PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Spurs so much better than last year?

Zippy Chippy
05-16-2012, 09:30 PM
I can't get over how good the Spurs are this year (especially the last month or so). Its the same team as last year. I know they were the #1 seed last year too, but they looked terrible in the playoffs. They are even a year older. I'm amazed at how good they look right now. I think this years NBA western conference finals could be the best one in 20 years. Also the Heat/Celts potential series could be fun to watch too. This is great for the NBA.

lamboguy
05-17-2012, 08:41 AM
the SPURS still have MATT BONNER. my friend coached him in his high school days in New Hampshire. not many players from New Hampshire make it to the NBA!

Canarsie
05-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Because they fell below the radar while they were getting younger. It's a testimonial to their organization that an achievement like that can go barely unnoticed.

The same thing happened to the Mavericks last year nobody picked them at the start of the season. My theory on all of this and I'm throwing OKC into the mix is that they all have superior management teams. Its what makes the west so tough just to get into the finals. OKC stole Perkins that was a great move.

I would include the Clippers but their GM is David Stern.

Valuist
05-17-2012, 09:28 AM
They also have a great coach, not to mention players who are willing to play unselfishly.

Robert Goren
05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Because they fell below the radar while they were getting younger. It's a testimonial to their organization that an achievement like that can go barely unnoticed.

The same thing happened to the Mavericks last year nobody picked them at the start of the season. My theory on all of this and I'm throwing OKC into the mix is that they all have superior management teams. Its what makes the west so tough just to get into the finals. OKC stole Perkins that was a great move.

I would include the Clippers but their GM is David Stern.The Clipper still have the worst ownership in sports.

Canarsie
05-17-2012, 01:30 PM
The Clipper still have the worst ownership in sports.

I said that in jest Robert.

witchdoctor
05-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Parker was challenged by Pop to take charge and he has responded. Manu and Duncan are healthy this year. Diaw and Jackson are key mid season acquisitions. Kawhi Leonard is better than expected. Green and Splitter are coming into their own. Add in the best coach in the NBA and you got a good team.

dav4463
05-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Last year the Spurs went into the playoffs with Manu Ginobili trying to play with a broken arm. Duncan and Parker were also banged up and they still put up a good fight against a team that was clearly better than an 8 seed. The Grizzlies were one of the hottest teams going at playoff time last year.

Valuist
05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
According to the Zig-Zag theory, the Spurs are the play in game 2. The idea is the underdog will have one bullet to fire in the opening two games on the road. In this case, the Thunder played a very strong, winnable game but came up on the wrong end of a 101-98 score (although they did secure the pointspread cover) so they did fire their bullet. Game 3 at home is a must win for them so that will be another bullet. Since they fired their bullet in game 1, they become a go-against in game 2.

Having said that, the Thunder are not the classic "big underdog" so the theory may not be as strong as it would be in a series with a heavy favorite/big underdog.

Valuist
05-30-2012, 01:03 PM
According to the Zig-Zag theory, the Spurs are the play in game 2. The idea is the underdog will have one bullet to fire in the opening two games on the road. In this case, the Thunder played a very strong, winnable game but came up on the wrong end of a 101-98 score (although they did secure the pointspread cover) so they did fire their bullet. Game 3 at home is a must win for them so that will be another bullet. Since they fired their bullet in game 1, they become a go-against in game 2.

Having said that, the Thunder are not the classic "big underdog" so the theory may not be as strong as it would be in a series with a heavy favorite/big underdog.

Zig zag worked in game 2 as the Spurs went on to a 9 point win. Game 3 zig zag play is on the Thunder.

Valuist
06-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Zig zag worked in game 2 as the Spurs went on to a 9 point win. Game 3 zig zag play is on the Thunder.

Zig Zag is now 2-0 in the series. Game 4 zig zag play is on the Spurs.

Valuist
12-19-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm a Bulls fan, but the Spurs have been my "adopted" Western conference team for a long time. Nobody has been better ATS over the years. But I've noticed something very interesting about this team this season: much more uptempo than in the past. The Popovich/Duncan Spurs have almost always been considered one of the slower tempo teams. I know we have some Texas guys on this forum; have you noticed any difference?

dav4463
12-30-2012, 07:25 PM
NBA actually changed their rules a few years back by eliminating hand-checking. (mainly because the whining Mark Cuban was tired of Bruce Bowen shutting them down!)...league felt that the offensive players needed more freedom to do what they do.....(LeBron, Wade, Dirk, etc.)

Spurs had to change their style to keep up with the times. The Mavs and Suns free-wheeling style was the flavor of the month and games were more high scoring.

Pop is a solid enough coach to change his team's style. Spurs learned to play up-tempo.

What I like about the Spurs is they do not emphasize the individual super-star over the team. That goes against the NBA and David Stern's idea of what the NBA should be. But, Pop has never been one to go with the flow!

Spurs are doing something right. They have the highest winning percentage of any team in any sport since Tim Duncan came into the league.

cj
12-30-2012, 09:47 PM
NBA actually changed their rules a few years back by eliminating hand-checking. (mainly because the whining Mark Cuban was tired of Bruce Bowen shutting them down!)...league felt that the offensive players needed more freedom to do what they do.....(LeBron, Wade, Dirk, etc.)

Spurs had to change their style to keep up with the times. The Mavs and Suns free-wheeling style was the flavor of the month and games were more high scoring.

Pop is a solid enough coach to change his team's style. Spurs learned to play up-tempo.

What I like about the Spurs is they do not emphasize the individual super-star over the team. That goes against the NBA and David Stern's idea of what the NBA should be. But, Pop has never been one to go with the flow!

Spurs are doing something right. They have the highest winning percentage of any team in any sport since Tim Duncan came into the league.

The Spurs are fabulous, but don't think for one second they would have won at the level they have without superstars. Robinson/Duncan and then Duncan/Parker certainly qualify. Popovic is also a very good coach, but if he took over the Bobcats they wouldn't be in the playoffs any time soon. It is a players league because only five are on the floor at a time.

dav4463
01-06-2013, 10:38 PM
The Spurs are fabulous, but don't think for one second they would have won at the level they have without superstars. Robinson/Duncan and then Duncan/Parker certainly qualify. Popovic is also a very good coach, but if he took over the Bobcats they wouldn't be in the playoffs any time soon. It is a players league because only five are on the floor at a time.

Unlike Phil Jackson, in my opinion, I think POP is a great teacher and could have the Bobcats in the playoffs fairly soon ....IF, and it is a big if......if he had the Spurs organization drafting players instead of the Bobcats.