PDA

View Full Version : College bench clearing: is this lacrosse or hockey?

DJofSD
05-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Bench clearing brawl. (http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6769397/canadian-indoor-lacrosse-brawl) No Olympic hopefulls but these guys are ready for closing the local bars.

Rookies
05-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Lacrosse is NOT some pussy game like baseball, where you're out for 6 weeks with a hangnail. It is a no nonsense, violent sport, that is actually Canada's national sport- ahead of Hockey. It is legal to hit the opponent with a stick, although there are restrictions...:D :rolleyes:

Remember taking my son to one with about the same age group at my local arena. At one point, the combatants stripped down to skin above the waist and were wailing on each other. Once finished, they shook hands and went to the penalty box! :cool: Had never seen that in Hockey.

This one, was a bit beyond the pale...:rolleyes:

Valuist
05-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Lacrosse is NOT some pussy game like baseball, where you're out for 6 weeks with a hangnail. It is a no nonsense, violent sport, that is actually Canada's national sport- ahead of Hockey. It is legal to hit the opponent with a stick, although there are restrictions...:D :rolleyes:

Remember taking my son to one with about the same age group at my local arena. At one point, the combatants stripped down to skin above the waist and were wailing on each other. Once finished, they shook hands and went to the penalty box! :cool: Had never seen that in Hockey.

Yeah, all the top athletes play lacrosse over so-called "pussy sports" like baseball, football and basketball. :rolleyes:

MadWorld
05-19-2012, 05:09 PM

I always thought that someone who used a stick to hit someone WAS a pussy :)

ElKabong
05-20-2012, 01:14 AM
Obama must have played lacrosse then....

Jay Trotter
05-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Yeah, all the top athletes play lacrosse over so-called "pussy sports" like baseball, football and basketball. :rolleyes:Just because someone plays a non-Big League sport doesn't mean they aren't an "athlete"! And one would have to admit that baseball players are pussies to a large degree. Hang nail -- no play! :rolleyes:

HoofedInTheChest
05-22-2012, 03:46 AM

I think you are misinformed, lacrosse is Canada's National Summer Sport, and hockey is Canada's National Winter Sport. If you look at the national average of people playing lacrosse and hockey, there is no comparison, more people play hockey.

"In 1994, Bill C-212 was introduced to officially declare hockey as Canada's national sport. Opposition came from supporters of lacrosse who wanted to recognize the traditional and cultural significance of this sport. Consequently, Bill C-212 was amended to recognize both sports. Thus, on May 12, 1994, Canada's National Sport Act (Bill C-212) became law, reading: "To recognize hockey as Canada's National Winter Sport and lacrosse as Canada's National Summer Sport".

cj's dad
05-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Lacrosse is a big deal in Maryland. I can tell you that bench clearing brawls and/or fights are not the norm. I watched Hopkins vs. Md.Saturday and not one incident of any significance.

At the high school level, many football players play lacrosse as a means of staying in shape.

As for using the stick as a weapon, total BS. It can be used as a means to dislodge the ball from the opponents stick; it CANNOT be used for any other purpose.

HoofedInTheChest
05-22-2012, 02:31 PM
It depends, in field lacrosse you don't see the stick work as much, but in box lacrosse it is the norm to cross-check the back of the neck, and slash the forearms and hands. The game is not for everyone, you have to be a little off-side to play the game, it separate's the men from the boys, i still have issues with my neck to this day.
Alot of great NHL player's were exceptional lacrosse player's, one of the best i ever saw was Joe Nieuwendyk, he had a gifted pair of hands, wasn't a bad hockey player either. Brendan Shanahan and his brothers were great lacrosse players as well.

cj's dad
05-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Jim Brown at Syracuse - unstoppable in 2 sports