PDA

View Full Version : Trackmaster PP's and XP

wilderness
05-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Hang on to you're WinXP disk, it's going to get worse with Win8 coming out this Fall.

Overcall,
This inquiry (I should have known better) is off-topic for the harness forum.

My XP original disc only containd SP1.
I do have a Beta SP2 saved.

However and since XP began it's nearly impossible to store updates outside the MS Updates structure (as was previously possible in Win 95 & 98).
As a result, and when MS ends support for XP, any continued use of XP will be limited (at least for a new install) absent the benefits of updates after the original disc.

Are you aware of any location that offers external downloads of XP updates?

TIA.

DJofSD
05-12-2012, 09:55 AM
When MS withdraws support of XP does that mean all of the existing updates are no longer available?

wilderness
05-12-2012, 10:26 AM
When MS withdraws support of XP does that mean all of the existing updates are no longer available?

Likely so DJ.
They are only currently available via the MS Updates site and only after confirmation that your using a licensed version of XP.

Try finding old updates for 95 or 98?

The XP Updates may exist on somebody's FTP server somewhere.
I use to do a lot on FTP, however these days, I only use the software for my own websites.

I'm not sure if there's a method in XP to extract the installed-updates from current system your using or not?
The files would certainly be present (despite being hidden somewhere) on our hard drives.

Canarsie
05-12-2012, 01:07 PM

When it happens usually a kind soul will make a CD or DVD (depending on size) of all the files and post it in certain places. Its not something that MS usually goes after since they have dropped support.

Tom
05-12-2012, 04:55 PM
W8 sounds like a total nightmare.
This computer I have now is my last - when it goes, so do I.
I will not upgrade past XP....ever.

I feel like I am on borrowed time for computers. So it goes.

wilderness
05-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Tom,
My options keep getting narrower also.
I won't install SP3, and there are many, many software's which require SP3.

In fact, upon a reformat last year, I had to find an earlier version of Avira, because the current version required SP3. I still however get updates on the earlier version, go figure.

PaceAdvantage
05-13-2012, 01:15 AM
Windows 7 is the best operating system MS has ever produced. Why would anyone be dead-set against upgrading to Win7?

Canarsie
05-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Windows 7 is the best operating system MS has ever produced. Why would anyone be dead-set against upgrading to Win7?

As one who has all three operating systems running in the house I agree 100%. Vista is a disaster but my son is learning disabled and the switch would be hard for him. Running XP on a machine built in 2004 with no problems. The box being used to write this has Windows 7 and the only aggravation it gave me was recognizing the cable box using a TV card.

wilderness
05-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Guys FWIW, we weren't disagreeing with the efficiency of Win 7, rather the behind the scenes capabilities and functions that most users will never even be aware of.

For PA's benefit (i. e., paranoia).

GameTheory
05-13-2012, 12:40 PM
But nowadays you can run a virtual XP inside Windows 7 -- Windows 7 Pro come with an XP built-in (sort of, you have to download it, but its free). I run multiple XPs on a single machine simultaneously...

wilderness
05-13-2012, 02:21 PM
But nowadays you can run a virtual XP inside Windows 7

Game Theory,
Bit your still running Win 7 with a more vast "big brother" than earlier versions of MS's OS's.

GameTheory
05-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Game Theory,
Bit your still running Win 7 with a more vast "big brother" than earlier versions of MS's OS's.You can also run XP virtually on a Linux box if you like...

wilderness
05-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Many thanks Game Theory.

Nobody here was attempting to trash Win 7, rather was expressing their overall dissatisfaction with "big brother".

God knows what fall-out shelter we'll be hiding in when the Govt. implements the new Consumer Protection Division ;)

If I run XP virtual on a Linux, does it allow XP Hardware drivers and or XP software's?

Tom
05-13-2012, 04:40 PM

I use it at work, with Office 2010.
It sucks!

I have never seen a more unreliable system.
Maybe it is our network, but either Excel of explorer will just stop working at least twice a day and that stupid little donut just spins away. I have lost horse of work because Excel will stop and then try to recover my data and fail. I can't set my printer to "fast draft" because Excel will not print if I do. I have to manually set the printer every time I print - which is a lot. I cando my work faster with a calculator and pencil some days. :rolleyes:

cj
05-13-2012, 04:43 PM
It sucks!

Maybe it is our network, but either Excel of explorer will just stop working at least twice a day and that stupid little donut just spins away. I have lost horse of work because Excel will stop and then try to recover my data and fail. I can't set my printer to "fast draft" because Excel will not print if I do. I have to manually set the printer every time I print - which is a lot. I cando my work faster with a calculator and pencil some days. :rolleyes:

I can't speak for your network, but I don't think I've ever had that happen with either Office or Explorer on any of many computers. I'd give it a try at home.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2012, 01:39 AM
It sucks!

Maybe it is our network, but either Excel of explorer will just stop working at least twice a day and that stupid little donut just spins away. I have lost horse of work because Excel will stop and then try to recover my data and fail. I can't set my printer to "fast draft" because Excel will not print if I do. I have to manually set the printer every time I print - which is a lot. I cando my work faster with a calculator and pencil some days. :rolleyes:I haven't had a single issue since upgrading to Win7. In fact, I skipped XP altogether...I went from Windows 2000 pro to Vista to Win7...lol

But I did use XP at work (still do in fact, go figure) and it is a solid operating system. But for those worried about its impending obsolescence, I don't understand the hesitation.

wilderness alludes to this "big brother" thing (actually, he didn't allude...he downright proclaimed it)...I've got news for you...the NSA doesn't care a bit what operating system you're using... :lol:

mikesal57
05-14-2012, 11:10 AM
It sucks!

Tom..
I agree with PA...Win 7 is best one yet...finds all hardware and can use all ram if you get 64 bit..

For your Excel hanging....turn off auto save and it will stop your Excel from that crappy circle...I learn it the hard way ..I got so fed up of waiting I hit the shut down button..

That was a big NO NO :(

mike

wilderness
05-14-2012, 11:45 AM
wilderness alludes to this "big brother" thing (actually, he didn't allude...he downright proclaimed it)...I've got news for you...the NSA doesn't care a bit what operating system you're using... :lol:

FWIW, anybody whose interested in what software's contained on their computer offer the capability to send and receive data (without your knowledge and/or permission) simply needs to download and run "HijackThis".
The downside to "HijackThis" is that it takes an experienced HijackThis-person to analyze the output, whilst being aware of what modules you may remove without disabling the software of same modules.
After running "HijackThis", you'll find that it will include a line for every Adobe software on your computer, which is where this tread began and/or same topic. Adobe is the worst abuser next to MS.

FWIW, I could care less about the NSA, or any other government org (I'm sure the Homeland Security crawlers run rampant on this site, when they are easily stopped in their tracks).
My Consumer Protection Division comment was in jest, which you apparently failed to comprehend.

The term "big brother' was meant to imply paranoia and you chose to fixate on grammar. ;)

GameTheory
05-14-2012, 01:10 PM
If I run XP virtual on a Linux, does it allow XP Hardware drivers and or XP software's?Well, I don't know exactly what you mean. It runs on virtual hardware, which makes it easy to export your machine and run it on a different host as needed (because XP doesn't know it is running on virtual hardware).

If you use the MS Virtual Machine, then you're pretty much stuck with using Win 7 as a host and not moving your machines around. And you don't have good options for changing the virtual hardware or making snapshots, etc. However, you can make as many of them as you want and you don't need any licenses, etc.

To run on a Linux box, you'd use VirtualBox or VMWare, and you need a legitimate XP disc to start with as you install it and activate it just like on a real machine. But then you can take snapshots whenever you like, move it to other host hardware at will, etc.

If you are playing 3-D video games or doing audio stuff that requires super-fast direct access to graphics chips, etc, virtual is not a good choice (although it is getting there for that stuff too). And getting some USB devices to work on the virtual machine can be problematic sometimes.

Otherwise, in some ways it is more advantageous than running an OS directly (you can't take instant snapshots or easily move from your hardware a non-virtual machine).

wilderness
05-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Well, I don't know exactly what you mean

The primary use of my computer is archival and scanning of the old harness racing periodicals.
The "system balance" of the 10+ year old scanner that is use a required priority. The particular Canon scanner is a real work-horse, and new drivers are not available after 2004 updates.
I've had numerous problems (without a method or "rhyme" to solve them) even in XP. Many new additions of software's (even some XP updates) stop the scanner OCR software and driver from working as it should.
EX: I'm currently OCR-ing text in NotePad, because of some conflict that will not allow WordPad (my software of preference) to scan/OCR. The only solution in more than a decade that I've been able to find to resolve this conflict is a complete reformat and careful addition of all other software's.

So bottom line is, with Linux and a Virtual XP will my scanner and software run the same way that is currently does (or at least is supposed to) in XP?

FWIW, I'm not a gamer and don't run any 3-D, however Photoshop (which I use for two specific tools) is quite CPU and memory intensive, and is also a requirement.

Many thanks.

GameTheory
05-14-2012, 06:41 PM
The primary use of my computer is archival and scanning of the old harness racing periodicals.
The "system balance" of the 10+ year old scanner that is use a required priority. The particular Canon scanner is a real work-horse, and new drivers are not available after 2004 updates.
I've had numerous problems (without a method or "rhyme" to solve them) even in XP. Many new additions of software's (even some XP updates) stop the scanner OCR software and driver from working as it should.
EX: I'm currently OCR-ing text in NotePad, because of some conflict that will not allow WordPad (my software of preference) to scan/OCR. The only solution in more than a decade that I've been able to find to resolve this conflict is a complete reformat and careful addition of all other software's.

So bottom line is, with Linux and a Virtual XP will my scanner and software run the same way that is currently does (or at least is supposed to) in XP?

FWIW, I'm not a gamer and don't run any 3-D, however Photoshop (which I use for two specific tools) is quite CPU and memory intensive, and is also a requirement.

Many thanks.Yeah, you may or may not be able to get it to work. Most scanners will run with the stock twain Windows XP drivers even if they have their own drivers -- it is supposed to be a standard protocol. But yes, you can install the Canon drivers as well -- the trick is more getting it to recognize the device on the port and passing it through the host hardware to the virtual machine. Some devices don't play nice. Is it a USB device or an old serial or parallel port or what? I know some people have used XP on VirtualBox to do precisely that -- run a scanner or other device that doesn't have Windows 7 drivers. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Running Linux is also a possibility for some if there are drivers available.

wilderness
05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Some devices don't play nice. Is it a USB device or an old serial or parallel port or what?

USB.

GameTheory
05-14-2012, 09:34 PM
USB.Well, it is *supposed* to work...

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2012, 01:40 AM
FWIW, anybody whose interested in what software's contained on their computer offer the capability to send and receive data (without your knowledge and/or permission) simply needs to download and run "HijackThis".
The downside to "HijackThis" is that it takes an experienced HijackThis-person to analyze the output, whilst being aware of what modules you may remove without disabling the software of same modules.
After running "HijackThis", you'll find that it will include a line for every Adobe software on your computer, which is where this tread began and/or same topic. Adobe is the worst abuser next to MS.

FWIW, I could care less about the NSA, or any other government org (I'm sure the Homeland Security crawlers run rampant on this site, when they are easily stopped in their tracks).
My Consumer Protection Division comment was in jest, which you apparently failed to comprehend.

The term "big brother' was meant to imply paranoia and you chose to fixate on grammar. ;)I've used HiJackThis in the past.

And as for certain entities "running rampant" on this site, whatever man.

Maybe I should lock the door on this site and not let anyone in before they email me personally? :lol:

I'll leave you with this. When was the last time you saw a piece of spam posted on this message board? Spam link. Malicious link...etc. etc.?

I can't recall the last time I saw anything like that posted here. I run a tight enough ship as it is, but thanks for your concern.

wilderness
05-15-2012, 08:46 AM
I'll leave you with this. When was the last time you saw a piece of spam posted on this message board? Spam link. Malicious link...etc. etc.?

I can't recall the last time I saw anything like that posted here. I run a tight enough ship as it is, but thanks for your concern.

Over many years the exceptions have been rare.

You are to be commended for that superb effort.