PDA

View Full Version : Just curious?

turninforhome10
05-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Since I was just a pup during Affirmed/ Alydar, did Steve Cauthen get scrutinized like Mario has. Young rider and all that? Any input?

tucker6
05-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Since I was just a pup during Affirmed/ Alydar, did Steve Cauthen get scrutinized like Mario has. Young rider and all that? Any input?
remember, we didn't have internet forums back then, nor did we have all these specialty TV channels droning on ad nauseum 24/7.

So, the answer is NO generally, but of course everything and everybody gets some questioning. Heck, Big Red was a "what have you done for me lately" horse heading into the KD.

nijinski
05-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Steve brought his tack to NY and was an incredible appremtice . His talent was well known , even without the internet.
He was in huge demand and everyome knew of him . Big difference between the two .
Mario has shown grace and class and is a great fit for IHA . I'm happy for him and the way he has handled himself.
The scrutiny comes with it when you're not on top in the big circuits. Cauthen was.

I edited to add that the jockey colony in NY were a tough bunch !

turninforhome10
05-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Steve brought his tack to NY and was an incredible appremtice . His talent was well known , even without the internet.
He was in huge demand and everyome knew of him . Big difference between the two .
Mario has shown grace and class and is a great fit for IHA . I'm happy for him and the way he has handled himself.
The scrutiny comes with it when you're not on top in the big circuits. Cauthen was.
Awesome answer. Thanks.

nijinski
05-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Awesome answer. Thanks.

NO Prob , and keep up the great work on pedigree capping !

turninforhome10
05-20-2012, 02:10 PM
NO Prob , and keep up the great work on pedigree capping !
Will do. Wish I had more time but working a ton of extra hours at the Hospital. Getting my bankroll together to get a lot of time off for the SPA, my make or break meet. Will try and have lots of info for the 2yo's at Del Mar and the Spa. Thanks for the kind words. You are a great source of info.

1GCFAN
05-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Steve Cauthen took off like a rocket and the kid from Kentucky had his story in all the newspapers and TV.

Ocala Mike
05-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I wonder if Guttierrez gets this treatment if IHA wins the Belmont:

http://www.9thrace.com/jockeys/steve-cauthen.html

nijinski
05-20-2012, 08:54 PM
I wonder if Guttierrez gets this treatment if IHA wins the Belmont:

http://www.9thrace.com/jockeys/steve-cauthen.html

"Six Million Dollar Man"! Came to NY at 16 and boy he could ride . Great stuff!