PDA

View Full Version : American Racecallers.....

racingrev
01-05-2004, 07:35 AM
A great Kiwi greeting to you all.

Terrific Forum with super posts...

I'm an Aussie Racecaller working in New Zealand. I love listening to Racecallers from around the world with different styles..

My own career was greatly influenced by the greatest ever Australian Racecaller Bill Collins...aka The Accurate One.. and the B.B.C's Sir Peter O'Sullivan..Both experts at their craft.

I'm interested in your opinions as to the best Racecallers/Announcers in the United States and why you think so. It's a great thing to get feedback from genuine race goers, who with the advent of television and the internet are right up to speed with us...

My personal favourites in the U.S. are Trevor Denman and Tom Durkin...But you guys obviously know more than me about your locals so I'll throw the floor open....

blind squirrel
01-05-2004, 09:14 AM
michael wrona,FAIRGROUNDS.i think he's from AUSTRALIA.
very accurate and clever.although i think they made him
drop his mother in law joke......stayin on like a mother in
law!

BillW
01-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by racingrev
A great Kiwi greeting to you all.

Terrific Forum with super posts...

I'm an Aussie Racecaller working in New Zealand. I love listening to Racecallers from around the world with different styles..

My own career was greatly influenced by the greatest ever Australian Racecaller Bill Collins...aka The Accurate One.. and the B.B.C's Sir Peter O'Sullivan..Both experts at their craft.

I'm interested in your opinions as to the best Racecallers/Announcers in the United States and why you think so. It's a great thing to get feedback from genuine race goers, who with the advent of television and the internet are right up to speed with us...

My personal favourites in the U.S. are Trevor Denman and Tom Durkin...But you guys obviously know more than me about your locals so I'll throw the floor open....

racingrev,

Welcome to the forum. There have been quite a few discussions of likes and dislikes regarding race calling on this forum ... lots of opinions.
Try this thread:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3737&highlight=race+callers

That will be a good start. Check out the search function also, there are quite a few other threads (not quite so focused) discussing race calling.

Bill

trying2win
01-05-2004, 03:24 PM
--Can someone tell me, is Trevor Denman originally from England or Australia?

Thanks,

Trying2win

blind squirrel
01-05-2004, 03:30 PM
SOUTH AFRICA,i think.

BillW
01-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by blind squirrel
SOUTH AFRICA,i think.

That's got my vote (At least from that area, if not the country)

Bill

trying2win
01-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Blind Squirrel and Bill W,

--You're both right on, regarding where Trevor Denman hails from.
I never would have guessed Trevor was from South Africa, what with his accent!

--After I read your replies here at the PA site, I did a search at the Google website and saw this interesting article about Trevor Denman:

http://www.camptownraces.com/page6.html

Thanks,

Tryingwin

sq764
01-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Holy shit, this Tampa Bay guy is absolutely horrendous.. I watched 3 races today and in 2 of them, he called the wrong horses.. And we are not talking tight photos, we are talking clear as day horses..

Every night, the Delaware Park replay show is on and when they are not live, they show replays from other tracks. Everytime they show Tampa, the host (sometimes its John Curran - announcer at Delaware Park), they take pot shots at this TB announcer.. Now I know why..

kingfin66
01-06-2004, 01:15 AM
I think Robert Geller, who calls the races at both Emerald Downs and Sunland, is excellent. He calls the full field, speaks quickly, yet clearly, and has a great voice. If memory serves me correctly, he is an Aussie too.

Longacres (now demolished) used to have an announcer by the name of Gary Henson. I believe he worked at Bay Meadows too. I also liked his work, but wonder what ever became of him.

racingrev
01-06-2004, 01:54 AM
He certainly is an Aussie...Called the shots in Hong Kong after another Aussie Jim McGrath went to the BBC in London and took over from Sir Peter O'Sullivan when he retired.

Really glad to hear Rob is doing well, he was always a fine caller...

Dan Montilion
01-06-2004, 02:40 AM
Racingrev,

I suppose the two callers you mentioned, along with Michael Wrona are at the top of the heap. Retired quarter horse announcer Bobby Doyle was as good as they come. The best I have heard since my start in the game in 1972 was the late Chic Anderson. Most will recall his "tremedous machine" utterance in the '73 belmont. However, the call that still sends shivers down my neck is was the "74 belmont when Affirmed and Alydar were dead even, Anderson called "we'll test these two to the wire". Perfect, crisp and clean. Unfortunatley over the years most of the announcers in the states have seemingly come to the belief that THEY are the game. In a position that should be an aid to the punter/handicapper they have become a pain in where one sits. After reading your post I gave some thought to what a good announcer is...

1. Accurate.
2. Clear of voice and tone.
3. During the call of the race stays out of the way of the race, no anticipating what may or may not happpen.
4. No grunts, growls and high pitched calls.
5. And please mother of God no canned phrases.
6. During the winners circle events just give the facts. Heard too many callers have the need to show they are "in the group". Example calling a rider by a nickname.
7. Between races speaking no more than is neccesary to keep the handicappers informed of important annoucments. There is no reason to pass along the half time score of the Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions or some other non-sense.

For my money a good announcer is like a prize fight caliber boxing referee. He does the job correctly without anybody knowing he was in the ring.

Dan Montilion

racingrev
01-06-2004, 03:09 AM
Hey Man,

I really appreciate the time and effort you have taken to think out your reply...

I try to call the races I do with your same moto.. As my best critic I would say I overstate the play a tad as I call a lot of Mid Weekers in my circuit and to be honest if you don't play it up no one really is interested...

When you get your mouth around some Group/Grade Racing it's a whole different ballgame..The horses do the talking for you if you are up to par..

Greatest call I've heard sums up your post to a tee...

Bill Collins in the Australian Cup at Flemington in 1987... The Great New Zealander Bonecrusher clashing with the previous year's Melbourne Cup Winner in At Talaq...

At Talaq shot 3 lengths in front of Bonecrusher with 400meters or 1/4 mile tp go...Collins cried out Bonecrusher's going to be everything we thought to peg At Talaq back.. His call over the up coming moments was pure bliss....Two nations were urging the Modern Day Big Red to win and so was Bill but listening to his call he never overstated the mark...As they hit the line...He declared Bonecrusher a nose to At Talaq...

That's why they called him the Accurate One....

The Course Broadcaster and the other Radio Caller could not split them, it was that close...But with all the flair and brilliance of quite possibly the greatest Racecaller to ever pick up a pair of Binoculars..Bill got it right....

I'll never forget that moment and the thud of his fist on the desk as he called the finish...Watching an all time master in action...

If anyone wants to listen to this race e mail me at racingrev@ihug.co.nz and I will buzz it back.....

Cheers..:)

Dan Montilion
01-06-2004, 03:55 AM
Racingrev,

I've heard Mr. Collins call of the race you mentioned and indeed that call captured the moment. I recall a buddy had the call on tape and only later he was sent the tape. Seeing the race after hearing the call is really a great way to see how good a caller is or is not, if you will.

In your following of announcers in the states have you noticed the seemingly need of these announcers to predict what will happen? Maybe I'm a prisoner of my own circuit here in northern California. Also do you notice that when an incident happens, say and unfortunate spill or a rider being tossed at break that American announcers seemed to be unable to call the event once?

Dan Montilion

racingrev
01-06-2004, 04:31 AM
I'm not familiar with the current Northern California Callers. Might have heard a call or two from Golden Gate, but I couldn't be sure..

It is a very dangerous thing for a Racecaller to anticipate. Many try to but come unstuck big time...If you want to be an anticipater you have to have an inground knowledge of the game and be the top of your class, even then you can still mess up.

I was calling a race at a provincial track here in New Zealand over four years ago when a horse seemingly fell in a screaming heap. He was going backwards quicker than anything at the 600meters..Out of my mouth came, " He spat out the dummy.."

In other words he was gone...Well he must have had very big ears because the moment I said that, he booted back hard and at the line went under by inches...

A blunder..Yes..But, certainly a near catastrophe...

His trainer who happens to be a good friend sent me a dummy in a clod of dirt for a memento....

Pace Cap'n
01-06-2004, 07:43 AM
:) :)

Doubtless the best line I've heard in a race call.

It would be interesting if you could post some of the more colorful idioms used in Kiwi and Aussie racing, along with their translations for us Statesiders.

levinmpa
01-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Some of my present and past favorites.

Tom Durkin, the best in the business. He's called every Breeders' Cup race. I wouldn't want to hear anyone else call those races.

Harry Henson was a classic at Hollywood. His son Gary was terrific too, calling the races as Longacres, and a couple of season at Hollypark.

Todd Creed(not sure of the spelling) called the races at Bay Meadows for many years. "They turn for home with a quarter mile to come".

Phil Georgeff. "here they come spinning out of the turn" "like a shot" "we've got ourselves a donneybrook" Chicago racing never has seemed the same since he retired.

Ken Miller at Prairie Meadows. I just enjoy hearing his calls.

John Gibson, announcer at Golden Gate and Bay Meadows in the 80's until he got in trouble with the law. He had a deep voice and was very accurate.

Marshal Cassidy called the NYRA tracks prior to Durking taking over. He had a very unique style.

Phil Salzman at Calder. "and they're not going to get him today"

There are many more, but those are my favorites.

marcus
01-06-2004, 01:11 PM
hi kiwi, we have a guy over here called TOMO (Derek Thompson) hes good for a laugh, when he drops a clanger its a big one , but hes a millionaire for it , keep going theres money in it , my mate peter (sorry, sir) o sullivan is a great guy hes still around, had lunch the other day in Newmarket with him, sorry to say that his eye sight is fading black glasses and all. but a genuine guy il mention this to him when i see him next, he will be pleased, thanks marcus

sq764
01-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Personally, I think the very best announcer out there is Michael Chamberlain at Sam Houston.. He is accurate and he knows when to get excited and when not to.. Truely a pleasure to hear his race calls..

racingrev
01-06-2004, 03:54 PM
No problems Pace Cap'n....Just off to the Tauranga Races for a day's work so I'll post some of our sayings when I return...

Thomason
01-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Dear racingrev,

I've had the pleasure of spending two vacations in your glorious country. Truly, one of the most beautiful places on earth. It's like the Rockies, Big Sur and Ireland, all rolled into one. The flight is a bit long, but it's worth it. You Kiwis breed some fine horses, too.

Michael Thomason

racingrev
01-07-2004, 06:23 AM
I won't borrow from other Aussie/Kiwi Callers, but I'll pull a few sayings or phrases out of my own bag of tricks that I use when the occassion arises...

1/. When the field covers more than say 15/20 lengths in the back straight.... " There strung out like snags(sausages or saveloys) on a Butchers hook"....

2/. When a field suddenly bunches up on the home turn..."There jammed up like a can of sardines." Or, " You could throw a nappy over them."

3/. A 3 year old filly called Phoebe, ridden by a very attractive 18 year old female appentice, shot clear with a furlong to go, when suddenly challenged by a late finisher. Phoebe was game and hanging on to victory, I said. " Phoebe clinging on like a nylon neglige.." (Hope I spelt it right....I still get comments on that one over two years after the event.)

4/. Don't you hate it when they drop anchor in the lead on a wet track and the sectionals slow to a walk. " There going slower than last week's re runs of Day's Of Our Lives.."

Some people hate a bit of humour in a Racecall, but from the feedback that I have recieved over twenty years of calling in Australia and New Zealand 95./. of the public love a bit of fun, especially at the lower grade meetings on wet tracks during winter...

I hope I've managed to entertain you, even a wee bit in print today..

Cheers..

Darren Tyquin...racingrev....

Pace Cap'n
01-07-2004, 07:36 AM
:D :D :D

Thanks very much for the very entertaining reply. The perfect way to start my day.

Humor in racecalls is something you hear very seldom over here. A racecaller in Louisiana (need help here, board members) would occaisionally call a race in character(s), beginning as himself, then a british caller, and as they turned for home switch to Rodney Dangerfield. That was always good for a laugh.

It's always been a mystery to me how a caller can even keep track of the horses at all. To do it with a bit of levity here and there creates a much more enjoyable listening experience, IMO.

Thanks again for the laugh,
Steve

P.S. The weather here has been colder than a mother-in-law's kiss.

racingrev
01-07-2004, 07:58 AM
I must remember that as it does get cold here....

BillW
01-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Pace Cap'n
: A racecaller in Louisiana (need help here, board members) would occaisionally call a race in character(s), beginning as himself, then a british caller, and as they turned for home switch to Rodney Dangerfield. That was always good for a laugh.

Pace,

That's Frank Mirahmadi. I think he does some Turf Paradise also when subbing for Luke K. He does Dangerfield, Trevor Denman and Marv Albert among others.

Bill

SandyE
01-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Affirmed and Alyder came later in 78 not 74. Remember Affirmed didn't win the TC until after Seatle Slew won in 77. There were no TC winner in 74.

To RacingRev I grew up listening to Chic Anderson and he was awesome. Besides Tom Durkin there's Dave Johnson who calls the races at the Meadowlands. There's another race caller here in New Jersey who is pretty good. I'll have to get back to you as to his name. :) Sorry can't seem to recall it at the moment.

Dan Montilion
01-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Sandy E

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Dan Montilion

SandyE
01-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Don't a problem Dan, just thought I'd help you a bit, and funny thing I can't recall the name of the KD winner for '74. :D

Thomason
01-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Cannonade, ridden by Angel Cordero Jr. and trained by Woody C. Stephens

SandyE
01-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Thank you Thomason
Now how could I have forgotten that name I ask you?
:)

racingrev
01-09-2004, 04:40 AM
I don't want to bag anyone.....

But I was watching some races on the net today from the States..Won't mention which ones...And was amazed how bored some of the Racecallers seemed in the first half of the races.

Is this common?.....

If we performed in the same manner in Australia or New Zealand we would be given the DCM..Don't Come Monday...Or ever..

I have also noticed a number of pregnant pauses..eg; " The fav is last at the 1/2 mile."......5 seconds or so to the next word.

Being a fan of Trevor Denman I notice that his style is more ratatattat..Mike Wrona seems to be the same...

Any thoughts....

Lefty
01-09-2004, 12:17 PM
SandyE, glad someone remembers Chic Anderson besides me. He was the son of the local sports columnist, Dick Anderson, both from my home town of Evansville, Ind. Chic was a smalltown boy who hit the bigtime. BTW, he started by calling races at ELP.

alysheba88
01-09-2004, 12:33 PM
racingrev,

Its a good thing you weren't around to hear Marshall Cassidy. Only guy who could put you to sleep even when you were on the verge of a big score.

Lefty
01-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Alysheba, you're so right about Marshall Cassiday. He could make a triple dead heat seem unexciting.

alysheba88
01-09-2004, 12:53 PM
From the time he said "the half in 46" there would be dead silence until midway through the stretch. Then that stupid "Easy Goer with the leaaad"

Tom
01-10-2004, 12:57 PM
I believe the horse was named Tora Tora Tora?
The way he called it, I thouhgt it was record with a skip in it.
I was at Satagoa one year with the Sartin group, andd we got there early, sat in the tent next to the paddock. MC was sitting in the little booth in the paddock, where they broadcast the racing highlight show from. He sat, at attention, coat and tie on, in sweltering heat, never moving from what I could see, for at least an hour before the started rolling the cameras for the first race.
I thought it was a statue at first.

Tom
01-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Once called a funny one at FL...forget the horse, but it was something like," Red Apple looking for his best stride...and can't find it!"
Another one was, "Les Hulet asks for something more....and doesn't get it."
One of my favorites was, "...whipping and driving, and losing ground with every stride...."
And another,"....and here comes Red Apple, from downtown Canandaigua with coffe and a donut...."

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2004, 02:33 PM
I worked with Marshall for a number of years....I think he gets a bum rap at times as a race caller. He was sort of a throwback to the old time callers, but he did more than they used to (meaning, he did more than just call the horses names and position). His calls were accurate, and they weren't as boring as some make them out to be, if you listened to him on a day-in day-out basis....

There are certainly any number of callers working today who are worse....

In any event, personally, he is a helluva nice guy a great person to work with.....

Derek2U
01-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Have you done work 4 the Tbred business?

PaceAdvantage
01-10-2004, 06:17 PM
I have and continue to do so....

Tom
01-10-2004, 07:51 PM
PA,
I didn't mean to put him down, just was the way he was.
Actually, after listening to Tom Durkin, I miss MC's calls.
Better by faaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr IMHO.

Hosshead
01-11-2004, 02:46 AM
Harry Henson was GREAT !!

SandyE
01-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi PA I was going to mention Marshall Cassidy but thought someone would have a comment about him. What I think is funny is that I listen to other racecallers and try to imagine the race from gate to wire. I can think of at least 3 if not 4 that you can failry much know where the horses are at each call point.
Totally cool that you worked for Marshall Cassidy.

PaceAdvantage
01-11-2004, 07:00 PM
I worked with him after his race calling days at NYRA were over...

delayjf
01-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Marshall Cassidy that called the 78 Belmont. Who ever it was, it's one of my favorite race calls. For my money Trevor, Wrona, and Durkin are in a class by themselves. Wrona can be very comical sometimes.

I think if Johnson is going to call major races like the Kentucky Derby, he needs to maintain his sharpness. I recall one recent derby were he all but stopped calling the race as the horses were entering the far turn, not sure how long of a pause it was, but it sure seemed long.

SandyE
01-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Why did he stop calling the races? Never could figure out the why of it.

Milleruszk
01-12-2004, 01:00 PM
The first race caller I ever heard was Fred Capposella who used to be the NYRA announcer in the 60's. My father would watch the races on TV and would take me to Aqueduct and Belmont Park. Since, he was my "first", in my mind he will always be the best! I would love to get hold of some old tapes of him calling races just to see if I am justified in singing his praises. Anyone remember old Fred?

Tom

PaceAdvantage
01-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Sandy, I never asked much about it (here and there), but I think the story was that it wasn't his choice....but again, I'm going by my faulty memory here, and NOT first hand info....

SandyE
01-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Not a problem
Sometimes even faulty memories have a tendancy to be fairly accurate. Larry Collmus, Track Announcer (and I had to go to there site to find his name) has a unique way of race calling. I can to a certain extend listen to his race call but I find I have to be watching as the race unfolds, unlike Marshall Cassidy, Chic Anderson, also the one that calls at Del Mar Trevor Denman I can just listen to his race call and know where the horses are at during the running of a race. Who called the races prior to Larry Collmus for Monmouth Park? Going to DW in less then 62 days. Going to be there in time for the Fl Derby, actualy it's two days before I leave for Florida. Gotta check NYRA for I think believe there's a prep race there for the weekend I'm actually at Disney World. Gotta find a place to watch the races from. Got any ideas?
Saturday, March 13 -- $1,000,000-guaranteed
Florida Derby (Grade 1)
Florida Derby Nominations
three-year-olds
one mile and one-eighth.

Saturday, March 13 -- $150,000-guaranteed
Swale Stakes (Grade 3)
three-year-olds
seven furlongs.

Saturday, March 13 -- $100,000-guaranteed
Skip Away Handicap (Grade 3)
three-year-olds and up
one mile and one-sixteenth.

Saturday, March 13 -- $150,000-guaranteed
Stonerside Forward Gal Stakes (Grade 2)
fillies, three-year-olds
seven furlongs.

Saturday, March 13 -- $60,000-added
Marshua's River Stakes
fillies and mares, three-year-olds and up
one mile, turf.

Saturday, March 13 -- $100,000-guaranteed
Stonerside Forward Gal Stakes (Grade 3)
fillies, three-year-olds
seven furlongs.

Sunday, March 14-- $200,000-guaranteed
Rampart Handicap (Grade 2)
one mile and one-eighth.

SandyE
01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
3/20/2004 The Gotham III 200,000 3YO 1 Mile
3/20/2004 The Cicada III 100,000 added F 3YO 7 Furlongs
Saturday, March 20-- $200,000-guaranteed
Pan American Handicap (Grade 2)
three-year-olds and up
one mile and one-half, turf.

Saturday, March 20-- $60,000-added
Caltech Handicap
three-year-olds
one mile and one-eighth, turf.

Sunday, March 21-- $200,000-guaranteed
Orchid Handicap (Grade 2)
one mile and one-half, turf.

Sunday, March 21-- $60,000-added
Via Borghese
three-year-old fillies
one mile and one-sixteenth, turf.
Looks like I could be spending at least one day at the ESPN bar/grill.

Dan Montilion
01-13-2004, 07:38 PM
I think the previous announcer at Monmouth was Bob Weems. Now I'm going back to faulty memory circuits also.

I also miss Marshall Cassidy. I recall him as being very accurate and unique as well. I can also recall every once in awhile he would abandon his typical call and just rip through the field just to show one that he indeed could. If Mr. Cassidy was pushed out for Durkin that is a shame. I suppose NYRA feels that announcers have to go for guttural dramatic bellowing. Hell they could have gone to RFK and got a Redskins fan wearing a dress and a pigs snout if they wanted grunting and growling.

Keeneland race course in the early eighties had the best announcer ever.

Dan Montilion

SandyE
01-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Dan Montilion how could I forget Bob Weems name? Those guys spoiled us me thinks. Where is Weems now still calling the races?

turffan
01-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Milleruszk
The first race caller I ever heard was Fred Capposella who used to be the NYRA announcer in the 60's. My father would watch the races on TV and would take me to Aqueduct and Belmont Park. Since, he was my "first", in my mind he will always be the best! I would love to get hold of some old tapes of him calling races just to see if I am justified in singing his praises. Anyone remember old Fred?

Tom

I remember listening to him call NYRA races when the feature was broadcast to where I lived on Saturdays. "They're not going to catch him today" and "In front" were his inventions and trademarks. If you ever watch a Mad About You re-run, the "In Front" voiced in the closing credits is a recording of him.

racingrev
01-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Was listening to Trevor Denman calling today at Santa Anita....

As a Racecaller I would dub him as the Racecaller's Racecaller...

A great voice, style, turn of phrase excitement factor etc....

But man alive I don't know another in the world that reads the play as accurately and brilliantly...

In the 2nd last a $75,000 race with a small field, the short priced favourite seemed to be making no headway at the rear of the pack. For not one moment was Denman temted to anticipate, rather he called the shots with a call, within a call...Never favouring the popular elect at the expense of the rest but brilliantly portraying the finish...

Well done Trevor and long may you continue...

trying2win
01-22-2004, 12:25 AM
--Here's an article about Michael Wrona, if anyone's interested:

http://www.fgno.com/whatsnew/features/011904feature.html

Trying2win

nomadpat
01-22-2004, 12:45 AM
I am curious-

Whatever happened to the announcer at Garden State? I've forgotten his name, but he was absolutley hysterical.
My favorite one was when a speedball was fading on the final turn, he would say "And here come the Indians!" :)

fiveouttasix
01-22-2004, 06:27 AM
I think his name is Larry Lederman. He is calling Harness races at Freehold.

balarat
01-22-2004, 10:02 AM
sadly, bob weems, the old voice at atlantic city, monmouth and turf paradise, passed away a few years ago. exciting announcer and very nice man.

racingrev
01-28-2004, 09:12 AM
I'm interested to know who the very fine racecaller was at Sunland Park yesterday....

Liked his style....

THANKXXXXX.