PDA

View Full Version : Another Screw Up by NYRA

aaron
05-11-2012, 09:04 AM
After the 1st leg of the Pick 6 was run,a scratch was announced in the 6th race. Imagining was scratched.
Horses aren't allowed to scratch after the races have started. The exception being a Stakes Race or if the horse gets hurt.
I guess being owned by Ogden Phipps is the exception to the rule.
You can't blame this on Charlie Haywood.

Robert Goren
05-11-2012, 09:17 AM
link to story.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/day-races-11-article-1.1076184?localLinksEnabled=false

It appears that left hand doesn't know what the right is doing these days. Pretty sad.

Jasonm921
05-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Another bullet point in Cuomo's case against NYRA.

Robert Goren
05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Another bullet point in Cuomo's case against NYRA.As if he needed another one.

cj
05-11-2012, 01:36 PM
If this scratch was permitted by the stewards, how is NYRA to blame? I think one of the three is a NYRA employee.

Tom
05-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Never let facts get in the way.:rolleyes:

As far as the "informed source" goes, this is unacceptable:

After that the story gets fuzzy on why there was a delay before the horse actually was scratched and on who allowed the scratch to occur.

Hey Jerry, DUH!!!
You are the one who is supposed to be a reporter. YOU are supposed to get the facts, not just pass it over as "it got fuzzy."

Are you a reporter or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Reporting is done on your feet, not your arse.

Robert Goren
05-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Never let facts get in the way.:rolleyes:

As far as the "informed source" goes, this is unacceptable:

Hey Jerry, DUH!!!
You are the one who is supposed to be a reporter. YOU are supposed to get the facts, not just pass it over as "it got fuzzy."

Are you a reporter or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Reporting is done on your feet, not your arse.How many times are you going to blame the press and give NYRA a pass. He was merely reporting what NYRA was saying. It is not the reporter's job to figure out which employee screwed. That is job of the bosses at NYRA. Right now, there doesn't seem to be anybody in charge at NYRA or they would have been able to the reporter an answer on the record. Processing scratches is not rocket science. Time will tell if we ever get a straight answer from NYRA.

Tom
05-11-2012, 03:54 PM
So a reporter's job isn't to get to the truth, but just to pass on what he hers?
I call that gossip, not news.

You missed CJ's post?
Two of the stewards do not work for NYRA.

And you have no idea what happened, but you automatically jump on the bash NYRA bandwagon.

cj
05-11-2012, 04:01 PM
How many times are you going to blame the press and give NYRA a pass. He was merely reporting what NYRA was saying. It is not the reporter's job to figure out which employee screwed. That is job of the bosses at NYRA. Right now, there doesn't seem to be anybody in charge at NYRA or they would have been able to the reporter an answer on the record. Processing scratches is not rocket science. Time will tell if we ever get a straight answer from NYRA.

How do we know he even asked? The article is a complete hack job. He quotes "the rule" is if it is a certainty. Do you know for a fact it is? Does the reporter?

There is definitely some blame to go around here, I just don't think it should automatically fall on NYRA. Only the stewards could allow a scratch at that time I would think. They screwed the bettors in favor of Shug, and that is a shame.

NTamm1215
05-11-2012, 04:05 PM
How do we know he even asked? The article is a complete hack job. He quotes "the rule" is if it is a certainty. Do you know for a fact it is? Does the reporter?

There is definitely some blame to go around here, I just don't think it should automatically fall on NYRA. Only the stewards could allow a scratch at that time I would think. They screwed the bettors in favor of Shug, and that is a shame.

I agree with you. And also consider the source...

jeebus1083
05-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Jerry Bossert has had a hardon for NYRA for years. This is nothing new. Surprised that he is still allowed in the press box at the NYRA tracks after all these years.

aaron
05-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Just a question. When mistakes are made at NYRA tracks,who is responsible for the mistake ? I can see both sides of the coin.
The last three mistakes I remember:
1- Bettors being taken advantage of on the pick 6,when races were declared off the grass.
2-Incorrect takeout on wagers.
3-Scratching a horse after pick 6 sequence has started.
Somebody has to take responsibility when something goes wrong,but I have no idea who should be the voice of the organization.
One thing seems common to all these errors,it is always the bettor who is on the wrong side.

Robert Goren
05-11-2012, 07:55 PM
There are plenty of other links reporting the same story by different reporters. Apparently every newspaper in the world is bias against NYRA according its defenders.

johnhannibalsmith
05-11-2012, 09:14 PM
There are plenty of other links reporting the same story by different reporters. Apparently every newspaper in the world is bias against NYRA according its defenders.

The big problem is that people use the acronym NYRA to describe "New York Racing" in general if it involves Saratoga, Belmont, or Aqueduct. CJ, Nick and whoever else is pointing out an obvious distinction here - NYRA, the New York Racing Association, isn't scratching horses - the stewards are. Presumably, only one of those is an association steward and the other two are state stewards. You are acting like Charles Hayward (pre-permavacation) would have been chastised for a questionable DQ for interference in the seventh on a Sunday.

johnhannibalsmith
05-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Jerry Bossert has had a hardon for NYRA for years. ...

This one was his "Best Bet" of the day also that day, which I'm guessing means he got screwed and decided to rant about it.

rastajenk
05-11-2012, 09:36 PM
According to the Stewards' Corner, one is a NYRA appointee, one is a state appointee, and one is appointed by The Jockey Club....for what it's worth.

johnhannibalsmith
05-11-2012, 09:49 PM
This one was his "Best Bet" of the day also that day, which I'm guessing means he got screwed and decided to rant about it.

Sorry, his best bet was Sacred Success (who won by a half dozen at about 2-5) that day. I was thinking of someone other than Bossert. Me culpa retraction for being wrong in every way in this post.

Tom
05-11-2012, 11:23 PM

If your hardon for NYRA ever goes away, maybe you would look at facts.
Did any of these steller racing writers quote the REAL rule? Did any of them get off their butts and go INVESTIGATE what happened?

How about this.....Shug had all frigging morning to scratch, and I don't care if he is a hall of fame trainer - he is a screw-up here. He should have scratched LONG before he did. Did the track suddenly change in the two hours before he got of hi ass and made up hid mind? You want to blame someone, blame Shug - HE screwed up and he cost players a lot of money. He should be fined and suspended and the horse should be made ineligible for 60 days. Rules are rules.

And what do think the horse's chances were of wining anyway? If Shug thought he would handle the track, doyou think he would have scratched him?

Robert Goren
05-12-2012, 05:39 AM
If your hardon for NYRA ever goes away, maybe you would look at facts.
Did any of these steller racing writers quote the REAL rule? Did any of them get off their butts and go INVESTIGATE what happened?

How about this.....Shug had all frigging morning to scratch, and I don't care if he is a hall of fame trainer - he is a screw-up here. He should have scratched LONG before he did. Did the track suddenly change in the two hours before he got of hi ass and made up hid mind? You want to blame someone, blame Shug - HE screwed up and he cost players a lot of money. He should be fined and suspended and the horse should be made ineligible for 60 days. Rules are rules.

And what do think the horse's chances were of wining anyway? If Shug thought he would handle the track, doyou think he would have scratched him?Shug is not blameless in this diabacle, but if the horse would have been scratched eariler no harm, no foul. It is not yet clear from what I have read that he did not try to scratch the horse before deadline and they screw around with the requested. If this was the only screw up that happened NYRA in the past couple of years, I could be a little more forgiving. It seems since they found out that they are going to get slot money it has been one thing after another. Just because you have a "hard on" for Cuomo and is investgating the place, that does mean that they have done no wrong. Generally when a place is being investigated they do not act like the Keystone Cops. Lets hope NYRA gets its act together for the good of the industry soon.

OTM Al
05-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I'd like to see the rule mentioned. Can't find it myself. Bossert's always been a crank by the way.

Tom
05-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Lets hope NYRA gets its act together for the good of the industry soon.

Yeah, why no one bets NYRA anymore, it is so bad.
The simulcast handles of River Downs dwarfs that bet on NYRA tracks these days. :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
05-12-2012, 07:09 PM
NYRA runs a race tracks in the most populated area in the country. They should have the largest handle. Just think what the handle would be if there was somebody running it who had a clue. I am a liberal, but even I think a quasi government non profit management of race tracks is a bad idea for racing.

aaron
05-12-2012, 07:30 PM
NYRA runs a race tracks in the most populated area in the country. They should have the largest handle. Just think what the handle would be if there was somebody running it who had a clue. I am a liberal, but even I think a quasi government non profit management of race tracks is a bad idea for racing.
Sometimes you get the impression the government in NY is already running NYRA. Whoever is in charge of running NYRA is in an impossible position. They have no power. They really can't do the right thing,because of the political machine that controls NY racing. They get paid big salaries,but aren't able to earn their keep,because the system is broken. When NYRA was first established there was no competition for the gambling dollar. Today, they seem to be running the organization,the same as then.
The last example of Phipps scratching his horse is bad for racing whether a rule is in place or not. It shows if you are part of the inner circle you can do what you want with no consequence.

Tom
05-12-2012, 07:46 PM

I'm talking about NYRA simulcast handle OUTSIDE NY. :rolleyes:

5k-claim
05-12-2012, 08:31 PM
You cannot make a rule that forces a trainer to saddle his horse for a race. That is ridiculous. What is the track going to do if the trainer says something isn't right with the horse, or the track, or just doesn't want to run... is the track going to walk over and collect the horse out of its stall and then saddle the horse itself for the race? Good luck with the PR if something goes wrong there during the running.

So, being mad at the NYRA for not forcing a horse to run in a race is just kind of stupid, really.

I guess who you could be mad at is the trainer for the late scratch after the bet was already underway. And you could also be mad (if you really, really wanted to be mad about something) at the NYRA if there are ultimately no penalties for the late scratch whatsoever against the connections. An obvious fair penalty is not being allowed to enter again (recognized by other jurisdictions as well) for a period of time. Also, maybe a fine... but probably not.

Other than that... I guess I don't understand. (But that doesn't keep me from being aware that this is now officially Reason No. 5,678 why racing is going down the tubes, and not nearly as good as it used to be back when it was run in black-and-white, and is being conducted by incompetent morons on behalf of brazen crooks, and yada yada yada.)

thaskalos
05-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Problems of this sort are not confined to NY; they have occurred at other places as well...and they illustrate the main reason why the horseplayers have the animosity that they do for those that are currently running this game.

The racing officials have to be made to understand that these types of wagers attract large investments by some of the bettors...and these players don't enjoy getting swindled in this manner.

Whether it's a late scratch like this, or a turf race being transfered to the main track because of rain resulting in other late scratches...another method needs to be implemented than burdening the bettor with a horse he never asked for.

This is REAL money we are betting here...not monopoly money.

5k-claim
05-13-2012, 07:26 AM
The racing officials have to be made to understand that these types of wagers attract large investments by some of the bettors...and these players don't enjoy getting swindled in this manner.

Whether it's a late scratch like this, or a turf race being transfered to the main track because of rain resulting in other late scratches...another method needs to be implemented than burdening the bettor with a horse he never asked for."Swindled" seems a bit melodramatic, but I can understand the disappointment in relying on a horse that you never asked for.

So, what do you want the procedure to be?

Tom
05-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Thask, I am 100% convinced that racing has no clue what a customer is.
Insiders taking care of insiders......bottom line.

All WE count for is putting up the money for them.

Whoever made the call the other day is a big part of the problem.
Shug should be fined and suspended, or the public given a reasonable explanation.

forced89
05-13-2012, 11:47 AM
He should be fined and suspended and the horse should be made ineligible for 60 days. Rules are rules.

I like the idea of 60 days for the horse. If there was something wrong with the horse, he can probably use the 60 days off anyway. If nothing was wrong with the horse, let the trainer explain the 60 days of expenses and no income to the owner.

startngate
05-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Not quite sure what the issue is. In reading the NY P6 rules, they certainly anticipated that horses would be scratched after the P6 started.

(g) Scratched horses and nonstarters.

At any time after wagering begins on the pick-six pool, should an entire betting entry or field be scratched or declared a nonstarter in any pick-six race, no further tickets selecting such betting entry or field shall be issued, and wagers upon such betting entry or field, for purposes of the pick-six pool, shall be deemed wagers upon the betting entry or field (designated horse) upon which the most wagering money has been registered at the track in the win pool at the close of win pool betting for such race.

I also can't seem to find any reference in the rules that would prevent a scratch in this situation (nor have I seen it anywhere else), and can state from many years' experience working in the racing office at more tracks than I can count, that trainers are pretty much given blanket approval to scratch when there is a surface change. Interesting that the reporter didn't bother quoting the rule.

I admit to just skimming the NYSRB website and not seeing it, but even if it does exist, no one can force someone to run. The Stewards can try to 'stick' a horse, but can't force the trainer to come to the paddock. Even if there is an actual rule determining when scratches can occur, you can't force someone to run. You can only fine them if they don't and have violated a rule in doing so.

Certainly it would have been preferable for the trainer to have scratched before the P6 started. If he did, and it wasn't communicated by NYRA in a reasonable time, then they do have a problem.

The two ironic parts of all of this is that the reporter probably doesn't write anything if the favorite would have won the race, and that NYRA is one of the few tracks that pays consolations on P3 when there are late scratches, and declares 'all winners' in P4 bets when there are late surface changes. They are actually quite proactive in this area.

Tom
05-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Thousands of people bet tens of thousands of dollars.
One guy is too damn lazy to make his scratches on time and he gets the nod.

cj
05-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Thousands of people bet tens of thousands of dollars.
One guy is too damn lazy to make his scratches on time and he gets the nod.

I agree, somebody should have to answer for this. Barring injury or illness or a surface change, there is no way a horse should be allowed to scratch that late in the day. The lame ass excuse of the track didn't have enough moisture in it is as bad as I've heard.

I defended NYRA because it is used as an acronym for everything related to New York racing when in fact they don't control everything. However, somebody needs to speak up. Somewhere, the customers were treated like second class citizens by somebody. Merely passing the buck from party to party while claiming not to be at fault isn't good enough. The stewards must report to somebody.

aaron
05-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I agree, somebody should have to answer for this. Barring injury or illness or a surface change, there is no way a horse should be allowed to scratch that late in the day. The lame ass excuse of the track didn't have enough moisture in it is as bad as I've heard.

I defended NYRA because it is used as an acronym for everything related to New York racing when in fact they don't control everything. However, somebody needs to speak up. Somewhere, the customers were treated like second class citizens by somebody. Merely passing the buck from party to party while claiming not to be at fault isn't good enough. The stewards must report to somebody.
I agree with your post. When criticizing I tend to say NYRA. In essence,I should probably just NY racing. I really can't separate the government and the people actually running the track. At times it seems they are one and the same.
I know customers who have been speaking up for years and nothing has changed for the better. New York Racing has worn down its customer base.
You get a day like Saturday at Belmont,full fields,beautiful weather, and some young people in the backyard,and all of sudden racing seems to be perfect again. Unfortunately,these days don't come as often as they should.

Robert Goren
05-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Exactly what does NYRA do? Whenever there is a screw up, it is never NYRA fault. I am beginning to think they don't do anything.

the little guy
05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
I know customers who have been speaking up for years and nothing has changed for the better.

What is your definition of nothing?

johnhannibalsmith
05-14-2012, 12:25 AM
... I am beginning to think they don't do anything.

You fluctuate from thinking that they do everything to beginning to think they do nothing. I'm beginning to understand why these things get so confusing.

Robert Goren
05-14-2012, 05:23 AM
You fluctuate from thinking that they do everything to beginning to think they do nothing. I'm beginning to understand why these things get so confusing. I thought they actual ran the race tracks, but after listen to claim after claim that they are not responsible for things that are normally done by race track operators, I am beginning wonder what they actually do.

aaron
05-14-2012, 09:30 AM
What is your definition of nothing?
1-Betting machines that are now at the facilities are inferior to the ones previously on site. I know bettors who told them this during the testing stage,but nothing changed.
2-The maintenance of both facilities are not kept up. Example- Broken seats outside on third floor grandstand from last year are still broken this year.
3-Cost of grandstand admission has gone up from $2.00 t0 $3.00. General Parking is now free,so they gave with one hand and took away with the other.
4-Cost of simulcast program is $2.50 up from $1.50.
5-Free admission to NYRA One customers with a $1000.00 balance in their account was taken away by the state.
6-When showing races on TV and there is a run away winner,they do not show the battle for 2nd. This has been brought up many times.
7-In the grandstand at Belmont,there are not enough betting machines and very few live tellers. You have to stand on line waiting for a machine.
8-Just my opinion,but it seems most of the live tellers are not as good as they used to be.
9-On weekdays with 2000 people there,there is no reason to charge for preferred parking. You are probably paying more in salaries than you are taking in.
10-Customers who are there every day for years, are never given anything extra. I don't know what you should do for them,but I know players who are there everyday,but are not huge bettors and they have never been catered to in any way.Not even a thank you or nice seeing you.
11-Aqueduct on the racing side has not been improved. There is really no good place to watch the races outside with binoculars. Imagine,a racetrack where you can't watch live racing.
12-The best place to watch racing at Aqueduct is in the outside part of the casino,but no betting windows are nearby{not New York Racing's fault},but still frustrating.

the little guy
05-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Aaron, you have listed your complaints, which is fine, but you said " nothing " and your response was not an answer but a list of complaints. NYRA has NOT done nothing. There have been substantial improvements in a number of areas, as you WELL know, and thus NOTHING was a poor choice of words. THAT was my point.

Are you a NYRA Rewards member? If not, I'm not sure how you can blame NYRA for not being able to track you as a customer. If a customer is playing through NYRA Rewards, they certainly do not get " nothing " from NYRA.

As for broken seats in the Grandstand, I'm not excusing it, and if you come to our office, and show us where, it would be appreciated. However, given that, as you have pointed out, there are sparse crowds there daily, especially in relation to the size of the place, how high on a list of priorities do you think this should be?

Aaron, you are an extremely nice person, and I look forward to seeing you at the track. You're also a smart guy. It's a tough balancing act sometimes, in life as well, between minutia and the bigger picture. Certainly you can understand that.

aaron
05-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Aaron, you have listed your complaints, which is fine, but you said " nothing " and your response was not an answer but a list of complaints. NYRA has NOT done nothing. There have been substantial improvements in a number of areas, as you WELL know, and thus NOTHING was a poor choice of words. THAT was my point.

Are you a NYRA Rewards member? If not, I'm not sure how you can blame NYRA for not being able to track you as a customer. If a customer is playing through NYRA Rewards, they certainly do not get " nothing " from NYRA.

As for broken seats in the Grandstand, I'm not excusing it, and if you come to our office, and show us where, it would be appreciated. However, given that, as you have pointed out, there are sparse crowds there daily, especially in relation to the size of the place, how high on a list of priorities do you think this should be?

Andy,
Perhaps NOTHING was a poor choice of words. I am being honest,I really don't know what the substantial improvements are. Please elaborate.
I am a NYRA Rewards member,but I was not talking about tracking award members. On the contrary,I was talking about all the customers who are there every day and get no recognition. These are small players who on a daily basis probably make up more than half your attendance scattered around the track.
Personally,I don't really need anything. I'm happy when the races are run and that is the one thing NYRA does do.
To be honest from a customers standpoint,as far as attending the races,I don't see any improvement from 10-15 years ago. I see the Belmont Grandstand cut in half { I understand the thinking behind this} so that you no longer can watch races from down the stretch. Aqueduct is basically a simulcast track.
I do think the NYRA show is fine and I was a big Harvey Pack fan,so that is a a compliment and a plus to NY racing. I think having Maggie on the show is a plus.
The 3rd floor cafeteria is better than it has been in years. That's another plus.
I have a Clubhouse Season Pass,but on cold days at Belmont,which we had at the beginning of the meet,don't you think it would have been nice to let everyone in the clubhouse ? I guess,its little things like that,I find annoying. Its like nobody is thinking about what would be good customer service.

johnhannibalsmith
05-14-2012, 11:06 AM
I thought they actual ran the race tracks, but after listen to claim after claim that they are not responsible for things that are normally done by race track operators, I am beginning wonder what they actually do.

Like this case? Other track operators routinely scratch or stick horses? I've been plenty critical of NYRA in the past where their actual operations of the facilities and the programs have warranted criticism. I'm not really entirely sure what to make of the Hayward fiasco, mainly because of the smoking gun - the email. When I read it originally I had the same reaction that another poster had here - that being the editorial liberties taken in using bold emphasis to correlate the reply to one particular sentence in the email.

I'm very skeptical, but I'm skeptical enough of both sides on that particular issue for different reasons that I'm uncomfortable being too opinionated one way or the other. Yeah, I agree that it looks really bad, but I also think that "look" has been gussied up like a cheap hooker and that makes me pause a bit.

But here - I'm just not sure where you point to NYRA to make your point. Maybe they handle scratches differently in New York, but anyplace I've raced at - ultimately it's a steward that signs you "out". As someone else mentioned, most surface change scratches are allowable without penalty or requiring a reason.

I'll accept the premise that there is a house rule about scratching for these reasons prior to some point in the program, but I'm still inclined to believe that when the phone call was made, it was the stewards that called tote and took the horse out. Now, if somehow there was a delay in transmitting that information somewhere, then I can see it falling on NYRA - but with what has been presented here - I'm not seeing anything but a late scratch that was made by the stewards on behalf of Shug. Maybe there is much more to it, but I'm not sure why you would pick this example to go on the offensive about how NYRA should have "done something", especially since you offer no resolution that supports your premise that NYRA could have or should have done something. What should they have done?

classhandicapper
05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
I have to say one positive thing about Belmont. When I was there on Saturday it reminded me of a scene from Field of Dreams. I could have sworn I was either in heaven or Iowa. :ThmbUp:

Grits
05-14-2012, 11:37 AM
2-The maintenance of both facilities are not kept up. Example- Broken seats outside on third floor grandstand from last year are still broken this year.

Aaron, how many seats do you have to choose from on either floor of the grandstand at Belmont on any given afternoon, aside from B.Stakes Day?

The fact that you're continuing to go back to the same broken seats indicates a good deal. There are individuals who have difficulty seeing positives over negatives--try as they may. They're too busy sweating small stuff. REAL SMALL.

How much did you pay to go to your last major sporting event in New York (or anywhere else)--baseball, basketball, football, hockey, tennis, etc? How much did you pay for food and beverage at either? And who, greeted you at the gate to thank you for coming, telling you how glad they were to see you?

I view all of this in pretty simple fashion. We, ourselves, CHOOSE our own forms of entertainment, whether it be sports, the arts, fine dining, or travel. It costs to support EACH. It costs to put on the show. I understand and accept this. Some patrons don't see things this way. They concentrate, instead, on what they are not getting for their entertainment dollars. I don't.

aaron
05-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Aaron, how many seats do you have to choose from on either floor of the grandstand at Belmont on any given afternoon, aside from B.Stakes Day?

The fact that you're continuing to go back to the same broken seats indicates a good deal. There are individuals who have difficulty seeing positives over negatives--try as they may. They're too busy sweating small stuff. REAL SMALL.

How much did you pay to go to your last major sporting event in New York (or anywhere else)--baseball, basketball, football, hockey, tennis, etc? How much did you pay for food and beverage at either? And who, greeted you at the gate to thank you for coming, telling you how glad they were to see you?

I view all of this in pretty simple fashion. We, ourselves, CHOOSE our own forms of entertainment, whether it be sports, the arts, fine dining, or travel. It costs to support EACH. It costs to put on the show. I understand and accept this. Some patrons don't see things this way. They concentrate, instead, on what they are not getting for their entertainment dollars. I don't.
You are probably right. Its not that many seats.Its just a symbol of the way things are done. I think for your entertainment dollar,the race track is a great place to go. One thing you must take into account is if the racetrack could charge the prices of other sports and get people to come,they would charge those prices.Checkout the big event days at the track,they get as much as they can. I'm not saying that is wrong,but you have to realize the cheap prices are due to lack of customer interest.

aaron
05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Grits,
By the way,how many broken seats at Yankee Stadium,do you think go unfixed for over a year ?

Robert Goren
05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Like this case? Other track operators routinely scratch or stick horses? I've been plenty critical of NYRA in the past where their actual operations of the facilities and the programs have warranted criticism. I'm not really entirely sure what to make of the Hayward fiasco, mainly because of the smoking gun - the email. When I read it originally I had the same reaction that another poster had here - that being the editorial liberties taken in using bold emphasis to correlate the reply to one particular sentence in the email.

I'm very skeptical, but I'm skeptical enough of both sides on that particular issue for different reasons that I'm uncomfortable being too opinionated one way or the other. Yeah, I agree that it looks really bad, but I also think that "look" has been gussied up like a cheap hooker and that makes me pause a bit.

But here - I'm just not sure where you point to NYRA to make your point. Maybe they handle scratches differently in New York, but anyplace I've raced at - ultimately it's a steward that signs you "out". As someone else mentioned, most surface change scratches are allowable without penalty or requiring a reason.

I'll accept the premise that there is a house rule about scratching for these reasons prior to some point in the program, but I'm still inclined to believe that when the phone call was made, it was the stewards that called tote and took the horse out. Now, if somehow there was a delay in transmitting that information somewhere, then I can see it falling on NYRA - but with what has been presented here - I'm not seeing anything but a late scratch that was made by the stewards on behalf of Shug. Maybe there is much more to it, but I'm not sure why you would pick this example to go on the offensive about how NYRA should have "done something", especially since you offer no resolution that supports your premise that NYRA could have or should have done something. What should they have done? That is not clear that was happened. The stewards have not commented on it. As how scratches, I have no idea how tracks operate today. I work at a track in the 1960s as a college kid. All scratches at that track was handled by a person working for the track. I knew him personally. Occasionally the track announcer would say a horse was scratched by order of the stewards. That was a white lie. It was actually him who did it.

startngate
05-14-2012, 02:11 PM
That is not clear that was happened. The stewards have not commented on it. As how scratches, I have no idea how tracks operate today. I work at a track in the 1960s as a college kid. All scratches at that track was handled by a person working for the track. I knew him personally. Occasionally the track announcer would say a horse was scratched by order of the stewards. That was a white lie. It was actually him who did it.Scratches are still handled basically the same way. The trainer (or owner on rare occassion) fills out a scratch request card and gives it to one of the racing officials. That person in turn notifies the Stewards, and the Stewards make the decision as to whether or not to grant the request. 99% of the time the request is granted, assuming there is a legitimate reason for the scratch. If not, the horse ultimately can't be forced to run, but fines/suspensions will result.

All horses are actually scratched 'by order of the stewards'. You will also hear 'on advice from the track veterinarian' used in conjunction, but that's no longer a 'white lie' ... at least nowhere I've ever worked.

toetoe
05-14-2012, 02:27 PM

Aaron, you are an extremely nice person, and I look forward to seeing you at the track. You're also a smart guy. It's a tough balancing act sometimes, in life as well, between minutia and the bigger picture. Certainly you can understand that.

Please define "substantial improvements ..." and/or quantify the "number of areas."

N.B. Your Honor, we will stipulate that the ganjaheads in the lavatory are some of the finest people you-know-who has ever met.

Tom
05-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Grits,
By the way,how many broken seats at Yankee Stadium,do you think go unfixed for over a year ?

How many times do they sell out as opposed to Belmont selling out?
Like Andy said, you prioritize.

Tom
05-14-2012, 02:30 PM
That is not clear that was happened. The stewards have not commented on it.

All you know for 100% certainty is is was NYRA's screw up?
If it is not clear what happened, how cash you blame ANYONE?

Oh, I forgot, everything is NYRA's fault.

DeanT
05-14-2012, 03:12 PM
10-Customers who are there every day for years, are never given anything extra. I don't know what you should do for them,but I know players who are there everyday,but are not huge bettors and they have never been catered to in any way.Not even a thank you or nice seeing you.

I have no idea if this is true or not true at NYRA tracks, but I have seen it at other tracks. I always thought it was not that difficult to have a change upstairs where something is done for regulars. Even an exec walking around with a coffee saying "thanks for coming" for a half hour each race day.

It was long a complaint at Woodbine, and they've done a lot better. It's not uncommon at all to see one of the big wigs walking around chatting with regulars. I've even seen them pick up a dinner/beer tab. A couple of years ago the President of racing brought a cake down to the bar area where one regular was having a birthday. It may sound corny, but I think that stuff goes a long, long way in our business.

tzipi
05-14-2012, 05:12 PM
How many times do they sell out as opposed to Belmont selling out?
Like Andy said, you prioritize.

Yankee stadium? Hardly ever now unless maybe Boston or Playoffs. Empty seats everywhere now with these overpriced seats,parking and food. I love Belmont and yeah some things may just a little fixing or whatever but baseball is killing itself with the price gouging and it shows at stadiums now. Those ridiculous Yankee Legend seats? I have never seen them all filled, even in the playoffs. Sorry, got off on a baseball tear :D

Cardus
05-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Grits,

A few years ago -- maybe it was as many as 10 years ago -- I received my Belmont Stakes tickets by mail, and this was more than a week out from the race.

Since the seats were in 2V or 3V (around the 1/8th pole, seats that are used once a year), when I next went to Belmont, I inspected the seats. One was unusable.

I went to the ticket office and explained that the seat needed to be repaired.

It was fixed.