PDA

View Full Version : Christie the reason NJ sitting not moving on single-game sports betting?

bks
05-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Would appreciate any informed opinions anyone has into this development. The article gives three potential reasons why Christie might be stalling:

So why is Christie holding his state’s gambling interests hostage?

He’s running for vice president?

He wants a job in a Romney cabinet, perhaps taking charge of abolishing the Dept. of Education or Energy?

Sheldon Adelson says he won’t write any checks to Romney if Christie doesn’t behave?

It’s hard to pick the money ball out of the above three scenarios, but it’s unlikely that Christie would find any kind of fulfillment as an anonymous Cabinet secretary. All the signs indicate that despite his earlier denials, he’s fully on board if Romney wants him on the ticket.

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=274352

Here's hoping he doesn't get the VP nod.

Robert Fischer
05-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Wasn't he hand picked by folks that have other gambling interests in NJ ?

bigmack
05-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Isn't there a formality, like a ban on such wagering from the Feds, with the exception of four states, NOT including Joisey?

badcompany
05-15-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm confident it has to do with how to divvy up the loot.

I don't see why some other state hasn't jumped on this. Sports betting is a completely automated enterprise. What difference does it make where the server is based?

Tom
05-15-2012, 03:48 PM
I thought Atlantic City bought Christie - he works for them doesn't he?

Robert Goren
05-15-2012, 04:04 PM
The article loses all credibility when it says Christie might be running for VP. He could have had the top GOP spot if he wanted it. He knows it is not his time yet.
There is no way that federal law allows single game betting in NJ and there is no way that congress will change that law anytime soon. There too many anti-gambling people in congress on both sides of the aisle for it to happen. They could go to court, but almost everybody agrees they'd lose.