PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Beachbabe
05-28-2012, 03:33 PM
I see "Jessica Pacheco" has joined our group.

Welcome !!!! :jump:

Jessica Pacheco
05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks! I'll admit to some past lurking, but I wanted to come out of the woodwork to share my new project "Behind the Silks" with you guys.

I think it's pretty cool. Hope you like it!

lamboguy
05-28-2012, 04:32 PM
not a bad idea to stir up interest in the game..........good luck

nijinski
05-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks! I'll admit to some past lurking, but I wanted to come out of the woodwork to share my new project "Behind the Silks" with you guys.

It really looks like a good project.
Thornton won me over with that great demeanor of his . Good luck with
this , keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

Beachbabe
05-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Always thought he was a good rider. I like him even better now that I saw the video. Hope he stays straight & stays healthy. Seems like a good guy.

Thanks for sharing.

bigmack
05-28-2012, 04:57 PM

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/newsvideosblogs/behind-silks

Tell the production team to render the video using H.264 format, and a mono audio signal. What they've loaded lacks in video resolution, with unwanted artifacts, and the audio is currently only left.

No sense in working hard on video vignettes if the final viewing product seriously lacks production value because some production geek can't figure out acceptable rendering options.

Jessica Pacheco
05-28-2012, 05:00 PM
http://www.arlingtonpark.com/newsvideosblogs/behind-silks

Tell the production team to render the video using H.264 format, and a mono audio signal. What they've loaded lacks in video resolution, with unwanted artifacts, and the audio is currently only left.

No sense in working hard on video vignettes if the final viewing product seriously lacks production value because some production geek can't figure out acceptable rendering options.

Did you watch on the Youtube page? On my computer it is much better on YouTube than when it was embedded on the AP site.

bigmack
05-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Did you watch on the Youtube page? On my computer it is much better on YouTube than when it was embedded on the AP site.
Good point. The video is discernibly better but the audio is still all left.

As hard as you guys work on these, it's a shame to see less than acceptable production values uploaded for the woild to see.

If they do it again, hit 'em upside the head with a form. :ThmbUp:

Grits
05-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Welcome to Pace Advantage! There are not a great number of us females, I'm told we're needed.

.... I trust the person that tells me this, he's smart this way. :lol:

Hoping that you'll enjoy your time here, and post often.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Welcome Miss Pacheco!

I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope your time outside of "lurkdom" is not a one time thing... :ThmbUp:

Striker
05-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Good to see you join the PA community. Hope you survived that wind at Arlington today.

andicap
05-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Welcome Miss Pacheco!

I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope your time outside of "lurkdom" is not a one time thing... :ThmbUp:

I'm sure she'll hang around until some moron starts slamming her for some trifle or another. (Good thing I don't run these boards -- I'd make "1984" look like Utopia. :D )

v j stauffer
05-29-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm sure she'll hang around until some moron starts slamming her for some trifle or another. (Good thing I don't run these boards -- I'd make "1984" look like Utopia. :D )

I don't do that anymore.

Welcome Jessica!

Vinnie
05-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Welcome aboard Miss Pacheco. :)

mabred
05-29-2012, 12:37 PM
BTW
good handicapper did her due dilligence @ gulfstream

mabred

stuball
05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Jessica maybe you can find time to make and appearance at our PA meeting
Would be so nice to see you there...since you are now an official PA member..

Pleeeeeze-------Pleeze-----Ur so pretty Pleeze..

Stuball

Jessica Pacheco
05-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks everybody.

I think I'll stick around - this is more fun than lurking!

Let me know when you have AP questions, and I'll do my best to help out.

JustRalph
05-29-2012, 03:25 PM
You must continue the tradition of "On Air" types who join this board.

That is, you must find a way to interject the term "Pace Advantage" into a broadcast. Make sure you post before you do it........so someone can tape it and put it on Youtube............

This board has been on TVG and several times been mentioned by announcers/race callers etc.

Stick around ............ :ThmbUp:

cj
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks everybody.

OK, here is one, what the heck is going on with the timer?

Jessica Pacheco
05-29-2012, 03:40 PM
OK, here is one, what the heck is going on with the timer?

I brought the one from Gulfstream.

cj
05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
I brought the one from Gulfstream.

Thanks, not sure that is really going to help though.

HoofedInTheChest
05-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Hey, she has a sence of humour. :ThmbUp:

Welcome to PA Jessica

Jessica Pacheco
05-29-2012, 03:49 PM

They are working on the issue, and hopefully it's resolved already. If not - I'll try to get a better answer for you next week.

Scrambler
05-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Welcome Ms Jessica Pacheco, Now we just Need Mr Ron...lol Enjoy

Keep up the good Cappin.....:ThmbUp:

cj
05-29-2012, 04:02 PM
They are working on the issue, and hopefully it's resolved already. If not - I'll try to get a better answer for you next week.

Cool, thanks.

castaway01
05-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Agree this is a bad answer, but give her credit for a sense of humor.

v j stauffer
05-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Jessica. Having done paddock work myself I must say I admire your work greatly. Futhermore, since we're both industry insider types I'm sure you wouldn't mind giving me your bosses address, would you? :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
05-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Jessica. Having done paddock work myself I must say I admire your work greatly. Futhermore, since we're both industry insider types I'm sure you wouldn't mind giving me your bosses address, would you? :ThmbUp:

Vic! Put that microsoft word resume template away..........

As they said to Jed, California is the place you ought to be........

cj
05-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Agree this is a bad answer, but give her credit for a sense of humor.

I do, and no problem at all.

castaway01
05-29-2012, 05:39 PM
I do, and no problem at all.

I know YOU do brother, I just meant everyone else so we don't drive her away when BobHope posts 40 times on the thread. :)

Shelby
05-29-2012, 06:22 PM

Stop sucking up and throwing your insider weight around. :rolleyes:

;):D

Welcome, Jessica!

1GCFAN
05-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Jessica welcome to the board!

HuggingTheRail
05-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Page 3 and no one has warned her to stay away from the off topic sections?? :bang:

PaceAdvantage
05-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Page 3 and no one has warned her to stay away from the off topic sections?? :bang:Most intelligent people know to stay away from off-topic...

HuggingTheRail
05-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Most intelligent people know to stay away from off-topic...

Hey....wait a second.... :D

JustRalph
05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Off topic is fine. I just hate having to pay that fee to post

Kevroc
05-30-2012, 01:21 AM
You must continue the tradition of "On Air" types who join this board.

That is, you must find a way to interject the term "Pace Advantage" into a broadcast. Make sure you post before you do it........so someone can tape it and put it on Youtube............

This board has been on TVG and several times been mentioned by announcers/race callers etc.

I remember when Craig Braddick did this at the mountain.. I was on the computer and had TVG going in the background.. I did a double-take.. like "what did he just say??" :)

oh, and Welcome, Jessica!

v j stauffer
05-30-2012, 02:47 AM
I did it one Friday night at BHP. Instantly after the race phone rings from the executive office. I'm thinking this can't go well. One of my bosses says " Hey I heard the PA shoutout that race. Cool. I read that site all time" True story.

JustRalph
05-30-2012, 03:05 AM
I did it one Friday night at BHP. Instantly after the race phone rings from the executive office. I'm thinking this can't go well. One of my bosses says " Hey I heard the PA shoutout that race. Cool. I read that site all time" True story.

That's a great story ..... :ThmbUp:

speldedo
05-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Welcome Jessica. Can you please give me Alyssa Ali's phone number!

illinoisbred
05-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Welcome Jessica....happy you joined the PA forum!

Bettowin
05-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I watched episode 1 on the Arlington Park website and to my untrained eye it looked and sounded great. Looking forward to the next one and welcome aboard.

Figaro
05-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks everybody.

Used your selections last summer just because of your pretty face and I started losing, but I don't blame you for my losses. :D

Wickel
05-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Great to have you onboard, Jessica. Arlington's one of my favorite tracks.

Jessica Pacheco
05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
I watched episode 1 on the Arlington Park website and to my untrained eye it looked and sounded great. Looking forward to the next one and welcome aboard.

thanks for watching and glad you liked it!

We got the visual issues taken care of (embedding problems) so it should look much better on the AP site now and from here on out.

Jessica Pacheco
05-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Used your selections last summer just because of your pretty face and I started losing, but I don't blame you for my losses. :D

Ha! I know you know that's a terrible reason to bet!

I actually try to focus more on educating the newcomer or casual fan, not so much you hard-cores, and giving good info rather than "picking winners".

I'd rather have a well thought out price horse run 2nd or 3rd than give out some 3/5 chalk to say I picked a "winner".

I've had disagreements with people about that too, I'd be interested in know how you all feel about it.

Jessica Pacheco
05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Great to have you onboard, Jessica. Arlington's one of my favorite tracks.

Thanks! The first track I ever went to was in NM.

Good old Sunland Park!

Zydeco
05-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Welcome Jessica

andicap
05-30-2012, 08:56 PM

I actually try to focus more on educating the newcomer or casual fan, not so much you hard-cores, and giving good info rather than "picking winners".

I'd rather have a well thought out price horse run 2nd or 3rd than give out some 3/5 chalk to say I picked a "winner".

I've had disagreements with people about that too, I'd be interested in know how you all feel about it.

I agree! As long as people are advised to back up this horse in exactas and tris.

Even a "hard-core" like me will learn something from the track's in-house handicapper/reporter. Some little tidbit I hadn't been aware of that can be helpful.

usedtolovetvg
05-30-2012, 09:08 PM

Do whatever your boss wants you to do. Sticking to your principles won't pay the bills.

v j stauffer
05-31-2012, 02:33 AM
Do whatever your boss wants you to do. Sticking to your principles won't pay the bills.

Very sharp post.

Jessica. Try to pose questions that the people will have to apply the handicapping teachings you've been using. Set the stage of the race. Advise of what you think will be the pertinent pieces to solve the puzzle. Cultivate horsesplayers. Your job will be well done when through your insight and knowledge they're challenged to get better. As they do they will go from $2.00 to $20.00 to $200.00 players.

A real horseplaer will NEVER care who you like. Flys in the face of the entire concept. What I'm looking for from you is anything that can help my process that I can't know because I'm stuck at the simulcast outlet.

Did she come into the paddock dripping wet?

Did they have to saddle him on the walk and have a very tough time of it?

Did she freeze three times when they were walking out through the tunnel and when she hooked up with the pony.

Was he sporting major wood the whole time in the paddock. Grunting and snorting and try to mount the pony when he got there.

ANYTHING that can give me an edge in final decisions. Be my eyes and ears onsite.

Did the first three winners circle wide off the pace or were they speed on the rail. You don't have to add an opinion. I'll quantify that myself. Just tell me the facts when they strike you and as if I've just gotten to my OTB.

I think you do terrific job. Arlington is lucky to have you and John G on board.

Keep up the great work.

VJS

Jay Trotter
05-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Was he sporting major wood the whole time in the paddock. Grunting and snorting and try to mount the pony when he got there.This is not an angle I've ever considered. I have to get down to the paddock more often.

jdhanover
05-31-2012, 08:36 AM
I think you do a great job explaining to the relative newcomer which is critcal. On Fridays/weekends especially, there are a lot of 'newbies'.

I agree that paddock observations is extremely valuable to us 'old' folks. You can be our eyes/ears.

Keep up the great work and see you in a few weeks at the PA outing!

onefast99
05-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Nice to see you posting on this forum. You add a lot to the game and I enjoy your picks and commentary.

v j stauffer
05-31-2012, 12:27 PM
This is not an angle I've ever considered. I have to get down to the paddock more often.

While never close to major. 35 years ago I know I all too often lost focus. Never turned out well.:bang:

dartman51
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
This is not an angle I've ever considered. I have to get down to the paddock more often.

Me too. :lol: I must have missed that in Bonnie Ledbetter's book, BODY LANGUAGE OF HORSES. :ThmbUp:

usedtolovetvg
05-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Me too. :lol: I must have missed that in Bonnie Ledbetter's book, BODY LANGUAGE OF HORSES. :ThmbUp:

While you're in the paddock make sure to check out FO BDU.

(Family Out - Baby Dressed Up)

Figaro
05-31-2012, 03:10 PM

Hi Jessica, first of all I totally forgot to welcome you here as I'm pretty new to this board as well. My apologies.

Actually, I was an absolute beginner last year when I started using your selections. However, the many times I've seen you it was always at an OTB place where the volume of the sound was turned off because there were just too many tracks playing at once. Since the sound was off I never knew what you were saying or even know what your voice sounds like. LOL

Long story short, I was captivated by you and not the "other guy" so I found myself using your selections too many times with boxed exactas and trifectas last year. In 2012, I haven't bet on AP yet but that will change soon (maybe).

I plan to watch "Behind the Silks" and see what you have to say and actually sound like. Again welcome to PA. :p

cnollfan
06-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Jessica,

We don't need an analyst to tell us that a 3/5 shot will probably win. I'm all in favor of the color commentators providing handicapping info that is a bit hidden, as you do. Thanks.

Jessica Pacheco
06-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Jessica,

We don't need an analyst to tell us that a 3/5 shot will probably win. I'm all in favor of the color commentators providing handicapping info that is a bit hidden, as you do. Thanks.

Cool, that's what I thought. thanks.

And thank you to everybody else too for the nice welcome and comments! I hope I can be a worthwhile and informative contributor here.

mountainman
06-25-2012, 11:01 AM

Completely agree. The more analysis I do, the less married I am to my top selection. No self-respecting handicapper wants to be touted, so it's all about the commentary. A separate perspective spiced with local knowledge has become my mantra.

Jessica Pacheco
06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Completely agree. The more analysis I do, the less married I am to my top selection. No self-respecting handicapper wants to be touted, so it's all about the commentary. A separate perspective spiced with local knowledge has become my mantra.

Yes. This.

That's exactly where I am right now also.

davew
06-26-2012, 11:47 PM
I have heard many analysts give their selections, but never heard any give their probabilities.

Would your bosses get upset if you said something like " I do like the 3/5 favorite and feel it has a 40% chance of winning. My value selections are XX who I feel has a 23% chance and YY who I feel has a 18% chance".

It would add a benefit to bettors who are always trying to pick the winner, usually ending with the favorite underlay - giving them the idea of betting for value.

I also like how Mark (mountainman) and Nancy handle their "mad bomber" at Mountaineer - who will occasionally drop $5K early on their pick (so is 1/9 for some time) to add even more and show bets before the start. Occasionally the bombers horse is not even the best horse in the race (by my probabilities). They mention how money will be coming on the XX, YY horses late so they may be overbet when all said and done. They also say when they think this favorite is not a standout winner, and could be a false favorite.