PDA

View Full Version : The Cult Of The Noble Loser

Grits
05-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Jay Hovdey discusses those who've finished by a whisker, those by a nose, and those by open lengths. The noble losers, including Bodemeister.

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-kentucky-derby-failure-no-success-all

sammy the sage
05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Who'll be favored in the Preakness...yet lose again...as MOST often did...w/few exceptions...Curlin one of the few...who DID indeed....live up to the billing...Noble Derby loser...

JPinMaryland
05-11-2012, 05:07 PM
well I for one of tired of these articles as well as posts that allude to the same thing. I have no problem criticizing BOdie and how they ran him, but what I object to is brain-dead articles and such that fail to address one important thing: Pace and its effect on races.

Either everything ANdrew Beyer and the numerous experts who have studied and written about pace are completely wrong and have been for 30+ years or Bodiemeister ran a great race. I dont see how these two concepts can mutually co exist.

This is not to say I am a Beyer fan, but just the general notion of pace handicapping which has been around for a long time.

DO any of these people who dont seem to understand what Bodie did have any comments on pace and its relation to horseracing?

setup
05-11-2012, 08:49 PM
articles where the author clearly recognizes that Congaree ran significantly better (and faster for those that need it) than Bodemeister don't strike me as being 'brain-dead'. it puts the situation nicely in perspective.

JPinMaryland
05-11-2012, 10:11 PM
then do those same articles compare Congaree to IHA; Isnt that the true test? or do they simply say IHA won; that's all that matters? Or do they ignore the whole issue?

depalma113
05-12-2012, 12:09 AM
articles where the author clearly recognizes that Congaree ran significantly better (and faster for those that need it) than Bodemeister don't strike me as being 'brain-dead'. it puts the situation nicely in perspective.

Congaree did not run significantly better.

2001 Derby Day

Track record was set on the first race of the day

Alanaan set a track record. Bonapaw eclipsed the old track record finishing second. Exchange Rate eclipsed the old track record finishing third.

City Street and Open Story dead heated for a new track record. Storm Witch eclipsed the old track record finishing third.

Dream Supreme won a race that would have been a track record had Alanaan not set it earlier in the day. La Feminn eclipsed the old track record finishing second.

NINE horses ran faster for their distances than any other horses had ever run at Churchill before that day.

Congaree's time may have been faster at the mile pole and beyond, but he had a much faster track to accomplish his effort on.

depalma113
05-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Love at Noon was the horse that set the track record in the first race.

Also, Lake Pontchartrain won a six furlong sprint in 1:08.35.

setup
05-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Congaree did not run significantly better.

In terms of the setup, Congaree CRUSHED B. B doesn't SNIFF an in the money finish in a minimal move race let alone a multi-move one. All of a sudden B is the 2nd coming of Dr Fager. It's yet to be determined whether he has any fight in him once hooked. I tend to doubt it, however. He didn't offer anything when they came to him late in the Derby. Imagine what happens if he has to deal with multiple moves.

Sysonby
05-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Actually, if you watch closely, even running on rubber legs there's a second there where Bode tries to go with IHA. I don't know whether he's the second coming of anything or just a very nice horse, but he's improved every single race and I'm happy just waiting to see what he develops into.

Maximillion
05-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I thought it was a thoughtful and well written article. Imho a lot better than
Beyers take on the Derby.

depalma113
05-13-2012, 06:38 AM
In terms of the setup, Congaree CRUSHED B. B doesn't SNIFF an in the money finish in a minimal move race let alone a multi-move one. All of a sudden B is the 2nd coming of Dr Fager. It's yet to be determined whether he has any fight in him once hooked. I tend to doubt it, however. He didn't offer anything when they came to him late in the Derby. Imagine what happens if he has to deal with multiple moves.

I don't think you realize just how fast that track was in 2001.