PDA

View Full Version : Tablet owner's using remote desktop

fast4522
05-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Are there any users of remote desktop applications using their tablets here?
If so, what are you using, Splashtop or other and care to share notes here?

JustRalph
05-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Logmein on the Ipad works great. But I couldn't see paying 40 bucks a year after the trial ran out.

I used it from Belmont park to my home computer and was running Jcapper on the home system while sitting with Al and CJ's Dad at Belmont.

That was pretty cool. I really don't need it right now. My trial ran out, but If I really needed it I would recommend it to anyone. Worked great.

HoofedInTheChest
05-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I use TeamViewer, it works great on the iPad. It is free to use if you are not using it commercially. I tested LogMeIn as well and had no problems with that one as well. One thing to keep in mind is that it uses a dirty pile of data.

fast4522
05-29-2012, 01:08 PM
In addition to Splashtop, there is Team Viewer.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx

One cost $5 and the other is free, I am looking st setup something using at least both and or at least trying both. I think this is exactly how we bring Office into the tablets via internet. The more comments on this subject can only be helpful.

Dave Schwartz
05-29-2012, 01:08 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that it uses a dirty pile of data.

What does that mean?

HoofedInTheChest
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM
What does that mean?
Hey Dave
If you are using your own data, for example, i tether my iPad with my iPhone and i am using my own data from my phone plan. I don't recommend this, i racked up about 400 mb in about an hour, if you have a small data plan you will use it up quickly. When i am at Woodbine i use their free WiFi and it works great.

Dave Schwartz
05-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Now I get it.

Sprint is the only way. They have true, unlimited downloads.

fast4522
05-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Very useful information, Team Viewer appears to be a bandwidth gig whore by the term dirty data. I suspect other products that remotely display desktops are also chewing up bandwidth displaying screens if changed or not.

Dave Schwartz
05-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Goto MYPc probably does not. It is based upon the Citrix technology, the core concept of which is that it only sends the pixels that have changed.

Never thought of that before but might be a great alternative in a remote desktop environment.

BillW
05-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Now I get it.

Sprint is the only way. They have true, unlimited downloads.

Only if you have a phone based tablet. using the hotspot feature through your phone has limits.

HoofedInTheChest
05-29-2012, 02:54 PM
I think they all are on the same wavelength when it comes to data consumption, i was testing LogMeIn and TeamViewer at the same time so i cant give you exact numbers. Mobile data is different than the data we use at home, so i think you will chew up mobile data at a faster rate. I have a desktop network meter on my computer and when i was using remote access i was using a fair amount of "uploading" data from my base computer, just something to think about. If you can find a free WiFi hotspot then that's the way to go, if not use your mobile data sparingly.

Another thing i forgot to mention is if you are tethering your tablet with a phone it chews up your phone's battery at a very fast rate, so bring a charger with you. I didn't really have any problems with the tablets battery.

The only difference i found with TeamViewer was you couldn't restart your base computer remotely, with LogMeIn you can. What would be really cool is if you could "start" your base computer when it is shut down, but neither will do that. Your base computer must always be on to gain remote access.

The only other difference i found was it was easier to move the cursor with TeamViewer, but that can be subjective.

JustRalph
05-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Only if you have a phone based tablet. using the hotspot feature through your phone has limits.

unless you have a grandfathered plan. I have one. But I don't use that much data. They tell me I am still grandfathered in though.

Dave Schwartz
05-29-2012, 04:40 PM

With sprint, you pay a $29 monthly fee to have the "no limit" added to tethered service.

BillW
05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
With sprint, you pay a $29 monthly fee to have the "no limit" added to tethered service.

Not here in Ky. $19.95/Mo for 2Gb and $49.95 for 6 Gb. The unlimited data is for phone. I believe the original service was unlimited for $29.95.

Dave Schwartz
05-29-2012, 08:52 PM
We have an unlimited data plan. We added the $29 for a month last year when I went to Saratoga. Turned it off when we got home.

Now, perhaps that plan is no longer available but it was certainly a national plan back then.

Dave

JustRalph
05-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Dave and i are sympatico. I can turn it off and on for 29 bucks a month. I left it on since toga last year. I use it with the ipad quite often. But whenever i check my data usuage i am never really using a lot. I rarely do anything like watch a movie etc

HoofedInTheChest
05-30-2012, 07:19 AM
I am in the same boat, most months i leave data on the table, that's why i went with a WiFi only iPad. The one thing that has always bothered me about Canadian providers is if you don't use up your data, it doesn't carry over to the next month. I am paying for it and i should be able to keep it, it's like going to a restaurant and they take away half your dinner if you don't eat it in a certain time frame..... and the dinner isn't cheap! Bunch of crooks.