PDA

View Full Version : Meadowlands: 5/12

Teach
05-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Race One:

I'm picking #6 InTheBlinkOfAnEye. This 7-year-old Cole Muffler-bred gelding is partly owned and driven by Andy Miller. Julie Miller, Andy's wife, trains. I believe the race sets up for a closer and this horse is capable of closing. In his last, he made a strong brush at the 1/2 mile pole and wrested the lead away from the front-runner, Most Happy Keene; yet he surrendered the lead back in mid-stretch and settled for second. Did this horse need his last? This is his third pari-mutuel start off a layoff. This gelding has been very lightly raced. In the past, he faced much better. He has what I'dcall "the back-class factor". If the horse has rounded into shape, he can win. Yet, there are other horses to consider. The aforementioned #4 Most Happy Keene won this race last week. In his current sharp form he must be respected. "The "White Knight," Brian Sears, is looking for three in a row with this horse. He should be "on the engine" and playing "catch-me-if-you-can!" Then, there's #2 Stormin Rustler with "The Sorel Speedster," Yannick Gingras. The horse finished fourth to Most Happy Keene last week. Yet, this week, there is a difference. Vive La Difference! This Rustler Hanover-bred gelding moves from last week's outside starting post to the number-two hole. That should improve this horse's chances. Yes, he's been the proverbial bridesmaid this year - four seconds in thirteen tries - but this evening he could become the bridegroom, or at least, a winner. Now,I'm putting forth my off-the-wall, out-in-leftfield, over-the-Green Monstah longshot extravaganza. Nota Bene! A word to thewise is sufficient. #3 Blade Runner (sounds like an early-80s science-fiction cult movie) has a chance. I'm not sayin' he gonna necessarily win it; yet, that wouldn't be a complete shock. Let's take a look. Admittedly, the horse has shown very little, lately. Yet, this is his third pari-mutuel start back off a layoff. Finally, at long last, he gets a decent starting slot. Not that long ago this horsewas competing in the finals of "The Rags To Riches" (he finished next to last). Yet, the horse does fit well in this company. Daniel Dube drives for the part-owner and trainer Mark Ford.

Race Two:

There are two horses that I like in this race. I'm going to try and upset the logical with #3 Rockweiller. This pit bull of a horse got bet down last week and - he almost won. He did finish second to Long Live Rock. (he was the horse I was alluding to when I said in the open - "two horses"). I think the tables can be turned. The apple-cart can be upset. The world can be turned upside-down. Well, I think youget the picture. This horse now goes from the extreme outside to a favorable starting post. I think this well-bred three-year old is ready to have his picture taken in the winner's circle. Yannick Gingras is in the bike for Ron Burke. The main threat is #1 Long Live Rock. He won last week. He actually won handily last week. He's won both his 2012 pari-mutuel starts. He's driven by the ever capable "Bionic Man," Tim Tetrick. The horse will be right there. Tactics, strategy, driving skills, etc. should tell the story. Oh, lest I forget, there are other horses in the race. I can make a case #5 Pet Rock. In recent weeks, he looks like he's been setting the qualifying world record. He's qualified at three different tracks in the last month, yet, he's won all of them. However, he hasn't had a pari-mutuel start since last summer when he won at Indy (the harness track). He's certainly a well-bred Rocknroll Hanover colt; yet he looks like he'll need at least one pari-mutuel start. Finally, #4Rockndream hasn't shown much lately. Yet he did take part in the Survivor Series final, as part ofan entry. He might just be capable enough to complete an exotic.

Race Three:

I'm going to try and spring the upset here with #2 Sheer Desire. BrianSears picks up the drive; that's a plus. Yes, the horse hasn't shown much, yet I believe he's ready for a wake-up call. He's had some very difficult starting posts, but now he draws inside. I think he can surprise. #7 Joe De Fino mounted a three-wide charge to finish second in this company last week. I think he's capable of repeating that tactic. I believe the horse has a good chance of hitting the tote. He's second-time lasix. John Campbell retains the drive. #3 Blue Boy finished third in this companylast week. He certainly fits here. Most capable of being part of the dime super. Finally, #9 Blue Claw has finished third three times in his last four starts. He's a well-bred Jenna's Beach Boy gelding. Can complete gimmicks.

Race Four:

#5 Rockulese ships in from The Meadows where he won three straight. Yannick Gingras drives for John McDermott. The horse is shooting for four in row; I see no reason why he can't do it. #6 Bettors Glass finished third in this company last week. Three races back he closed in :26.1. On his best, this Bettor's Delight-bred gelding can be right there. Tim Tetrick drives. #1 Grams Legacy was interferred with in the Mortal Zin race last week. That compromised any chance he had. The horse now draws back inside; he has an excellent chance of hitting the tote. Finally, #9 Hillbilly Hanover does get the extreme outside post. However, he does have a chance of hitting the board. He was also interferred with in last week's Mortal Zin race and ended up finishing fifth. As a two-yea rold, he faced some of the best horses in the country. Could surprise.

Race Five:

I'm picking the red-hot #4 Oscar Oscar. In his last ten starts, the horse has been first six times and second once. Last week,he did finish second to the hard-charging Big Bam Ray. Yet, this horse has been the epitome of consistency. I see no reason why he can't be right there once again. Speaking of #7 Big Bam Ray, he did win last week's race. He was flying in the stretch like an express train. If he repeats last week's effort, he'll be tough to beat. Then, there #6 Melvyn. The horse had his hit-the-board streak snapped at Pocono last week. This horse is extremely fast; he can make amends. Certainly one of the horses to consider in your gimmicks. #2 McClelland is my longshot try in this race. I don't see him winning, but he might be able to complete your dime super. Corey Callahan retains the drive.

Race Six:

In the Arthur Cutler Memorial Trot, I like #9 Winning Mister with Tim Tetrick. The horse has won three in a row and four of his last five. He won the Cutler Prep last week in 1:51.3. One caveat, actually two: this is a trot and anything can happen. I'm much more apprehensive with trotters than I am with pacers. Secondly, the only time this horse broke in recent efforts was from the very same 9-hole at Woodbine. Now that we've looked at "the glass of water as half-empty, "the "glass of water that half-full" says this horse should win. Another horse in the mix is #2 Mister Herbie. He's the main threat to the top pick. The horse has been the model of consistency campaigning across the border at Woodbine. In his last he won The Glorys Comet final by a nose. Jody Jamieson flies in fromToronto to handle the lines for part-owner and trainer Jeff Gillis. #5 Big Rigs was second in the Cutler Prep. In his last five pari-mutuel races, this trotter has been either first or second. "Buckeye," Dave Miller, is in the bike for trainer Kelly O'Donnell. Finally, #1 Hot Shot Blue Chip was third in last week's Cutler Prep. He came home in a quick :28.1. "The Hall-Of-Famer," John Campbell, handles the reins.

Race Seven:

In the "King of The Sixes," I'm picking #2 Show Me Up with Dav eMiller. The horse finished second in impressive time at Yonkers last week. Any slight improvement on the "big oval" will put this horse in the winner's circle. The horse appears to have found a level at which he can win. #8 Artist's View dropped into what appeared to be a winning situation last week only to finish second. There is a chance to make amends, albeit from a little further out on the starting line. Still, this horse appears to be the class of the race. #1 Mysterious Moment is my longshot, improve-the-value-of-your-ten-cent-super pick. I think the horse will benefit from the pylons. He ships in from Yonkers where he finished fourth his his last effort. Another horse to consider is #3 Noble Falcon. The horse finally gets an improved starting post. That should enhance his chances of hitting the tote. Tim Tetrick drives for Kevin McDermott.

Race Eight:

#8 Freddy Day Hanover is clearly the class of the race. Do I hear a request for the lyrics of his favorite Aerosmith song, "Love In An Elevator"? The class-drop should be enough for this well-bred Artiscape-Jenna's Beach Boy gelding to prevail. Frankly, my only concern is that he's won just one race this year. If he's going to make it two, this would appear to be the ideal opportunity. #3Major Belle ships in from Yonkers where he finished fifth. Prior to that the horse finished second in 1:51 at Philadelphia (Chester). Yannick Gingras draws the driving assignment for trainer Ron Burke. #7 Townslight Hanover appears to be rounding into form; he finished second at Pocono in 1:51.4 in his last. "The Wildcat," Corey Callahan's, in the bike. Finally, #9 Giddy Up Delight willl ikely be mounting a charge from off the tailgate. Look for this Dave Miller-guided horse to mount a furious closing brush. This horse is certainly useable in your gimmicks.

Race Nine:

In the Graduate final, I like #1 Rockincam. He draws the pylons. He has the services of Dave Miller. He's won three in a row. His last win came in a blistering 1:48.1; last quarter :26.1. The horse should be sitting close to the front. The only concern is that Miller must be careful not to be trapped down inside. Tactics willplay a big part in this race. #4 Atochia won the Levy final at Yonkers. He's been razor sharp. Ron Pierce is in the sulky. How well the horse adjusts to the sweeping turns of "The Big M's" mile oval will say a lot about this horse's chances. #5 Foiled Again finished second in The Levy. He did it from the unenviable eight-hole. He went to the quarter in :26.1 in that one. Certainly a factor here. Should not be overlooked. #7 Golden Receiver has won eight of ten starts this year. He finished second from the same seven-hole in the Graduate prelims last week. The most capable Brian Sears is in the bike.

Race Ten:

#6 Keystone Raptor looks like he's rounding into shape. He's finished third and second in his last two efforts. Brian Sears retains the drive. The horse has the speed to win. #3 Colbalt Man finished fourth to Big Bam Ray last week. He does face the same competition this week. He appears to be the main threat to the top pick. Andy Miller drives for trainer Mark Capone. #9 Veal Marasala closed in his first 2012 pari-mutuel start. This horse has loads of back class. If reasonably ready, the horse can be a threat with these. Ron Pierce retains the drive. #7 Picture Me hasn't shown much lately. Yet, he might be able to put the finishing touches on your ten-cent super.

Race Eleven:

In this "King Of The Sixes," I like #2 Big League with TimTetrick. When last seen at The Meadowlands, the horse was competing in theJunior Trendsetter. He then shipped to Chester and Pocono Downs. In both those venues he had little success. Now, this 3-year-old FourStarzzz Shark-bred gelding returns to Bergen County. This might well serve as a wake-up call and a trip to the winner's circle. #4 Home Again Dragon looks like the main threat. Driver switch to BrianSears is big. Looks like he's rounding back into form. #3 Outa MyHead with Dave Miller finished third in his last at Yonkers. The horse has hit the board in nearly half of his 2012 starts. My longshot in this race is the #8 Alex Bullville. He broke stride in his last; however he can make amends this evening. The driver switch to Yannick Gingras is big.

Race Twelve:

#2 Success Rocks with Tim Tetrick is my top choice in the twelfth and final race. The horse was parked out at Pocono in his last. Tha tcompromised any chance the horse had of winning. He finished sixth. He now draws a better starting post. He also has the services of one ofThe Meadowlands' top drivers, Tim Tetrick. #4 Liberty Call with Corey Callahan has been struggling down at Chester. A change of scenery might do the trick. The horse is capable of hiting the tote. Another horse to consider is #7 Dog Gone Dragon with Steve Smith. The horse has been third twice in five starts in 2012. Might be part of your dime-super. Finally, #8 Thanks For Stoppin has a degree of back-class. Despite the outside post, this horse is capable of hitting the tote. Andy Miller drives for Ed Lohmeyer.