PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Winner has troubled record

Grits
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/sports/trainer-of-kentucky-derby-winner-has-a-troubled-record.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=todayspaper

In 2010, O’Neill’s handling of a horse named Burna Dette was called into question by the California Horse Racing Board after he entered the filly in a bottom-level race at Los Alamitos racetrack. She broke down and had to be euthanized. In the span of two months, O’Neill had bought Burna Dette for $25,000, raced her at Del Mar, where she was well beaten, but then went ahead and two weeks later ran her in a race where she could have been bought for $2,000.

The investigation centered on whether O’Neill knew the horse was hurt and was trying to get rid of it. The board eventually determined it had “insufficient evidence to pursue any action” against O’Neill or his owners.

“It was a horrific event and hearing her name still brings chills to me,” O’Neill said. “I was trying to get her a win and work her back up the ladder.”

O’Neill, in his interview this week with The Times, said he would prefer to be speaking about the prospects of I’ll Have Another’s winning the 137th Preakness Stakes and perhaps then heading to New York for the Belmont Stakes (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/b/belmont_stakes/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) and an opportunity to become the 12th horse to sweep the Triple Crown (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/t/triple_crown_horse_racing/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) and the first since Affirmed in 1978. But he said he also understood how, with his win in the Derby, his disciplinary record had fed the debate for a sport at a crossroads. O’Neill said he was trying to own up to his mistakes while fighting the allegations that he said were not true.

In the past, he said, he had succumbed to the pressure of racetrack officials who, eager to have full fields in their races, persuaded him to run horses that might have needed more rest. On Wednesday, however, he said, by way of example, he turned down the requests of officials at his home track of Hollywood Park to enter more than half a dozen horses for this Saturday’s races.

“In the past, I may have led a few over there that I knew didn’t have a chance to win to help them fill the race and me to maintain my stalls,” he said. “Last few years, I’ve been taking the approach of running less often. My horses are well taken care of, and I love them. And I love this sport.”

PaceAdvantage
05-11-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm glad O'Neill brought up the point of racing office pressure to fill races. This is something that hardly ever gets discussed, but goes on every single day across the country...trainers either help fill races with horses that might not be ready to run, or risk losing stall space as a punishment for not helping out.

cj
05-11-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm glad O'Neill brought up the point of racing office pressure to fill races. This is something that hardly ever gets discussed, but goes on every single day across the country...trainers either help fill races with horses that might not be ready to run, or risk losing stall space as a punishment for not helping out.

That is great, but I doubt anybody with an ounce of sense buys this:

“It was a horrific event and hearing her name still brings chills to me,” O’Neill said. “I was trying to get her a win and work her back up the ladder.”

That was one ugly event.

blind squirrel
05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/sports/trainer-of-kentucky-derby-winner-has-a-troubled-record.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=todayspaper

I heard a piece on horse racing on NPR'S "Fresh Air" {of all places},and the guy
from the New York Times slammed O'neill for "Milk Shaking".....those of us who
follow racing knew that he'd had some "problems"...Remember Rick Dutrow and
Big Brown?...the sharks will be in the water for Horse Racing this week.

Grits
05-11-2012, 12:32 PM
The NYTs guy being interviewed was the series writer, Joe Drape.

blind squirrel
05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
The NYTs guy being interviewed was the series writer, Joe Drape.
thanks,yeah that was Joe Drape....He says he "Loves" Racing...it was kind of hard to tell by this piece.

nijinski
05-11-2012, 02:06 PM
O'Neill took alot of heat for the Burna Dette loss. It's almost unforgiving when connections do this . But I think he has really stepped up and tried to
turn some things around.
It is no differnt the the antics of another Cali trainer who is now in the Hall
Of Fame , who did this to a filly who was in horriffic condition at a huge drop too.

There is a photographer I email from time to time who has witnessed O'Neill's charitable side. He has been visibly generous with the rescues as wellas many charities .Most are welcome to his barn and he's more than happy to let folks come visit with Lava Man.
Maybe for self redemption , change and move forward Hope I'm not wrong.
But I'll take my chances and say he has conscience.
He knows darn well Lava Man paid his way and LM is not going to end up on a feed lot.
I'm following Bafferts horse now . Has the same potential to end up Los Al
but hopefully won't.or maybe he's fine , but doubt it.

JPinMaryland
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
I didnt read the article and maybe I should but these sort of criticisms would be better off based on a series of data pts rather than one horse. I dont really study trainers enuf to make any comments on ONeill and his record perhaps the article has more examples.

Ocala Mike
05-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I heard the Joe Drape interview on NPR the other morning also. This guy loves horse racing the way Captain Ahab loved whales; it was one harpoon after another.

cj
05-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I heard the Joe Drape interview on NPR the other morning also. This guy loves horse racing the way Captain Ahab loved whales; it was one harpoon after another.
Maybe that is what racing needs.

Robert Goren
05-12-2012, 05:52 AM
The sharks are always in the water for horse racing. There a lot people out there who do not like horse racing for a lot of different reasons. Everything that horse racing does is under a microscope. I am not saying that is the way it should be, but am saying thats way it is. It is up to horse racing to keep the sharks at bay. Right now the industry is doing a terrible job at that.