PDA

View Full Version : The Belmont and the price of tickets

GARY Z
05-30-2012, 06:07 AM
If you attermpt to buy seats, you will note the numerous seats
are being sold by Stub Hub, Ticketron and Centex at prices ranging from
$500-4,000 per seat!!

While I understand many seats were purchased by the public ,
I'm trying to understand how these"legitimate" scalpers were able to purchase the remaining CHOICE seats so quickly, and more importantly,
how the NY racing authorities are silent on this issue.

Grits
05-30-2012, 09:30 AM
What you're implying is that NYRA had all these empty, unsold seats and now NYRA's turned all of them over to scalpers for a thru the roof price in preferred grandstand and clubhouse. All empty. Why would those seats remain empty when they're the best seats in the house?

Honestly, for some of you -- apparently, you have the mind set "someone's dirty and I'm being screwed" every day of your lives. And NYRA's often the perp.

Do you have any idea when seat information is mailed out, when requests are made by reply and how early the seats are sold? Any clue?

I think you're upset, or at least your post indicates so, because you didn't buy seats for the Belmont and now you don't want to pay the price that they are selling for. And I'm sorry for you in this way.

Still, do you really believe, though, that they want the governor all over their @$$ with something like you're implying on top of the problems they're already having? NOBODY WOULD.

I know someone who sold their two tickets and made $1800 in less than three days.

There is no conspiracy. No one's remaining silent. :rolleyes:

Saratoga_Mike
05-30-2012, 09:54 AM
I've been to the Belmont three times. One time I purchased tickets in advance on ebay (Big Brown's yr); the other two times I bought tickets at or below face value (including Funny Cide's race) from a scalper right outside the entrance to the track. I'm going this yr and I plan on buying from an on-track scalper. My bet is I'll get a much, much better deal than from any ticket broker or on ebay. This is also true for the Derby, Preakness and especially the Breeders' Cup.

Zippy Chippy
05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
I've been to the Belmont three times. One time I purchased tickets in advance on ebay (Big Brown's yr); the other two times I bought tickets at or below face value (including Funny Cide's race) from a scalper right outside the entrance to the track. I'm going this yr and I plan on buying from an on-track scalper. My bet is I'll get a much, much better deal than from any ticket broker or on ebay. This is also true for the Derby, Preakness and especially the Breeders' Cup.

Couldn't agree more. I've been to 3 triple crown tries, and learned my lesson the first time. There will be tons of seats available and believe it or not you can find great seats for way under $100. THe SMarty Jones year which was very popular I got 2 seats from a scalper for i think around $120 for the pair. We were between the 16th pole and the wire... Which made it even more heartbreaking to see Birdsone pass right in front of us.

rtrack
05-30-2012, 02:49 PM
I figured this is as good a spot as any for my first post

I have been to every Belmont Stakes since 1985. Between 1988 and 2000 I annually purchased 75 seats for the Belmont Day (in those days the price was either $5 or $10 depending on location)--and threw a huge party in the backyard. As I got older and unable to lug the tons of food and drink required to entertain the 150 or so people who would annually show up for my party, and when the price of tickets went up to $100 (it's now $120 per), I cut back to 10 seats. I received my tickets for this year's Belmont two days before the Preakness.

My seats this year are in Section 3N. I checked stub hub and noticed that hardly any of the "best" seats, such as mine, are for sale on stub hub. I have to believe that the "best" seats have been allocated to people like me who buy every year (and have a NYRA ADW account) and are most likely to actually attend the races.

I have no quarrel with those who seek to profit on their tickets--although it's not likely somehting that I would ever consider doing--indeed, in the past 10 or so years I often had an extra that I couldn't get rid of when the triple crown wasn't on the line

Grits
05-30-2012, 03:38 PM
My seats this year are in Section 3N. I checked stub hub and noticed that hardly any of the "best" seats, such as mine, are for sale on stub hub. I have to believe that the "best" seats have been allocated to people like me who buy every year (and have a NYRA ADW account) and are most likely to actually attend the races.

We're in the same boat, and the price, like you say, now tremendous. I, too, have no problem if someone wants to pay the price--let them. I don't care. I wouldn't sell mine. I don't, though, while I go every year, feel sorry for those who begin a scramble for lodging and tickets, after they cross the wire in the Preakness. They choose to only attend when a TC is on the line. Many only want to attend The Belmont and don't wager. Pay and watch one day--hoping to see history made.

To me, this is a fair weather fan, (maybe not even a fan of the sport) many simply want to be able to say, "I was there."

I love every afternoon I'm at Belmont Park. Any day they're running, especially when there the week of The Belmont. :)

Vengeance of Rain
05-30-2012, 04:10 PM
They choose to only attend when a TC is on the line.
Why is this a problem?

I live across the country and so in order to even think about going would have to deal with taking off from work, airfare, hotel, tickets...

Due to family reasons there is no way I can attend but yes I consider it when the Triple Crown is on the line.

I see nothing wrong with that nor do I see anything wrong with people who otherwise don't care wanting to see histroy being made.

The sport needs more bettors, more fans, more positive exposure, more of everything. It is both asinine and supercilious to say they're fair weather friends when we should be doing the opposite and welcoming them.

Cardus
05-30-2012, 04:26 PM
If you attermpt to buy seats, you will note the numerous seats
are being sold by Stub Hub, Ticketron and Centex at prices ranging from
$500-4,000 per seat!!

While I understand many seats were purchased by the public ,
I'm trying to understand how these"legitimate" scalpers were able to purchase the remaining CHOICE seats so quickly, and more importantly,
how the NY racing authorities are silent on this issue.

Gary, people who purchased seats are allowed to sell their seats at a site like StubHub.

Cardus
05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
We're in the same boat, and the price, like you say, now tremendous. I, too, have no problem if someone wants to pay the price--let them. I don't care. I wouldn't sell mine. I don't, though, while I go every year, feel sorry for those who begin a scramble for lodging and tickets, after they cross the wire in the Preakness. They choose to only attend when a TC is on the line. Many only want to attend The Belmont and don't wager. Pay and watch one day--hoping to see history made.

To me, this is a fair weather fan, (maybe not even a fan of the sport) many simply want to be able to say, "I was there."

I love every afternoon I'm at Belmont Park. Any day they're running, especially when there the week of The Belmont. :)

"Dismissive" of such people came to mind for me, but Vengeance of Rain's "supercilious" was phenomenal.

Grits
05-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm sorry that you suggest my comments to be asinine and supercilious, this is your opinion. But too, you're the same person who complained yesterday about my posts concerning the TC and Doug O'Neill. Maybe I'm having trouble typing anything to suit you. I'll just have to deal with that going forward. And that's ok, I can hang.

I didn't state that I had a problem with anything or anyone, I stated that I didn't feel sorry for them.

My reason is because these . . .
I see nothing wrong with that nor do I see anything wrong with people who otherwise don't care wanting to see histroy being made.
seldom morph into these.
The sport needs more bettors, more fans, more positive exposure, more of everything. It is both asinine and supercilious to say they're fair weather friends when we should be doing the opposite and welcoming them.
I welcome anyone to the sport. I've taken friends who are not racing fans to Triple Crown races and to Breeders' Cup. But, no. One who comes one day a year hoping to see history made? I don't concentrate on making fans or bettors out of them. I'm sorry. I don't live across country, but I live a good 9 to 10 hour drive south (depending upon traffic). I pay the price for gas, for hotel, for dining, and for tickets just as yourself or anyone else. Not a bit of difference.

Grits
05-30-2012, 05:51 PM
"Dismissive" of such people came to mind for me, but Vengeance of Rain's "supercilious" was phenomenal.

You're dismissed. Go to hell. :lol:

highnote
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
My advice is to wait until the second or third race if you can't find good seats earlier. The Belmont Park grandstand can fit something like 80,000 people. Everyone can get in.

If it is a close race when they turn for home and come down the stretch the sound will be like the roar of a jet engine. It is an amazing spectacle to witness.

I've been there for two or three Belmont Stakes races where the TC was on the line. I don't know that I'd ever want to go again, but I'm glad I experienced it.

Tom
05-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Got my seat already.
Nice comfy Lazy-boy, in Sec. 1A, air conditioned, free beer and snacks, unobstructed view.......and pause/rewind on the action, even slo-mo.

Striker
05-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Got my seat already.
Nice comfy Lazy-boy, in Sec. 1A, air conditioned, free beer and snacks, unobstructed view.......and pause/rewind on the action, even slo-mo.
Hope you didn't overpay for that seat :)

rtrack
05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
one of the reasons i don't go to the track as much anymore is there is a lot to be said for that row 1A

On Preakness Day I had the Pimlico feed playing through my laptop and both nbc/nyra network on the big screen tv

the laptop plays a dual role as a portable otb as well

I also now have a 4g wireless modem that enabled me to watch the live feed from CD on Derby Day in the back seat of the car while the family was driving to a wedding in the Hamptons

The Hawk
05-31-2012, 09:28 PM
one of the reasons i don't go to the track as much anymore is there is a lot to be said for that row 1A

On Preakness Day I had the Pimlico feed playing through my laptop and both nbc/nyra network on the big screen tv

I also now have a 4g wireless modem that enabled me to watch the live feed from CD on Derby Day in the back seat of the car while the family was driving to a wedding in the Hamptons

HDTV makes it easy to stay in 1A, too, a big reason why I don't go to many sporting events anymore. All the aggravation and expense doesn't seem worth it anymore when you have a crystal-clear view and all the amenities that you and Tom mentioned. Yes, I've enjoyed going to the Belmont in the past, and that's a great experience, but all the conveniences make it a close call as to which is a better experience, even if there's a Triple Crown winner. Same theory applies to big games.

GARY Z
06-01-2012, 06:01 AM
[QUOTE=Grits]What you're implying is that NYRA had all these empty, unsold seats and now NYRA's turned all of them over to scalpers for a thru the roof price in preferred grandstand and clubhouse.

Grits:

First, my understanding is that once IHA crossed the finish line in the Preakness,Ticketron, Centex ,StubZHub etc swooped in ala Hedge funds
and nailed the remaining seats for 6/9.No, I am not implying NYRA waited
for these companies to purchase the tickets, I"m stating they stupidly
and arrogantly allowed this act to happen and screwed the general
public and themselves.PS, NYRA could have charged higher prices
for the seats, but not at the #'s I'm seeing, and , in effect, made more
money for themselves as against allowing these companies to profit
from the NYRA's biggest event this year!!!!

If you think that's cool, and seats are going as high as 4k a seat, you should recommend to Mr Cuomo to reinstate the NYRA Board.

PS, in the past I had open Seats in the Preferred sections of the grandstand
which I sold to strangers at the exact price I paid for them.

BY the way, please define where these ticket comapnies are
on other days of the week or stakes races at NYRA tracks?

Sure, there are patrons who try to make a profit, that is part of the
game for anyone looking to see this event late in the game.BUT, when
these large ticket companies are allowed to rule this event,I can
truly understand why the NYRA board was dismissed .

OTM Al
06-01-2012, 06:58 AM
[QUOTE=Grits]What you're implying is that NYRA had all these empty, unsold seats and now NYRA's turned all of them over to scalpers for a thru the roof price in preferred grandstand and clubhouse.

Grits:

First, my understanding is that once IHA crossed the finish line in the Preakness,Ticketron, Centex ,StubZHub etc swooped in ala Hedge funds

If you think that's cool, and seats are going as high as 4k a seat, you should recommend to Mr Cuomo to reinstate the NYRA Board.

PS, in the past I had open Seats in the Preferred sections of the grandstand
which I sold to strangers at the exact price I paid for them.

BY the way, please define where these ticket comapnies are
on other days of the week or stakes races at NYRA tracks?

Sure, there are patrons who try to make a profit, that is part of the
game for anyone looking to see this event late in the game.BUT, when
these large ticket companies are allowed to rule this event,I can
truly understand why the NYRA board was dismissed .

This happens for any major sporting event. You also seem to imply NYRA should have started charging more than the face value of their tickets. You really think that wouldnt have violated ticket scalping laws?

Dahoss9698
06-01-2012, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=GARY Z]

This happens for any major sporting event. You also seem to imply NYRA should have started charging more than the face value of their tickets. You really think that wouldnt have violated ticket scalping laws?

Why even waste your time? He doesn't even know what he's complaining about. He just wants to complain.

Grits
06-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Again, I'm sorry, but not only do I believe your "understanding" to be wrong, I believe your "understanding", ie "information" to be flawed.

As Cardus told you, one can sell their tickets thru these brokers. As Al told you--you really believe NYRA is going to jack the price of their own tickets thru the roof and violate scalping laws?

I hope you go and enjoy the day, whatever comes of your ticket situation.

OTM Al
06-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Why even waste your time? He doesn't even know what he's complaining about. He just wants to complain.

I don't know. Sometimes you see something so stupefying you just can't help but say something. You just don't want to believe someone actually blurted out what you just heard. Lot of that in another thread. What do you think, orange tshirts to signal the desire that people at least try to think before they open their mouths?

Saratoga_Mike
06-01-2012, 09:29 AM
The ticket brokers ALWAYS over buy. Take advantage of it. Wait and buy your tickets outside the gates on race day. You will pay face vaule or lower. There's nothing to complain about here. And there will be plenty of selection, from premium seats (close to the wire) to not-so-premium seats. Anyway, there aren't too many bad seats at Belmont from my limited experience.

Dahoss9698
06-01-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't know. Sometimes you see something so stupefying you just can't help but say something. You just don't want to believe someone actually blurted out what you just heard. Lot of that in another thread. What do you think, orange tshirts to signal the desire that people at least try to think before they open their mouths?

Orange works for me.

FenceBored
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Orange works for me.

You know, we agree.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31poy7D%2BbYL._SX270_.jpg (http://www.goodiesforkiddies.com/Annoying-Orange-Short-Sleeve-Medium/dp/B007BWSRSC?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle)

That's perfect.

Grits
06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
If this was going--on a Saratoga giveaway afternoon? The line would be 5 across, all the way down Union Avenue. Anything for free, they'll come in by car, truck, bus or motor home.

Dahoss9698
06-01-2012, 12:40 PM
You know, we agree.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31poy7D%2BbYL._SX270_.jpg (http://www.goodiesforkiddies.com/Annoying-Orange-Short-Sleeve-Medium/dp/B007BWSRSC?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle)

That's perfect.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/confessions-animal-hoarding/psychology-of-a-hoarder-406x258.jpg

Saratoga_Mike
06-01-2012, 12:58 PM
DH, why the repeated references to cats? Sorry if I missed it.

tucker6
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM

who said technology was bad! If you really watch and play the horses from the back seat of a car heading to a wedding in the Hamptons, then your life is okay. :ThmbUp:

FenceBored
06-01-2012, 01:50 PM
DH, why the repeated references to cats? Sorry if I missed it.

For some reason he thinks that if he uses his usual "you're an apple" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Annoying_Orange)around here it won't have the same effect.

Valuist
06-01-2012, 01:58 PM
The ticket brokers ALWAYS over buy. Take advantage of it. Wait and buy your tickets outside the gates on race day. You will pay face vaule or lower. There's nothing to complain about here. And there will be plenty of selection, from premium seats (close to the wire) to not-so-premium seats. Anyway, there aren't too many bad seats at Belmont from my limited experience.

You are 100% correct. Sporting events and concerts have had a very rough year in the secondary market. Just be patient and wait for these prices to fall.

Dahoss9698
06-01-2012, 02:08 PM
For some reason he thinks that if he uses his usual "you're an apple" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Annoying_Orange)around here it won't have the same effect.

Good thing you included the link. Humor usually works if people know what you are talking about.

And, as I have told you before, I appreciate the constant attention. Unfortunately for you I prefer women that bathe and groom themselves. I'm weird like that.

FenceBored
06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Good thing you included the link. Humor usually works if people know what you are talking about.

And, as I have told you before, I'm weird.

FTFY

Dahoss9698
06-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Last word?

FenceBored
06-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Saratoga_Mike, I guess that means my answer was correct.

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Saratoga_Mike, I guess that means my answer was correct.How about we end this siliness now...and not try and extend it...thanks much...

Storm Cadet
06-01-2012, 06:55 PM
My question for the NYRA ticket office is this:

Right after the Preakness was over, NYRA announced that there were seats available for purchase both at AQU and Belmont. When I called their customer service office, I requested the price seating configuration. They pointed me to their web site which showed available seats and prices.

I then called back and asked if we had to pay track admission on Sunday to purchase tickets. They answered no which was great news. My next question was could we choose the seat location from the available allottment of remaining seats. Their answer was NO, pay us now and we will mail seats. The client has no say in the seat selection. I explained to them that the decision as to quantity and quality of my purchase depends on location!

My question to them was if they had the hard tickets in their ticket box office, then WHY could they not make the transaction (select and pay) just like they do on other days? If you go to any sporting event and go their box office, they tell you available seat locations and you pay accordingly. Broadway plays, concerts all let you select if the transaction is done through a live ticket office person.(Yankee Stadium, Citifield, The Garden all have this procedure). Again, I'm not talking about some huge event that is 8-12 months away where people send in $ in the hopes of seats like the Super Bowl or Final Four, its an event that is not sold out and hard tickets are in their possession in their box office.

Are they so understaffed or get caught unprepared for live sales even when they announced it on their web site...AND they had the hard tickets in hand or is this just a case of NYRA cutting a deal with Ticketmaster!

GARY Z
06-02-2012, 06:31 AM
[QUOTE=OTM Al]

great comment, I'll match my wits with you any day, and my experience
as a particiapnt in this game rather idiots such as you who sit back
and accept this scalping scenario which further diminshes a
shrinking audience.

Dahoss9698
06-02-2012, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=Dahoss9698]

great comment, I'll match my wits with you any day, and my experience
as a particiapnt in this game rather idiots such as you who sit back
and accept this scalping scenario which further diminshes a
shrinking audience.

You struggle with writing a coherent sentence, but you want to match wits? Too funny.

Three different people took the time to explain to you, why your "thinking" was flawed. You totally ignored it and kept going with your nonsensical argument.

Hey, keep fighting that fight though. :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
06-02-2012, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=GARY Z]

You struggle with writing a coherent sentence, but you want to match wits? Too funny.

Three different people took the time to explain to you, why your "thinking" was flawed. You totally ignored it and kept going with your nonsensical argument.

Hey, keep fighting that fight though. :ThmbUp:

As with all else from the national debt to the AIDS virus, ticket brokers are NYRA's fault.

Indulto
06-02-2012, 11:32 AM
As with all else from the national debt to the AIDS virus, ticket brokers are NYRA's fault.Bruce Springsteen was able to make certain that his fan's weren't scalped in similar fashion. Why can't other forms of entertainment do the same?

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Bruce Springsteen was able to make certain that his fan's weren't scalped in similar fashion. Why can't other forms of entertainment do the same?Call Bruce and ask him if he'd like to run racing...or maybe, have Cuomo call him and ask if he'd like to fill the CEO role at NYRA...I'm sure he'd appreciate the pay cut... :lol:

Dahoss9698
06-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Bruce Springsteen was able to make certain that his fan's weren't scalped in similar fashion. Why can't other forms of entertainment do the same?

Did his fans wear the same color t shirt and protest outside of ticket offices?

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Bruce Springsteen was able to make certain that his fan's weren't scalped in similar fashion. Why can't other forms of entertainment do the same?NYRA has been selling Belmont Stakes tickets since at least March, if I recall correctly. Anyone could have gotten any number of seats they desired, AT FACE VALUE, complete with a request for preferred sections and seating...

BUT, these "fans" weren't really interested until a Triple Crown was on the line, thus these fans have to face the basic free market principle of INCREASED DEMAND and thus HIGHER PRICES on the open market.

Just sayin'....

Indulto
06-02-2012, 12:13 PM
NYRA has been selling Belmont Stakes tickets since at least March, if I recall correctly. Anyone could have gotten any number of seats they desired, AT FACE VALUE, complete with a request for preferred sections and seating...

BUT, these "fans" weren't really interested until a Triple Crown was on the line, thus these fans have to face the basic free market principle of INCREASED DEMAND and thus HIGHER PRICES on the open market.

Just sayin'....Very good point.

I would prefer, under such circumstances, that the track operator make more money from a modest increase, than scalpers preventing participation by potential new horseplayers.

OTM Al
06-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Very good point.

I would prefer, under such circumstances, that the track operator make more money from a modest increase, than scalpers preventing participation by potential new horseplayers.

So you think people getting tickets from NYRA aren't going to say anything when they are charged $150 for a ticket with a $120 face value? Oh I know, they can wait til after the Preakness to put the tickets on sale! Better put on your green tshirt and write another letter to Mayor McCheese.

Indulto
06-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Who is Mayor McCheese and what does he/she have to do with NYRA threads?

Dahoss9698
06-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Instead of deflection....answer the perfectly reasonable question.

If someone was charged $150 by NYRA, for a ticket with a face value of $120, don't you think there would be a backlash?

Grits
06-02-2012, 12:37 PM
NYRA has been selling Belmont Stakes tickets since at least March, if I recall correctly. Anyone could have gotten any number of seats they desired, AT FACE VALUE, complete with a request for preferred sections and seating...

Just sayin'....

This is correct. And Storm C, bud, at the time when the seat request order form arrived I'm not able to tell them, "I want THIS seat in THIS section on THIS row". I could only request the section I wanted, the area, given the ticket price I was paying.

With this noted, why should you be able to walk up to a window, pick out your seat when the TC is on the line now, after the Preakness--when I was not able to do the same month's in advance?

As I said, I give them my Visa--my money--in the Winter. My ticket comes in the mail in May. It is, then, that I learn where my seat is. As one who loves The Belmont, I've gone year after year for a decade now, Triple Crown or not? And I've found that NYRA is very good to its returning patrons.

Indulto, honey, you need to give the bitching some thought, you're becoming absolutely chronic. Its like you're living for this stuff. NYRA couldn't do anything to suit you if hell froze over. :faint:

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2012, 12:45 PM
If I read Storm Cadet's post correctly, he was told he wouldn't have to pay admission to get to the ticket office and buy a ticket the day of the Belmont Stakes?

First off, there aren't any tickets available anymore, are there? I thought they all "sold out" within minutes...

And if there are seats available, there's no way you're not going to have to pay admission to get into the Park without a previously purchased ticket.

Maybe they'll knock the admission price off your ticket when you get to the window, but you're going to have to pay admission to get into the park unless you already have a ticket...unless they moved the ticket office outside the park, which they haven't done... :lol:

FenceBored
06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
So you think people getting tickets from NYRA aren't going to say anything when they are charged $150 for a ticket with a $120 face value? Oh I know, they can wait til after the Preakness to put the tickets on sale! Better put on your green tshirt and write another letter to Mayor McCheese.

What would be the problem with having an advance ticket price of $120 (if purchased before 6 pm Preakness day) on a ticket with a $150 face value? Most people are used to the idea of a discount for buying in advance. You give the early purchasers a break, the track gets the benefit if demand increases due to a TC chance, and they can run a 'sale' if someone other than the Derby winner takes the Preakness.

OTM Al
06-02-2012, 01:06 PM

Why he's the mayor of fantasy land and the great benevolent dictator who will fix all things in the way you see fit.

Grits
06-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Nah, the bus stop's right out front. They can't move the ticket office out there on Hempstead. How would all those folks get home? :lol:

OTM Al
06-02-2012, 01:09 PM
What would be the problem with having an advance ticket price of $120 (if purchased before 6 pm Preakness day) on a ticket with a $150 face value? Most people are used to the idea of a discount for buying in advance. You give the early purchasers a break, the track gets the benefit if demand increases due to a TC chance, and they can run a 'sale' if someone other than the Derby winner takes the Preakness.

Here's a simpler answer. Sell them for the list price and when they are gone, they are gone.

Grits
06-02-2012, 01:12 PM

No Fence, NYRA will give away tshirts, chairs, umbrellas, and tote bags. But, they ain't in the business of giving away money aka discounts on pricing.:lol:

Dahoss9698
06-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Here's a simpler answer. Sell them for the list price and when they are gone, they are gone.

yeah, that makes a lot of sense, but what would people complain about?

Grits
06-02-2012, 01:42 PM
yeah, that makes a lot of sense, but what would people complain about?

The WEATHER. Which, of course, they couldn't do a single thing about. Still, it wouldn't stop the complaints.

Tom
06-02-2012, 02:56 PM

There you go, sticking common sense into things again. ;)

What are the odds that the great complainer even bought a ticket in the first place?

FenceBored
06-02-2012, 03:03 PM

That works, too. But, they could certainly sell under a dual pricing arrangement based on when the tickets were purchased without running afoul of ticket scalping laws, if they wanted to capture some of the extra money generated by the increased demand.

FenceBored
06-02-2012, 03:04 PM
No Fence, NYRA will give away tshirts, chairs, umbrellas, and tote bags. But, they ain't in the business of giving away money aka discounts on pricing.:lol:

Or rebates to NYRA Rewards members. :D

Indulto
06-02-2012, 03:18 PM
... As one who loves The Belmont, I've gone year after year for a decade now, Triple Crown or not? And I've found that NYRA is very good to its returning patrons.

Indulto, honey, you need to give the bitching some thought, you're becoming absolutely chronic. Its like you're living for this stuff. NYRA couldn't do anything to suit you if hell froze over. :faint:Grits, my love, I hope you’re not jumping on Al’s band wagon just because you’ve become buddies. You always gave me the impression that you thought for yourself.

My response to him in this thread was not against NYRA, but rather HIS chronic deflection and dismissal of anything that reflects other than praise of, or appreciation for, NYRA.

Yes it took some doing on Springsteen’s part, and I believe more people than not would regard it as an admirable effort worth emulating, but the dismissive one gave it his usual treatment simply because I was the one to bring it up.

Also, because it is your opinion that still matters to me, when I am critical about something involving NYRA, it is not the entity I find objectionable, but rather it is its leadership – executives and board members – that I hold responsible. Excuse me if I’m optimistic that the situation will improve without some of the former decision makers.

I’m glad that you and others continue to enjoy attending the races in NY, and I envy your opportunity to view the upcoming TC attempt live. I hope the day comes off without a hitch and that IHA emerges victorious. I think NY’s collective system for operating and regulating racing is superior to that in CA, but I believe that the things about racing that need changing nationwide won’t occur if racing’s customers keep silent and allow the leadership to keep ignoring those without whom they would not be employed.

Now, if you’re going to continue criticizing my involvement here on topics related to NYRA, I hope you’ll be as specific and independent as possible. Surely you’ll give it as much thought as you suggested that I do. Keep flying like an angel and don't start buzzing around meaninglessly like a DaHossFly.:jump:

Good luck on Saturday.
I

Dahoss9698
06-02-2012, 04:11 PM
All that longwinded bullshit and yet you still can't answer a simple, direct question.

You're not interested in conversation. That much is obvious. You're not interested in change. You just want to whine.

Grits
06-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Grits, my love, I hope you’re not jumping on Al’s band wagon just because you’ve become buddies. You always gave me the impression that you thought for yourself.

No, Indulto. I always think for myself--be it right, wrong, good, bad, ugly, devilish, or angelic. I may come out smelling like a rose. I may come out knee deep in horse manure. Either way, its my doing. My thinking. I'm wrong a lot, here, and try to come back and state so. .... But too, life is short and I ain't gonna spend but so much time arguing. Its hard for me to argue with pixels. I'd rather be having fun and laughing with those around me.

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Also, because it is your opinion that still matters to me, when I am critical about something involving NYRA, it is not the entity I find objectionable, but rather it is its leadership – executives and board members – that I hold responsible. Excuse me if I’m optimistic that the situation will improve without some of the former decision makers.With the state digging its collective hooks even further into NY racing via this recent "power grab," I can virtually guarantee you "the situation" will not improve.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.popeater.com/media/2010/12/situation.jpg

Storm Cadet
06-03-2012, 02:49 AM
@SJU5 You don't need to pay admission. Applications are available at the clubhouse booth. You can't select seat location.

PA here is the pasted reply from NYRA...this was on May 20th when seats were announced as still available. They sold them at both aqu and Bel that Sunday .

Grits...as I said, NYRA only had a few unsold tickets in their possession. Maybe a couple of hundred. They would not even tell you if the pair you wanted were even in the same section. Could have been single locations.

Even if they are computer printed tickets, would it not be easier to have the patrons line up at a ticket window. Patron asks for a pair, ticket office staffer says, I have 2 in sec 5 row 3! Patron says I'll take them. Bada Bing, transaction complete? Instead of here's a form, fill it out, give me cash, and have somebody locate the tix, process orders, then mail them out?
We are only talking the remaining tix, not the 50,000 up for presale.

Grits
06-03-2012, 07:03 AM
SC, I know. I understand what you're saying. Why should things be so complex. Still, I hope you got tickets and I hope to see you at the track sometime in the next few days, maybe even before Belmont Day. You've been missed.

@SJU5 You don't need to pay admission. Applications are available at the clubhouse booth. You can't select seat location.

PA here is the pasted reply from NYRA...this was on May 20th when seats were announced as still available. They sold them at both aqu and Bel that Sunday .

Grits...as I said, NYRA only had a few unsold tickets in their possession. Maybe a couple of hundred. They would not even tell you if the pair you wanted were even in the same section. Could have been single locations.

Even if they are computer printed tickets, would it not be easier to have the patrons line up at a ticket window. Patron asks for a pair, ticket office staffer says, I have 2 in sec 5 row 3! Patron says I'll take them. Bada Bing, transaction complete? Instead of here's a form, fill it out, give me cash, and have somebody locate the tix, process orders, then mail them out?
We are only talking the remaining tix, not the 50,000 up for presale.

FenceBored
06-03-2012, 07:31 AM
Why he's the mayor of fantasy land and the great benevolent dictator who will fix all things in the way you see fit.

So, he's Mayor Bloomberg?

Indulto
06-03-2012, 09:02 AM
With the state digging its collective hooks even further into NY racing via this recent "power grab," I can virtually guarantee you "the situation" will not improve.Your opinion is duly noted, but I don’t recognize the accompanying photograph. If there is an implied message involved, please provide a direct link if you’re unable to express it in your own words.

Indulto
06-03-2012, 09:25 AM
No, Indulto. I always think for myself--be it right, wrong, good, bad, ugly, devilish, or angelic. I may come out smelling like a rose. I may come out knee deep in horse manure. Either way, its my doing. My thinking. I'm wrong a lot, here, and try to come back and state so. .... But too, life is short and I ain't gonna spend but so much time arguing. Its hard for me to argue with pixels. I'd rather be having fun and laughing with those around me.Grits, Grits, Gritsie, So long
Grits, Grits, Gritsie, Belong
Life’s too short
To argue with pixels
But long enough
To trash ‘em
And join in
While friends bash ‘em

Grits, Grits, Gritsie, Good Bye
Grits, Grits, Gritsie, go fly
Now that you’ve started
Playing their game
That lovin’ feelin’s
No longer the same
But in honesty
There can be no shame

So Gritsie, Bye Bye

Grits
06-03-2012, 10:04 AM
What can I say but that I'm sorry you feel this way, Indulto. Darlin', I wish you would fly east sometime. Its funny how all of these things argued seem to melt away when we're side by side, face to face sharing the game we love.:(

Storm Cadet
06-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Grits,

I will probably stop by Thus or Fri.

SC

Indulto
06-03-2012, 10:47 AM
What can I say but that I'm sorry you feel this way, Indulto. Darlin', I wish you would fly east sometime. Its funny how all of these things argued seem to melt away when we're side by side, face to face sharing the game we love.:(No need to wear the color blue, young lady. Just as some here grieve the passing of the Old NYRA, I was just mournin' the Old Grits. I'll come to grips with new one, eventually.

Be careful what you wish for, though. Like Hannibal crossing the Alps, Indulto re-crossimg the rockies might be a disaster. :cool:

Grits
06-03-2012, 10:53 AM
No need to wear the color blue, young lady. Just as some here grieve the passing of the Old NYRA, I was just mournin' the Old Grits. I'll come to grips with new one, eventually.

Be careful what you wish for, though. Like Hannibal crossing the Alps, Indulto re-crossimg the rockies might be a disaster. :cool:

No. It wouldn't be. Not at all.

Grits
06-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Grits,

I will probably stop by Thus or Fri.

SC

Good. See you, clubhouse side of grandstand, or paddock. ;)

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2012, 02:38 AM
Your opinion is duly noted, but I don’t recognize the accompanying photograph. If there is an implied message involved, please provide a direct link if you’re unable to express it in your own words.[/color]You're too old...hell, I have never watched Jersey Shore either...type "Situation" into Google images...I was just having a bit of fun...

Shelby
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
You're too old...hell, I have never watched Jersey Shore either...type "Situation" into Google images...I was just having a bit of fun...

For the record, I'm 37 and I didn't know who it was, either. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
06-05-2012, 01:44 AM
For the record, I'm 37 and I didn't know who it was, either. :lol:I'm 43 and I knew, and I have never watched the show...go figure...

nijinski
06-05-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm 43 and I knew, and I have never watched the show...go figure...
I'm sure they've heard of Snookie .lol .

sammy the sage
06-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Seems the O.P.'s thoughts WERE right....yet he caught MUCH flak here...wonder if they'll be ANY apologies forth coming... :faint:

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-stakes-tickets-get-big-markup-online

Grits
06-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Seems the O.P.'s thoughts WERE right....yet he caught MUCH flak here...wonder if they'll be ANY apologies forth coming... :faint:

No. Sammy, I'm sorry I feel no apology to those who only want a ticket for the final leg of the "on the line" Triple Crown.

OTM Al
06-07-2012, 06:53 AM

Apologies for what?

Dahoss9698
06-07-2012, 07:54 AM

You would think someone who calls themselves a sage would get something right......ever.

Still waiting for that.

sammy the sage
06-07-2012, 08:28 AM
You would think someone who calls themselves a sage would get something right......ever.

Still waiting for that.

:lol: :p

Striker
06-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Guess what is going to happen to the price of tickets now.....

precisionk
06-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Firesale on tickets. I wonder how low they will go.

jdhanover
06-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Firesale on tickets. I wonder how low they will go.

free...i bet

Indulto
06-08-2012, 01:47 PM
So will some here now give NYRA credit for competence in unloading all those advance tickets on fans thirsting for a TC winner, or has the scalping that has already occurred become even more egregious as a result of IHA's injury?

sammy the sage
06-08-2012, 02:11 PM
guess they figure if they wait...people will decide to still go...if FAR enough in THEIR planning..

this as of THE time of MY post... :faint:

Robert Fischer
06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
guess they figure if they wait...people will decide to still go...if FAR enough in THEIR planning..

this as of THE time of MY post... :faint:

http://nyra.com/belmont/stories/June082012b.shtml

“He is fit and ready to go and we are just trying to let him bring as much energy to the table tomorrow as possible,” O’Neill said. “We thought giving him an easy day the day before would be a good move. He stayed with coach Lava Man just to keep everything off-speed. I was very pleased with it. Perfect. We are ready to roll.”

FenceBored
06-08-2012, 03:10 PM
http://nyra.com/belmont/stories/June082012b.shtml

“He is fit and ready to go and we are just trying to let him bring as much energy to the table tomorrow as possible,” O’Neill said. “We thought giving him an easy day the day before would be a good move. He stayed with coach Lava Man just to keep everything off-speed. I was very pleased with it. Perfect. We are ready to roll.”

But, wait there's a newer story.
Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner I’ll Have Another was withdrawn from Saturday’s 144th running of the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes and retired, a little more than 24 hours before his attempt to become the first horse in 34 years to win the Triple Crown.
-- http://nyra.com/belmont/stories/June082012d.shtml

Robert Fischer
06-08-2012, 03:11 PM
don't think there was any conspiracy, it takes time to get a story up

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2012, 04:26 PM
don't think there was any conspiracy, it takes time to get a story upAs long as certain personalities roam the 'net, there will always be conspiracies...

Not only was this news all over ESPN, CNN, hell, even the MARKETWATCH.COM website, Sammy the Sage thinks that just because it wasn't up on the NYRA site in time to suit his desires, that means nobody knew about it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And they'd all be showing up tomorrow, paying NYRA their parking and admission fees, only to be ASTONISHED to learn IHA was out of the race...all because it wasn't up on the NYRA site in time... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luckily for Sammy, it's up now...I guess NYRA snared enough suckers who checked between the hours of 11:30 and 2:30 and have gone to sleep already.... :rolleyes:

Tom
06-08-2012, 05:04 PM
NYRA planned all this just to be able to sell all the tickets to the on line scalpers.
O'Neill gets 15%.

Smart move, NYRA.......tip o' the hat to the Marketing Group!
It was Lava Man working out this week, not IHA.

Beautiful!

:rolleyes:

JustRalph
06-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Fox news did a story where Shepard Smith asked if the horse would go to the Glue Factory, he did it kind joking........... :bang:

iceknight
06-09-2012, 01:58 AM
NYRA planned all this just to be able to sell all the tickets to the on line scalpers.
O'Neill gets 15%.

Smart move, NYRA.......tip o' the hat to the Marketing Group!
It was Lava Man working out this week, not IHA.

Beautiful!

:rolleyes:you forgot to add the futures *sold* at Vegas.