PDA

View Full Version : FTS at Stakes races

iceknight
05-29-2012, 02:24 PM
How often do you see that happening and that FTS going on to win the stakes race?

I have seen (charts) maidens winning stakes races, but when I came across Seattle Song, it seems that this horse won a Group 1 in France as his first race ever. Could someone confirm this or show me a 2nd source to match this equibase (http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=854135&registry=T) data?

thanks. Any other cool horses/races you want to share about Maidens or FTS winning stakes by beating winners, are very welcome!

horses4courses
05-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.
Aidan O'Brien won the Irish 2000 Guineas (Ireland's first classic race of the season) at the Curragh this past Saturday. He had 3 horses in the race - the winner, Power, Daddy Long Legs (4th), and Wrote (BC Juvenile Turf winner).

I went to my share of those races in the 70s and 80s, but one of the most memorable was back in 1972. Paddy Prendergast sent out a first time starter who was actually taking money in the betting.
Ballymore was the name of the horse.

The field he beat wasn't the strongest ever, but to win first out in a G1 classic stakes race is virtually unheard of anywhere.
I shook my head that day in amazement, and will never forget it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_2,000_Guineas

affirmedny
05-29-2012, 04:34 PM
How often do you see that happening and that FTS going on to win the stakes race?

I have seen (charts) maidens winning stakes races, but when I came across Seattle Song, it seems that this horse won a Group 1 in France as his first race ever. Could someone confirm this or show me a 2nd source to match this equibase (http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=854135&registry=T) data?

thanks. Any other cool horses/races you want to share about Maidens or FTS winning stakes by beating winners, are very welcome!

When the info predates 1991 they don't list all the races in results, only stakes I think. If you look at his record he started 9 times but only 5 races are listed under results. He made 2 additional starts in 1983 which were not listed. It's quite possible one of those was a maiden race.

startngate
05-29-2012, 04:51 PM
When the info predates 1991 they don't list all the races in results, only stakes I think. If you look at his record he started 9 times but only 5 races are listed under results. He made 2 additional starts in 1983 which were not listed. It's quite possible one of those was a maiden race.
Beat me to it.

Typically when I have seen maidens win Stakes races it has been in State restricted 2YO Stakes. Very few are FTS, but it does happen.

BIG49010
05-29-2012, 08:00 PM
The year Sea Hero won the derby, a FTS won the WHAS for 2yr olds on Derby day, his name was Mumbo Jumbo or something like that. I don't think he ever won again, but I had a few bucks on him based on the info in that phonebook bris puts out for 2 yr olds, he was out of the only stakes producing mare. Just lucky, that's all it was for me.

Cardus
05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Good stuff!

affirmedny
05-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Beat me to it.

Typically when I have seen maidens win Stakes races it has been in State restricted 2YO Stakes. Very few are FTS, but it does happen.

I believe the great sprinter Groovy broke his maiden in a stakes at the Meadowlands. I think I was there but it was a loooong time ago!! Not sure if he was a first time starter though.

iceknight
05-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Good call. thanks for pointing that!

iceknight
05-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about this the other day.
Aidan O'Brien won the Irish 2000 Guineas (Ireland's first classic race of the season) at the Curragh this past Saturday. He had 3 horses in the race - the winner, Power, Daddy Long Legs (4th), and Wrote (BC Juvenile Turf winner).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_2,000_GuineasThanks for the about Ballymore. I found this link (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Briefing%3A+horses+who+won+an+important+race+on+th eir+debut.-a073227687) when i googled Ballymore 1972.

So what do you make of Daddy Long Legs.. his record is like 1 (mdn), 4th (g2), 1(g2), 12th (g1), 1st (g2), 20th (g1), now 4th(g1).
He is either a WIN or he is off the board.. what's up with this horse? There s no real way to bet him.. so weird.

Track Phantom
05-30-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm pretty sure Blair's Cove (2nd all time-winningest MN bred ever) trained by Noel Hickey, won the 1987 Bashford Manor at Churchill Downs in his first career start.

Dahoss9698
05-30-2012, 08:02 AM
So what do you make of Daddy Long Legs.. his record is like 1 (mdn), 4th (g2), 1(g2), 12th (g1), 1st (g2), 20th (g1), now 4th(g1).
He is either a WIN or he is off the board.. what's up with this horse? There s no real way to bet him.. so weird.

If you actually look at Daddy Long Legs racing record, you'll notice his 12th and 20th place finishes happened the two times he has raced on dirt. That was in the BC Juvenile and Kentucky Derby. So...if he shows up in a dirt race, I wouldn't bet him. Otherwise, he's run in some of the more prestegious races in Europe and hasn't disgraced himself.

horses4courses
05-30-2012, 09:20 AM
If you actually look at Daddy Long Legs racing record, you'll notice his 12th and 20th place finishes happened the two times he has raced on dirt. That was in the BC Juvenile and Kentucky Derby. So...if he shows up in a dirt race, I wouldn't bet him. Otherwise, he's run in some of the more prestegious races in Europe and hasn't disgraced himself.

True.
I have a feeling that they will pick up some money with this fellow through the summer, probably in G2 races. He seems a pretty durable sort, but can't run on dirt at a high level.
His win in the UAE Derby was very good - especially off the layoff.
They may well aim this horse for Meydan next year.
There is big money to be earned there, even if he doesn't win the Dubai Classic.

BIG49010
05-30-2012, 11:45 AM
This year at the OBS day of Champions a FTS won the 3 yr old race, his name was Crafty Unicorn.

Interesting it was a non betting race, LOL.

tholl
05-30-2012, 12:00 PM
If I'm not mistaken Lady Capulet won the 1977 Irish 1,000 Guineas in her first lifetime start. (she later became the dam of El Prado).

devilsbag
05-30-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't have PPs in front of me, but I believe Mom's Command also broke her maiden in an ungraded stake at Rockingham at a big price, and in fact never ran in anything but black type events.

The above reference to Groovy by affirmedny was correct as well. He won the Forever Casting at first asking at Club Med (opening day I recall), then I think he wheeled back and was well beaten in the Young America by Storm Cat. Those connections weren't shy about where they placed him (or changing trainers).

BIG49010
05-30-2012, 03:53 PM
The year Sea Hero won the derby, a FTS won the WHAS for 2yr olds on Derby day, his name was Mumbo Jumbo or something like that. I don't think he ever won again, but I had a few bucks on him based on the info in that phonebook bris puts out for 2 yr olds, he was out of the only stakes producing mare. Just lucky, that's all it was for me.

Looked this one up today, Mumbliah, was the horse paying $60.40

iceknight
05-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks for sharing that wisdom!

Linny
05-31-2012, 12:20 AM
He didn't win it but Alydar made his debut in a stakes, possibly the Youthful. He returned to break his maiden in his next start, in a MSW.

devilsbag
05-31-2012, 01:28 PM
He didn't win it but Alydar made his debut in a stakes, possibly the Youthful. He returned to break his maiden in his next start, in a MSW.

Alydar (finished fifth) was also the favorite in this race, the only time he and Affirmed didn't finish one-two in their ten meetings.