PDA

View Full Version : Harper or Trout

melman
05-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Lots of media attention for Bryce Harper who I agree will be a star for many years. Great young player with all the skills, hits hits for power, fast runner, and a huge arm. However if it was me and I had to take him or Mike Trout I would go with Trout. Trout is a 20 year old so no big age difference. He got the call up to the Angels about the same time as Harper. Since those call ups Trout has a batting avg 100 pts higher than Harper and has more home runs, RBI's and stolen bases in three fewer at bats. WAY to small a sample size I know but this kid can play some ball. If ya wanna talk speed I think this Trout may be the fastest player now in MLB. Plays CF defense like he was born there.

Note to El Kabong--Your a Rangers guy so you will get to see this guy often in next few years. That's if you can see the blur this guy is when running. :) Can't wait to see him get his first inside the park HR.

Valuist
05-18-2012, 01:04 PM
For this year or for a career? I suspect Trout will have the better year, Harper the better career.

melman
05-18-2012, 02:07 PM
At this point it's all just a guess but yes long term I would take Trout over Harper. That's not a put down of Harper. Both are great young talents.

ElKabong
05-19-2012, 03:19 AM
Trout is a talent. I'd trade Hamilton & Moreland, or Hamilton & Feliz for him right now

He showed well vs the Rangers last weekend, a lot of promise there

melman
05-19-2012, 07:06 AM
El---If I was in charge of the Angels I would not trade him for anyone. This is a 20 yr old with just a handful of games and already I see STAR. Last nights game with the Pods he had a single, double, and triple. On the single it was a swinging bunt and Dick Enberg the Pods play by play guy said right away "no chance to throw him out" "Think that young man could hit 300 just bunting" :) The double was a lazer beam past third, and the triple a real double but Trout made it a triple. :) Oh yeah he had a SB also made it look so easy.

Valuist
05-19-2012, 01:22 PM
He may be the fastest player in the game. But he relies on speed more than Harper so that makes him a risk.

Once upon a time, Alphonso Soriano was a great base stealer too.

bettheoverlay
05-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Harper has really been coming on lately. He and Trout have almost identical OPSs now. I enjoy watching Harper's Pete Rose like intensity. Yesterday he hit a routine single to right, noticed RF Heyward's nonchalance, and scampered to second as Heyward dropped the ball. The crowd booed Heyward, another great young talent, but one who needs a daily dose of that intensity thing.

Valuist
05-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Harper has really been coming on lately. He and Trout have almost identical OPSs now. I enjoy watching Harper's Pete Rose like intensity. Yesterday he hit a routine single to right, noticed RF Heyward's nonchalance, and scampered to second as Heyward dropped the ball. The crowd booed Heyward, another great young talent, but one who needs a daily dose of that intensity thing.

I saw that. He does play the game hard. If Bobby Cox was still managing the Braves, he would've taken Heyward out right in the middle of the game.

melman
06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Trout getting some rave reviews. Some of his catches in the outfield have been unreal. Not the catches themselves but the fact he was even able to get in position to make them. Great young talent. The Rangers are in LA for a 3 game set this weekend. Should be lots of fun.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120531&content_id=32559558&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

anotherCAfan
06-01-2012, 12:40 PM
The Rangers are in LA for a 3 game set this weekend. Should be lots of fun.
Fun for Rangers fans maybe, but not for Angels fans. I'm scared.

melman
06-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Fun for Rangers fans maybe, but not for Angels fans. I'm scared.
Don't be scared you have Mike Trout on your team. Drives in three of the Halo's four runs tonight.

ElKabong
06-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Trout getting some rave reviews. Some of his catches in the outfield have been unreal. Not the catches themselves but the fact he was even able to get in position to make them. Great young talent. The Rangers are in LA for a 3 game set this weekend. Should be lots of fun.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120531&content_id=32559558&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

some of these catches he's hauling in reminds me of Fred Lynn in his rookie year. This kid is special

melman
06-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Freddy Lynn now there was a great defensive outfielder. Trout is reminding me of the great Andrwn Jones of the Atlanta Braves (now with the Yanks) in that it's not just the catches but that he gets to so many balls others would have no shot at. Last night he also turned a double into a triple dispite a great play off the wall by Hamilton. Hamilton then make a good throw to the cut off man and he then made a good throw to third. Not many guys would have been safe on that play. He then tests the arm of Nellie Cruz on a sac fly. Cruz is no sloch on throwing ability. Trout scored easy. Should be a lot of fun watching this guy over the years.

melman
06-21-2012, 11:29 AM
What a year this kid is having. Batting avg 338 (2nd in AL) 19 SB's (1st in AL) an OPS of 925 and SLG of 528. He has my vote for the All Star team. All this and he is 20 years old. Wow.

On another note Hamilton and Konerko are having great years. But check out this Joey Votto of the Reds. Teams have not been able to get him out for the last month. :) Batting avg all the way up to 367. No question he starts the All Star game this year.

rastajenk
06-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Without Pujols and Fielder in the National, he better. Or I'll call for a congressional investigation.

ElKabong
06-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Trout has been the best I've seen in 2012 so far...imo

who signs Josh Hamilton at the end of the yr? He won't be signed to come back to Texas, I think that's the way things are shaping

LAD= went big on Ethier and Kemp...doubt it
Angels = in debt now...doubtful
Miami= maybe
TB= maybe
NYY= they sure need him
ATL= my darkhorse choice
BOS= can't see it

anyone with an opinion?

lsbets
06-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Trout has been the best I've seen in 2012 so far...imo

who signs Josh Hamilton at the end of the yr? He won't be signed to come back to Texas, I think that's the way things are shaping

LAD= went big on Ethier and Kemp...doubt it
Angels = in debt now...doubtful
Miami= maybe
TB= maybe
NYY= they sure need him
ATL= my darkhorse choice
BOS= can't see it

anyone with an opinion?

I don't see the Yankees signing Hamilton. He is exactly the kind of guy who goes to NY and falls apart because he can't handle it. Anybody who needs a babysitter to handle the temptations of DFW is not capable of handling NYC. If Hamilton is smart, he stays in Texas. It is the perfect environment for someone as fragile as him.

ElKabong
06-21-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't think Daniels wants him. Not sure how Ryan or Ray Davis thinks, tho.

I'd like to see him move on. Leonys isn't the player Josh is, but it'll be time to move fwd in November imo

melman
06-22-2012, 07:10 AM
El you ask tough questions. :) Everyone knows Hamilton has great talent. They also know his off the field problems. I agree with Isbets on this one. I hope his agent can work out a deal to keep him in Texas. The big question of course is for how much money and how many years. Would be very hard for me if I was an owner/GM to commit long term to him. Maybe Atlanta would be a good fit for him. Not NY or Bos or Philly or LA for sure. Anyway the LA Angels outfield looks set for quite a while. Trout, Hunter, and Trumbo may be the best outfield in baseball. This Mark Trumbo is no slacker. :) Hitting for a very high average and with a ton of power. Mighty fine top five in the order for the Halo's.

El what is the over/under on total Rangers runs scored with the 3 games this weekend with the Roks? 24? 28? Roks have a TON of pitching problems. The ballpark at Arlington is no place to cure them. :lol:

Also El the Rangers start Roy Oswalt tonight. Will be interesting to see how that works out. Oswalt is a class act I hope it works out for him.

lsbets
06-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't think Daniels wants him. Not sure how Ryan or Ray Davis thinks, tho.

I'd like to see him move on. Leonys isn't the player Josh is, but it'll be time to move fwd in November imo

I don't think he expects to be re signed either. If I remember correctly (and I hold out the slim possibility that I could be wrong ;) ), he said a couple of years ago that there would be no discount for the Rangers. He said he owed it to all the other players in baseball to get the biggest contract possible. It will be interesting to see how he is valued as a free agent - amazing talent, injury prone, and major addiction problems that could resurface at any time. Where did Naron go? His best bet after the Rangers might be to follow him.

ElKabong
06-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Mel,

Trumbo >>>> this guy is a monster imo. I look at him, the guy scares me in the box. Power, and has hurt the Rangers with some bombs

Oswalt is thru 3 at the moment, retired 7 in a row & looking surprisingly good...for the record, I wasn't a huge fan of signing him, but I'm not against it either. Feldman can eventually work thru his problems to be a decent #5 at some point this yr given the chance. He's already signed (big, 2 yrs ago) so might as well use him

Then, within 2 weeks we had three starters in the rotation go on the DL (Holland, Feliz, and then Ogando who replaced Feliz).....I told a friendon June 6 we'd be in 2nd place by July 4...what happened?? The R's have won 9 of the last 10, are leading at the moment

Is baseball a great game, or what :)

Still think the AL West goes down to the final week, wild card w/b the Rangers or Angels

as for Josh, I have to wonder how "bad" the guy's problems are....so far his 2 relapses are w/ booze, not drugs....may not be as bad as people think....but I don't think Daniels is going to suggest Texas signs him, he's going to ask for way too much. Last thing we need is another A-Rod situation

ElKabong
06-22-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't think he expects to be re signed either. If I remember correctly (and I hold out the slim possibility that I could be wrong ;) ), he said a couple of years ago that there would be no discount for the Rangers. He said he owed it to all the other players in baseball to get the biggest contract possible. It will be interesting to see how he is valued as a free agent - amazing talent, injury prone, and major addiction problems that could resurface at any time. Where did Naron go? His best bet after the Rangers might be to follow him.

you're right. If I recall he said "there will be no home town discount" near the end of 2010.

Then this spring he said the contract wasn't about how much $$ HE could get, but how much he could GIVE AWAY....To which I posted on Newburg's site 'ok, have Daniels call his bluff and say "we'll resign you at this same amount for the next 5 years. Tell me who to write a check to for the rest? You know, that particular charity you were going to give all this cash to"....

Josh isn't worth the headache imo...plus he's getting into his mid 30s....good luck to him wherever he goes

melman
06-22-2012, 10:04 PM
El--The fans give Oswalt a standing O. The Rangers brass have to be happy with that performance. Goes 6 2/3 with a great ball/strike ratio. Hope he keeps it up he was always a class act in his time with the Phils.

melman
06-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Just another routine catch :lol: by Trout. The look on Angels pitcher Weaver's face was "how did he do that". Any wonder the Angels pitching staff loves this guy.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22644539&topic_id=11493214

ElKabong
06-28-2012, 12:13 AM
another Ranger starter goes on the DL (Colby Lewis). Pitch counts are killing these guys. Nolan and his "be man and throw till you drop" nonsense has caught up with the arms.

I have to wonder if M Maddux is the guy pushing for more innings, or if it's Wash or Nolan? Even key guys in the Pen are being overworked

PaceAdvantage
06-28-2012, 01:18 AM
another Ranger starter goes on the DL (Colby Lewis).Yeah, I'm really crying for you after today... :lol:

melman
06-28-2012, 07:07 AM
The starter's for the whole AL East must have a black cloud over them. Blue Jays hit hard Boston guys hurt and Tampa with it's best young pitcher out for the year hit by a line drive. Now the Yanks. When the trade deadline nears think there will be some demand for pitchers? :lol: Things are so tight the Blue Jays even signed up Jamie Moyer.

ElKabong
06-28-2012, 08:16 PM
NYY's staff has been hit harder than the Rangers....no doubt. Still, it hit the R's hard

ElKabong
06-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Just another routine catch :lol: by Trout. The look on Angels pitcher Weaver's face was "how did he do that". Any wonder the Angels pitching staff loves this guy.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22644539&topic_id=11493214

did you see the gem he came up with today vs TOR? Sheesh. Edmonds and Junior all over again

HoofedInTheChest
06-30-2012, 02:01 PM
did you see the gem he came up with today vs TOR? Sheesh. Edmonds and Junior all over again
I especially loved the throw to third that sailed into the Jays dugout, i must say the kid is really good, there is no denying that. Lets see if the pitching can hold an 8 run lead, nothing is safe anymore with are pitching staff.

melman
07-01-2012, 09:04 AM
El--Just to show what a very good TEAM the Rangers have again this year, in the last three weeks they have taken a major hit to there pitching staff. Many guys getting hurt. There best hitter Hamilton has been in a 3 week slump in which his batting avg has dropped from 365 to 315. So how have the R's done?

Won 17 Lost 4 :lol:

Is baseball a great game or what. :)

Should be a lot of fun watching the R's and the Halo's go at it in the 2nd half.

One extra plus is the Rangers have "Elvis" in the house every night. :) That young man is having a great season so far. Much improved. I know Jeter is the starter at SS but Andrus has to be on the All Star team.

melman
07-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Of course right after I posted this the R's go into a four game losing streak. I must have put the hex on them. :) They were playing the hot White Sox however so not all that bad. Plus they finish the first half with the Twins. No hex can seem to stop Mike Trout however. Last night yet another multi-hit game. With 2 runs scored 2 RBI's and 3 SB's. :lol: Brings his batting avg up to 348.

Valuist
07-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Both players were in the All Star game last night. One big difference:

Trout deserved to be there. Harper didn't. He was there on hype. He's shown flashes but 8 HR and .280 isn't All Star worthy. And he didn't help matters with a botched fly ball and strikeout.

melman
07-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Val--I would agree however the whole All Star thing is a joke. In the NL there are four guys with legit shots a league MVP. Joey Votto, Andrew Mccuthen, David Wright and Melky Cabarea. Only two on them started the All Star game. HATE the idea of home field advantage to the winner. Wish they would go back to one year AL next year NL. Fat chance.

Valuist
07-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Val--I would agree however the whole All Star thing is a joke. In the NL there are four guys with legit shots a league MVP. Joey Votto, Andrew Mccuthen, David Wright and Melky Cabarea. Only two on them started the All Star game. HATE the idea of home field advantage to the winner. Wish they would go back to one year AL next year NL. Fat chance.

Once Selig is out as commish I think they will get rid of using the game to determine HFA for the World Series.

ElKabong
07-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Of course right after I posted this the R's go into a four game losing streak. I must have put the hex on them. :) They were playing the hot White Sox however so not all that bad. Plus they finish the first half with the Twins. No hex can seem to stop Mike Trout however. Last night yet another multi-hit game. With 2 runs scored 2 RBI's and 3 SB's. :lol: Brings his batting avg up to 348.

Sox looked simply awesome vs the slumping Rangers. Quintana (NYY released him 2 yrs ago) shut us down & was untouchable.....Like Tom Grieve said in the broadcast "you can't name me more than one pitcher the Yankees have who's that good. How in the heck did they let him go?"

It's only a matter of time before John Daniels goes to NYY and stops the bleeding.

Also, Sale was unhittable. That kid has some strong stuff

melman
07-13-2012, 02:26 AM
El---Did you see any of the R's/Twins on Sunday night?? During the 4th inning with Oswalt on the mound a BOOM of thunder like I never heard before. Mike Napoli never moved so fast getting off the field and into the dugout. Same with the umpires. All of the players flinched. There had been no warning, no flashes of lightning. Just a very loud BOOM. Later all the Ranger players were shown joking about it in the dugout. What a weather delay that was. :)

melman
07-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Some video of the boom at Rangers ballpark.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8879212&c_id=tex

melman
07-13-2012, 08:07 AM
To get to the boom video you will have to toggle down to video playlist and move it two sports to the right. Sorry don't know how to work it otherwise.

ElKabong
07-13-2012, 08:24 PM
El---Did you see any of the R's/Twins on Sunday night?? During the 4th inning with Oswalt on the mound a BOOM of thunder like I never heard before. Mike Napoli never moved so fast getting off the field and into the dugout. Same with the umpires. All of the players flinched. There had been no warning, no flashes of lightning. Just a very loud BOOM. Later all the Ranger players were shown joking about it in the dugout. What a weather delay that was. :)

Mel,

I watched the whole game (fiasco, even tho the good guys won). I know people that went to the game, 2 of which said the thunder "lifted them from their seat".

the funniest guy on the field was the base runner at first...went straight to the ground :)

ElKabong
07-13-2012, 08:26 PM
BTW....anyone with Directv gets free MLB Extra Innings this whole week.

ElKabong
07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
re: Trout and Trumbo

anyone watching NYY -LAA? Yanks cruising 2-1, then Trumbo sends a bomb (an AAAA BOMB. From AAATROMB) outta the park. LAA up 4-2

Coupla innings later, Trout up. A-rod has to play in from 3rd b/c of Trout's speed. Trout gets on b/c his basehit goes over A-rod's head -- if A-rod had played normal depth that's a routine GB out.

Now Trout is on....after his 2nd stolen bag of the game, he's sitting on 3rd.....Infield is pulled in, trying to keep the lead from getting outta hand. Pitcher for NYY is trying to keep Pujols from elevating the ball, keeps pitches down.....which Pujols takes out a 9 iron and pokes a ground rule double down the right field line.

Trout and Trumbo ar putting on a clinic. These guys are going to bring me (and the Rangers) headaches for years

tied 5-5 now after the Yanks reply

ElKabong
07-13-2012, 10:08 PM
and the Halo's Pen blows another.... :) :jump:

ElKabong
07-14-2012, 01:06 AM
now Nathan is trying to emulate the Halo's...comes in the 9th, 3-0 lead....now the M's have the tying runner on 3rd, winning run at 1rst. The guy drives me nuts

melman
07-14-2012, 01:20 AM
El- Nathan reminds me of the Phils old closer, Mitch Williams. Always makes it interesting. But the R's hang on for the win. Halo's Downs had been having a very good year. Yanks just blew him up. Trout and Trumbo should make Albert very happy he made the move to LA for many a year. Those guys and all that cash of course. :)

Valuist
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Sox looked simply awesome vs the slumping Rangers. Quintana (NYY released him 2 yrs ago) shut us down & was untouchable.....Like Tom Grieve said in the broadcast "you can't name me more than one pitcher the Yankees have who's that good. How in the heck did they let him go?"

It's only a matter of time before John Daniels goes to NYY and stops the bleeding.

Also, Sale was unhittable. That kid has some strong stuff

Sale has great stuff. Only question is can he survive his bad mechanics and not get hurt. As long as he's healthy, he will be good. And absolutely murder on left hand hitters.

melman
07-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Wow just how good has this kid Mike Trout been this year. Well I never thought anyone would be getting near what A-Rod did in his rookie year of 1996. Trout is mighty close. He will play in less games and he bats leadoff so you would expect less RBI's. Here are the numbers.

Trout
Batting Avg 354
HR's 15
RBI's 46
OBP 405
Slug 599
OPS 1,004
SB's 30

A-Rod
Batting Avg 358
HR's 36
RBI's 123
OBP 414
Slug 631
OPS 1,065

Trout has scored at least one run in the last 12 Angles games. That is something not often done by a rookie or a veteran.
A-Rod's numbers are full season, while Trout's are as of yesterday.

Valuist
02-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Bookmaker has some interesting player prop wagers for the 2013 season. They pit Harper against Trout in 4 wagers:

hits: Trout favored by 5.5
HR: Trout favored by 2.5
runs: Trout favored by 10.5
RBI: Harper favored by 10.5

Valuist
02-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Bookmaker has some interesting player prop wagers for the 2013 season. They pit Harper against Trout in 4 wagers:

hits: Trout favored by 5.5
HR: Trout favored by 2.5
runs: Trout favored by 10.5
RBI: Harper favored by 10.5

Just heard Trout reported to spring training at 240 lbs. Would have to lean toward Harper and the 10.5 runs scored. Speed is a big part of Trout's game, and he's awfully young to start having weight issues.

cj's dad
04-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Living in the Baltimore/ DC market and as a subscriber to MASN (Mid Atlantic Sports Network) I get to see the Nationals play whenever I want.

Bryce Harper is amazing. He does everything well. Power, speed, defense.

He is, along with Manny Machado (O's), Mike Trout, future stars.

Gio Gonzalez pitched a one hitter through 8 and was relieved in the 9th. These guys are good.

Hopefully, the Nats make it to the WS

cj
04-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Harper has certainly taken the early lead this year.

ElKabong
04-25-2013, 11:52 PM
re: Trout

I read angelswin.com at lunch every day for entertainment purposes, it's a fan forum for Halo fans.....One thing I read the other day was appropriate in that turning Trout into a LF has reduced his value>> "thank you Scoscia for turning Trout into a 2 tool player" (hit, hit for power)

He was the best CF I had ever seen, last season. Better than griffey, mays, blair, flood...now he's a LF, and is thoroughly average.....and now he's hitting 2nd, changing his approach and role at the plate. Two tools gone - glove and speed

Last yr I had MLB Xtra innings, was able to see every game. The kid was a thrill to watch. Harper was good too but I can't recall a player having an impact on a team and lineup like Trout did....it's a wonder LAA does ANYTHING w/ that lousy pitching they have

Hosshead
04-30-2013, 03:08 AM
re: Trout

I read angelswin.com at lunch every day for entertainment purposes, it's a fan forum for Halo fans.....One thing I read the other day was appropriate in that turning Trout into a LF has reduced his value>> "thank you Scoscia for turning Trout into a 2 tool player" (hit, hit for power)

He was the best CF I had ever seen, last season. Better than griffey, mays, blair, flood...now he's a LF, and is thoroughly average.....and now he's hitting 2nd, changing his approach and role at the plate. Two tools gone - glove and speed

Last yr I had MLB Xtra innings, was able to see every game. The kid was a thrill to watch. Harper was good too but I can't recall a player having an impact on a team and lineup like Trout did....it's a wonder LAA does ANYTHING w/ that lousy pitching they have
I have been a Trout fan since he started. And also disappointed he's now in left field.

BUT: He is responsible for looking like a pig. I couldn't believe how fat he looks !
He has a lot of inherent natural ability, but pushing himself away from the dinner table is something he will have to work at, and it will not come easy, ... if at all.

Stillriledup
04-30-2013, 04:22 AM
I have been a Trout fan since he started. And also disappointed he's now in left field.

BUT: He is responsible for looking like a pig. I couldn't believe how fat he looks !
He has a lot of inherent natural ability, but pushing himself away from the dinner table is something he will have to work at, and it will not come easy, ... if at all.

He's going to weigh less tomorrow, the Angles and A's are still playing, its the 19th inning or something like that. Free baseball! The sun is going to rise on the east coast shortly and these guys are still at it. Amazing!

Valuist
04-30-2013, 12:47 PM

If he has a weight problem at 20 or 21, it isn't going to get any better. He could find himself being a one tool player, eventually.

cj's dad
04-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Bold prediction here: Manny Machado (O's)will be a Gold Glover @ 3rd base.

20 Years old. !!!

Bettowin
05-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Just heard Trout reported to spring training at 240 lbs. Would have to lean toward Harper and the 10.5 runs scored. Speed is a big part of Trout's game, and he's awfully young to start having weight issues.

Trout moved back home for the off season. Momma's cooking and drinking beer will add a few pounds:)

Valuist
05-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Trout moved back home for the off season. Momma's cooking and drinking beer will add a few pounds:)

Not good when speed is an important part of one's game. I heard he came to spring training around 240 lbs.

thaskalos
05-01-2013, 02:12 PM

It could also shorten a great career.

Valuist
05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Harper has now played just about 1 full season now. 626 at bats.

vs RHP .305 BA .566 SP
vs LHP .232 BA .406 SP

Still has one area to improve.

Stillriledup
05-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Can anyone make an educated guess on how many Hits and HRs Mike Trout will finish with for the 2013 season? In Las Vegas, his O/U HR total is 28.5 and his Hits O/U is 184.5

Is he on pace for an Over or an Under?

cj
05-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Can anyone make an educated guess on how many Hits and HRs Mike Trout will finish with for the 2013 season? In Las Vegas, his O/U HR total is 28.5 and his Hits O/U is 184.5

Is he on pace for an Over or an Under?

Yes, anyone that has passed 3rd grade math could make an educated guess.

Stillriledup
05-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Yes, anyone that has passed 3rd grade math could make an educated guess.

Stay Classy Chief Justice.

cj
05-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Stay Classy Chief Justice.

You can't be serious here. You've made some good posts lately, but now and then you just post really silly stuff. Just keeping you straight!

cj's dad
05-23-2013, 11:11 PM
Manny fits in with these guys, he will be 21 on July 6.

Trout – 55 Hits-9 HR-34 RBI- .297 BA

Harper – 40 Hits – 12 HR – 23 RBI - .288 BA

Machado – 64 Hits – 5 HR – 26 RBI - .322 BA

Valuist
09-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Saw Machado got hurt last night and it didn't look good. His bat had tailed off a bit after a red hot first half.

melman
09-24-2013, 12:02 PM
If you go by full season stats (hey there are only six games left) it's Trout in a landslide. Trout going to finish up his second season in a row with a BA of over 320. Plus he hits with power and plays great defense. Among the young position players he is a clear cut number one. Machado's B A has really dropped of the last few weeks. Down to 283 I believe. That IMO ranks him as the 2nd best young position players. What a great defense 3rd baseman he is. Plus he is a doubles machine at the plate. Just not in Trout's class overall. As for Harper so far he is a long way from superstar class. A good player yes but not a superstar. That could change as he is only 21 and has all the tools plus I think he was playing hurt for most of this year. I still think he well be a star. However based on field performance it's Trout.

Perhaps the most exciting 22 and under player is Jose Fernandez. Wow has this kid got great stuff. Looks like the next Clayton Kershaw. I hope Matt Harvey recovers from his injury. He is a little older but also has great stuff. IMO the two best young pitchers in the game.

melman
09-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Just "off the charts" numbers for Trout's first two full seasons.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=545361#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=1&season=2013&level='ALL'

Valuist
09-24-2013, 12:32 PM
If you go by full season stats (hey there are only six games left) it's Trout in a landslide. Trout going to finish up his second season in a row with a BA of over 320. Plus he hits with power and plays great defense. Among the young position players he is a clear cut number one. Machado's B A has really dropped of the last few weeks. Down to 283 I believe. That IMO ranks him as the 2nd best young position players. What a great defense 3rd baseman he is. Plus he is a doubles machine at the plate. Just not in Trout's class overall. As for Harper so far he is a long way from superstar class. A good player yes but not a superstar. That could change as he is only 21 and has all the tools plus I think he was playing hurt for most of this year. I still think he well be a star. However based on field performance it's Trout.

Perhaps the most exciting 22 and under player is Jose Fernandez. Wow has this kid got great stuff. Looks like the next Clayton Kershaw. I hope Matt Harvey recovers from his injury. He is a little older but also has great stuff. IMO the two best young pitchers in the game.

I agree on Trout. Harper is very good but he plays hard and it looks like he could become injury prone. Very good but when there's that much hype, its going to be tough to live up to it.

melman
09-24-2013, 12:35 PM

Hoss the reason Trout started last year in late April was he had a serious viral infection that caused him to lose a lot of weight. I think Trout's numbers this year prove that he can carry the extra weight. Which he claims is his "normal" playing weight anyway. Whatever, the on field performance appears to prove him correct. Or maybe more players should report overweight. :)

melman
09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
I agree on Trout. Harper is very good but he plays hard and it looks like he could become injury prone. Very good but when there's that much hype, its going to be tough to live up to it.
I don't think Harper plays the game any harder than Trout. Saw Trout score from first base on a single to right-center field this year, plus score from 2nd of a fly ball to right-center. That is heads up and playing hard. So far at least Trout has been a two time all star on merit while Harper has been a two time all star on hype. Not Harper's fault just the way it is in the age of the 24 hour sports talk. Hey the have to have something to say. :)

melman
09-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Valuist--Have you seen Jose Fernandez pitch this year?? Wow is all I can say. What a great talent and only 20 years old at season's start. They shut him down for the rest of the year which was a smart move but he is well worth the price of admission to watch. Even in Maimi. :)

TheEdge07
09-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Hes not 20 and i know this for a fact!

melman
09-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Edge--You may be right. He fled Cuba and that country has some trouble with birth certifcates. However he lets say "reportly" just turned 21 during the season. Have you seen him??? He sure looks and acts like a very young guy.

TheEdge07
09-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Manny fits in with these guys, he will be 21 on July 6.

Trout – 55 Hits-9 HR-34 RBI- .297 BA

Harper – 40 Hits – 12 HR – 23 RBI - .288 BA

Machado – 64 Hits – 5 HR – 26 RBI - .322 BA

Machado will the be the best player in baseball 2 years from now.A young Arod.

Valuist
09-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Valuist--Have you seen Jose Fernandez pitch this year?? Wow is all I can say. What a great talent and only 20 years old at season's start. They shut him down for the rest of the year which was a smart move but he is well worth the price of admission to watch. Even in Maimi. :)

Haven't seen him for a full game. Only on Baseball Tonight. It seems like a lot of real young pitching phenoms either get hurt, or flame out. Hopefully that won't be the case with him.

Re: Harper, he does things like running into walls which aren't good for career longevity. He'll probably learn he can't keep doing that.

TheEdge07
09-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Haven't seen him for a full game. Only on Baseball Tonight. It seems like a lot of real young pitching phenoms either get hurt, or flame out. Hopefully that won't be the case with him.

Re: Harper, he does things like running into walls which aren't good for career longevity. He'll probably learn he can't keep doing that.

Harper has no position below average outfielder takes terrible angles on balls hit in gaps and no judgement on fly balls.