lol:

Track Collector
06-02-2012, 02:50 AM
Track Collector identifies one of my very favorite activities, and that is visiting race tracks. For now my "list" only includes those that run thoroughbred and/or quarter horses.

Any track visit will do, but not all are favored or equal. I really enjoy the small town and/or agricultural "fair" race meets, as they are like going back in time to when racing was enjoyed by the masses. Little by little they are disappearing, as it costs a lot of money to run them, and some places are not comfortable with the insurance risks.

I have a non-specific plan to visit all of the remaining racing venues, and when I hear that one might be in trouble, I try to get in a visit before they close the doors for good. Some of these places only run a day or two each year, and getting to them can be no small matter.

Two new TB/QH tracks that will be added to my list this year will be Sunflower Downs and Elko.

NJ Stinks
06-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Well, my name has nothing to do with the fact that Christie got elected.

A long time ago NJ residents passed a referendum allowing OTB's and ADW's. It took the state a ridiculously long time to get either off the ground. Around the same time period, I was pissed because the state didn't lift a finger to save Garden State Park. Finally, I just had enough of the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority and the NJ State Racing Commision. Political appointees who mostly couldn't care less about the horseracing industry IMO.

But now things have gotten better in NJ - mainly because I can bet from home. But I keep the username anyway. Just so people in various horseracing forums will know it's me.

wisconsin
06-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Just came to me, I guess. Did not think there was anybody from Wisconsin on these boards, but I was wrong. I know of several.....and found out that I live very close to stuball.