PDA

View Full Version : Internet Handicapping

Alc
01-05-2004, 08:56 PM
Just recovered from a very unpleasant internet experience and wonder how the pro's would or do handle. Lost my road runner internet access for over five days. Unable to retrieve data files, pp's, messages, lurk on PA,..........nothing. Not a livlihood problem for me because am a retiree who plays the horses recreationally. But what does the professional do who needs to download data files for his handicapping software,pp's,etc. Do you have backup procedures, revert to DRF hardcopy or what? Never realized how really dependent on the internet I have become using it for banking, news, weather, purchases............etc.. Very frustrating. Al

Buddha
01-05-2004, 09:31 PM
While at Saratoga, a couple of the guys would go to a kinkos and download what they needed, while another "piggybacked" someones wireless connection. There are ways to get the data, now as for actual betting online, I doubt kinkos would be happy for you to be there all day watching races :)

BillW
01-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Al,

I'm far from a pro, but I do have internet backup via my cell phone and use that when I'm on the road and can be used if the landline net goes down.

Bill

Kappa
01-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Al

I lost my connection for about 5 days -billing issue with Comcast. I was able to download my datafiles using the computers at the public library. Saved the data to floppys.

Cumbersome, but it worked. Checked my e-mail too.

Herman

Buckeye
01-05-2004, 10:15 PM
I have cable and a dial-up connection just in case. :cool:

levinmpa
01-06-2004, 10:08 AM
Most Broadband providers, DSL or Cable, will provide dial-up access for occassions when you travel or when the broadband network is down. You should check into this and setup a dial-up connection for a backup if you can. Your other option is to go to an internet cafe or a library and save the data to floppy. One caution when using floppies. I always use 2 floppy disks, as there are very unreliable. Copy every file to each floppy in case one of them fails. Nothing worse than getting home and finding out you can't access the data on the disk.

Regards....ML

Alc
01-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replys.Sometimes cant "see the forest for the trees". So used to just going into my computer room,downloading the TSN files,and tuning to TVG. Never even occurred to me to have a friend(also has TSN account) download the data files to a floppy/cd. Next time. Al

marcus
01-06-2004, 12:43 PM
from a pro here in the uk, we have 5 broadband setups,along with wireless never had a problem except when the battery power goes down on the laptops (happened once, staff now carry backup power packs) i dont know how it is in different parts of the states, is wireless sat reception any good ? bad areas ? starbucks/comets allow you free access over here via sat. regards marcus