PDA

View Full Version : 2012 AsD Parlay Challenge --> Moderator Announcement Thread

Track Collector
05-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Welcome everyone!

From past experience I know that most contest participants DO NOT see moderator comments that are posted in individual selection threads. This is natural as most folks post their own selections, but spend very little time viewing other parts of the thread.

In order to increase the chances that contest participants see comments that are intended for everyone, this specific thread has been created. PLEASE MAKE IT A PRIORITY TO READ ANY NEW POSTINGS.

Now on to the first "announcement". At the time of this posting there were 47 participants who have clicked on the "I have read and understand the rules" poll in the 2012 AsD Parlay Challenge forum area. For those who have, they are already aware of the following contest rule:

29. Only players who acknowledge that they have read and understand the rules by responding to the contest poll will be scored.

eddy1
05-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Posting of Day 1 results will be delayed until 2:00 PM CST to give everyone a chance to post in the "I have read and understand the rules" thread.

ALL CIRCUITS GO
05-17-2012, 11:50 AM
past posting
:)

Track Collector
05-20-2012, 12:48 AM
IMPORTANT NOTE: Monday (May 21st) is Victoria Day, a holiday recognized in most regions of Canada.

Contest Host Track Assiniboia Downs will be running and The AsD Ultimate Parlay Contest will be open for business! :jump:

Track Collector
05-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Participation is allowed in the AsD Parlay contest on Monday, 05/28.

See, Jay even recognizes US Holidays. :eek:

Track Collector
05-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Hello,

Recently a situation occurred in which a ruling was made NOT in favor of the player.

While sincere efforts are made to have the contest scoring as accurate as possible, sometimes mistake do occur.

Please be advised that the PLAYER is ultimately responsible for knowing where he/she is at all times, which will assist them in making future selection and/or banking decisions.

Chris

Track Collector
06-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Three quick comments / reminders:

(a) In order to be eligible for prizes and PACS award points, you need:
-- A minimum of 20 races from Host Track AsD.
-- A minimum of 30 overall races (including the AsD races).

At the end of Wednesday (06/13), we have only 14 contest days left, which include 9 race cards from AsD.

(b) When making selections, please avoid any confusion by listing the track by its' official DRF designation, unless you spell out the entire name. For example, use Bel (and not BP), AP (and not ARL), etc.

(c) If a player reaches a point where they can no longer meet the eligibility requirements in (a) above, they will be dropped from the Standings sheet.

Chris

Track Collector
06-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Hello,

Please be advised that selections will no longer be considered valid unless they are physically listed under the correct thread by midnight, Eastern Daylight Time for the associated contest day.

If you mistakenly post under the wrong thread, you MUST get them into the correct thread (by copying or re-typing) by midnight as mentioned above if you want them to be scored.

Most of you have done an excellent job of doing so and it is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Jay Trotter
06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Contest 7
Sept 19, 2012 - Oct 28, 2012
Match Play Championship
Top 64 Players Qualify for Head to Head Action

This will be an NCAA Bracket style contest
Heads-up Match Play will take place
Wednesday to Sunday each week
One Player will advance to the next round

REQUEST
I'm looking for input for how best to structure the competition
I would like it to be a Best of 5 or Best of 7
Where Players would go head to head
in a way that challenges their handicapping skills

It could be each game has the same format
Or each game could use different formats
No idea to dumb to post

PLEASE POST YOUR IDEAS IN THIS THREAD

Thanks for your consideration
:ThmbUp:

Turkoman
06-24-2012, 12:53 AM
If this match play contest took place in the past, I have no idea how it was organized, but I am willing to offer some input anyway. First of all, I assume that the top ranked player will face player #64 in the very first round, and that #2 will face #63, and so on.

Looking at the dates of the contest, I'm assuming that one round will be completed each week. In that case, 32 series per week will be played. Here's my idea:

When the contest kicks off, (#1 vs. #64), a series of races will be handed to both players for the week. One player can make a play in 50% of those races, while the other player attacks the other half. When the series of races is over, the winner can be determined by the amount of winnings accumulated, and will advance to the next round the following week. That's just my idea. I hope it was helpful.

Turkoman

Jay Trotter
06-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks Turkoman. This is the first time for this format. You are correct in that each match has one week to be completed and the matches will be set based on rankings. :ThmbUp:

JETSWIN
06-25-2012, 10:18 PM
if you use different formats for each game

game #1 the moderator would designate a track say assiniboia downs races 1 thru 9 both players are allotted 15 picks total for the card w/win place totals scored

example
player1 player2
1st- #7,8 1st- 2
2nd- 5,6 2nd- 6
3rd- 3 3rd- 1,5,6,7
4th
5th

game #2 the moderator chooses any 2 race cards say ASD & BEL both players pick (any) 8 races of the 18 races win/place score

just my thoughts

Track Collector
06-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Here are some suggestions......

ONE OPTION:

I think a best of 7 would be the best, as the longer the series, the better chance that skill prevails rather than luck. The drawback of a best of 7 vs. best of five is that there must be one match each day with no off days.

I think that given this is the initial offering of the "match play" contest, it would likely be too complex to try to offer multiple formats, so just go with the same format for each and every match.

The contest would be determined by the best ROI.
Only Thoroughbred Races would be played.
Players would be required to wager precisely $100 total (in whole dollar increments) each and every race.
The higher seed would select the Track for the first match, then track selections would alternate for future matches. Track selections must be made AT LEAST 24 hours in advance to allow adequate preparation by both players. If the person responsible for the track selection does not do so within the prescribed time, a specially appointed moderator would select the track.
To minimize the luck factor, the only wager types allowed would be Win, Place, Show, and Exacta. In addition, the maximum BASE wager on any exacta would be $3.
Players would be allowed to post/modify selections up to one minute prior to the race off time (just like all the other contests). This would allow for late scratches and close to off-time odds determination.
Players who wager MORE than $100 would have their wager amounts modified per the usual way done for other contests.
Players who wager LESS than $100 would only receive scoring credits for the actual plays and amounts wagered. ROI calculations would still be based on the $100 amount they were SUPPOSED to wager.

ANOTHER OPTION:

Conduct exactly like the PAIHL contest, except now you have individuals competing against each other rather than teams. Also let players alternate track selection rather than use a Master Scheduler. This option has the benefit of allowing one to not have to follow each and every race. It has the drawback for those who excel or make better use of last minute situations.

ndsc32
06-26-2012, 10:09 AM
IMO I think the amount wagered on races should be the $2 level, not $100. Fail to see the reasoning for higher amounts. Only makes it more confusing. Also, feel the Adminstrator should pre-determine the races to be used, not the entrant. Win, Place, Show and Exacta types would be fine. Make it plain and simple. Follow the basketball playoff method. Winners move on, losers are out. IMO.

Thanks.