PDA

View Full Version : Post Preakness - Do you think 'I'll Have Another' will win the Triple Crown now?

Burls
05-19-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm just curious to see how people vote with 2 down and 1 to go.
I'll start off with a Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppp!

nijinski
05-19-2012, 10:06 PM
While i enjoyed watching him win again , it's a very difficult task.
Let's see how he recovers this week .He looked quite tired after the race , That's not taking anything away from him or DO , after winning two classics .
A job very well done !
It would be huge and I'd be thrilled . Just can't imagine yet , until he's back galloping and we see how he's holding up .

MickJ26
05-19-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm rooting for him. But, it's a long backstretch at Belmont. Dullahan and Mark Valeski will be firing fresh. I voted for no.

Simple Syrup
05-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Voting no, but hoping to be surprised.

thaskalos
05-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Right after the Derby, I made a bet with a shrewd poster of this board that I'll Have Another would not win the Triple Crown.

I gave him 30-1 odds...

Today's race gave me cause for concern...:)

turninforhome10
05-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Right after the Derby, I made a bet with a shrewd poster of this board that I'll Have Another would not win the Triple Crown.

I gave him 30-1 odds...

It should

iceknight
05-20-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm just curious to see how people vote with 2 down and 1 to go.
I'll start off with a Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppp!

So I looked at last year's winning jockeys of the Triple crown races and noticed all first names started with J (johhnyV, jesusCastanon and JoseValdivia)..
So this year, after the Kentucky Derby I thought of the M jockey name theory but I could find only Mike Smith and Mario in the Preakness.. now it is going to be Super Mario all the way .. which would be good for racing if IHA wins the triple crown by truly winning the Belmont and silencing all critics.

Going to be exciting!

pandy
05-20-2012, 07:41 AM
I don't see why they would run Bodemeister in the Belmont, and if he doesn't run, I'll Have Another's Alydar will not be there to make it tough for him.

ArlJim78
05-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Yes I'll Have Another will win the Belmont, and I'll predict that its a convincing open lengths win. for those voting no, I'd like to hear what the scenario is that you see him losing. is it the distance? will some fresh "new shooter" will outfinish him? will he succumb to an unfavorable pace scenario?

Capper Al
05-20-2012, 09:14 AM
I want him to win. He's been an under rated horse without a super star jockey that has given two excellent rides; anything short would have cost him the wins. I'll Have Another's E/P style could do it. Belmont is tough. Some well rested horses should show up.

Shelby
05-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I had to vote YES! :jump:

sovereign
05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Not if Belmont's weather comes up the same as last year.

CincyHorseplayer
05-20-2012, 01:06 PM
After being able to run by a lone speed horse,I am saying absolutely yes.The horse is peaking and has some late run,unless a distance anomaly beast comes into the Belmont he has a great chance.To be perfectly honest,I'm proud of this horse and rooting for him with every ounce of my being.

Greyfox
05-20-2012, 01:07 PM

I gave him 30-1 odds...

I felt the same way.
But I didn't make that bet.
You'd better talk to the Belmont blacksmith Thask.
In this crop maybe only a faulty shoe can prevent the win.

horses4courses
05-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I'll sit on the fence for close to 3 weeks on this one.
Let's see who shows up, and how the race sets up.

I'm sure hoping he makes it, though.
It has to help the sport to get a 34 year jinx off it's back.

Marshall Bennett
05-20-2012, 02:50 PM
I voted Yes with my heart, although I think he'll like the mile & a half.

budman
05-20-2012, 02:53 PM
WELL I VOTED YES CAUSE HR'LL GET A MILKSHAKE!!!! :eek:

KIDDING OF COURSE BUT I THINK HE WAS UNDER RATED AND IS VERY LEGIT------WITHOUT A SHAKE.

THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST THRILLING RACES THAT I SEEN IN A LONG TIME.

BUDMAN

riskman
05-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Did not cast a vote in the poll.I live in the Big Apple and my past record for picking the Belmont winner has been horrible.
I will wager on the under card and let fate determine if IHA will wear the crown. Personally, I like the horses versatility and hope he will adjust to the challenges he faces in this race. IHA is not well known here being a CA horse, but the media will take care of that here in NYC.
Hope IHA stays healthy, happy and takes to the track.
Horse racing could use a Triple Crown winner and put the sport on the front pages in a favorable light.

jdhanover
05-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Would love to see it happen but I voted no. I had Birdstone a few years back. I think that scenario will happen again. iHA finishes 2d or 3d to a fresher horse

Vinnie
05-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I am pulling for him BIG TIME!! I hope that he can do it just one more time. What a thrilling race to watch. Bodemeister had it all his way with fairly comfortable fractions set, and when he took off past the far turn he began to leave everyone in his wake save IHA... I'll Have Another had the bead on him and showed an incredible amount of tenacity and intestinal fortitude he possesses to get it done yet another time to beat Bode (who ran an excellent race in his own right) on the square. WOW!! That was awesome!! You just have to give it to IHA and his jockey. It is a monumental task that he has at hand with the Belmont Stakes coming up, however, if he runs anywhere near where he ran to yesterday, I don't believe that there is anyone out there currently (even including the well rested horses that he will be facing) that can deal with him at the present time.

GO IHA!!!

sovereign
05-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Did not cast a vote in the poll.I live in the Big Apple and my past record for picking the Belmont winner has been horrible.
I will wager on the under card and let fate determine if IHA will wear the crown. Personally, I like the horses versatility and hope he will adjust to the challenges he faces in this race. IHA is not well known here being a CA horse, but the media will take care of that here in NYC.
Hope IHA stays healthy, happy and takes to the track.
Horse racing could use a Triple Crown winner and put the sport on the front pages in a favorable light.

Once the Belmont field has been set I need to know which horse you think will finish last. :)

Smarty Cide
05-20-2012, 07:44 PM
there is no chance, if smart jones and big brown couldnt do it, ill have another cant.... ill be picking 5 long shots on win bets and hope to find the next da'Tara.

Robert Fischer
05-20-2012, 07:52 PM
I abstain.

He'll have an excellent chance.

He is going to only be stronger for the Belmont than he was on May 5th. He's going to have first run over his only serious rival.

The one difference will likely be a lack of a target in the lane. I don't see that being a huge detriment. He also has enough speed to avoid being trapped going into the 1st turn even though he will have a target on his back.

tucker6
05-20-2012, 08:38 PM
there is no chance, if smart jones and big brown couldnt do it, ill have another cant.... ill be picking 5 long shots on win bets and hope to find the next da'Tara.
You make it sound like Smarty was a lock to win the Belmont. Many people thought 12F might be too much for Smarty even without the rabbit. Smarty was a good, but not great, horse. Same with BB. I prefer great horses to win the TC.

nijinski
05-20-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't see why they would run Bodemeister in the Belmont, and if he doesn't run, I'll Have Another's Alydar will not be there to make it tough for him.
Bafferts looking to The Haskell with Bode.
Paynter , who lost conditioning time could have possibly been Bafferts spoiler for IHA .
Similar to Sarava and War Emblem . Sarava ran on Preakness Day in the Sir Barton. Come to think of it though ,War Emblem was done in at the Belmont gate.

Bullet Plane
05-20-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm hoping they run Bode in the Belmont. This is a spectacular rivalry. The triple crown, if there is one, will be spoiled without him.

I think Bode would have a good shot to win the Belmont. What, beaten, a neck? There is not much difference between the two horses.

Maybe, they will be gunning for IHA in the Belmont. Maybe IHA gets a bad trip. He can't afford a bad trip against Bode, because Bode is also a very, very, good horse.

I wanna see another Bode vs IHA match!! The last two have been thrilling!!!

nijinski
05-20-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm hoping they run Bode in the Belmont. This is a spectacular rivalry. The triple crown, if there is one, will be spoiled without him.

I think Bode would have a good shot to win the Belmont. What, beaten, a neck? There is not much difference between the two horses.

Maybe, they will be gunning for IHA in the Belmont. Maybe IHA gets a bad trip. He can't afford a bad trip against Bode, because Bode is also a very, very, good horse.

I wanna see another Bode vs IHA match!! The last two have been thrilling!!!
Looks to be definate no on that.

CincyHorseplayer
05-20-2012, 09:43 PM

Is this one of those "Bitter Beer" bets?!AKA "I just squandered some bank on an underlay and I'm betting hell and highwater to beat who beat me"!!:)

cj's dad
05-20-2012, 09:56 PM
So, IHA wins rhe derby at 1-1/4 by open lengths and the P at 1-3/16 by a nck and some think he will lose to Bode ?? RU kidding me?

This looks like the best chance to win the T3 since Big Brown.

iceknight
05-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Looks to be definate no on that.

What about the horse... does he have a say? I have heard they are intelligent animals...
maybe Bode is thirsting for victory ...?

nijinski
05-20-2012, 10:23 PM
What about the horse... does he have a say? I have heard they are intelligent animals...
maybe Bode is thirsting for victory ...?
I asked him , He wants the Jersey shore .

nijinski
05-20-2012, 10:29 PM
So, IHA wins rhe derby at 1-1/4 by open lengths and the P at 1-3/16 by a nck and some think he will lose to Bode ?? RU kidding me?

This looks like the best chance to win the T3 since Big Brown.

How did Paynter look in the allowance ? Heard he is shipping to NY.
BTW I hope you had a great time , could not have made it to MD but it looked
like an amazing event.

bks
05-20-2012, 11:58 PM
IHA's biggest challenge in the Belmont will come from rider tactics. As with Smarty Jones in 2004, several in the Belmont will be riding not only to win but also to try to keep IHA from winning.

Among other things, that means unless he's on the lead IHA probably can't risk going to the rail during the race, for fear he'll get boxed there. But that shouldn't bother him much, given his seeming preference for the outside.

Here's hoping for an eight- or nine-horse field, nothing too crazy, and may the best horse trounce.

letswastemoney
05-21-2012, 12:56 AM
I don't see why it's so inconceivable that if Bodemeister ran in the Belmont Stakes he might beat IHA.

Sunday Silence beat Easy Goer twice fairly, then got trounced by Easy Goer in the Belmont Stakes.

This is horse racing, nothing is ever a sure lock.

ZephyrHawk
05-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Another vote for "on the fence". I think he's got a good chance, but I think the field set against him is too good to make it a sure thing. Of course, I thought the field stacked against Big Brown was so awful that he was a sure thing, and look what happened there. So, if I was forced to make a choice, I'd go with "no, probably not."

Now pardon me, I have to go fight for Belmont seats on Ticketmaster...

iceknight
05-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Another vote for "on the fence". I think he's got a good chance, but I think the field set against him is too good to make it a sure thing. Of course, I thought the field stacked against Big Brown was so awful that he was a sure thing, and look what happened there. So, if I was forced to make a choice, I'd go with "no, probably not."

Now pardon me, I have to go fight for Belmont seats on Ticketmaster...

4 mins to post for Belmont on Ticketmaster.. haha!

peeptoad
05-21-2012, 11:10 AM
I think IHA has a very real shot at winning the TC, but then again I thought Big Brown was practically a slam dunk.

Dullahan (can sit closer to the pace?)
Paynter (improving at the right time?)
Cigar Street (2nd time blinks?)

Marshall Bennett
05-21-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't see why it's so inconceivable that if Bodemeister ran in the Belmont Stakes he might beat IHA.

I believe Bodemeister will look like Sham did in the 73 Belmont. A worn down horse unable to get any distance. Believe the TC trail will have taken it's toll on his style of running.

lamboguy
05-21-2012, 11:24 AM
I think IHA has a very real shot at winning the TC, but then again I thought Big Brown was practically a slam dunk.

things do change the week of the belmont. i have seen horses have looked like cinch's until their work over the track, and for whatever reason they didn't look the same as their last race. you mentioned BIG BROWN, he looked awful the week of the Belmont, he had little chance of running any good in his race. horses that don't train well don't run to good.

not that this will be the case in 2012, but some horses don't take to the belmont surface the first time they run over it. i am sure that is why the trainer shipped his horse up to new york right after the preakness. he won't be able to do what he did before the preakness and not work his horse, he has to work over the belmont surface to run good.

peeptoad
05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
things do change the week of the belmont. i have seen horses have looked like cinch's until their work over the track, and for whatever reason they didn't look the same as their last race. you mentioned BIG BROWN, he looked awful the week of the Belmont, he had little chance of running any good in his race. horses that don't train well don't run to good.

not that this will be the case in 2012, but some horses don't take to the belmont surface the first time they run over it. i am sure that is why the trainer shipped his horse up to new york right after the preakness. he won't be able to do what he did before the preakness and not work his horse, he has to work over the belmont surface to run good.

True about Big Brown; I had forgotten that... and I remember seeing pics of his torn up feet as well, so maybe he wasn't the best example.
Womder if the jock not having experience over the track could come into play as well? (hasn't seemed to matter so far)

Some_One
05-21-2012, 02:47 PM
True about Big Brown; I had forgotten that... and I remember seeing pics of his torn up feet as well, so maybe he wasn't the best example.
Womder if the jock not having experience over the track could come into play as well? (hasn't seemed to matter so far)

Inexperience (or simply idoitcy) caused Smarty Jones and Charismatic to lose the Belmont.

Some_One
05-21-2012, 02:49 PM

Dullahan is an Ice Box type horse, best runs on dirt come in races with suicidal paces, he won't get that in the Belmont, plus if you look at recent history with poly type horses (AK, Went the day Well, Pioneerofthenile) do well at CD, then showing nothing at Pim & Bel.

peeptoad
05-21-2012, 03:00 PM

Correction: that should say "Street Life".

Capper Al
05-21-2012, 04:49 PM

I gave him 30-1 odds...

Offer 10/1 to give up the bet now, if you think IHA will do it.

horses4courses
05-21-2012, 08:35 PM
As I mentioned before, I had a chance in March to bet any horse winning TC @ 11-1 odds. As far as the math goes, it's a value bet.
There is no way that a Preakness/Belmont parlay pays much more than 7-1.
No matter who is going for it.

$200 on it would have left me in a nice spot for laying off on other horses in the Belmont.
Any time you can lock up a nice profit for a small risk, it's worth a shot.
34 years, though....... :(

burnsy
05-21-2012, 09:03 PM
i voted no the first time but changed to yes this time. hes being underated, the wins are coming easy and his running style is as great fit. if the kid sits chilly, the tactics won't work. this horse has very good tracking ability. the down side is that this has been a very weird race when theres a triple crown on the line. i was 15 when it happened last time....i think he gets it done.

TJC
05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
I got 8/1 on May 11 at Green Valley Ranch race book on IHA to win Triple Crown. Could have had 7/2 on him to win Preakness but didn't bite.

If he wins Belmont and pays more than $4.20, parlay would have been better.

TJC

NYPlayer
05-21-2012, 10:33 PM

And I don't see why its so inconceivable that both Bodemeister and IHA lose the Belmont.

How far back was Dullahan in the Derby? As I recall, he was mere inches from winning the place photo.

Greyfox
05-21-2012, 10:50 PM
And I don't see why its so inconceivable that both Bodemeister and IHA lose the Belmont.

How far back was Dullahan in the Derby? As I recall, he was mere inches from winning the place photo.

Bodemeister can't lose the Belmont. ;)

horses4courses
05-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Bodemeister can't lose the Belmont. ;)

I agree - he won't run.

Grits
05-22-2012, 04:42 PM
http://www.drf.com/blogs/triple-crown-stoppers

What they've had in common.

NYPlayer
05-22-2012, 09:30 PM

I gave him 30-1 odds...

I'm thinking this guy is more shrewd than you realize. He might be the only one in the country with that kind of odds.

Simple Syrup
05-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Run this race 100 times, and I think IHA wins a plurality of them, but not a majority. As said before, I'll be cheering for him, but betting against him.

Pace Cap'n
05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't give 30/1 that a piss ant couldn't eat a bale of hay.

nijinski
05-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Mike Harrington's opinion , Daily news :

As for I’ll Have Another, “I think he’ll win the Triple Crown,” Harrington said. “I think my horse is the only horse that can outrun him.”

turninforhome10
05-23-2012, 02:42 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/69956/cauthen-compares-affirmed-ill-have-another

Sysonby
05-23-2012, 02:52 AM
No offence to Harrington, but CC has had three chances to beat IHA lately. Just exactly when was he going to start?

nijinski
05-23-2012, 04:08 AM
No offence to Harrington, but CC has had three chances to beat IHA lately. Just exactly when was he going to start?

The only thing wrong with CC is his trainer . Speaking for myself of course .
I'm sure some people like him . I can't bet on him .
I hope he was kidding when he made that statement .

Jingle
05-23-2012, 07:30 AM
:ThmbUp: Would love to see him win the Triple Crown. Would be great for the Conections, the Thorobred Industry, and the Country.

I was hoping someone would say that everytime there is a Triple Crown Winner (not often) the Stock Market hits a new high but I'm a dreamer.

Hajck Hillstrom
05-23-2012, 02:41 PM
I voted nay for the simple reason it would render my Fred Stone print of The American Triple Crown 1919-1978 incomplete.

BlinkersOn
05-24-2012, 12:41 AM
I think Dullahan is the only real competition, and the only horse that really worries me. A super is going to consist of I'll Have Another in 1st and 2nd keyed with the rest. Even if I don't win a thing, I'll be thrilled to have a TC winner.

turninforhome10
05-24-2012, 01:39 AM
All this talk of Dullahan. How did his 1/2 brother Mine That Bird, who was by a Belmont winner do in the Belmont? That's right he was third in a five horse field beating two nobody's. Food for thought.

Robert Goren
05-24-2012, 05:00 AM
Dullahan looks to me like the classic closer that always gets past the pack but seldom wins. They are always a temptation when stretching out to a longer distance but are a big money waster in the long run. They do win a race one in a blue moon when the track is favoring deep closers, but how often does that happen. I have bet them time and time again and everytime I swear never again. Right now I wouldn't touch him with Bigmack's money, but by the time they run this race, I may give into the temptation.

Dahoss9698
05-24-2012, 08:02 AM
All this talk of Dullahan. How did his 1/2 brother Mine That Bird, who was by a Belmont winner do in the Belmont? That's right he was third in a five horse field beating two nobody's. Food for thought.

I don't necessarily like Dullahan, but Mine That Bird didn't exactly get a good ride (shocking) in the Belmont. That premature move on the turn is a death sentence at Belmont and after making that move he was spent.

And Mine That Bird's Belmont had more than 5 runners in it.

pandy
05-24-2012, 08:22 AM
I've picked against all of the potential T.C. winners in the Belmont, except for Smarty Jones, who I wasn't confident about, but I'm leaning towards I'll Have Another right now. Bottom line, he has the running style and pedigree to love the distance and Union Rags appears the only horse with enough talent to compete with him, but if I'll Have Another runs a similar figure that he put up in his last two wins Union Rags is going to have to run much faster than he ever has.

Robert Fischer
05-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Mine That Bird wasn't as talented as Dullahan. He was more accomplished, but was more subject to the pace, with less of a stretch run. Physically it would be hard to tell they are at all related.

I'll Have Another is the key here. As long as the he doesn't stay with an extremely slow pace, IHA will have first run on horses like Dullahan. If IHA finishes strong like the Preakness and Derby he wins. I don't expect Dullahan or Union Rags to run some tremendous Zenyatta stretch-run to overtake a strong finish from IHA.

If the pace is CRAWLING and they all get a fair shot at the top of the stretch it's more wide open. Dullahan would be a threat, Union Rags would like the distance a lot better.

turninforhome10
05-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't necessarily like Dullahan, but Mine That Bird didn't exactly get a good ride (shocking) in the Belmont. That premature move on the turn is a death sentence at Belmont and after making that move he was spent.

And Mine That Bird's Belmont had more than 5 runners in it.
You are correct http://www.belmontstakes.com/UserFiles/file/2009.pdf

No more Wiki. Sorry for the confusion.