PDA

View Full Version : ARE THE O'S FOR REAL ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

cj's dad
05-19-2012, 12:54 PM
2nd best record in all of baseball. Lead the majors in home runs.

Fans here are holding their breath waiting for the fall.

Will it happen ?

Rookies
05-19-2012, 01:03 PM
I think MY team, north of the 49th. is the more real deal, D. Js have 5 quality starters, with the old man being 28! If some of the hitters start coming alive, a Wild Card berth is certainly possible.

If only we had other than an "idiot closer", half the time, we'd be leading the Rays! :ThmbUp: But, good luck to us both in a changing of the guard!:ThmbUp:

cj
05-19-2012, 01:10 PM
Starting to remind me of the "Why nOt?" season.

BetHorses!
05-19-2012, 01:11 PM
I have my own reasons but yes :)

DigitalDownsJoe
05-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Good young pitching has kept them in every game. I'm from Baltimore, living in Florida now, and I have suffered many disappointing seasons. I watched an owner who gave up after what Albert Bell did, and then the steroid scandel just ruined this team for many years. Its great to see getting back to what made Baltimore a powerhouse in the 70's and 80's good farms system and great coaching. Man I miss Earl Weaver! He was an intense coach who sparked the team in a close game. I am excited for what this season has in store, and even if we dont win the division, its great to be playing good baseball this year. It actually started the end of last season when we ruined the red sox chances(highlight of the decade in sports for me). Anyways, O-R-I-O-L-E-S!!!!! GO O's!!

cj's dad
05-20-2012, 06:05 PM
I had the DISTINCT pleasure of meeting Brooks Robinson today at Pappas restaurant in Parkville Md. Both cj and JR have been their- great place.

What a super person he is. 5 minute talk with him. I recounted my O's memories of his plays, as in 70 vs the Reds. He was impresses with my knowledge of the O's history. How many cn say that they bought a HOF guy a Coke??

What a day.

JustRalph
05-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I had the DISTINCT pleasure of meeting Brooks Robinson today at Pappas restaurant in Parkville Md. Both cj and JR have been their- great place.

What a super person he is. 5 minute talk with him. I recounted my O's memories of his plays, as in 70 vs the Reds. He was impresses with my knowledge of the O's history. How many cn say that they bought a HOF guy a Coke??

What a day.

Of all the days for me to miss.......Damn!! That would have a been a great one.

OTM Al
05-20-2012, 08:11 PM
2nd best record in all of baseball. Lead the majors in home runs.

Fans here are holding their breath waiting for the fall.

Will it happen ?

You know I thought they would turn this corner 2 years ago and I'm glad they finally have, but it is way too early for expectations like this. Remember how giddy people were about Pittsburgh last year? That said though, definitely hope they can keep playing well.

cj
05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
You know I thought they would turn this corner 2 years ago and I'm glad they finally have, but it is way too early for expectations like this. Remember how giddy people were about Pittsburgh last year? That said though, definitely hope they can keep playing well.

I think he meant the fall, as in the standings. Could be wrong though...

cj's dad
05-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Yes son, folks here are thinking that the bubble will burst, but apparently it has not done so. This has been fun so far- hope it keeps up.

JustRalph
05-20-2012, 10:05 PM
They won the series against the Nats, but Strasberg had a big day. Incuding a home run.

cj's dad
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
And a double- WTF is the pitcher doing throwing change ups in both situations ???

Striker
05-20-2012, 11:12 PM
On a farm system note, I hear Dylan Bundy is dominating Class A ball on the mound for them. Outside chance that he gets to the big club close to the end of the season.

OTM Al
05-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Yes son, folks here are thinking that the bubble will burst, but apparently it has not done so. This has been fun so far- hope it keeps up.

Looks like the crowds are starting to come back a little too. Such a nice place to see a game.

Track Collector
05-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Pitching has been very good, especially the starters.

I think they will probably finish right around .500, as they still have too many weaknesses in their batting line up. Lots of guys getting their first looks at the majors.

They are clearly a better team than previous years, and Buck has them playing hard and smart.

I'm going to enjoy the ride as long as I can.

DigitalDownsJoe
05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
I predict they will actually be in the hunt later then you think.. 85-90 wins in a tough division that should leave no one more then 10 games out..Yes I am excited, but we finally have a coach that brings the best out of his players.

ElKabong
05-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Looks like the crowds are starting to come back a little too. Such a nice place to see a game.

No kidding..... When the Rangers played there recently I was shocked to see all the empty seats on the teevee.

Local tv crews here interviewed people in the stands (some Texans on the O's), the few folks that were interviewed seemed like great, knowledgeable baseball folk...there just weren't many of them

cj
05-22-2012, 01:09 AM
No kidding..... When the Rangers played there recently I was shocked to see all the empty seats on the teevee.

Local tv crews here interviewed people in the stands (some Texans on the O's), the few folks that were interviewed seemed like great, knowledgeable baseball folk...there just weren't many of them

Baltimore is a great baseball town. However, losing that much after literally 3 decades of nothing but winning can wear you down. It wasn't just losing, but the piss poor management. The front office needs to win the fans back, because more than anything they lost them.

DigitalDownsJoe
05-22-2012, 03:45 AM
Steriods and Albert Belle killed Angelos...Its taken this long to go back to what the did before they tried playing baseball the NY way..Buying talent is less fullfilling then building your team through developing drafted talent!

cj
05-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Steriods and Albert Belle killed Angelos...Its taken this long to go back to what the did before they tried playing baseball the NY way..Buying talent is less fullfilling then building your team through developing drafted talent!

The Orioles were in the tank long before steroids. Joey Belle is a great example of what brought this once great franchise down. There was too much careless spending on bad free agents, and no development in the once plentiful farm system.

melman
05-25-2012, 11:33 AM
If this report turns out to be true, and I believe it will, then the O's IMO have made the right move. Adam Jones is the best player on the team and he is just coming into his prime.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120525&content_id=32204386&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

cj's dad
05-25-2012, 12:17 PM
If this report turns out to be true, and I believe it will, then the O's IMO have made the right move. Adam Jones is the best player on the team and he is just coming into his prime.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120525&content_id=32204386&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Hasn't been reported locally that I've heard but I hope it is true. Jones, Markakis, and Reimold (when healthy), comprise possibly the best defensive OF in the AL.

Jones and Wieters could be neck and neck for the teams best position player, IMO.

KingChas
05-26-2012, 01:02 AM
folks here are thinking that the bubble will burst, but apparently it has not done so. This has been fun so far- hope it keeps up.

Get back to you at the all- star break................ ;)

witchdoctor
05-26-2012, 03:48 PM
On a farm system note, I hear Dylan Bundy is dominating Class A ball on the mound for them. Outside chance that he gets to the big club close to the end of the season.

http://seamheads.com/2012/05/20/a-tale-of-two-teenagers/

melman
05-27-2012, 11:51 AM
cj's dad--The Jones deal is done. Right now on MLB network they are having a news conference. Six years 85.5 mil. Good move by the O's.

cj's dad
05-27-2012, 12:25 PM
cj's dad--The Jones deal is done. Right now on MLB network they are having a news conference. Six years 85.5 mil. Good move by the O's.

Largest ever O's contract.

Striker
05-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Jones has got a nice 18 game hitting streak going into today.

cj's dad
05-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm guessing it is the longest in the majors ?

Rookies
05-28-2012, 07:12 PM
The 2 Birds flocking off tonight against each other for 3, D!

HoofedInTheChest
05-28-2012, 07:13 PM
We'll find out tonight with the big bad Jays starting rotation.......... brother, this is starting to hurt!

cj's dad
05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
No worires- Tommy Hunter pitching- king of the home run. Mark this one up in the loss column. Have now lost 6 of 8, Is this where the free fall begins ??

Rookies
05-28-2012, 10:00 PM
G1: BJs 6-2

6- Doughnut going into the 9th before Francesco Cordero tried to help the O's to victory! :bang:

rastajenk
05-29-2012, 06:38 AM
That was a hard thing to get used to when he was a Red. Every save came with a walk or a couple hits just to make things, uh, interesting.

cj's dad
05-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Is the bubble about to burst ? The O's have lost 6 of 8 and face 8 more on the road.

OTM Al
05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Is the bubble about to burst ? The O's have lost 6 of 8 and face 8 more on the road.

Not if they can maintain anything like the success they've had on the road. All the teams in the AL East look very much the same when looking at current run differentials, so if they can keep doing what they are doing, an above .500 record is very possible. Ups and downs over a week or two are givens. They play hard and no longer stink. None of the other teams in the divison are going to run away and hide.

The one team I'd say the bubble is going to burst on is the Mets and also possibly Cleveland.

HoofedInTheChest
05-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Not to worry, the Jays pitching staff will hand you the next two wins. Romero looks like he is about to crap himself lately. I have to tip my hat to Hutchison last night, he usually gets lit up. It's a shame, the boys can really hit but Anthopolos needs to bring in some quality pitching.

Rookies
05-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Not to worry, the Jays pitching staff will hand you the next two wins. Romero looks like he is about to crap himself lately. I have to tip my hat to Hutchison last night, he usually gets lit up. It's a shame, the boys can really hit but Anthopolos needs to bring in some quality pitching.

I could be wrong...;)

BUT, Romero (unless he has some hidden arm problems) is a legit ace. I think he'll right the 'BB' ship soon. And after all, even with the 'crap himself' profile, he's 5-1 with an ERA under 4. Not CY Young material, but hardly a dog.

I agree with your hitting point. They need at least one more bat, a real Stopper and perhaps Vlad the Impaler can be a legit DH... soon...

To me, this is potentially the most positive year in a decade and I will be enjoying it.

Hope both birds knock off the big 3 in the AL-E.

HoofedInTheChest
05-29-2012, 07:09 PM
I could be wrong...;)

BUT, Romero (unless he has some hidden arm problems) is a legit ace. I think he'll right the 'BB' ship soon. And after all, even with the 'crap himself' profile, he's 5-1 with an ERA under 4. Not CY Young material, but hardly a dog.

I agree with your hitting point. They need at least one more bat, a real Stopper and perhaps Vlad the Impaler can be a legit DH... soon...

To me, this is potentially the most positive year in a decade and I will be enjoying it.

Hope both birds knock off the big 3 in the AL-E.
I completely agree with everything you said, but i find he lacks the mental tuffness to be a real ace. He seems to lose confidence in himself, he shoud pitch like an arrogant prick with that kind of talent.

Rookies
05-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Hoofed...

Are you out a WO tomorrow night?

If so, we have a little group that sits outside on the 3rd level...

Rookies
05-29-2012, 11:15 PM
G2: BJs 8-6. Romero goes to 6-1 with a WHIP in this one just >1, but gives up 2 dingers.

Jays pen again tries to give it away to the Os... but falls short. I believe the Os have scored 15 against the Js in the 8th/9th this season.

Not good... at all!:ThmbDown:

DigitalDownsJoe
05-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Im going to the O's game in Tampa on Sunday, I am really excited, as I usually go twice a year(its almost a 3 hour drive for me). This is the first time, I actually expect them to win, although I am on a 3 game winning streak going into Sunday. GO O'S!!! I wonder who is scheduled in the rotation for Sunday..hmmmmm

cj's dad
05-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Jake Arieta will be on 4 days rest or it could be Tommy Hunters (optioned) replacement in the rotation.

DigitalDownsJoe
05-30-2012, 11:35 AM

DigitalDownsJoe
06-04-2012, 12:13 AM
O's lost 8-4 and really the defense lost the game for them. The third baseman is terrible. He had 3 plays that cost them atleast 4 runs. He also struck out with 2 on and knocked into a double play. Tolleson is garbage

Striker
06-04-2012, 05:06 PM
The O's are going to go after and get a top notch college pitcher in tonights draft. If Stanford's Mark Appel falls to them at #4 they will take him but that probably won't happen, and they could get LSU's Kevin Gausman or San Francisco's Kyle Zimmer. Any of those 3 will help in the very near future.

Marshall Bennett
06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Orioles seem to be going the same route as the Indians. Both have played well, but in the larger scheme there's really not a whole lot there.
Even the Astros as pathetic as they are, nearly made it back to .500 and were rolling, then dropped 8 straight.
I truly like the Rangers chances. Their pitching isn't at it's best currently, but their hitting is so far superior top to bottom over others, how can they not be there in October?

cj's dad
06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
The O's are going to go after and get a top notch college pitcher in tonights draft. If Stanford's Mark Appel falls to them at #4 they will take him but that probably won't happen, and they could get LSU's Kevin Gausman or San Francisco's Kyle Zimmer. Any of those 3 will help in the very near future.

And they also have Dylan Bundy who has at la st last check given up one run in 30+ innings.

Striker
06-04-2012, 11:18 PM
And they also have Dylan Bundy who has at la st last check given up one run in 30+ innings.
They got Gausman from LSU and passed on the guy from Stanford. Yep, I posted about Bundy in post #13.

Bettowin
06-05-2012, 09:55 AM

Picked him up in my fantasy baseball keeper league. Looking forward to next year.

cj's dad
06-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Beat the hated (by me) Sawx in the late innings 2 games in a row.

cj's dad
07-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Apparently not.

Poor pitching after Hammens and Chen.
Strikeout king in Reynolds
Poor defense
Injuries to Markakis and Reimold
Poor bench

Oh well, it was fun for a while.

Valuist
07-02-2012, 03:57 PM
They were just talking about the O's on sportsmemo. Here's all you need to know about their recent troubles:

Last 15 games, a total of 39 runs scored.

That isn't going to work in the AL.

KingChas
07-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Apparently not.

Poor pitching after Hammens and Chen.
Strikeout king in Reynolds
Poor defense
Injuries to Markakis and Reimold
Poor bench

Oh well, it was fun for a while.

Yankees
Red Sox
AL East.............. ;)

witchdoctor
07-07-2012, 01:39 PM
CJ Dad,

A good story about the Bundy's Dad and how the boys were brought up.

http://pinetarpress.com/9-innings-denver-bundy-father-bobby-dylan-bundy/

Track Collector
07-08-2012, 07:13 PM
As a long-suffering Oriole fan I have seen this movie before.

Showalter, though, is doing a great job with the (lack of) talent and injuries. We can only hope they are doing the right things to slowly get better.

Hitting in particular is extremely weak and the line-up looks mostly like that of a AAA team. This is especially evident against good teams.

They have started the elevator ride to the bottom of the AL East.

Final stop....71 to 73 wins.

Valuist
07-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Showalter must be doing something right. The Orioles are 45-40 despite being a net minus 30 in runs this season (3rd worst in the American League). They must be winning the one run games.

cj's dad
07-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Showalter must be doing something right. The Orioles are 45-40 despite being a net minus 30 in runs this season (3rd worst in the American League). They must be winning the one run games.

15-7 in one run games.

Valuist
07-09-2012, 11:23 AM
15-7 in one run games.

That's the sign of either a good manager, a good bullpen, or a combination of both.

cj's dad
07-09-2012, 03:30 PM
That's the sign of either a good manager, a good bullpen, or a combination of both.

Buck is top notch and All Star selection, reliever Jim Johnson, is having a banner year. Hopefully for us O's fans Markakis is back soon.

SS Manny Machado is rated one of the top prospects in AAA ball and may get called up soon. He is a SS but Buck sent orders down to give him some time at 3rd.

The one guy that should not be rushed is pitcher Dylan Bundy. The destruction of Texas' David Clyde is still fresh in my mind. Steven Strasburg could also be cited. He lost a year but at least he seems to have come back at a top level.

melman
07-09-2012, 05:22 PM
cj's dad--Did you see Sunday's O's/Angels game?? Wish I could of heard what Buck told his team after the game. Here's the deal. Angels and TWO outs and a runner on base. The Angel hitter flies out to CF. The ENTIRE O's team STAYS on the field. I have seen a player foget how many outs there are but never a whole team. The Angels where dumbfounded and tried to sneak another hitter up. :lol: Talk about not having your heads in the game. :)

melman
07-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Not a O's note but one of interest. Pitcher Zack Greinke will be joining a very very RARE club on Friday. That would be pitchers would have started 3 games in a row. Not done since 1917. It goes this way, Zach threw four pitches on Sat and was tossed by the ump for arguing to much about the call at first base. So the Brewers manager deceided to start him again on Sunday. After the All Star break in the first game back on Friday once again Greinke will start the game.

cj's dad
07-10-2012, 07:09 AM
cj's dad--Did you see Sunday's O's/Angels game?? Wish I could of heard what Buck told his team after the game. Here's the deal. Angels and TWO outs and a runner on base. The Angel hitter flies out to CF. The ENTIRE O's team STAYS on the field. I have seen a player foget how many outs there are but never a whole team. The Angels where dumbfounded and tried to sneak another hitter up. :lol: Talk about not having your heads in the game. :)

Yep- sitting with friends and we're wondering what the hell is going on.

Talk about an embarrassing moment.

I bet it was a quiet flight home.

melman
07-10-2012, 07:51 AM
cj's dad---The O's pitching staff may just have some hope. This young guy Gonzalez who pitched on Friday vs the Angles was very impressive. Seven innings of three hit ball with only one run allowed. This against a team that has been pounding the ball for a month now. Don't know how high the organization is on him but it was very impressive for a debut appearance. I'm sure he will get plenty of chances in the 2nd half of the season.

cj's dad
07-10-2012, 08:08 AM
I saw the first 3 innings. Hate the west coast games. Start here at 10 PM. Old guys like me can't hang.

Yes, he looked very sharp. The guys that killed the O's were Arietta, Home Run Tommy Hunter, and Matucz who seems to have lost confidence along with his fastball. Hammen seems to be tapering off; maybe he can't take the pressure of being the stopper.

O's are trying to acquire Greinke. If they are sucessful, he would likely move to #1, which might take the pressure off of Casey.

2nd half of the season should be interesting, though I am not very optimistic. One gerts that way after 14 years of losing.

melman
07-10-2012, 08:34 AM
cj's dad--Still should be plenty of interest for O's fans. As reported in today's paper the O's reinstated outfielder Nick Markakis from the DL. Plus if the season ended today the O's would be in the playoffs. One game wild cald game vs the Angels. Winner of that would then take on the Yanks. In pro sports today it's not so much winning a division or best record it's just get into the playoffs. Worked well for the NFL Giants and MLB Cards last year. Even more so with the 8th seeded LA Kings. Get hot at the end of the year and hope. :) Greinke would be a great addition. Also, hey I'm far from a spring chicken myself. I watch some of those west coast games the next morning on MLB.TV. :)

DigitalDownsJoe
07-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Go O's! I was a little worried last week, but I think our team is just too well coached to atleast have a shot at the wild card. I just hate the sox and yanks(not in that order) If we cant do it, I hope someone else can take them out. Yes, in the last 14 years I have spent just routing against these two juggernauts..LOL

cj's dad
07-12-2012, 08:17 AM
O's are trying to acquire Greinke. If they are sucessful, he would likely move to #1, which might take the pressure off of Casey.

I meant Jason. For some odd reason, I tend to refer to Hammen as Casey. :confused:

melman
07-12-2012, 09:17 AM
cj's dad---NOT to be a smart alec but you also messed up Jason's last name. It's Jason Hammel. I know because I like the last part of his name. :lol:

Marshall Bennett
07-12-2012, 09:38 AM
O's are currently tied with the Indians at 50-1 odds to win the World Series. Yankees are 4-1 followed by Rangers at 9-2. :cool:

cj's dad
07-14-2012, 01:14 PM
cj's dad---NOT to be a smart alec but you also messed up Jason's last name. It's Jason Hammel. I know because I like the last part of his name. :lol:

For some stupid reason I mess this guys name up constantly. Senility rearing it's ugly head.

BTW- I also have the good fortune of seeing the Nats play as every game is on TV here. Tonight Gio Gonzalez is pitching. Leads the NL in victories (12), fewest hits per 9 innings (6) and HR's per 9 (.4). He's a joy to watch.

IdaBet.com
07-14-2012, 01:56 PM
As an O's fan and Baltimore native, like you I thought they were real. I see your post was back in May and well 'hon' things have changed. We are still in the wild card hunt, but that is sinking fast. It's been a shame it's been so long without a winner. It was fun while it lasted, but it's too bad it won't go on much longer.

ElKabong
07-14-2012, 09:17 PM
The Orioles' former Longhorn Taylor Teagarden just hit a walkoff HR to beat Detroit.

I miss Tee,.... sure wish we hadn't traded him, but he wasn't amongst Mike Young's inner circle (neither was CJ Wilson, thus, gone). He has good power at the plate and is an underrated catcher. Has a lot of PB's, but is a good receiver

cj
07-14-2012, 09:43 PM
The Orioles' former Longhorn Taylor Teagarden just hit a walkoff HR to beat Detroit.

I miss Tee,.... sure wish we hadn't traded him, but he wasn't amongst Mike Young's inner circle (neither was CJ Wilson, thus, gone). He has good power at the plate and is an underrated catcher. Has a lot of PB's, but is a good receiver

He is a decent enough backup catcher, but I wouldn't go much farther than that.

cj's dad
07-14-2012, 09:44 PM

The walk off was pretty cool. The place went bonkers. It's a fun thing when your team is winning. I'm now watching the Nats- they're fun too.

judd
07-15-2012, 09:00 AM
NO, THE PIRATES ARE FOR REAL

ElKabong
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
cjd,

The Nats are very fun to watch. Team of the future in the NL (and I like watching quite a few teams over there), that's a helluva lineup they have over there

For a traditional baseball fan, these are the good old days. Pitching and defense are at a premium, but the bats are still much needed....very soon speed will be what everyone is looking for (since PEDs are being tested for). I haven't been this high on the great game since I was a kid. The game has found a balance again

cj's dad
07-15-2012, 07:05 PM
NO, THE PIRATES ARE FOR REAL

You Pittsburghers are all alike.

Start your own damn thread.

cj's dad
07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
O's have lost 6 of 7. Doesn't look good, and Jason Hammen is on the 30 day DL.

Marshall Bennett
07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Bout time to retire this thread and go with another team. They're done. :lol:
Pirates are interesting and somewhat surprised with White Sox. Looks like a Rangers/Yankees showdown in the American though.

cj's dad
07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Pirates are interesting and somewhat surprised with White Sox. Looks like a Rangers/Yankees showdown in the American though.

Start your own thread about your team- leave this one alone please.

It's about the O's. If you don't want to comment, go elsewhere please.

The way to do this is under "NEW THREAD"

Marshall Bennett
07-19-2012, 07:08 AM
I'd never start a thread about the Astros. I'd close one with them though. :)

Valuist
07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd never start a thread about the Astros. I'd close one with them though. :)

Was surprised to see Carlos Lee playing for the Marlins. Somehow never heard about him getting traded from the Stros.

Valuist
07-19-2012, 04:59 PM
The Orioles and Cubs are both net minus 55 runs for the season. But check out the difference in win/loss records:

Orioles 48-44
Cubs 38-53

ldiatone
07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
ahhhh the buccos. gee for the first time in 19 years there is nothing but bucco talk and no steeler/pens talk this time of year on the sports talk show. 10 games over .500 and at least there is chance the team will have a winning season along w/ maybe making the playoffs. for the rest of the season, pirates play teams that have a combined record of .454. last year the record was .500+ a little more experience-#1 player(so far)-a free agent winning pitcher. and a 2nd year mananger. and of course...ZOLTAN

DigitalDownsJoe
07-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Britton looked sharp tonight. Maybe a ray of sunshine, nice win for the O's!! :jump:

DigitalDownsJoe
07-22-2012, 11:24 PM
This guy when keeps his pitches down in the zone is a very solid pitcher. He did that tonight! 5 in a row, just when I thought we were gonna tank, we bring it back on GO O R I O L E S

cj
07-22-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm always surprised when people write off or pump up teams based on a few good or bad weeks. It is baseball. It is a marathon.

cj's dad
07-23-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm always surprised when people write off or pump up teams based on a few good or bad weeks. It is baseball. It is a marathon.

Not giving up at all, just facing reality. I am still pleased overall with the O's season so far.

Buck is working miracles. The team lost Jason Hammen for a month at least, they did lose Markakis for 45 days and Reimold who was playing really well for the year, and they have no one who can play 3rd base. Betemit and Reynolds couldn't catch a cold in a rain storm.

Home run Tommy Hunter pitching tonight. Let's hope he makes it through 5-6 innings.

OTM Al
07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Not giving up at all, just facing reality. I am still pleased overall with the O's season so far.

Buck is working miracles. The team lost Jason Hammen for a month at least, they did lose Markakis for 45 days and Reimold who was playing really well for the year, and they have no one who can play 3rd base. Betemit and Reynolds couldn't catch a cold in a rain storm.

Home run Tommy Hunter pitching tonight. Let's hope he makes it through 5-6 innings.

Yanks were over due for a bad spot and the O's took big advantage. Much credit to them. A friend on my pool team a year or two back was happy becuase the Sox had managed to grow a 7 game lead over the Yanks and I reminded him it only takes one bad week to turn that right around, which is exactly what happened. Now when we talk about teams in such positions he always smiles and just says "one bad week".

witchdoctor
07-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Another Bundy story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1202597/index.htm

Track Collector
07-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Another Bundy story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1202597/index.htm

Great article witchdoctor. Thanks for sharing!

ElKabong
07-29-2012, 04:11 PM
O's up on the (newly) dangerous A's today in the 8th...hang on, O's

Switching channels last nite I had to do a double take on what i heard..."another patient at bat by Chris Davis"...something he never was charged of here. He was a mess mentally. Change of scenery was what he needed i guess......But thta's one guy I wish we hadn't traded. No one plays 1B better, he has power, and hit about .280 in his rookie yr at age 22

You don't give up on guys like that. Him and Taylor, I'd like to have back from the O's

cj's dad
07-30-2012, 10:44 AM
O's up on the (newly) dangerous A's today in the 8th...hang on, O's

Switching channels last nite I had to do a double take on what i heard..."another patient at bat by Chris Davis"...something he never was charged of here. He was a mess mentally. Change of scenery was what he needed i guess......But thta's one guy I wish we hadn't traded. No one plays 1B better, he has power, and hit about .280 in his rookie yr at age 22

You don't give up on guys like that. Him and Taylor, I'd like to have back from the O's

Chris Davis still strikes out too often. 102 K's in 325 or so plate appearances. I still like him overall. He fits in nicely with the O's. Mark Reynolds is the weak link right now.

BTW- Chen pitched an amazing game strike out wise yesterday. He pitched 5 2/3 innings (17 outs) and had 12 K's. When he was around the plate he was virtually unhittable.

cj's dad
08-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Hell of a comeback last night. O's down 5-0 after 0ne; come back with 7 in the 2nd, capped off by Chris davis' grand slam. Davis then proceded to strike ut 3 timees in a row. Newly acquired Omar Quintanilla (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/q/quintom01.shtml)*from the Mets has solidified the middle of the infield and Lew Ford. who has been kicking around the minors since 2007, has given the O's their first real let fielder since Reimold was DL'd.

Chance to sweep the Yanks this afternoon.

cj
08-01-2012, 11:40 AM
I keep hearing how great Weiters is, and I know defensively he is, but the hitting isn't very good. I'm starting to think it never will be.

cj's dad
08-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I keep hearing how great Weiters is, and I know defensively he is, but the hitting isn't very good. I'm starting to think it never will be.

You really think these are that bad ?

Games - 93
PA- 381
AB 340
R- 40
H -81
2B-16
3B-1
HR- 13
RBI-49

Marshall Bennett
08-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Batting less than .250, not that good either.

cj's dad
08-01-2012, 01:31 PM
.238 to be exact

Matt's nowhere near the problem. Mark Reynolds is. A butcher at 3rd and strikes out on pitches right down the middle.

You know most batters at the MLB level strike out on pitcher's pitches; hard slider, straight change, etc. Reynolds strikes out on balls out over the plate. Last check he was at .205

cj
08-01-2012, 02:30 PM
.238 to be exact

Matt's nowhere near the problem. Mark Reynolds is. A butcher at 3rd and strikes out on pitches right down the middle.

You know most batters at the MLB level strike out on pitcher's pitches; hard slider, straight change, etc. Reynolds strikes out on balls out over the plate. Last check he was at .205

I agree, Reynolds stinks. I hated it when he signed him, and I hate it even more now. Putting the ball in play in baseball is underrated in my opinion.

As for Weiters, I'm just saying more was expected at the plate, a lot more.

ElKabong
08-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Hell of a comeback last night. O's down 5-0 after 0ne; come back with 7 in the 2nd, capped off by Chris davis' grand slam. Davis then proceded to strike ut 3 timees in a row. Newly acquired Omar Quintanilla (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/q/quintom01.shtml)*from the Mets has solidified the middle of the infield and Lew Ford. who has been kicking around the minors since 2007, has given the O's their first real let fielder since Reimold was DL'd.

Chance to sweep the Yanks this afternoon.

Typical of CD, fans 3 times but is still productive. Power hitters strike out. It's a trade off for RBI production & you're lucky to have Chris....I'd sure like to see him back here in his home state.

Omar Q....the guy can field, has some range. Former UT Longhorn, but from what I hear he had a bit of an attitude at UT and kept that going his first few yrs in the Minors. I hope he gets his act together b/c his brand of baseball sells right now for MI's

Good to see Lew Ford back in the bigs...saw him play at Dallas Baptist U many yrs ago good for him!

cj's dad
08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
He's making his first start in the bigs. He is the son of Dave Johnson (one time O's pitcher). The kid is a Md. native and Dave is an occasional O's color commentator. Hope he gets to do tonights game.

O's should sweep. Millwood pitching for the M's; he's pretty bad.

Nice comeback last night. O's down 5-0 after 1 and 1/2 innings. Win in 14th.

Have now won 11 straight extra inning games.

cj's dad
08-09-2012, 08:50 AM
O's called upthis 20 year old from AA . Drafted as a SS he is going to start tonight vs. KC at 3rd base.

From what I've read he is a fielding whiz and will hit for power and average. I guess we'll see.

Hopefully, he's another Steve Trout or Bryce Harper.

cj
08-11-2012, 12:21 AM
O's called upthis 20 year old from AA . Drafted as a SS he is going to start tonight vs. KC at 3rd base.

From what I've read he is a fielding whiz and will hit for power and average. I guess we'll see.

WOW!

Zippy Chippy
08-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Jeez, the closer J Johnson has a ton of movement on his ball. Looks like he's throwing a wiffleball. Go Os.

cj's dad
08-16-2012, 09:43 AM
WOW!

He's the real deal Craig. Speed, power and defense. Made a Brooks type play last night on a slow roller up the 3rd base line.

Jeez, the closer J Johnson has a ton of movement on his ball. Looks like he's throwing a wiffleball. Go Os.

Johnson's the MAIN reason the O's are where they are. Saves record is incredible.

JustRalph
08-16-2012, 10:31 AM
I have to admit after watching them play in person a couple of games this season, they look very young. The next couple of years could be lots of fun if they continue to improve. As they mature it could get very interesting.

Tip: if you have an apple tv you can watch daily MLB highlights on demand and even go back a few days. All without the bullshit of ESPN announcers. It's a nice system

Valuist
08-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Steve Trout or Mike Trout? I guess Steve wasn't bad but I suspect you meant Mike.

cj's dad
08-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Wrong variety of fish

Zippy Chippy
08-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Who.was the orioles starting pitcher tonight? I'm at a bar. Never in my life have i seen more 57 foot pitches. The catcher definitely earned his money tonight. Also ive never seen a more stingy umpire. The strike zone tonight is the size of a thimble.

cj's dad
08-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Timlin- a head case

cj's dad
08-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Timlin- a head case

Once again I had a name wrong = it should have been Tillman- he did BTW blow a 3-1 lead

cj's dad
08-19-2012, 09:23 PM
O's down 5-0 after 1. rally to win 7-5. Amazing stat is that they are 51-0 when winning after 7.

Mark Reynolds is much improved since Manny Machado was called up and put at 3rd base.. All Mark has to do is play 1st base which he does quite well. His BA has gone up 15 or so points.

Hard part is thyat they now go to Texas- tough team. Hope to win 1 of 3.

cj's dad
08-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Yopur post from another thread:

If Chris Davis can hit pitches above the thigh in the strike zone someday, you just bagged an all star. Defensively he's 2nd only to Texiera that i can tell, has power, but has a problem w/ the upper half of the zone...k's a lot, but has improved.

I think all he needs is a patient mgr and hopefully Buck will give him some rope. The kid can play. If we didn't have Moreland they'd never have let Chris go...the R's have messed w/ the kid's head by playing him at 3rd a bit, he's a 1b and needs to stay put. Range, scoop, glove - he has all the defensive tools

Chris Davis homered in his first 3 plate appearances last night.

His current stats- .256 BA 23 HR and 64 RBI.

You called it Elk

ElKabong
08-25-2012, 01:11 PM
attaboy, Chris!

Hated to see him go. I'd have preferred him over Moreland, but the R's were in a championship drive in 2010, 2011, couldn't wait on Chris or T2 to develop & were running out of (minor league) options on both of them.

One or both of them will be very good for the O's for a long time.

I see where O'Day, and especially Strop, are pitching huge. Can't figure out why we let go of Strop. Most of us here had long term hope for that guy. He can pitch.

If the season ended today the O's and A's would be tied for that 2nd & final wild card slot. Detroit right behind them by a game. These are great days to be a baseball fan.

cj's dad
08-25-2012, 01:24 PM
The interest is back although it doesn;t show in the stands. Many fans got turned off by the losing, the prices are ridiculous and DC has a team which is definitely hurting as we have lost our fan base from DC and Northern Va.

ElKabong
08-25-2012, 01:40 PM
cjd,

The Nats are playing the best baseball of all right now, imo. They have a ton of confidence too. That group isn't afraid of anything or anyone it seems

Angelos took a lot of heat for his balking at the MLB Expos coming in 35 miles from Camden Yards.....turns out he's right, putting a 2nd franchise in the area was going to have an effect.

Even tho the DC area is greatly more populated now than it was in 1972 when the Sens left, it may not be big enuff for 2 teams....even if both are extremely good and fun to watch.

I hear you on the pricing of ballgames now. I get free tix 2-3 times a year behind the visitors dugout (8-10 rows back) from work. We have drawings for games that aren't attended by our customers in from Europe. If I had to pay the prices they ask for, I'd never go. Even the OF seats are high in relation to the value I place on going to games & that doesn't include parking, food & drink

Thye've about priced out the middle class to be honest. For a baseball fan to watch every game now it only costs $225 to get MLB Extra innings on tv. That makes more sense, at least to me it does. I'd blow thru the $200 in 2-3 games easily going to the ballpark

cj
08-29-2012, 12:22 AM
The interest is back although it doesn;t show in the stands. Many fans got turned off by the losing, the prices are ridiculous and DC has a team which is definitely hurting as we have lost our fan base from DC and Northern Va.

I was watching tonight on MLB TV. The team is fun to watch, but the stands at 12k was pretty ugly. It just shows what bad ownership can do to a franchise. It is going to take more than a wild card run to get the fans back.

JustRalph
08-29-2012, 02:03 AM
I was watching tonight on MLB TV. The team is fun to watch, but the stands at 12k was pretty ugly. It just shows what bad ownership can do to a franchise. It is going to take more than a wild card run to get the fans back.

It's a hell of nice place to see a game too. I loved it. I went to 2 games each of last 2 seasons. The sky boxes are small and expensive, but loved the atmosphere all over the park.

Easy to get to really. Which surprised me.

Valuist
08-29-2012, 09:45 AM
I heard somewhere recently that in year two of Showalter managing a team, in each case that team won at least 88 games. Happened in New York, Texas and Arizona. I don't think many felt the O's had a shot at 88 wins this year but at this point they definitely do.

cj
08-29-2012, 09:47 AM
It's a hell of nice place to see a game too. I loved it. I went to 2 games each of last 2 seasons. The sky boxes are small and expensive, but loved the atmosphere all over the park.

Easy to get to really. Which surprised me.

Camden Yards is great. It has been emulated several times already. They tried to pull it off in Texas, but it just isn't the same atmosphere.

cj's dad
08-29-2012, 10:06 AM
He pitched a 1 hitter over 7 last night. He has filled a huge gap since Jason Hammel (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hammeja01.shtml) went on the DL. He is due back soon.

#21- 3B Manny Machado (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/machama01.shtml) , #22- UT Lew Ford (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/fordle01.shtml), and #15 -LF NateMcLouth (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mclouna01.shtml)*have been huge additions. They have plugged serious holes in the O's defense.

Two more vs. the CWS (Thursday is a 12:15 start time) and then it's on to NY for a 3 game series with the Yankees. This could get interesting.

Valuist
08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Do the Nationals have any following in Baltimore? The O's were so bad for so long, can't help but wonder if they draw from there.

cj's dad
08-29-2012, 11:55 AM
I know a few folks went over to see the new stadium or see Strasberg pitch. Also, there are a lot of transplanted people here from other cities because there are so many govn't jobs in the area. They will travel there to see their old team play.

I don't see any hostility from Baltimoreans re: the Nats. I for one like them. Nothing would make me happier then seeing them in the WS. We are fortunate to have both baseball networks (O's and Nats ) on local cable and it is not unusual to see both games on TV at the local watering hole(s).

Our biggest dislike in the metro area is reserved for the Redskins.

The 2 counties adjacent to DC (Prince Georges and Montgomery) align themselves with the DC teams.

cj's dad
08-29-2012, 10:18 PM
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

The CWS are beating the O's 8-1 with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th, bases empty.

The relief pitcher is removed for a righty/lefty match up.

RYFKM ?

KingChas
09-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Get back to you at the all- star break................ ;)

CJD,they are making a for real believer out of me...................... :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
09-01-2012, 12:11 PM
CJD,they are making a for real believer out of me...................... :ThmbUp:

The O's have the better of the pitching matchup today; Chen 12-7 vs. Phelps 3-4

Mark Reynolds has improved his BA by 25 points in the last 30 games and is playing outstanding D at 1st base.

cj
09-01-2012, 05:22 PM
sdThe O's have the better of the pitching matchup today; Chen 12-7 vs. Phelps 3-4

Mark Reynolds has improved his BA by 25 points in the last 30 games and is playing outstanding D at 1st base.

Defense has really improved, but it killed them today.

Pace Cap'n
09-01-2012, 06:30 PM
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

The CWS are beating the O's 8-1 with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th, bases empty.

The relief pitcher is removed for a righty/lefty match up.

RYFKM ?

Reliever's folks were in town?

horses4courses
09-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Beat those darned Yankees, please!

Really be nice to see the O's in the playoffs again.
How long has it been?

cj's dad
09-01-2012, 08:50 PM
97Beat those darned Yankees, please!

Really be nice to see the O's in the playoffs again.
How long has it been?

cj's dad
09-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Tough Beat today

Robert Fischer
09-01-2012, 09:45 PM
O's drew 8 walks today.

pktruckdriver
09-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Let me give my take, and I have been an O's Fan for over 40 years, I think 1970 when I first watched them win a Series, Brooks, Boog, Frank and Jim was playing and we knew what winning was like, beating the Big Red Machine

But for today's team, making the playoff's or beating the Yankee's,( who I love to hate ), NO.

I remember when the O's were 0-21, I think in 88 to start the year, I was still an O's fan, like My Dolphins (but who may go winless this year),yet they are STILL the only unbeaten team, by a miracle if you ask me, but when will they ever get back to the Super Bowl, will it be my lifetime?

No to the Dolphins and the O's, sorry!!!

At least I can be happy for my college teams, they were winner recently.

patrick

cj
09-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Let me give my take, and I have been an O's Fan for over 40 years, I think 1970 when I first watched them win a Series, Brooks, Boog, Frank and Jim was playing and we knew what winning was like, beating the Big Red Machine

But for today's team, making the playoff's or beating the Yankee's,( who I love to hate ), NO.

I remember when the O's were 0-21, I think in 88 to start the year, I was still an O's fan, like My Dolphins (but who may go winless this year),yet they are STILL the only unbeaten team, by a miracle if you ask me, but when will they ever get back to the Super Bowl, will it be my lifetime?

No to the Dolphins and the O's, sorry!!!

At least I can be happy for my college teams, they were winner recently.

patrick

At least for one day I appreciate the mush.

cj's dad
09-02-2012, 11:57 PM
O's down early by 3-1. Score 7 unanswered runs. Crowd that stays go quiet.

Mark of a good team that can bounce back from a tough loss yesterday and trounce the 1st place team the next day.

4 game series with NY next weekend. Go O's.

ElKabong
09-03-2012, 03:42 AM
It's going to be a good race and fun to watch

To be perfectly honest, I'm impressed NYY has hung in there as long as they have with all the injuries they've had. No one will feel sorry for a team w/ a 200million salary on the books, but those are some real losses they've had to endure....and I'm not even counting Pettite, who would have caved on the workload if he'd stayed healthy imo

Girardi has done a helluva job

It's a 3-way race, it'll be very entertaining. Anything can happen from here on. Makes you want to say......"God, I love baseball"
-Roy Hobbs

cj's dad
09-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Beat the J's and the Yanks lose. This is becoming fun. At least for me.

Valuist
09-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Enjoy it this year because we will likely see a reversion to the mean in one run games in 2013 for the O's. They are 24-7 in one run games. Bullpen has done a great job, no question. 75-59 w/l despite minus 31 run differential. By comparison, the Mets are minus 28 in run differential with a 64-71 record.

JustRalph
09-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Beat the J's and the Yanks lose. This is becoming fun. At least for me.

I'm still cheering for them. Got to be good for Baltimore.

Boston is in the basement. That helps :lol:

pktruckdriver
09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Wow, over 7 teams with over 70 wins, what a year for baseball, and it may be easier to get the division won , than the wildcard, but as someone stated, it would be okay if the Yankee's fell on a nice losing streak, no love lost here.

But then the Yankee's are not the Mets or Cubs are they? NO!! So Baltimore will have to come and take from the Yankee;s if they want it, and I for one hope they do.

Patrick

Canarsie
09-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm still cheering for them. Got to be good for Baltimore.

Boston is in the basement. That helps :lol:

Now now you don't have to rub it in my degree of pain this season is very high. I have the entire 2004 playoffs on DVD might have to break them out to ease the hurt.

I'm rooting for the O's to overtake the Yankees and somehow Tampa gets the wild card over them.

cj
09-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Enjoy it this year because we will likely see a reversion to the mean in one run games in 2013 for the O's. They are 24-7 in one run games. Bullpen has done a great job, no question. 75-59 w/l despite minus 31 run differential. By comparison, the Mets are minus 28 in run differential with a 64-71 record.

Of course this is likely in one run games, but the O's are a young, improving team so some of that will be canceled out in my opinion.

cj's dad
09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
After yesterday the O's have now won 56 games in a row when leading after 7 innings.

horses4courses
09-04-2012, 09:39 PM
The Orioles are 6 outs away (x2) from being tied for first.

They currently lead Toronto 12-0 in the 8th, and the Yankees are losing in Tampa 5-2.

Go O's........ :ThmbUp:

I think it's great that lower budget teams can be competitive.
I'm a Giant's fan, and am enjoying their title race with the Dodgers.
Oakland being in the running with Texas, and ahead of LA, is amazing.
Big salary bills do not guarantee baseball titles..... :ThmbUp:

melman
09-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Hey cj's dad how ya like that, a RAIN delay in a ballpark with a ROOF. :lol: Made the pitchers mound a sloppy mess. Glad no one was hurt because of it.

melman
09-05-2012, 09:01 AM
horses4courses---Your a Giants Fan uh. Well AT&T is my favorite ballpark to see a game. Just beautiful. No wonder they sell out so much. Good team even better ballpark. AT&T then PNC in Pittsburgh also like Camden Yards and Minute Maid Park in Houston. Like my home ballpark of Citizens Bank in Philly also. Not a bad seat in the house. Only negative about AT&T what is up- with the garlic??? Uggh. :lol:

Zippy Chippy
09-06-2012, 07:37 PM
My whole life I've been a Yankee fan. I can't believe it, but I find myself rooting for the Os. Just fun to see new teams doing good. Go Os.

horses4courses
09-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Got the game on MLB-TV.......go O's!

ElKabong
09-06-2012, 08:55 PM
T
I think it's great that lower budget teams can be competitive.
I'm a Giant's fan, and am enjoying their title race with the Dodgers.
Oakland being in the running with Texas,:

Feel free to dogpile me if I'm wrong but I don't see Oak passing the Rangers. I don't say that as a Ranger fan, the loss of Colon will have an effect greater than most think....AND I just think the tank is running dry.

Wash gave the West a break by breaking down yet another bullpen arm (Ross) but I still think Texas gets it done by 4+

JMO

ElKabong
09-06-2012, 09:02 PM
o's 5-1 on the NYY in the 5th.....tied after tonite? with TB pitching always a factor this will be fun

I'll guess on nyy pulling it out, their schedule looks much easier than TB's &a bit easier than Balt.....if gerardi can keep that pitching staff together for 2 weeks he'll be happy i bet...MINN-TOR-BOS series to close out the season

horses4courses
09-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Feel free to dogpile me if I'm wrong but I don't see Oak passing the Rangers. I don't say that as a Ranger fan, the loss of Colon will have an effect greater than most think....AND I just think the tank is running dry.

Wash gave the West a break by breaking down yet another bullpen arm (Ross) but I still think Texas gets it done by 4+

JMO

I can't disagree with you there.
Oakland even being in the running in Sept. amazes me.

cj
09-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Roller coaster ride tonight!

ElKabong
09-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Three words...
Chris
F'n
Davis

cj
09-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Three words...
Chris
F'n
Davis

Davis is doing well, but his dinger tonight was after the game was pretty much done.

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2012, 12:20 AM
That was not a morale booster tonight...

ElKabong
09-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Davis is doing well, but his dinger tonight was after the game was pretty much done.

As an impartial observer, at least to the teams, Reynolds moonshot was the gamewinner, CD's blast was a kick in the teeth. NY just ran a guy in to face CD after Reynolds HR, CD then crushes one. A message of sorts "doesn't matter who you run in from the Pen" kind of thing. The crowd certainly got into it

WTF is the deal with the empty seats in Balt? Seriously. It's September vs NYY in a divisional race.

cj's dad
09-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Game recap:

Hammel 1st start off of the DL. Solid 5+ innings

O's up 6-1 going into the 8th. Strop blows the lead again. He last did it on Saturday 9/1 vs. the Yanks.

Game tied 6-6 going into bottom of the 8th.

1st batter, Adam Jones, homers deep into left, followed by a hit and a Mark Reynolds homer followed by a Chris Davis home run.

Reynolds now has 7 home runs in the last 7 games and he's playing 1st base like a gold glover.

Jim Johnson overmatches the Yankees in the 9th.

This team is young and talented. There is no quit in them which is a reflection IMO on Buck Showalter.

3 more games coming up and all are sold out or will be by game time.

Scalpers were asking as much as $200 last night for a $20 ticket. I don't know if they got it, but the stadium was not occupied by Yankee fans as in the past. There will probably be more here for the weekend. The good part of that is they are nowhere near as annoying as Socks fans, unless PA shows up.:faint:

cj
09-07-2012, 09:31 AM
As an impartial observer, at least to the teams, Reynolds moonshot was the gamewinner, CD's blast was a kick in the teeth. NY just ran a guy in to face CD after Reynolds HR, CD then crushes one. A message of sorts "doesn't matter who you run in from the Pen" kind of thing. The crowd certainly got into it

WTF is the deal with the empty seats in Balt? Seriously. It's September vs NYY in a divisional race.

Actually Adam Jones hit the game winner. Then Reynolds provided the two run insurance blast, then Davis.

As for the fans, I don't think you realize the disdain the ownership caused among them. It is going to take more than one pennant race to bring them all back. Baltimore is a great baseball town, but they have been crapped on for 15 years now.

Canarsie
09-07-2012, 09:45 AM
That was a great win for the O's last night considering the ramifications if they had lost. For a team who has never been in the hunt this late before they showed a lot of character picking up a pitcher who collapsed in the top of the eighth.

They really hit the ball hard last nights even some of their outs were really LOUD. If they win tonight there will be a lot of panic calls on the two talk radio stations in NYC tomorrow.

Canarsie
09-07-2012, 09:49 AM
My whole life I've been a Yankee fan. I can't believe it, but I find myself rooting for the Os. Just fun to see new teams doing good. Go Os.

I can't buy this no real fan roots against their team in a playoff hunt or getting a wild card. The only scenario I could see this is if your team was eliminated during the regular season.

I'm a Red Sox fan and can never imagine myself rooting against them. Would love to hear other opinions agreeing or disagreeing with my position.

cj's dad
09-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I can't buy this no real fan roots against their team in a playoff hunt or getting a wild card. The only scenario I could see this is if your team was eliminated during the regular season.

I'm a Red Sox fan and can never imagine myself rooting against them. Would love to hear other opinions agreeing or disagreeing with my position.

Agreed, I could never rot against the O's.

cj's dad
09-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Last nights game was announced as a sellout as early as noon yesterday.

ElKabong
09-07-2012, 09:23 PM
cjd,

Ya, I saw that in the box score, but on Jones HR you could see a lot of empty seats in deep LF....Lot of empty seats.

And tonite, same thing in the 3rd inning when the 3b camera (pointing across the field) on Hughes showed a lot of empty prime seats down the right field line. To an out of towner that doesn't make sense, but your son explained how the fans soured on Angelos.....this i didn't know....i knew he was a bad owner overall and was stubborn in the Nats move (can't blame him there) but didn't know the extent of the dislike by the fans

My guess is a lot of those seats are corporate purchases, folks didn't show up....i know our company here gives prime tickets to customers, many times they don't go & the seats are empty. Even for big games

PaceAdvantage
09-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Nice win tonight...Alex's HR made the difference in the end...I know ElK hates when that happens...

ElKabong
09-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Love it! Going to make the playoffs more enjoyable....who is A-Rod going to freeze at the plate on a 2-strike count for the last out of the series vs Texas this season? :)

cj's dad
09-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Nice win tonight...Alex's HR made the difference in the end...I know ElK hates when that happens...

So when ya comin' down to Bawlmer for a game ?

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2012, 01:43 PM
So when ya comin' down to Bawlmer for a game ?Would love to...only been there once and had a great time watching the Yankees beat the O's...yes, I'm one of those people you love to hate (except I'm not obnoxious, although I was wearing a piece of clothing with a Yankee insignia on it, although it was very low key...not in your face at all...lol)

cj
09-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Don't you have to wonder how good Sabathia would be if he actually got in shape?

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Nah...why mess with success?

cj
09-08-2012, 07:50 PM

I'll assume you are joking. He is no doubt very good, but I have to believe if he wasn't fat he'd be better.

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2012, 07:53 PM
I wasn't joking, really...I would actually worry that if he slimmed down substantially, he wouldn't be as good a pitcher, given that he's been like this for so long...

cj
09-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I wasn't joking, really...I would actually worry that if he slimmed down substantially, he wouldn't be as good a pitcher, given that he's been like this for so long...

I guess at this point you could be right. However, had he done it when he was younger, I imagine his career would have been even better.

the little guy
09-08-2012, 10:00 PM
In the " if you can't beat 'em, injure 'em " category, Sabathia ended Markakis's season.

There will never be an easier team to root against than the Quarter of a Billion Dollar boys.

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2012, 10:28 PM
In the " if you can't beat 'em, injure 'em " category, Sabathia ended Markakis's season.

There will never be an easier team to root against than the Quarter of a Billion Dollar boys.So you're saying that was intentional? Really?

I say you're wrong.

If you're not saying that, then I apologize in advance... :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Those O's get all the calls... :rolleyes:

the little guy
09-08-2012, 10:36 PM
So you're saying that was intentional? Really?

I say you're wrong.

If you're not saying that, then I apologize in advance... :lol:

I never said it was intentional. Neither was the call at the end of the game.

I would prefer Sabathia hadn't ended Markakis's season and the right call was made....but I guess you can't have everything ( even if your payroll does exceed the national debt ).

the little guy
09-08-2012, 10:37 PM

How quickly you forgot the '96 Playoffs.

the little guy
09-08-2012, 10:42 PM

I actually think the ump blew the call because he was distracted by the sheer stupidity of the 22 Million Dollar Man sliding into 1st.

andtheyreoff
09-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I actually think the ump blew the call because he was distracted by the sheer stupidity of the 22 Million Dollar Man sliding into 1st.

Who cares about the payroll, or the hit by pitch, or the 1996 ALCS? It's irrelevant.

The call was a disgrace. It was first and third, one out, Yankees down by one in a game that just so happened to have MAJOR implications on the AL East race. If the correct call is made, it's a tied game, runner on first, and A-Rod coming up to the plate.

IMO, if MLB will not implement instant replay, they should severely punish umpires that blow calls in situations like this.

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I actually think the ump blew the call because he was distracted by the sheer stupidity of the 22 Million Dollar Man sliding into 1st.I know some have debated the merits of sliding into first many times, but from watching the replay, I almost think it would have been closer had he not slid...is that even possible?

Sheer physics says no, not possible, but my eyes say yes...

cj
09-08-2012, 11:15 PM

We actually had a thread about that here at PA. It is a dumb play. I can't believe somebody that went to the same high school I did is stupid enough to slide into first.

cj
09-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I know some have debated the merits of sliding into first many times, but from watching the replay, I almost think it would have been closer had he not slid...is that even possible?

Your eyes are wrong.

One other thing to consider is this, and I know because I've done a lot of umpiring. One thing that helps make the call easier is when the guy runs through the bag, you hear two distinct sounds. You hear the ball hit the glove and you hear the foot hit the bag. With the slide, there is no sound.

ElKabong
09-09-2012, 01:22 AM
One other thing to consider is this, and I know because I've done a lot of umpiring. One thing that helps make the call easier is when the guy runs through the bag, you hear two distinct sounds. You hear the ball hit the glove and you hear the foot hit the bag. With the slide, there is no sound.

Mike Bacsik (fmr major lg pitcher) has said this over and over....every level of pro ball he played his coaches preached not sliding into 1b b/c umps universally listen for the sound of the ball into the glove vs the foot on the bag....and he said they normally call the sliding runner out at 1b

Not that it makes it right....Tex looked safe to me....but sliding wasn't smart in that instance maybe

btw, on my way home i had the radio on espn radio....they replayed Tex's comments about the umps wanting to go home, thus the out call....Tex was getting ripped unmercifully (by Bobby Valvano I think it was)

Too bad abt Markakis....I was watching football, didn't see that hbp.... At least a retaliation is in order

ElKabong
09-09-2012, 01:30 AM

I think that was Mickey Lolich's philosophy too...

Pace Cap'n
09-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Perhaps Sabbathia is slimmed down.

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Mike Bacsik (fmr major lg pitcher) has said this over and over....every level of pro ball he played his coaches preached not sliding into 1b b/c umps universally listen for the sound of the ball into the glove vs the foot on the bag....and he said they normally call the sliding runner out at 1b

Not that it makes it right....Tex looked safe to me....but sliding wasn't smart in that instance maybe

btw, on my way home i had the radio on espn radio....they replayed Tex's comments about the umps wanting to go home, thus the out call....Tex was getting ripped unmercifully (by Bobby Valvano I think it was)

Too bad abt Markakis....I was watching football, didn't see that hbp.... At least a retaliation is in orderIt wasn't intentional. Anyone could see that.

As for Tex sliding...ya'll have to remember he just came off a stint on the DL with a calf injury...perhaps the thought of reaching out and extending his leg to hit the bag while running full speed through it and re-injuring himself led to the slide...that's a valid point nobody has yet brought up.

cj
09-09-2012, 12:50 PM
It wasn't intentional. Anyone could see that.

As for Tex sliding...ya'll have to remember he just came off a stint on the DL with a calf injury...perhaps the thought of reaching out and extending his leg to hit the bag while running full speed through it and re-injuring himself led to the slide...that's a valid point nobody has yet brought up.

How was sliding going to help his calf? Don't you have to push off pretty darn hard for a head first slide like that?

On another note, given the rash of injuries and the way some of these guys look, maybe they should fire their conditioning coach. It doesn't look like Tex, A-Rod, or CC have missed many buffet lines to me.

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2012, 01:08 PM
How was sliding going to help his calf?It will prevent his leg from hitting the bag hard as he stretches out to beat the throw, thus risking some sort of freak re-injury of the calf muscle if it hits the wrong way...

I think that's a much riskier move than simply diving and hitting the bag with your hands/arms...it's something to consider. I don't recall ever seeing him dive into first before, but I could be wrong.

cj
09-09-2012, 03:12 PM
All even now. Mark Reynolds was just called out on a horrible 3rd strike call.

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Very quiet in here after that game...

cj
09-09-2012, 05:30 PM

I commented during when we were losing, but you ignored it.

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM
I commented during when we were losing, but you ignored it.You were losing the entire game... :lol:

I didn't want to rub it in until it was over...

ElKabong
09-09-2012, 05:34 PM
3 weeks to go.....getting more fun as time goes on

cj
09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
You were losing the entire game... :lol:

I didn't want to rub it in until it was over...

I don't get too excited about one game in baseball. You were 10 up a month ago and quiet as a church mouse, so I'll cut you some slack.

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Tex is now said to likely be out for the season after re-injuring his calf while running down the line and doing that head-first slide...so I guess it didn't matter how he went into first base, he apparently busted up the leg on the way there...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-york-yankees-mark-teixeira-feared-lost-for-season-090912

I guess that's karmic payback for Markakis... :rolleyes:

Stillriledup
09-10-2012, 01:51 AM
I know some have debated the merits of sliding into first many times, but from watching the replay, I almost think it would have been closer had he not slid...is that even possible?

He dove because his leg was hurting and he couldnt stretch it out to reach with his leg. And yeah, i sort of agree with you on that, Tex is SO slow that its hard to imagine that him taking the conventional route from point A to point B would have been any faster than an unconventional route. Slow is slow no matter what route you take.

The ump was probably thinking what i was thinking "there's no way this guy could ever beat out a DP" and when he did actually beat it out, the ump was so shocked that he called him out just on sheer disbelief that this one legged man actually made it to first before the ball.

Stillriledup
09-10-2012, 01:59 AM
We actually had a thread about that here at PA. It is a dumb play. I can't believe somebody that went to the same high school I did is stupid enough to slide into first.

He dove to protect his lame leg. If he's 100% sound, he doesnt dive, it had nothing to do with him being 'too dumb' to know the difference.

Gamer.

Stillriledup
09-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Don't you have to wonder how good Sabathia would be if he actually got in shape?

He's top 10 all time in wins before the age of 31...ahead of such pitchers as Maddux, Seaver and Koufax to name a few. That's all time great stuff right there...im not sure how much better he could have been.

Prince Fielder is the hitting version of CC and im not sure how much better HE could be if he had a different body, he's pretty good as it stands now. Same with CC.

Stillriledup
09-10-2012, 02:09 AM

There will never be an easier team to root against than the Quarter of a Billion Dollar boys.

Are you suggesting that CC injured Nick on purpose?

When the Yankees went to Virginia Tech to play a charity game for the victims of the Va Tech massacre is when i decided they were bad people and found it pretty easy to root against them. Same thing when they donated a ton of money to Katrina cause as well as the Haiti cause among others.

Stillriledup
09-10-2012, 02:12 AM
I never said it was intentional. Neither was the call at the end of the game.

I would prefer Sabathia hadn't ended Markakis's season and the right call was made....but I guess you can't have everything ( even if your payroll does exceed the national debt ).

So, you're maybe suggesting the Yankees pocket their profits and not reinvest them into on field talent? Seems like a pretty smart business model the Yankees have going, in fact, they could probably gave a 300 million dollar payroll and still be way in the black.

Stillriledup
09-10-2012, 02:13 AM
How quickly you forgot the '96 Playoffs.

I believe that the Yankees won the World Series that year....very memorable!

Stillriledup
09-10-2012, 02:16 AM

He was playing on an injured leg and wasnt able to reach that leg out to hit the bag, he was 'protecting' that leg and did what he felt was the proper play at the time. Now, if he was 100% than yeah, it wouldnt have been so smart as we all know that diving into first base gets you there slower than running thru the bag, but this was an unusual situation, wouldnt call it dumb, it was a decision made on a bad wheel.

cj's dad
09-10-2012, 07:34 AM

I'll have to remember to carry my lap top with me when I go out on Sundays.:rolleyes:

Canarsie
09-10-2012, 11:37 AM

For CC Sabathia, less equals more

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7592614/new-york-yankees-spring-training-cc-sabathia-less-more

ElKabong
09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
=
Prince Fielder is the hitting version of CC and im not sure how much better HE could be if he had a different body, he's pretty good as it stands now. Same with CC.

Prince Fielder is a liability in the field. He has no range. One of the Rangers win was soley b/c he couldn't cover ground. He also could lose that weight to be a better base runner.

Dude is only 28 i think....halfway thru his contract he's only going to have a worse problem with mobility, as in he's an anchor. If he ever loses his stroke, he's a total waste.

Detroit = total catastrophe on the corners. It'll kill a team.

cj
09-10-2012, 10:50 PM
He's top 10 all time in wins before the age of 31...ahead of such pitchers as Maddux, Seaver and Koufax to name a few. That's all time great stuff right there...im not sure how much better he could have been.

Anybody that thinks a professional athlete is better off being fat instead of fit has no idea what they are talking about.

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Anybody that thinks a professional athlete is better off being fat instead of fit has no idea what they are talking about.You heard what happened to Samson when they cut off his hair, right? Same goes for CCs belly fat... :lol:

ElKabong
09-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Anybody that thinks a professional athlete is better off being fat instead of fit has no idea what they are talking about.

I'm not going to argue on the whole, but the exception may be Pitching. Fred Gladden, Mickey Lolich, many others were overweight. Texas used to have a closer named Steve (Phone Call) Foucalt, dude was 25-30 lbs overweight. The manager of the month for the Rangers, I think it was Frank Luchessi, ordered him to lose the paunch in spring tng....he was awful...the lbs were ordered back on, he became effective again

OTM Al
09-11-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm not going to argue on the whole, but the exception may be Pitching. Fred Gladden, Mickey Lolich, many others were overweight. Texas used to have a closer named Steve (Phone Call) Foucalt, dude was 25-30 lbs overweight. The manager of the month for the Rangers, I think it was Frank Luchessi, ordered him to lose the paunch in spring tng....he was awful...the lbs were ordered back on, he became effective again

Seem to recall the same thing happening to Fernando Valenzuela

cj
09-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I think it is more that pitchers can get away with it than it makes them better. If they took the time to get the delivery straight with a healthier body, they would be better in my opinion.

the little guy
09-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Tex is now said to likely be out for the season after re-injuring his calf while running down the line and doing that head-first slide...so I guess it didn't matter how he went into first base, he apparently busted up the leg on the way there...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-york-yankees-mark-teixeira-feared-lost-for-season-090912

I guess that's karmic payback for Markakis... :rolleyes:

A true Yankee fan reaction. One guy gets nailed by a pitch from a Yankee pitcher and the other guy ( a Yankee ) gets injured in the midst a very stupid play...and it's karmic retribution?

You're killing me.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2012, 03:28 PM
A true Yankee fan reaction. One guy gets nailed by a pitch from a Yankee pitcher and the other guy ( a Yankee ) gets injured in the midst a very stupid play...and it's karmic retribution?

You're killing me.You need to familiarize yourself with the emoticons you so despise....

The :rolleyes: in my reply you quoted above = sarcasm :lol:

kingfin66
09-11-2012, 04:08 PM

You're killing me.

Are you not a Yankee fan? If not, you are even cooler than i previously thought. Raise the bar even higher by telling me you are a Met's fan. I love long shots, under dogs and the Mets.

the little guy
09-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Are you not a Yankee fan? If not, you are even cooler than i previously thought. Raise the bar even higher by telling me you are a Met's fan. I love long shots, under dogs and the Mets.

Mets and Orioles.

the little guy
09-11-2012, 06:03 PM
You need to familiarize yourself with the emoticons you so despise....

The :rolleyes: in my reply you quoted above = sarcasm :lol:

I pride myself on NOT understanding emoticons.....and I plan to keep it that way.

kingfin66
09-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Mets and Orioles.

This should be quite a month.

cj
09-11-2012, 10:26 PM

PA? PA? Where are you PA?

(You'd think the Red Sox just won the World Series the way they are jumping around!)

ElKabong
09-12-2012, 12:09 AM
tough loss for nyy, Kuroda was going well coming in....they really do need to take 2 of 3 vs bos

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2012, 01:05 AM

(You'd think the Red Sox just won the World Series the way they are jumping around!)Oh, I'm here...

ElKabong
09-12-2012, 01:32 AM
so are the A's.....bastids won't go away......in all seriousness, they're going to take a WC spot, if not the West (and Texas would take a WC spot).....It's looking more and more like 2 of the 3 AL east teams will get in, one w/b left out. NYY needs to take the next 2 from Bos, BADLY.

Fun time of the yr

the little guy
09-12-2012, 09:08 AM
The As have a very tough schedule.

Canarsie
09-12-2012, 10:56 AM

(You'd think the Red Sox just won the World Series the way they are jumping around!)

Regretfully that was their World Series last night. I really don't like talking about my teams (way too biased) but the loss of Tito and Theo was a major hit. Though it can't be confirmed the scoop was Lucchino made Epstein do the Crawford deal.

Both Boston and NY were once premier landing spots for free agents but with many fairly large market teams getting huge cable deals the landscape has changed.

It would be nice to see the O's and other teams bump up their payroll another twenty to thirty million. It surely would benefit baseball which has become the third most popular sport in NYC when it comes to talk radio.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries/_/name/bal/baltimore-orioles

They stated that Yanks-RS tickets were as low as $16 for last nights game on stubhub. Pretty cheap prices for the remaining five games also.

http://www.stubhub.com/search/doSearch?searchStr=yankees+vs+red+sox&searchMode=event&rows=50&start=0&nS=0&ae=1&sp=Date&sd=1

DigitalDownsJoe
09-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Big one tonight against Tampa. We win and it really puts us in a good position for atleast the wild card. I could care less about the seeds, all roads lead through Texas anyways.

cj
09-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Big one tonight against Tampa. We win and it really puts us in a good position for atleast the wild card. I could care less about the seeds, all roads lead through Texas anyways.

Wild card this year only guarantees you one game, a game in which presumably each team will have to use its ace pitcher.

ElKabong
09-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Wild card this year only guarantees you one game, a game in which presumably each team will have to use its ace pitcher.

Not so sure about that. If you're Detroit and a game back on the last day, do you pitch Verlander, or save him just in case you win? I think this may come down to the last day for 2+ teams, I'd think they'd treat that last reg season game as a game 7

ElKabong
09-12-2012, 09:42 PM
I could care less about the seeds, all roads lead through Texas anyways.

I listen to 105.3fm after games, Bacsik made a great point about this staff getting worn down physically. They do look tired. Bascik's point is two yrs of an extra month of pitching -2 yrs in a row, going on 3-, has had an effect.

The Dempster trade was a stroke of genius. He's the only starter we have right now that isn't fading to some degree. The door is wide open for any playoff team, as opposed to last season when they looked on top of their game

cj
09-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Not so sure about that. If you're Detroit and a game back on the last day, do you pitch Verlander, or save him just in case you win? I think this may come down to the last day for 2+ teams, I'd think they'd treat that last reg season game as a game 7

Of course in that case it is even tougher. Then you start the first "series" with your number 3 guy. All I'm saying is winning the division now is a huge advantage over the wild card.

ElKabong
09-12-2012, 11:18 PM
amen to that cj.....

Who would want to play the Angels in a one game win-all deal? They have 3 pitchers that are capable of shutting down any lineup, and have maybe the best lineup in the game.....for a 2 month period Scoscia saved his starters, ran in the Pen to save starters arms (which were beginning to tire in July)....now he's going to run them as long as they can go.

I like R's chances vs LAA in a 7 game series... a lot....but a one game takes all I'd bet on LAA vs anyone

cj's dad
09-13-2012, 12:04 AM
O's win again with a walk off base hit in the bottom of the 9th. Theses guys are good. This is really after 15 years becoming fun.

ElKabong
09-13-2012, 12:47 AM
O's tied for 1rst....wild card(s)= LAA is about to get swept by the swingin' A's.....If LAA goes back into a funk they'll miss out altogether (whew!)

NYY-BALT is going to be fun to watch....Glad I have Extra Innings so I can see their games. That balt crowd tonight was juiced a bit

ElKabong
09-13-2012, 12:58 AM
The As have a very tough schedule.

Very good point, LG. They'll need the pad they currently have

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/OAK/2012-schedule-scores.shtml

cj
09-13-2012, 05:54 PM
This is getting crazy...Orioles magic, feel it happen.

DigitalDownsJoe
09-13-2012, 10:05 PM
I haven't been this excited about baseball in YEARS! Buck Showalter is a freaking genius. These guys dont know they aren't supposed to be here. The BELIEVE!

ElKabong
09-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Cespedes hurt I hear? Bummer in a big way....

Wwash's using Nathan 3 days in a row, backfires predictably.....puts us in a bad way for the next series.

ElKabong
09-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Cespedes hurt I hear? Bummer in a big way....

Wwash's using Nathan 3 days in a row, backfires predictably.....puts us in a bad way for the next series.

ugh,,, meant to post this in the down the stretch thread

Stillriledup
09-15-2012, 08:43 AM
I haven't been this excited about baseball in YEARS! Buck Showalter is a freaking genius. These guys dont know they aren't supposed to be here. The BELIEVE!

Buck straightened out the Yankees in the mid 90s and Torre got all the credit.

DigitalDownsJoe
09-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes, he did! The man knows how to maximize his talent. Imagine if he was a horse trainer LOL. I think he combines professionalism, immense baseball knowledge, and he lets his players have a little fun. He played an awesome joke on one of the relief pitchers a few weeks ago, they had it on youtube. It was hilarious. I am just so happy to see these guys playing with so much heart. It is much easier to win in anything, if you truly believe you can do it!

Canarsie
09-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Buck straightened out the Yankees in the mid 90s and Torre got all the credit.

How does a manager straighten out a team without help from the front office? If anything Stick Michael is the forgotten man on the ship.

Nice of you not to include Dan Duquette in the mix.

Showalter, Duquette engineering another turnaround with Orioles

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/joe_lemire/09/12/buck-showalter-dan-duquette-orioles/index.html

I would also like to know your definition of "mid" since he was fired after the 95 season.

Having said all of this I think Buck is an upper tier manager but that will only improve a team by possibly five games during the season. Buck has "stated" that himself over the years. At some point talent has to come in and take over. Last time I looked the manager and GM will make evaluations together. Even that isn't etched in stone the GM has the upper hand since he does the hiring.

How come you don't give Showalter credit for being the Ranger manager? Could in be in all three cases a strong management team came in around the same time to save a sinking ship? I think they call that "teamwork".

cj's dad
09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
O's win another extra inning game. I'm pretty sure it's their 13th in a row.

The game went 18 innings and took nearly 6 hours.

cj
09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
O's win another extra inning game. I'm pretty sure it's their 13th in a row.

The game went 18 innings and took nearly 6 hours.

14...the bullpen is scary good.

ElKabong
09-20-2012, 12:31 AM
for those not watching live, check out Endy Chavez' catch in the 9th inning vs SEA......Amazing catch in a tie game preserving a chance to win in extra innings again. Foul territory, but it retired the batter & likely provided an emotional spark

cj
09-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Sparked Adam Jones!

PaceAdvantage
09-20-2012, 01:16 AM
What a great time to be a fan of the Yanks or the Os...what a race!

If the Orioles hang on to win tonight, I have to seriously tip my hat to the way they've been playing and winning all these nail biters...hell, even if they end up losing tonight, which I know they won't, I still give them major credit...

Stillriledup
09-20-2012, 08:05 AM
I dislike the O's but i gotta tip my hat to them for the gritty play these last few days, playing till about 4am east coast time and then having to come back the next day against the King. It did help that Seattle seemed to shoot themselves in the foot and couldnt get a sacrifice down in key situations, but other than this, the O's pitching was great, seemed like everyone they brought in was good enough to hold the fort.

I thought the O's were going to fade because they have always seem to fade as of these last few years, but this year they're playing every inning like they have a gun to their heads, every single player has bought into what Buck is selling, its going to be a huge battle right to the wire for the division title. The key to the O's winning this division is how hard Boston plays against them....i would imagine that the Sox would LOVE to get some 'revenge' from last year's final game, so you have to imagine Boston is going to be fired up to try and knock the O's backward a bit. Those games are going to be fun to watch.

O's have a special season going on, congrats to them and you gotta feel good for their hard core fans, they've put up with a lot of bad baseball over the last decade, enjoy the ride, its really fun right now in Baltimore!

cj's dad
09-20-2012, 08:06 AM
The O's called up 19 year old Dylan Bundy.

He's going to the pen for now.

cj
09-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Toronto is an embarrassment. Every year we hear how they are going to contend, and every year they disappoint.

cj's dad
09-20-2012, 11:08 PM
On to Boston for a 3 game series. Lets see if they pay us back !!

HoofedInTheChest
09-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Toronto is an embarrassment. Every year we hear how they are going to contend, and every year they disappoint.
You have a point, but...

The entire starting rotation goes down with injuries except for Romero and he is having a trainwreck of a season (million dollar arm with a ten cent head!). Santos went down early but Jansen has done a great job closing. I like the changes that have been made to the bullpen but it it all comes down to a thin starting rotation.

The bulk of the starting positional players have gone down with injuries over the last couple of months, so basically you have been watching the Las Vegas 51's. When the Jays are healthy i would put them up against anybody offensively.

Until ownership ponies up some money for some real starting pitching they aren't going to achieve anything, and i don't think that is going to happen.

It's been fun watching the O's battle over the last month and it should be a dogfight right down to the end. I hope your team does well, they deserve it. (This coming from a childhood Yankees fan)

cj
09-21-2012, 08:35 AM
You have a point, but...

The entire starting rotation goes down with injuries except for Romero and he is having a trainwreck of a season (million dollar arm with a ten cent head!). Santos went down early but Jansen has done a great job closing. I like the changes that have been made to the bullpen but it it all comes down to a thin starting rotation.

The bulk of the starting positional players have gone down with injuries over the last couple of months, so basically you have been watching the Las Vegas 51's. When the Jays are healthy i would put them up against anybody offensively.

Until ownership ponies up some money for some real starting pitching they aren't going to achieve anything, and i don't think that is going to happen.

It's been fun watching the O's battle over the last month and it should be a dogfight right down to the end. I hope your team does well, they deserve it. (This coming from a childhood Yankees fan)

I haven't followed enough this year to know about the injuries. It just seems for the past 7 or 8 years they are supposed to contend, and I don't think they have really done that even once. Maybe it is the prognosticators just being too optimistic.

cj's dad
09-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Who has the tougher remaining schedule ?

IMO this will come down to the final 3 games for each team.

Baltimore:

3 @ Boston
4 @ home (in 3 days) vs Toronto
3 @ home vs. Boston
3 @ Tampa Bay

New York:

3 @ home vs. Oakland
3 @ Minn.
3 @ Toronto
3 @ home vs. Boston