PDA

View Full Version : TVG & Exchange Betting?

David-LV
05-16-2012, 02:29 PM
All they do is talk about exchange betting on TVG, they think by talking about it will happen.

They have as much chance of getting exchange betting approved in this country by the horsemen and trainers as I do of training the next Kentucky Derby winner.

_______
David-LV

usedtolovetvg
05-16-2012, 02:58 PM
I would like someone to help me out but, it seems to me, that Betfair's involvement with Hollywood Park has not really helped. Weren't they promised the unique expertise of Betfair/TVG's superlative marketing team. Now, if I read the Chrims numbers right, and I am not to certain I did, I found that HP numbers were down nearly 20% yoy, the week after the Derby. Personally that is what I would have believed TVG's marketing department would have done. But, then again, I could be wrong. I also thought I saw that Los Al was down nearly 25% the week after the Derby yoy.

David, good luck in training that Derby winner.

Al Gobbi
05-17-2012, 02:35 AM
I would like someone to help me out but, it seems to me, that Betfair's involvement with Hollywood Park has not really helped. Weren't they promised the unique expertise of Betfair/TVG's superlative marketing team. Now, if I read the Chrims numbers right, and I am not to certain I did, I found that HP numbers were down nearly 20% yoy, the week after the Derby. Personally that is what I would have believed TVG's marketing department would have done. But, then again, I could be wrong. I also thought I saw that Los Al was down nearly 25% the week after the Derby yoy.

David, good luck in training that Derby winner.

It doesn't help that their races fall right on top of Belmont's.

usedtolovetvg
05-17-2012, 09:03 AM
It doesn't help that their races fall right on top of Belmont's.

Isn't there a 3 hour time difference?

horses4courses
05-17-2012, 09:34 AM
All they do is talk about exchange betting on TVG, they think by talking about it will happen.

They have as much chance of getting exchange betting approved in this country by the horsemen and trainers as I do of training the next Kentucky Derby winner.

_______
David-LV

Agreed.
The TVG presenters, I'm sure, are merely carrying out orders from above.
"Talk it up....it can't hurt" attitude.
Truth is, it will never happen. I have stated this before on PA.
Exchange wagering is merely a different spin on bookmaking.
Bookmaking is illegal in most of the U.S.
That won't change anytime soon.

usedtolovetvg
05-17-2012, 10:20 AM
From my perspective, this is borne out of desperation. There are goings on corporately that may serious affect the current U.S. operation. It looks like the much ballyhooed deal with HP is a loser. They have put all there eggs in the Socal basket and that doesn't appear to be working out too well for them. I predict major changes for Betfair USA if and when the Exchange Wagering deal fails to get done.

edmond1
05-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Every 2 seconds you here "BETFAIR hollywood park" . Is that necessary ???

VastinMT
05-18-2012, 12:38 AM
I don't think I'm the only one boycotting the park over the Betfair name whoring.

usedtolovetvg
05-18-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't think I'm the only one boycotting the park over the Betfair name whoring.

I have no problem with the selling of naming rights. All the sports Stadiums do it. My problem, in this particular case, was all of this great marketing that was going to take place. Granted, I haven't been to the track, so maybe someone can tell us about all the fabulous improvements there. All I see is that on TVG, as has been stated many times, they do say "Betfair Hollywood Park" incessantly. The shows are deteriorating rapidly. Again, what they are doing does not seem to be working. As far I can tell, handle is way down this spring and they are dragging Los Al down with it.

thaskalos
05-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Every 2 seconds you here "BETFAIR hollywood park" . Is that necessary ???

It's a sign of the times, I guess...

Like attaching the phrase..."presented by Yum Brands", every time the Kentucky Derby is mentioned on TV.

Ridiculous...:ThmbDown:

David-LV
05-18-2012, 09:56 AM
I have no problem with the selling of naming rights. All the sports Stadiums do it. My problem, in this particular case, was all of this great marketing that was going to take place. Granted, I haven't been to the track, so maybe someone can tell us about all the fabulous improvements there. All I see is that on TVG, as has been stated many times, they do say "Betfair Hollywood Park" incessantly. The shows are deteriorating rapidly. Again, what they are doing does not seem to be working. As far I can tell, handle is way down this spring and they are dragging Los Al down with it.

It looks like last year's boycott is really kicking in big time this year, maybe it's time to finally lower the takeouts and give the players a chance to go home with a few more dollars in their pockets.

The name change and the quality of racing has been a disaster this year.

_______
David-LV

usedtolovetvg
05-18-2012, 10:11 AM
It looks like last year's boycott is really kicking in big time this year, maybe it's time to finally lower the takeouts and give the players a chance to go home with a few more dollars in their pockets.

The name change and the quality of racing has been a disaster this year.

_______
David-LV

I'm not sure that the boycott, per se, has as much to do with it as much as common sense. Right now, there seems to be little reason to play Socal; small fields, big takeout, lack of quality. My surprise is that Betfair, given their superlative marketing, should be bringing in new fans. I don't see that happening. Television, arguably the greatest marketing tool, is a total disaster. That won't bring in anyone and only serves to piss off the few fans they do have. The internet presence is non-existent, other than the betting site which, again, will not attract any new fans. And, the new site is not nearly as fan-friendly as the old one.

Canarsie
05-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure that the boycott, per se, has as much to do with it as much as common sense. Right now, there seems to be little reason to play Socal; small fields, big takeout, lack of quality. My surprise is that Betfair, given their superlative marketing, should be bringing in new fans. I don't see that happening. Television, arguably the greatest marketing tool, is a total disaster. That won't bring in anyone and only serves to piss off the few fans they do have. The internet presence is non-existent, other than the betting site which, again, will not attract any new fans. And, the new site is not nearly as fan-friendly as the old one.

Please don't tell me you have an account with them. :eek:

usedtolovetvg
05-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Please don't tell me you have an account with them. :eek:

You could PM me for that answer.

castaway01
05-18-2012, 12:50 PM

I hope you've boycotted professional and college sports as well as attending concerts, since 95% of these events take place in "name-whored" arenas and stadiums. Yes, with all of the problems in racing, this seems a major concern.

David-LV
05-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Now The TVG talking heads are so full of themselves that on the Preakness show they did away with the morning lines odds and the current odds from the track and they are only talking about Betfair's, Simon's & Paul's odds.

What a comedy show and they are not funny.

VastinMT
05-19-2012, 10:24 AM
I hope you've boycotted professional and college sports as well as attending concerts, since 95% of these events take place in "name-whored" arenas and stadiums. Yes, with all of the problems in racing, this seems a major concern.

Actually, I'm a sports-venue-pimp boycotter. We have a nice basketball arena in SoCal pimped out by an office products company. I've seen games in that arena, but I don't shop for office products in those stores. And I tell others they could do the same.

For something as traditional as racing, if you have an older fan base and you put a giant "Betfair" middle finger in the face of their connection to good times past and present, it's not such a stretch to see the casually interested among them (such as myself) giving a middle finger in return and walking.

I also share the thought that fields seem to be chronically down in SoCal, and that should lead to a gradual decline in handle. This year's drop, however, seems more abrupt, though it's early.

Hope I haven't offended anyone. These are just my thoughts presented by Yum Brands.

usedtolovetvg
05-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Actually, I'm a sports-venue-pimp boycotter. We have a nice basketball arena in SoCal pimped out by an office products company. I've seen games in that arena, but I don't shop for office products in those stores. And I tell others they could do the same.

For something as traditional as racing, if you have an older fan base and you put a giant "Betfair" middle finger in the face of their connection to good times past and present, it's not such a stretch to see the casually interested among them (such as myself) giving a middle finger in return and walking.

I also share the thought that fields seem to be chronically down in SoCal, and that should lead to a gradual decline in handle. This year's drop, however, seems more abrupt, though it's early.

Hope I haven't offended anyone. These are just my thoughts presented by Yum Brands.

I agree on all counts. The younger fan base could care less about the name but, of course, there isn't any. The more mature fans appear, by and large, not to be impressed with the way Betfair has conducted themselves. Most seem to be against Exchange Wagering. And the pimping they are doing on TV is an absolute turn-off. There are more important factors than the naming of the track but there can be little doubt, that has alienated some, especially with the incessant jamming it down our throats on their deteriorating station.

usedtolovetvg
05-19-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm trying to keep track of how much the naming of Betfair Hollywood Park has helped handle. I know they do a great marketing job and I want to see how the handle is growing. It seems Equibase has stopped putting the totals. Is there anywhere I can go to see this year's daily BHP totals.

Canarsie
05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I'd like to add a few things here if I may.

First Betfair paid a negligible sum to get naming rights they have really nothing to lose.

To be clear, there was no big check changing hands, which is usually the case with naming-rights deals.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/23/sports/la-sp-dwyre-20120424

Almost right away you can tell Betfair wasn't investing much into this. They made an announcement last year about going high def. One would think Hollywood Park would be first in line to get the new equipment. I haven't heard a peep since then.

You would think they would at least give away free online programs to boost handle again nothing. Even if it was for other ADW players they still get a larger chunk because its an exclusive track.

Lets just say with all their incessant promotion of the name there really hasn't been any noticeable improvements. They plug their so called talent on twitter and lets just say much higher respected people in the industry have far larger numbers.

I hardly watch anymore keep the NYRA audio feed on for the whole day and know exactly when to switch to the paddock. To my dismay I'm even watching Rich Perloff less and he's a guy That I highly respect.

usedtolovetvg
05-20-2012, 04:35 PM
I'd like to add a few things here if I may.

First Betfair paid a negligible sum to get naming rights they have really nothing to lose.

To be clear, there was no big check changing hands, which is usually the case with naming-rights deals.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/23/sports/la-sp-dwyre-20120424

Almost right away you can tell Betfair wasn't investing much into this. They made an announcement last year about going high def. One would think Hollywood Park would be first in line to get the new equipment. I haven't heard a peep since then.

You would think they would at least give away free online programs to boost handle again nothing. Even if it was for other ADW players they still gethttp://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1281894# a larger chunk because its an exclusive track.

Lets just say with all their incessant promotion of the name there really hasn't been any noticeable improvements. They plug their so called talent on twitter and lets just say much higher respected people in the industry have far larger numbers.

I hardly watch anymore keep the NYRA audio feed on for the whole day and know exactly when to switch to the paddock. To my dismay I'm even watching Rich Perloff less and he's a guy That I highly respect.

I would like to ask you something now and this in no way is to be meant to be argumentative. I know you had a long conversation with Stephen Burn a while back. You seemed very impressed with him at the time. I wonder if your feelings about him have changed given what has happened or not happened since that conversation. I am saying this because, as I have stated before, during my fairly lengthy conversation with him, I found him to be disingenuous and, actually, one of the stupidest people I have ever met. I accept the fact that my opinion could be looked upon as being somewhat biased.

Canarsie
05-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I would like to ask you something now and this in no way is to be meant to be argumentative. I know you had a long conversation with Stephen Burn a while back. You seemed very impressed with him at the time. I wonder if your feelings about him have changed given what has happened or not happened since that conversation. I am saying this because, as I have stated before, during my fairly lengthy conversation with him, I found him to be disingenuous and, actually, one of the stupidest people I have ever met. I accept the fact that my opinion could be looked upon as being somewhat biased.

Honest is the only way I know how to be being a Brooklyn boy.

I still think highly of that conversation as almost all of the questions were from people here. Frankly I didn't know a lot of the questions I was asking and it was me who felt a little stupid. To the best of my knowledge he answered every question asked without pausing. He also volunteered stuff that wasn't asked. So my opinion of him hasn't changed I have no idea if he's handcuffed or not.

If he is in charge of hiring and firing talent then I will give him a D- or an F on that particular grade. There is no need to name individuals but when one dresses as a giraffe, another can't make a call at the wire to save his life and continues to get it wrong, when a longshot wins at NYRA and constantly says maybe there will be a carryover on the P4 (yes the P4!!!) one has to scratch his head.

The only other thing he disappointed me in was saying he believed that handicapping data should be free. Obviously that hasn't come to fruition and its a simple step.

I discussed the quarter charge but didn't go into it in depth because time didn't warrant. I certainly made my feeling know that it would never be paid by me or almost everyone from where the questions came from. I understand why they have it their overhead is way higher then anyone else's.

But as a whole he still is highly respected and he didn't have to take ninety minutes of his busy day to talk to a dummy like me.

usedtolovetvg
05-20-2012, 08:07 PM
And that's the way it should be. We are all entitled to our opinions. That's why I never get upset with anyone that sticks to their guns and defends their own feelings.