PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Predictions

Bubbles
01-05-2004, 04:41 PM
2-year-old male: Action This Day, Birdstone, Cuvee

I say neither. Chapel Royal was more consistent than all three of these. However, I must choose, so I pick, reluctantly, Birdstone.

2-year-old female: Ashado, Halfbridled, Victory U.S.A.

Halfbridled. By the length of the Santa Monica Pier.

3-year-old female: Bird Town, Elloluv, Six Perfections

Neither of these three were very consistent, but Bird Town, who won a number of important stakes races in the spring and summer, gets the nod.

Older male: Congaree, Medaglia d'Oro, Mineshaft

Mineshaft. Easily outclassed those who opposed him in prestigious company.

Older female: Adoration, Azeri, Sightseek

I was never sold on Sightseek. She beat what appeared to be weak fields in NY, while Azeri, while not competing with the best around, ran with mares with class, like Got Koko. She gets the nod.

Sprinter: Aldebaran, Cajun Beat, Congaree

Cajun Beat is the only true sprinter in the bunch. The other two wanted more distance. He gets the surprisingly-convincing nod.

Male turf horse: High Chaparral, Johar, Storming Home

This is a toss-up between HC and SH. Storming Home, on his best day, is brilliant. However, Cup Day is a horrible time to disappear, making me give the slight edge to the European.

Female turf horse: Heat Haze, Islington, Six Perfections

Heat Haze lost her shot after her Flower Bowl and BC duds. Islington and Six Perfections are very close, but I give it to Islington, only for her multiple tries against the boys. SP only ran against them once, and just who did she beat in the Mile?

Steeplechase: McDynamo, Pelagos, Praise the Prince

Don't do chasers.

Let the bickering begin.

Buddha
01-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Who I think will get the awards. Not necessarily who I like, but who I think will get the awards.

2YO Male: Action This Day

I don't think he was the best 2YO, but he showed up on BC day and won. Of the 3 selections, I think Cuvee is most talented, but they usually don't like horses that can't go 2 turns, and Cuvee hasnt proven he can. ATD has and has won a G1 going 2 turns.

2YO Filly: Halfbridled

Is this even a questionable category? Wonder if anyone else will even get a vote.

3YO Male: Empire Maker

This is a bad category. One had potential and showed it when he wanted to. One budded early in the year and didn't do anything else, and the other budded late with the other 2 basically done for the year.

3YO Filly: Six Perfections

I think Six Perfections should get the nod as she beat older males en route to her BC day win, and also in Europe beat last years BC Mile winner. Elloluv has distance limitations, and while I like her, don't think she deserves this title. Bird Town ran well, won big races early in the year, and then couldnt win the second half of the year.

Older Male: Mineshaft

He won, and he won big. The other two, while talented, just don't quite match up to him.

Older Female: Azeri

I think she is probably the best of the group. I too like Bubbles, was never sold on Sightseek. Adoration got the good race on BC Day, but other than that, her 2003 fame goes to a restricted stakes win at Del Mar by a neck.

Sprinter: Cajun Beat

Won big in BC sprint. Beat elders in BC Sprint. Aldbaran needs at least 7F to be effective, and Baffert doesn't truely sprint Congaree.

Male Turf: High Chaparral

He won 2 of 3 G1 races, with the defeat coming to a good Dalakhani. Storming Home while talented, I don't think is as good as HC. Johar I just don't think is good enough to win this.

Female Turf: Islington

Islington when racing against other F&M is basically unbeatable, and can run very well with the boys. Heat Haze while versatile, winning from 6.5-9.5 furlongs, wouldnt hang with Islington. Six Perfections is very talented, but don't think she could hang with Islington right now. Maybe next year she could.

Steeplechase: McDynamo

Don't know much about htem, but any that can win all 3 G1s they are in is good.

Suff
01-05-2004, 06:52 PM
I see Pablo Fragaso there.. NY apprentice. #2 rider in NY Currently. Fogelsonder will probably win it because he was Nominated last year and lost in a Landslide to John Mckee. Mckee broke Pat Days Churchill Downs Apprentice record. He was a shoe in..... Fragaso is Good. And he's busy. 106 mounts. Also Tops at the meet.

as far as the runners.. Its splitting hairs with most of these.

Islington and Halfbridled are stick outs to me ...